PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL Packers @ Vikings Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

ThunderDan
10-05-2009, 10:56 PM
How about trading Kampman to a 4-3 team for a starting LT or RT?

Sparkey
10-05-2009, 10:57 PM
No handscape between Rodgers/Favre or Favre Mac?

They talked right before Favre interviewd.

imscott72
Brett class act all the way post game

He sure was. Almost looked like he wanted to cry. She tried to get him to throw TT under the bus but he wouldn't. Class act.

retailguy
Well, that is the ball game. Valiant effort at the end. If Lee caught that TD we are going to OT despite getting dominated. That is at least something.

I give Rodgers a ton of credit for continuing to fight tonight. He got his ass destroyed and fought to the end.

Overall this was a dam well played game by Aaron Rodgers; far short of perfect but this is only his second year

I wouldn't say Damn well, it wasn't great imo, but it was a valiant effort and showed a lot of heart in the end.

ARod played fantastic.

could not ask for more. absolutely could not ask for more.

Badgerinmaine
How many sacks did that fuck Allen end up with? Six or so...? :lol:
Four and a half, I think it was.

woodbuck27
Well, that is the ball game. Valiant effort at the end. If Lee caught that TD we are going to OT despite getting dominated. That is at least something.

I give Rodgers a ton of credit for continuing to fight tonight. He got his ass destroyed and fought to the end.

Overall this was a dam well played game by Aaron Rodgers; far short of perfect but this is only his second year
What did Ron Wolf say? He would never put stumblebums in front of Favre?

No one remembers that he struggled to find guards and a new LT, but he eventually got it right in spades.

Thompson needs to get it done now.

Will Ted Thompson ever get it right. . . .

Partial
I cannot believe the game was this close at the end. They were destroyed in all three facets of the game in my opinion. We were a dropped TD away from OT.

What does that say?

I'm so pissed at Capers. The powder puff 4 rushers is what lost the battle on 3rd down and long imo.

Badgerinmaine
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
How about trading Kampman to a 4-3 team for a starting LT or RT?
Midseason trades are mighty rare in the NFL.

retailguy
Well, that just blows. Time to name Harlan as Vice President of Personnel - Offensive Line.

If Levi Jones isn't here tomorrow, we're all fuckin nuts...
You ain't whistling Dixie, unless Colledge is visited by the Ghost of Reggie's Hamstring tonight. Maybe even then. :lol:

So, will Ted be stubborn, or will he patch the leak?

Brandon494
Give props to AR, career high in passing yards yet getting sacked 8 times and pressured the whole game.

Partial

I wouldn't say Damn well, it wasn't great imo, but it was a valiant effort and showed a lot of heart in the end.

ARod played fantastic.

Were we watching the same game? he showed a lot of heart but we had 7 offensive points until they started playing prevent.

I give him immense credit for the come back in the end and am pissed that Lee dropped that pass. ARod did make some really good passes.

woodbuck27
I cannot believe the game was this close at the end. They were destroyed in all three facets of the game in my opinion. We were a dropped TD away from OT.

What does that say?

I'm so pissed at Capers. The powder puff 4 rushers is what lost the battle on 3rd down and long imo.

Viking HC Childress almost let it get away to spite Favre's outstanding game. In the end.

Favre completed 77% of his pass's for 3 TD's and 0 picks for a QB rating of 135.

The Shadow
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM

No one remembers that he struggled to find guards and a new LT, but he eventually got it right in spades.

Already has.
Rodgers.

imscott72

What does that say?

The game wasn't as close as the score. The Vikings relaxed on D and we scored, but come on. We were dominated that whole game in every area. A couple bright spots were Arod playing his ass off and stopping the run. Everything else was horrible.

retailguy

ARod played fantastic.

Were we watching the same game? he showed a lot of heart but we had 7 offensive points until they started playing prevent.

Partial, I do not know which game you were watching. My TV was pretty clear.

Gunakor

What does that say?

3 rushers, many times. There was no pressure because none was sent. If anybody should know how fucking good #4 is when he has SEVEN seconds in the pocket...

Brohm
with a good OL, we might have won this game.

Sign Levi Jones tomorrow. See how Tausch is doing

Resign Clifton (2yr). Resign Colledge. Resign Spitz. Put thm in their right fucking positions.

