PDA

View Full Version : Optimists thread

Bossman641
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Know it's gonna be a rough 2 weeks around here.

Time for this team to regroup and get it in gear. 2-2 is not where I hoped to be at this point in the season but we're not out of it. I just hate going into the bye week off a loss. Only positive is that maybe it makes this one sting for a while.

Need to come out of the bye week, pick up 2 big wins and pay the Vikings back.

Rodgers has more then showed his toughness so far. This team needs to get healthy.

Way too early to give up

b bulldog
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
You can blow up this entire team except for #12. This team has no passrush, no running game, no pass protection, and they have way to little blue chip players.

BallHawk
You can blow up this entire team except for #12. This team has no passrush, no running game, no pass protection, and they have way to little blue chip players.

Hard to have a running game if the coach never gives the RB the damn ball.

3irty1

Wrong thread.

Freak Out
10-05-2009, 11:05 PM

This is the glass half full thread dude...... :)

sheepshead
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
I loved the way we contained AD. If we cut the mistakes in half, we're in this thing despite the atrocious OL. I have new respect for MM also, nice play-calling, nice game plan. Start benching guys that commit penalties, or something.

PackerTimer
10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
We have two weeks to get healthy and improve this team.

I'm with you guys. I honestly think this team will be 5-2 going into the rematch with the Vikes. Let's not forget that this wasn't a game most of us would have picked as a W before Favre joined the Vikes. Also, we've played two 3-1 teams and a 4-0 team. It's not like the schedule has been a cake walk.

This season is not over.

steve823
10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I know everyone's going to whine and fight around here so I'll stay cclear for a while but this is a good thread.

Besdies the obvious problems we showed promise. Jermichael Finely getting better by the game and is emerging as the huge star we all expected. Clay Matthews is looking pretty good to this point also..he is still raw, but he plays with a lot of passion. And obviously Rodgers playing great, except for his occasionally taking the sack.

If you think about it if Lee caught the TD, and Derrick Martin didn't blow his coverage and he helped Harris over the top it would be a different game. Also the Woodson INT call was iffy, but there was offsides anyways so it wasn't a big deal.

Anyways it was a good game to watch overall and with people healing up on the O-line and our defense coming together in future weeks we can make a playoff run. Cheers.

PackerTimer
10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I loved the way we contained AD. If we cut the mistakes in half, we're in this thing despite the atrocious OL. I have new respect for MM also, nice play-calling, nice game plan. Start benching guys that commit penalties, or something.

I hope the screen pass is here to say. We have some O-lineman who are perfect for it. It might be all they are perfect for but at least it's something.

Freak Out
10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
If if if if if if if if.......

sheepshead
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM
If you think about it if Lee caught the TD, and Derrick Martin didn't blow his coverage and he helped Harris over the top it would be a different game

yup

BallHawk
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM
WE HAVE A BYE WEEK NEXT WEEK AND THEN WE PLAY DETROIT AND CLEVELAND.

sheepshead
10-05-2009, 11:14 PM
If we beat them in Lambeau by more than 7, I'll take that going into this year.

Brohm
10-05-2009, 11:14 PM
ARod cannot use all the weapons at his disposal given how atrocius this OL is. Needs to be fixed. Hell call Bruce Wilkerson!! :)

Freak Out
10-05-2009, 11:15 PM

:bclap: :wave: :bump: :alc: :wow: :knll: :flag: :rock:

Partial

Yep. Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

steve823

:glug:

sheepshead
10-05-2009, 11:17 PM

:glug:

I just had that embroidered on a pillow.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM

this is a big F*ck you, bulldog. This is the OPTIMISM THREAD. If you can't post something optimistic then stay outta this thread. There are plenty of bitch and moan threads. And, that goes for you as well, Partial..with your little sniping comment.

Is there no place or thread where positivity can be had on this forum. Stay the fuck out of the one thread that asks for positivity. Is it that hard to find one thing to say positive?

And, Joe the admin, if you wanna ban me for this...go ahead. I'm sorry.

woodbuck27
10-05-2009, 11:19 PM

Packers 4-2 after those games. Lots to hope for.

Bretsky

I thought we had a cupcake when we were defeated by the Bungals

I'm still cautiously optimistic but let's be honest.

NONE of us would have taken 2-2 before the season. Maybe 3-1.

Going to be a long two weeks

I do think we'll end up at 4-2 after that but in the same tone I predicated a win tonight

sheepshead
and how 'bout Ryan Grant earning his keep today??

Bretsky
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM

this is a big F*ck you, bulldog. This is the OPTIMISM THREAD. If you can't post something optimistic then stay outta this thread. There are plenty of bitch and moan threads.

