PDA

View Full Version : The Lion, The Coach and Peter King

pbmax
10-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Wall Street Journal Interviews Peter King (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125417474811047435.html?mod=WSJ_hps_RIGHTTopCaro usel)

And wasn't this Travis Jersey and LeShon Johnson? And wasn't it a snake?

The Wall Street Journal: In the book, you offer up the stories behind your 20 most unforgettable articles. What story did you most enjoy doing?

Mr. King: Probably spending a week inside the Green Bay Packers in 1995. That was really the pre-Internet days and I stayed in Green Bay for a week during the season. [Then-head coach] Mike Holmgren allowed me unfettered access. You are involved in all of the coaching meetings. I once had Holmgren call in two young players and tell them they could not keep their pet in their apartment in Green Bay. I asked him, "What pet?" He said, "It's come to my attention these two guys had a lion." It's true. They had a lion in their apartment. He told them they weren't going to be on the team on Monday if the lion was still in their apartment. Holmgren looked at me and said, "Here I am preparing for the biggest game of the year and I've got to spend 20 minutes telling these guys to get rid of their lion."

It was also fun watching how Brett Favre lived his life. He'd go home and help his daughter with her homework, he'd watch the Discovery channel, the Golf channel, the History channel. He wasn't watching Seinfeld or whatever. He just was watching stuff you'd be very surprised Favre was watching. He liked to watch a lot of war stuff

bobblehead
10-04-2009, 04:35 PM
I thought it was two zebras and a monkey.

gbgary
10-04-2009, 04:35 PM
i thought it was two girls and a cup.

funny story. i remember travis and lashon but no pet stories. was it really pre internet?

Rastak
10-04-2009, 04:37 PM
funny story. i remember travis and lashon but no pet stories. was it really pre internet?

I started surfing the web around 1995...obviously the internet WAY predates that but the popularity of the world wide web was mid 90's.

retailguy
10-04-2009, 04:37 PM

I was on the internet, but very non graphical in those days. 28.8 baud modem, I believe, might have even been 14.4.

Rastak
10-04-2009, 04:40 PM

I was on the internet, but very non graphical in those days. 28.8 baud modem, I believe, might have even been 14.4.

Those we the days of the 28 baud modem and good ole Netscape Navigator....the days of Compuserve and Prodigy.

My network computing dates to the 80's and BBS's and a 4 baud modem.

gbgary
10-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Those we the days of the 28 baud modem and good ole Netscape Navigator....the days of Compuserve and Prodigy.

that was the way i remember it...'95.

Spaulding
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM

Quiz of the day, what pre dates the WWW? Gopher I believe. Sigh, long gone the days of OS/2, Windows 3.11 and BBS's.

Rastak
10-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Quiz of the day, what pre dates the WWW? Gopher I believe. Sigh, long gone the days of OS/2, Windows 3.11 and BBS's.

I supported OS/2 desktops back then. OS/2's windows emulation (emulating 3.11) really sucked.

Spaulding
10-04-2009, 04:58 PM

I supported OS/2 desktops back then. OS/2's windows emulation (emulating 3.11) really sucked.

Absolutely. The only thing worse probably was trying to get the mwave modems working :)

Rastak
10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I think we jacked PB's thread.

gbgary
10-04-2009, 05:05 PM
i'll put us back on the track...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

MJZiggy
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
i'll put us back on the track...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

Wrong room, dear.

Pugger
10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I remember that story about the pet lion in the P-G back then. Crazy guy that Travis was.

gbgary
10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Wrong room, dear.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

falco
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Falco remembers the days of connecting to the BBS via a 1200 baud modem.

Any real old school computer nerd knows the noise of a 1200 baud modem connecting...

pbmax
10-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Never mind a thread going off track.

Used to use BBS's on 300 baud modem. My internet was AOL before it was a local ISP. Used to have links to rudimentary newspaper websites on our fantasy football webpage that we maintained. Netscape Navigator all the way. Probably about 94 or 95.

I still think it was a snake and not a lion, but I have been wrong before.

Rastak
10-04-2009, 06:57 PM

Used to use BBS's on 300 baud modem. My internet was AOL before it was a local ISP. Used to have links to rudimentary newspaper websites on our fantasy football webpage that we maintained. Netscape Navigator all the way. Probably about 94 or 95.