Draft a young LT to groom. Draft a swing tackle (still hope for Barbre but cannot have that much friggan youth and no LT depth). If Giacomini cannot beat out barbre, trade him.

imscott72
10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
How many sacks did that fuck Allen end up with? Six or so...? :lol:
Four and a half, I think it was.

8 total sacks again tonight? I've lost track on how many that is now. Way into the 20's isn't it? I can't believe Arod can still stand at this point.

pbmax

What does that say?

He put a stranglehold on the best back in all of football and left himself vulnerable to the QB. We then proceeded to fail to take a lead with turnovers and force them to throw without thought to AP.

No strategy holds an offense all day unless the rest of the team holds up its end of the bargain. Offense didn't in the second and third quarters.

Fosco33
Ok, I'm done analyzing this game or watching ESPN for about a week.

Bye week comes at a decent time. Plenty of injuries that need to heal. Plenty of heads that need time to come out of said asses. Time to try out some tackles.

We'll get the Vikes in 3 games and 'get revenge' or whatever.

We'll be 4-2 going into that Nov game - and we'll be 5-2 afterwards.

No worries.

Iron Mike
Favre owns Capers.

Freak Out
10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
If Rodgers has a line that gives him 2 more seconds to work with it's a different game....instead he's getting worked OVER again.

...and we have ZERO sacks.

imscott72

ARod played fantastic.

I give him immense credit for the come back in the end and am pissed that Lee dropped that pass. ARod did make some really good passes.

If TWill doesn't get hosed on that pick and Lee grabs that TD pass, we might have won the game. It's amazing how a couple plays like that change everything.

Partial
[quote=Partial]I cannot believe the game was this close at the end. They were destroyed in all three facets of the game in my opinion. We were a dropped TD away from OT.

What does that say?

The game wasn't as close as the score. The Vikings relaxed on D and we scored, but come on. We were dominated that whole game in every area. A couple bright spots were Arod playing his ass off and stopping the run. Everything else was horrible.[/quote

I agree with you 100%.

MJZiggy
10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, that just blows. Time to name Harlan as Vice President of Personnel - Offensive Line.

You ain't whistling Dixie, unless Colledge is visited by the Ghost of Reggie's Hamstring tonight. Maybe even then. :lol:

Doesn't Clifton come back after the bye?

pbmax

He finds talent. We might have it. But between injury and lack of depth, its a black hole at Left Tackle. We won't know about coaching until Clifton is healthy.

Partial
Is it the bye now?

Brohm
If Rodgers has a line that gives him 2 more seconds to work with it's a different game....instead he's getting worked OVER again.

TT needs to drop some $$ on appropriate extensions and get a couple vets in over the bye.

Iron Mike
If TWill doesn't get hosed on that pick and Lee grabs that TD pass, we might have won the game. It's amazing how a couple plays like that change everything.

How about if Woody's INT in the endzone was held up??

pbmax
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM

Doesn't Clifton come back after the bye?
Depends on the medical report and the interest in Jones. If no one is interested in Jones and Clifton starts in two weeks, I don't think he signs him. If Colledge is gone for a while, then he might.

Badgerinmaine
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Is it the bye now?
Yes.

Badgerinmaine
10-05-2009, 11:04 PM

That would have changed a lot--good point. I can't complain too much about the refs tonight, but that was a ticky-tack call.

Brohm
Speaking of D, our DBackfield is decimated. I don't think TWill is a starter. We have no SS. Collins is a FA after this year. After AL and CW we have squat. Kampman is not fitting well atm. Chillar or Barnett next year?

PackerTimer
Is it the bye now?

Yes it is. Hopefully Clifton will be healthy and we can move Spitz and Colledge back to their normal positions.

I don't recall hearing Barbre's name once tonight. I think he's getting better. Maybe if we can just get some guys back to their normal position things will improve.

But I agree with others, I'd really like to see us bring in a vet or two over the bye and see if we can improve some.

pbmax
10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Favre owns Capers.
That's a little funny because there are at least two wins for the Pack and Favre versus the Steelers that were completely luck. Yancey Thigpen's drop and one other game where Pittsburgh just beat us to death and we still won. I think the second one was in the Burgh.

Badgerinmaine
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Is it the bye now?

Yes it is. Hopefully Clifton will be healthy and we can move Spitz and Colledge back to their normal positions.

I don't recall hearing Barbre's name once tonight. I think he's getting better. Maybe if we can just get some guys back to their normal position things will improve.