Is there no place or thread where positivity can be had on this forum. Stay the fuck out.

you are not being optimistic :lol:

Bossman641
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
The other thing is that the offense played much more ball control this week. This was the exact opposite of the past few weeks only hitting on long passes. Need to get a good mix going between the 2. Tough to throw down the field though when you have no time.

BallHawk
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM

You mean the Bungals team that beat the defending SB champs and would be undefeated if it wasn't for a fluke TD? The Bengals are a good team, I have no shame in losing to them.

I'll happily take 4-2 going into our showdown with the Vikes at Lambeau.

Partial
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM
The other thing is that the offense played much more ball control this week. This was the exact opposite of the past few weeks only hitting on long passes. Need to get a good mix going between the 2. Tough to throw down the field though when you have no time.

Grant showed us that he can catch and execute a screen. I recall his first impression as a Packer was a big screen pass against NYG. They need to take advantage of this and some more short passing.

Bossman641
10-05-2009, 11:22 PM
and how 'bout Ryan Grant earning his keep today??

I thought he looked pretty good tonight too.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-05-2009, 11:23 PM

this is a big F*ck you, bulldog. This is the OPTIMISM THREAD. If you can't post something optimistic then stay outta this thread. There are plenty of bitch and moan threads.

Is there no place or thread where positivity can be had on this forum. Stay the fuck out.

you are not being optimistic :lol:

Yes, i was....optimistic that joe won't ban ty. :lol:

Lurker64
10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
I really do like the core of this team. Whether it's with Thompson and McCarthy or their successors, I think that a lot of the young guys we have could very well be special. Jennings, Nelson, and Jones could very well be a great 3 WR set for years to come, Clay Matthews looks to be solid at the playmaking position in the defense, in about a year or so Raji will be in his natural position on the DL, There's not much to complain about Rodgers and the interior OL is pretty decent, Collins is a solid FS, Finley could very well be special. There's a few holes to fill (LT, SS, RB are the ones that stand out in my mind) and this team could very well be great for a decade.

I wasn't looking for 14-2 this year, 10-6 and a wild card berth seems about right, and this team could very well make some noise in the playoffs.

Bossman641
10-05-2009, 11:26 PM

Grant showed us that he can catch and execute a screen. I recall his first impression as a Packer was a big screen pass against NYG. They need to take advantage of this and some more short passing.

You are correct Partial. I'm 99% sure his first real play as a Packer was a screen for 20+.

Bretsky
10-05-2009, 11:27 PM

You mean the Bungals team that beat the defending SB champs and would be undefeated if it wasn't for a fluke TD? The Bengals are a good team, I have no shame in losing to them.

I'll happily take 4-2 going into our showdown with the Vikes at Lambeau.

I'd take 4-2 now that we are 2-2

Did you watch that Bengals squad against the pathetic Brownies ? They were dam fortunate to win that game

BallHawk
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
I'd take 4-2 now that we are 2-2

Did you watch that Bengals squad against the pathetic Brownies ? They were dam fortunate to win that game

True, but if Shayne Graham makes that XP in regulation that game isn't blown up as much. You know that any divisional game isn't as simple as Team A is more talented than Team B. Intrastate rivalry, on the road....not a gimme win. The Bengals are gonna turn some heads if they keep this up.

denverYooper
10-05-2009, 11:42 PM
I thought we moved the ball well against a traditionally good D and got our short game working a bit.

Nice to see Finley make some plays.

Holding AP to 2.2 yards a carry is pretty impressive...

Matthews also, looked pretty good for a rook.

Bossman641
10-06-2009, 12:08 AM
One more point to add. Seems like Poppinga is getting less PT every week. That's a positive.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
One more point to add. Seems like Poppinga is getting less PT every week. That's a positive.

Maybe we can trade him for a backup offensive lineman.

Zool
10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Well I guess McCarthy granted me my wish and got Finley involved. The matador O-line tried to get Rodgers killed as retaliation.

I am optimistic that there are 12 more games to be played.

MichiganPackerFan
10-06-2009, 08:02 AM

Yep. Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

I have a co-worker with horrible flatulence. Counts there too.

cheesner
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
- Clay Matthews. First game I have seen him play and he looks like a player. Ripping the ball from AP and getting points was a thing of beauty.

- TJ Lang. Believe it or not. His first action against the league leader in sacks (now anyhow) after the guy has the taste of blood in his mouth. I thought he did okay.

- AR - He had an amazing game especially considering he was sacked 8 times and still put up great numbers.

- Finley - His breakout game perhaps.

- COllege - He is a good Guard. We don't have to compete in the FA market with teams wanting to sign him as a Tackle.