Doh, yea I meant a 300 baud modem in my earlier post.....connected to a Commodore 64.

pbmax
10-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Doh, yea I meant a 300 baud modem in my earlier post.....connected to a Commodore 64.
Did you have the Epson printer that was so incompatible with the Commodore that you needed a connector that was essentially a modem with dip switches to get it to connect correctly? I loved that printer. 9 pin impact is the way to go. Sounded like a machine gun attack when printing a paper for school. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Ty was on the net back in 92. But, a T1 line. Working for the military had its advantages.

Also spoiled me...never could see the reason to get it at home.

Ahh, he good ol days....gopher, telnet, ftp...actually knowing how to ftp. Using Pico.

Ty remembers begging his boss to purchase 4 megs of ram so he could go from 4 to 8 and run photoshop a bit better....think 4 megs was around 300 hundred....HUGE req for his boss.

Back then, ty was stylin with his Umax Mac Clone with a 1000 dollars worth of ram...think it was maybe 93-94.

Rastak
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM

Did you have the Epson printer that was so incompatible with the Commodore that you needed a connector that was essentially a modem with dip switches to get it to connect correctly? I loved that printer. 9 pin impact is the way to go. Sounded like a machine gun attack when printing a paper for school. :lol:

Actually I had a friggen Plotter of all things....I can't recall how the hell I got the thing.

pbmax
10-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Ty was on the net back in 92. But, a T1 line. Working for the military had its advantages.

Also spoiled me...never could see the reason to get it at home.

Ahh, he good ol days....gopher, telnet, ftp...actually knowing how to ftp. Using Pico.

Ty remembers begging his boss to purchase 4 megs of ram so he could go from 4 to 8 and run photoshop a bit better....think 4 megs was around 300 hundred....HUGE req for his boss.

Back then, ty was stylin with his Umax Mac Clone with a 1000 dollars worth of ram...think it was maybe 93-94.
I remember reading instructions once for browsing the internet using your FTP client. Essentially working offline with saved pages. It was for people who could not get port 80 at work/school or had such a slow speed that reading it in real time would have led to insanity.

Deputy Nutz
10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Wall Street Journal Interviews Peter King (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125417474811047435.html?mod=WSJ_hps_RIGHTTopCaro usel)

The Wall Street Journal: In the book, you offer up the stories behind your 20 most unforgettable articles. What story did you most enjoy doing?

Mr. King: Probably spending a week inside the Green Bay Packers in 1995. That was really the pre-Internet days and I stayed in Green Bay for a week during the season. [Then-head coach] Mike Holmgren allowed me unfettered access. You are involved in all of the coaching meetings. I once had Holmgren call in two young players and tell them they could not keep their pet in their apartment in Green Bay. I asked him, "What pet?" He said, "It's come to my attention these two guys had a lion." It's true. They had a lion in their apartment. He told them they weren't going to be on the team on Monday if the lion was still in their apartment. Holmgren looked at me and said, "Here I am preparing for the biggest game of the year and I've got to spend 20 minutes telling these guys to get rid of their lion."

It was also fun watching how Brett Favre lived his life. He'd go home and help his daughter with her homework, he'd watch the Discovery channel, the Golf channel, the History channel. He wasn't watching Seinfeld or whatever. He just was watching stuff you'd be very surprised Favre was watching. He liked to watch a lot of war stuff

Yep, I remember the story. To bad LeShon Johnson got busted for running a Pitbull fighting ring. This was probably 5 years ago in Oklahoma, before Vick

pbmax
10-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Actually I had a friggen Plotter of all things....I can't recall how the hell I got the thing.
Clearly you were nicking equipment from an architectural firm. Or a reprographics place. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
10-05-2009, 08:43 AM

Yep, I remember the story. To bad LeShon Johnson got busted for running a Pitbull fighting ring. This was probably 5 years ago in Oklahoma, before Vick

Who were the players involved?

Deputy Nutz
10-05-2009, 08:56 AM

Travis Jervey and Leshon Johnson owned the lion.
Who were the players involved?

Bossman641
10-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Can't add anything to the internet talk, but yes it was Leshon and Travis and I'm pretty sure they had a lion cub.

gbgary
10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
ya know...the more i think about this...the more i do kinda remember it.

Freak Out
10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
IBM DOS.