But I agree with others, I'd really like to see us bring in a vet or two over the bye and see if we can improve some.
Barbre had a bad play early on, but not as bad later.

pbmax
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM

TT needs to drop some $$ on appropriate extensions and get a couple vets in over the bye.
Well Waldo called it, Colledge will be paid like a guard. :lol:

Fosco33
10-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Iffy call(s) on CWood's INT

TWill wiffing on 3rd down leading to a TD

4th down

Any of those change the game - granted the Vikes wouldn't have been in prevent to make the game closer.

woodbuck27
10-05-2009, 11:08 PM

Already has.
Rodgers.

The QB (ARod) is very sound but there needs to be so much more man.

imscott72
10-05-2009, 11:10 PM

My bad, it was Woody's pick I was referring too..

sheepshead
10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
[quote=Partial]I cannot believe the game was this close at the end. They were destroyed in all three facets of the game in my opinion. We were a dropped TD away from OT.

What does that say?

The game wasn't as close as the score. The Vikings relaxed on D and we scored, but come on. We were dominated that whole game in every area. A couple bright spots were Arod playing his ass off and stopping the run. Everything else was horrible.[/quote

I agree with you 100%.

I rarely agree with that assessment, 60 minutes is 60 minutes, the score is the score. Stats were also close except the mistakes and sacks.

PackerTimer
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Is it the bye now?

Barbre had a bad play early on, but not as bad later.

I think I remember that now. But he's been much better since the Chicago game.

denverYooper
10-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Hoo boy. Going to be an ugly 2 weeks on the Internets. :lol:

Yea. It'll be a good time to hide out and get some work done.

Partial
10-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Rodgers PC on WISN. He is a very good team mate and handles interviews very well.

Partial
10-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow, 55 yards is all AP had on 25 carries? I feel like he had a few long ones, too.

That is something to be happy about. 3rd and long was horrible, though.

Partial
10-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Favre on WISN now for interested parties. He is on the verge of tears. He can't pull off the facade any longer. This game meant A LOT to him.

MJZiggy
10-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Hoo boy. Going to be an ugly 2 weeks on the Internets. :lol:

Yea. It'll be a good time to hide out and get some work done.

I just took a quick look around. I'll see you guys next week.

Partial
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Favre is giving the Pack and his boys a lot of love. Class act.

Rastak
10-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Holy crap I got no voice.

Pretty good victory for my lads. Lang held up well for a few plays with some help but at the end the Vikings were just bringing it and the Pack's OL was completely overmatched.

Vikings completely took the foot off the gas and it nearly cost them.

Pack's run D was great. Kept Peterson completely boxed in off the edge and kept getting penetration on almost every run play.

Bossman641
10-05-2009, 11:38 PM

Pretty good victory for my lads. Lang held up well for a few plays with some help but at the end the Vikings were just bringing it and the Pack's OL was completely overmatched.

Pack's run D was great. Kept Peterson completely boxed in off the edge and kept getting penetration on almost every run play.

Do you live near the stadium or is it just quick getting out of the Mall of America Humphrey Metrodome? You seem to get home pretty quick.

Brohm
10-05-2009, 11:39 PM
There was an OL in that game ?? :?:

Rastak
10-05-2009, 11:40 PM

Do you live near the stadium or is it just quick getting out of the Mall of America Humphrey Metrodome? You seem to get home pretty quick.

I live about 15 minute drive from home in Saint Paul......key is parking by seven corners, beats all the traffic. The place was a pain in the ass to get into, huge crowd but getting out was pretty easy.

We headed out with 50 seconds left after the second onside....that was game set match.

Partial
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
After thinking about this game, I've concluded that this game was way more of a blow out than the score was indicative of. This game was horrible. We were absolutely slaughtered in every sense of the word.

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 03:07 PM
After thinking about this game, I've concluded that this game was way more of a blow out than the score was indicative of. This game was horrible. We were absolutely slaughtered in every sense of the word.

I actually thought the exact opposite, especially after looking at it again and looking at the loss in 1996. Both games had a lot of similarities. Lots of offense by the Packers, very poor LT play, way too many penalties and mistakes, and a defense that collapsed for long enough stretches to let the other team win, even though overall they played fairly well. Very typical Dome game, very similar to 1996, except that the 2009 version of the Vikings is better than the 1996 version and the 2009 version of the Packers is not as good as 1996. Packers have a lot of talent on their roster. They just have to make it work better.