- Barbre - Looking better each week, still has a ways to go, but this game gave me the feeling he may become good

This game was lost due to the breakdown in the OL. AR has a little more time he puts up another 2-3 TDs and the Pack wins the game. We just have to improve the OL and we can be a very good team. How we do that, I don't know. But at least, IMHO, there are not a bunch of problem areas, just one. The OL I think it is a coaching problem. I think they need to practice with more attention to detail and to not accept anything that isn't perfect. Don't practice till you get it right, practice till you can't get it wrong. The defense will continue to improve every week, I have no doubt.

Badgerinmaine
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I thought the Packers didn't panic when they got down by 14 in the second half when they could have folded their tent or took stupid gambles--and that in as hostile an environment in many ways as they come. I saw some good heart last night. Things will be okay as long as they remember Dan Reeves' adage once they come back to play: "Never take a last place team lightly".

mmmdk
10-06-2009, 11:50 AM

Packers vs Lions WIN

Packers at Browns Loss

Glass half full ! :D

mmmdk
10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
- Clay Matthews. First game I have seen him play and he looks like a player. Ripping the ball from AP and getting points was a thing of beauty.

- TJ Lang. Believe it or not. His first action against the league leader in sacks (now anyhow) after the guy has the taste of blood in his mouth. I thought he did okay.

- AR - He had an amazing game especially considering he was sacked 8 times and still put up great numbers.

- Finley - His breakout game perhaps.

- COllege - He is a good Guard. We don't have to compete in the FA market with teams wanting to sign him as a Tackle.

- Barbre - Looking better each week, still has a ways to go, but this game gave me the feeling he may become good

This game was lost due to the breakdown in the OL. AR has a little more time he puts up another 2-3 TDs and the Pack wins the game. We just have to improve the OL and we can be a very good team. How we do that, I don't know. But at least, IMHO, there are not a bunch of problem areas, just one. The OL I think it is a coaching problem. I think they need to practice with more attention to detail and to not accept anything that isn't perfect. Don't practice till you get it right, practice till you can't get it wrong. The defense will continue to improve every week, I have no doubt.

Fine post!

I loved the play of Clay, Finley & AR - very fine building blocks.

I tip my hat to Hawk & Chuck as well.

OL ? I don't feel that good - sorry.

WRs - GJ stopped playing on a lot of plays. :smack:

Fritz
10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
My Packer friend is much more doom and gloom than I am, and though I did not like MM's play calling, I'm not down about this team yet.

First of all, they played about as badly as they can play - penalties up the ying-yang, turnovers - and the game planning was mediocre - stopped the run but no pass rush, didn't utilize Grant on offense. Yet they were in the game until it got to be 28-14 and then it went to hell until the final frantic effort.

I hope the light bulb is going off in the coaches' heads regarding TJ Lang - he outplayed Colledge at LT las night and I hope he is trained as the backup now. Shuffling the line hurt that team last night - not just Colledge getting moved, but Spitz having to play the left side (he played right last year).

I believe the offensive line was run blocking pretty well but the coaches put the offensive line in a bad position by calling so many passes. They did open some creases for Grant. Barbre is getting better and the game experience is helping Sitton, too.

Bigby will be better than Martin, even if Nutz doesn't think so. I'm not saying Bigby is an all pro, but he'll be an improvement, however slight.

Rodgers is showing that he's going to be exceptional.

The defense stopped Adrian Peterson. Let me say it again: the defense stopped Adrian Peterson. Of course, they also gave Favre about ten minutes to throw the ball, but I believe much of that fault lies with Capers - how many 3rd and 7's or 8's did you see where Capers would rush 3? It worked once that I saw, when Favre threw a screen into the ground. Other than that, give Favre time and he'll make the play.

So I do think this defense can work. I do think the offensive line can block. I think Brady Poppinga will soon be claiming his rightful spot as special teams demon and warming-Clay-Mathews'-spot-on-the-bench guy soon. I think Finley will get better.

I am glad it's bye week. Two weeks for MM to get this mess straightened out. Two weeks to figure out how to call running plays. Two weeks to learn the defense better, two weeks to give Capers a chance to learn how to use his players better. Two weeks for Clifton to heal, for Colledge to heal.

I think this can be a good team - 10-6.

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 12:09 PM
1. A-rod battles, keeps eyes down field and makes big plays.

2. Right side of offensive line.

3. Finley

4. Chillar is clearly the best lb for the scheme.

5. Woodson

6. Punter

7. Crosby makes nice on side kick bounces.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
My Packer friend is much more doom and gloom than I am, and though I did not like MM's play calling, I'm not down about this team yet.

