PDA

View Full Version : Who were the refs tonight?

Bossman641
10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Anyone know? There is one crew, Gene something perhaps, who always seems to call a huge percentage of penalties on the Packers. Were they doing the game?

Jimx29
10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
does it really matter? #4 is outplaying the entire Pack....like it or not

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm no ref, and even I saw 3 facemasks commited by the Queens that the ref's "didn't see" or call.

I also saw many rather blatant holds - non calls by the refs.

I figure if my dumb ass can spot that shit - then a trained & seasoned NFL ref ought to. I can excuse 1 or 2 non calls in a game - everyone's human, but last night - the refs were also against us.

This does not however, excuse the pathetic play of our O-line.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I forgot the "refs" as an excuse.

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm no ref, and even I saw 3 facemasks commited by the Queens that the ref's "didn't see" or call.

I figure if my dumb ass can spot that shit - then a trained & seasoned NFL ref ought to. I can excuse 1 or 2 non calls in a game - everyone's human, but last night - the refs were also against us.

You mean the illegal hands to the face by their o-line ? Easy to stop a guy from rushing when you can tork their head back...... BUT, even if they made those calls, I don't know if the outcome of the game would have changed.

Willard
10-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Bud Grant, Alan Page, and Chuck Foreman? :lol:

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 10:40 AM

You mean the illegal hands to the face by their o-line ? Easy to stop a guy from rushing when you can tork their head back...... BUT, even if they made those calls, I don't know if the outcome of the game would have changed.

I do recall one of the blatant non calls as hands to the face by their o-line, yes. Especially on Kampman during a slow-mo replay.

I agree that that may not have changed the outcome of the game, but it still really pisses me off that we seem to plaing against the zebra's this year also.

And Nutz - you're just that. Way to live up to your name bro. :D

MichiganPackerFan
10-06-2009, 10:40 AM

We didn't get ANY pressure last night, but when I see kampman pulled down by the facemask coming through the line, there needs to be a call. THe refs were fans not officials. The should not influence the game, and they did.

denverYooper
10-06-2009, 10:41 AM

To be fair, they didn't call some blatant holding on our linemen as well. I got the feeling that they just weren't calling a lot of holding on the lines.

The penalties are concerning, though. I feel like we get jobbed sometimes, but given our team's penalty history of the last few years, are we? Or are we jobbing ourselves most of the time? Like Chillar's taunting penalty. That was just stupid.

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 10:53 AM

To be fair, they didn't call some blatant holding on our linemen as well. I got the feeling that they just weren't calling a lot of holding on the lines.

The penalties are concerning, though. I feel like we get jobbed sometimes, but given our team's penalty history of the last few years, are we? Or are we jobbing ourselves most of the time? Like Chillar's taunting penalty. That was just stupid.

Penalties are indeed an issue for this team. I'm just not sure how much of it is the ref's calling based on "reputation" versus non-calls, and BS calls.

They probably all factor into it. Either way - I think we got jobbed in more than our fair share.

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Calls are calls, good teams overcome penalties. No sense in complaining about percieved missed calls.

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Calls are calls, good teams overcome penalties. No sense in complaining about percieved missed calls.

I obviously disagree.

I think that the NFL referee system has been in great need of overhaul/change for basically my entire life. I thought the advent of replay would change it - and to some extent it has, but this whole business of subjectivity on the field has affected the outcome of far too many NFL games in my opinion. They really need to incorporate refs upstairs "in the box" armed with all of the technology available to them. Among other things.

I don't really expect change - but there is use in bitching about it der hey Cheesehead Craig:

It makes me feel slightly better!

Anyone else that wants to complain about the refs - feel free. I think they suck,

mmmdk
10-06-2009, 11:42 AM

You got sense! :bclap:

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2009, 11:51 AM

I obviously disagree.

I think that the NFL referee system has been in great need of overhaul/change for basically my entire life. I thought the advent of replay would change it - and to some extent it has, but this whole business of subjectivity on the field has affected the outcome of far too many NFL games in my opinion. They really need to incorporate refs upstairs "in the box" armed with all of the technology available to them. Among other things.

I don't really expect change - but there is use in bitching about it der hey Cheesehead Craig:

Anyone else that wants to complain about the refs - feel free. I think they suck,
I'm not saying that the ref system is perfect, I'd love some changes to it. But the complaining about missed calls or perceived biasness is useless.

mission
10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Well we're not a "good team" based on a 2-2 record (we're an average team) so again, that begs the question, why couldn't we get a hold called on the vikings all night? I saw a handful of them.

Average teams need an even playing field... or at least a little luck and love along the way. We aren't a "good team" who can overcome penalties. Looks nice and all cliche on a forum but the reality is it helped make things too much to overcome (among many other things).

mmmdk
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Well we're not a "good team" based on a 2-2 record (we're an average team) so again, that begs the question, why couldn't we get a hold called on the vikings all night? I saw a handful of them.

Average teams need an even playing field... or at least a little luck and love along the way. We aren't a "good team" who can overcome penalties. Looks nice and all cliche on a forum but the reality is it helped make things too much to overcome (among many other things).

Yes but that cliche is the truth.

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM

I obviously disagree.

I'm not saying that the ref system is perfect, I'd love some changes to it. But the complaining about missed calls or perceived biasness is useless.

If it's so useless to you - then why the redundant post? (rhetorical question - no response necessary)

But since you're partaking in echoing, dual repetitive redundancies...

There is use in complaining about this - it makes me FEEL slightly better. I gotta imagine I'm not the only other soul on the planet who can see this.

mission
10-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Which doesn't apply to us at all, but thanks ...

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM

I obviously disagree.

If it's so useless to you - then why the redundant post? (rhetorical question - no response necessary)

But since you're partaking in echoing, dual repetitive redundancies...