Partial
10-07-2009, 03:15 PM

I actually thought the exact opposite, especially after looking at it again and looking at the loss in 1996. Both games had a lot of similarities. Lots of offense by the Packers, very poor LT play, way too many penalties and mistakes, and a defense that collapsed for long enough stretches to let the other team win, even though overall they played fairly well. Very typical Dome game, very similar to 1996, except that the 2009 version of the Vikings is better than the 1996 version and the 2009 version of the Packers is not as good as 1996. Packers have a lot of talent on their roster. They just have to make it work better.

I disagree. They didn't have a lot of offense. They had very few sustained drives and as a result had very few points until garbage time when the Viking's were in prevent and took the food off the brakes. I don't understand why teams use the prevent D because it doesn't really prevent anything but the long bomb, and with our guys skills after the catch we will carve them up on the mid-range plays.

Offensively we were horrible. The pressure to ARod was astronomically worse in the second half (from memory) than the first imo. Remember we had two trips to the redzone screwed up by two turnovers (the pick and the fumble) early in the game.

Outside of big plays from Finley and Nelson, I think we had a lot of trouble moving the ball.

Defensively, we were obliterated on 3rd downs imo. Sure, we stopped them a few times and made them punt, but only after they got in to position where they could pin us back into horrible field position.

All around, this was a terrible game. The Viking's looked like they had the better unit in every aspect of the game. OL, DL, LB, WR, RB, QB, CB, S, P, K and Coach. It was an absolute slaughtering.

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 04:15 PM
They had very few sustained drives

How many drives did they have? What number of plays did they have in each drive? What were the results of the drives? How did they end? Please post this information and then we can discuss further. Should be interesting.

SkinBasket
10-07-2009, 04:24 PM

I disagree. They didn't have a lot of offense. They had very few sustained drives and as a result had very few points until garbage time when the Viking's were in prevent and took the food off the brakes. I don't understand why teams use the prevent D because it doesn't really prevent anything but the long bomb, and with our guys skills after the catch we will carve them up on the mid-range plays.

Offensively we were horrible. The pressure to ARod was astronomically worse in the second half (from memory) than the first imo. Remember we had two trips to the redzone screwed up by two turnovers (the pick and the fumble) early in the game.

Outside of big plays from Finley and Nelson, I think we had a lot of trouble moving the ball.

Defensively, we were obliterated on 3rd downs imo. Sure, we stopped them a few times and made them punt, but only after they got in to position where they could pin us back into horrible field position.

All around, this was a terrible game. The Viking's looked like they had the better unit in every aspect of the game. OL, DL, LB, WR, RB, QB, CB, S, P, K and Coach. It was an absolute slaughtering.

You should sell life insurance.

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
DRIVE 1: GNB 0, MIN 0, 8 plays, 66 yards, 5:38 elapsed (fumble lost)

DRIVE 2: GNB 7, MIN 7, 3 plays, 67 yards, 1:04 elapsed (TD to Finley)

DRIVE 3: GNB 7, MIN 7, 7 plays, 26 yards, 4:15 elapsed (INT)

DRIVE 4: GNB 7, MIN 14, 3 plays, -2 yards, 1:17 elapsed (punt)

DRIVE 5: GNB 14, MIN 21, 6 plays, 29 yards, 0:30 elapsed (half)

DRIVE 6: GNB 14, MIN 28, 14 plays, 81 yards, 8:28 elapsed (dropped TD)

DRIVE 7: GNB 14, MIN 28, 3 plays, 9 yards, 1:36 elapsed

DRIVE 8: GNB 14, MIN 30, 2 plays, 0 yards, 1:28 elapsed (Safety)

DRIVE 9: GNB 20, MIN 30, 6 plays, 96 yards, 1:19 elapsed (TD)

DRIVE 10: GNB 23, MIN 30, 9 plays, 68 yards, 2:15 elapsed (FG)

5/10 drives were for 60 yards or more

65(TD), -4, 77(TD),84(TD),80 (TD),41,9,6,0,0,-2

Minnesota had 11 drives, with 4 for 60 or more (scoring on all of them). Only one other drive got a first down, Packers had two other drives with first downs. Seems the main difference were those turnovers.

ThunderDan
10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Horrible offensive game. We netted 424 yards. Grossed 466 yards. NFL average thru 4 weeks is somewhere around 325 yards.

SkinBasket
10-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Horrible offensive game. We netted 424 yards. Grossed 466 yards. NFL average thru 4 weeks is somewhere around 325 yards.