There is use in complaining about this - it makes me FEEL slightly better. I gotta imagine I'm not the only other soul on the planet who can see this.
Four posts from you about the refs and I'm redundant? :lol:

SMACKTALKIE
10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Blaming a loss on the refs is simply a form of denial. "They" say a holding call can be made on every play and apparently the Pack's D line can't stay out of the neutral zone.

I did not think the refs were great, but they did not help the Pack lose this one. If anything they helped the Pack get points with what I thought were late whistles. Peterson's forward progress was stopped before Matthews stripped the ball. They missed the call on 4th down with the tipped catch and Chilly is to stupid to locate his red flag for a challenge. Although Winfield made up for that.

It was not the best refed game, but it was not as one-sided as this thread is making it out to be.

MichiganPackerFan
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM

I obviously disagree.

SO is complaining about personnel and coaches that need to be fired, etc. Hell, why even discuss football at all?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Execute the refs along with a couple of packers.

One or two bullets into a ref or a dear loved one..bam, ty guarantees they will get better.

It is amazing how much better you get when your life is on the line.

Maybe ty has seen too many movies, but ty doubts it.

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2009, 01:45 PM

I obviously disagree.

SO is complaining about personnel and coaches that need to be fired, etc. Hell, why even discuss football at all?

Discussing football is one thing, whining about officiating is another animal entirely.

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 02:00 PM

I obviously disagree.

Discussing football is one thing, whining about officiating is another animal entirely.

Geezus man.
Whaddya? A ref yourself?

Let a bastard who's not happy with the game whine about the refs after a tough loss. You don't wanna whine with us? It's totally cool man. Perhaps you should refrain from posting in a thread that amounts to just that? I'm sure you of all posters can see the lack of usefulness and lack of point.

Also - I'm not blaming the loss on the officiating, just saying that they sure didn't help, and therefore they suck.

I'm with Ty on this one - but not literally - only in a playful, I'm venting on a friggin internet chat board kinda way.

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM
does it really matter? #4 is outplaying the entire Pack....like it or not

Look at the way the light glistens off his helmet.

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM

You got sense! :bclap:

so when a ref calls a fumble when he standing on top of the play and the player was clearly down about 2 YARDS earlier in the end zone you don't think the ref was LOOKING to be able to call a fumble instead of objectively calling the play?? HE missed a fvcking safety for christs sake...from 9 feet away!! He wasn't doing his job, you can speculate or whatever you want, but he was obviously looking for something other than a player who was down. Rodgers was sacked...his knee then hit the ground....then he fell forward...then his elbow hit THE GROUND causing the ball to jar loose...and the ref called...a fumble. :shock:

The OL of the vikings were torquing Kampmans head so bad my friend said "is this where the ref tells reggie white to stop whining?"

Favre tosses a pick in the endzone and TWO flags fly immediately...the PI wasn't thrown until AFTER CWood had the ball. I'll have to look again to see if he was reaching for it, if I can get that angle. No idea on the offsides since no replay was shown of that area.

I actually beg to differ, good teams have plenty of trouble overcoming a bad call. Last year the holding on Moll cost us the Texans game and its arguable that the hold on college cost us the one vikings game. MIGHT a team overcome a bad call...sure, but it ain't easy.

The last time we got the benefit of some calls that I can recall was the '07 championship game where the giants lost a long TD run on a bad call. We got a few others that game too...almost like the league had an agenda to get BF back to the superbowl one more time for ratings. Strangely all this bad officiatiing started soon after TT and MM tried to "force" the NFL's cash cow to retire.

I didn't know David Stern was the new commissioner of the NFL. Maybe michael Jordan can pull down ARods pants at midfield with no call like he did to mark Jackson in the conference finals years ago. I haven't watched a basketball game in over 5 years...I really hope my favorite sport isn't ruined too.

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Not even remotely the truth...why have refs if they don't matter? I mean, why call holding if a "good team" can overcome it?

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Blaming a loss on the refs is simply a form of denial. "They" say a holding call can be made on every play and apparently the Pack's D line can't stay out of the neutral zone.

I did not think the refs were great, but they did not help the Pack lose this one. If anything they helped the Pack get points with what I thought were late whistles. Peterson's forward progress was stopped before Matthews stripped the ball. They missed the call on 4th down with the tipped catch and Chilly is to stupid to locate his red flag for a challenge. Although Winfield made up for that.

It was not the best refed game, but it was not as one-sided as this thread is making it out to be.

Yes, I agree that the officials let peterson fight for extra yards, then when he doesn't get them they rule his progress stopped....can't ahve it both ways. As for the tipped catch, I agree we got the benefit of one marginal call all game (that chilly could have challenged, you can't challenge...hey, they facemasked kampman)...what about the one play were a viking drilled our guy 2 yards out of bounds with no flag??

PlantPage55
10-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Well, I don't know if the bad reffing has cost us any games yet, but I will say this:

This was the referee that Brett slapped on the ass 2 years ago. At one point, you could clearly see Gene laughing it up with Jared Allen. I honestly believe that their crew was giving favorable spots to the Vikings all night. No penalties for the Vikes in the first half says something and I DON'T mean that the Vikings executed flawlessly.

Now again, I don't think that this cost us the game. If we want to win a game like this, we need to play better. Our defense, especially on 3rd down, was inexcusable.

But the reffing committee is CLEARLY in the wrong when they LOOK like they are being "buddy-buddy" with the players on the field. Whatever happened to referees being stoic executors of the NFL rulebook? Now they are quickly becoming high-five slapping, jokers who are becoming increasingly bad at doing their jobs without all these fans around the ENTIRE NFL getting angry and calling them out on it.