That Peterson guy kicked the shit out of us too.

retailguy
10-07-2009, 04:41 PM
You should sell life insurance.

http://www.threedonia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wkrp_l2.jpg

Freak Out
10-07-2009, 04:47 PM
The D shot itself in the foot a few times which killed our chances of winning....blown coverage how many times? Just embarrassing. I think there might have been another penalty called on the play where they called holding on Woodson when he picked Favre in the endzone so maybe that wouldn't have mattered but that was a fuck job. The "turnstile tackles" let Rodgers get hammered again....sure there were times when he should have gotten rid of the ball but it might have ended up as grounding or picked just as easily. I'm surprised Rodgers didn't end the game in the fetal position....

We were not blown out...even with all the fucked up shit that happened we still had a shot....amazingly.

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
If you just take the three turnovers: fumble, INT and downs and turn them into the least points - 3 FG, that's 32 points. Lee catches the TD, that's 36 points. The game was a lot closer than it looked. I suspect the game in GB will look a lot different so long as there are no major injuries in the interim.

pbmax
10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
If you just take the three turnovers: fumble, INT and downs and turn them into the least points - 3 FG, that's 32 points. Lee catches the TD, that's 36 points. The game was a lot closer than it looked. I suspect the game in GB will look a lot different so long as there are no major injuries in the interim.
Yes, but like playing Dallas in the early 90s, the Packers shot themselves in the foot enough that they (Vikings) were on cruise control in the 4th Quarter. They had opportunities, but just improving scoring won't be enough.

I agree with your point though, eliminate the mistakes on both side of the ball and they have the talent to win. The talent disparity is not as great as being portrayed. In key places (LT, OLB/rushDE) the Vikes have an edge.

Partial
10-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Minnesota had 11 drives, with 4 for 60 or more (scoring on all of them). Only one other drive got a first down, Packers had two other drives with first downs. Seems the main difference were those turnovers.

1st drive: Great drive until the end of it, no one would debate.

2nd drive: Big play, good drive.

6 straight drives without a score, though the 81 yard with the TD drop was a very good drive.

The last two drives were against prevent in garbage time when they were up by 16 points. They dropped into pervent and gave us the short pass. I would give a lot more credit to these drives if they were earlier in the game.

Not completely awful because they had a couple of long drives with key turnovers.

Of course if you eliminate the mistakes the team would have won. If you eliminate every mistake from every game, every team would be perfect. The thing is we made those mistakes and were down by 16 points until a couple of garbage time gimme scores.

Partial
10-07-2009, 05:37 PM

Looking at yardage is like looking at maybe 5% of the total story. The bottom line is they scored 14 points until garbage time and had poor execution when it mattered. So what if they put up 600 yards between the 20's but couldn't score a touchdown? What good is that?

MOBB DEEP
10-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Time to move on..guess some of you cats break down film too....

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 06:13 PM

1st drive: Great drive until the end of it, no one would debate.

2nd drive: Big play, good drive.

6 straight drives without a score, though the 81 yard with the TD drop was a very good drive.

The last two drives were against prevent in garbage time when they were up by 16 points. They dropped into pervent and gave us the short pass. I would give a lot more credit to these drives if they were earlier in the game.

Not completely awful because they had a couple of long drives with key turnovers.

Of course if you eliminate the mistakes the team would have won. If you eliminate every mistake from every game, every team would be perfect. The thing is we made those mistakes and were down by 16 points until a couple of garbage time gimme scores.

My main reason for posting was to counter your claims that the "Offense was horrible" and that we "had no sustained drives." Those claims hold no water.

The key to the game for Minnesota was forcing the turnovers (they get credit for that) and for having two long, sustained drives to go up by two TDs. That's how they won the game. The Packer offense has issues, but they are not as a group 'horrible.'

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Looking at yardage is like looking at maybe 5% of the total story. The bottom line is they scored 14 points until garbage time and had poor execution when it mattered. So what if they put up 600 yards between the 20's but couldn't score a touchdown? What good is that?

Well, an offense that puts up 100 yards and scores 14 points is likely to be dramatically different than an offense that puts up 400 and scores the same. Stats never tell the whole story, nor typically does one game against a very good team on the road in a venue where your team historically struggles.

esoxx
10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
When you go six consecutive series w/o scoring a point, that's bad. You typically lose when that happens.
As M3 would say, they need to clean that up.
You do that Mike, please!