First of all, they played about as badly as they can play - penalties up the ying-yang, turnovers - and the game planning was mediocre - stopped the run but no pass rush, didn't utilize Grant on offense. Yet they were in the game until it got to be 28-14 and then it went to hell until the final frantic effort.

I hope the light bulb is going off in the coaches' heads regarding TJ Lang - he outplayed Colledge at LT las night and I hope he is trained as the backup now. Shuffling the line hurt that team last night - not just Colledge getting moved, but Spitz having to play the left side (he played right last year).

I believe the offensive line was run blocking pretty well but the coaches put the offensive line in a bad position by calling so many passes. They did open some creases for Grant. Barbre is getting better and the game experience is helping Sitton, too.

Bigby will be better than Martin, even if Nutz doesn't think so. I'm not saying Bigby is an all pro, but he'll be an improvement, however slight.

The defense stopped Adrian Peterson. Let me say it again: the defense stopped Adrian Peterson. Of course, they also gave Favre about ten minutes to throw the ball, but I believe much of that fault lies with Capers - how many 3rd and 7's or 8's did you see where Capers would rush 3? It worked once that I saw, when Favre threw a screen into the ground. Other than that, give Favre time and he'll make the play.

So I do think this defense can work. I do think the offensive line can block. I think Brady Poppinga will soon be claiming his rightful spot as special teams demon and warming-Clay-Mathews'-spot-on-the-bench guy soon. I think Finley will get better.

I am glad it's bye week. Two weeks for MM to get this mess straightened out. Two weeks to figure out how to call running plays. Two weeks to learn the defense better, two weeks to give Capers a chance to learn how to use his players better. Two weeks for Clifton to heal, for Colledge to heal.

I cetainly agree with this, well until I was watching the pregame show with the guys down on the field. Steve Young and that bunch. And then who should you see in the background trying to get on TV like some jackass fan? Atari Bigby, he almost went as far as to wave his arms around and shout, "HI MOM!". Instead he giggled and pulled some equipment guy into the camera shot with him.

How can such a dumbass be a an upgrade over what we currently have? Darren Sharper, there is an upgrade.

3irty1
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Both losses have been fairly close not so close that we didn't have to onside kick but still close. The Packers are good enough to give anyone a game. I was happy with McCarthy's game plan and his play calling. The players just couldn't execute enough specifically the OL. There is a lot of hope for turning this unit around. We've seen them play much better than this.

#12 is a true professional. I feel like we have a chance to win any game that he starts. He wasn't perfect last night but he showed a ton of toughness, a lot of patience with the receivers and OL and kept us right in the game the whole time. He has a very bright future.

Grant had a good game. Once again he'll be at his best when we need him most--in the cold.

Finley and Mathews look to have good things ahead of them too.

There was very little pass rush especially in the 2nd half but the Run defense and secondary played well despite everything. On much of our struggles on defense the credit goes to Favre for some great throws and also their OL. Favre gives the Vikings a real NFL offense.

Martin sucks less than I thought he would.

Hopefully McCarthy can get this OL fixed because the Packers are close to being an great team.

mraynrand
10-06-2009, 12:31 PM
The Packers still have at least one more attempt to kick the shit out of Favre. Hopefully the Lambeau grass/composite surface will be more to their liking and Capers will put in a couple of wrinkles to pound the crap out of that 40 year old fossil. Hopefully a few teams in the interim will beat the crap out of him as well - specifically Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Hopefully he will limp into the game and get hauled out on a stretcher. I'd also like to see a little better chipping on Allen. Packer running backs (fullbacks) are solid enough to put that skinny little punk on his ass too. He's fast, but he's not that big. My optimistic sides thinks the Vikings are in for a beating over the next few weeks.

PackerTimer
10-06-2009, 12:32 PM
1. A-rod battles, keeps eyes down field and makes big plays.

2. Right side of offensive line.

3. Finley

4. Chillar is clearly the best lb for the scheme.

5. Woodson

6. Punter

7. Crosby makes nice on side kick bounces.

I agree with a lot of this, but Hawk and Matthews have been the best LB's in the scheme.

cheesner
10-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Rats! When I started writing the post, that was my #1 positive from the game. Then I forgot to write it down.

Thanks for the catch, and I am very surprised we are not talking more about that.

retailguy
10-06-2009, 01:50 PM

Actually, I thought they played better than I anticipated. Other than the OL which was abysmal, the overall team played pretty well. Special teams was OK, which is an improvement, other than the stupid penalties.

Grant made the most of what he had, and ran damn hard all night. He is what he is, but you cannot fault his effort last night.

Nah, Lang was the beneficiary of "prevent defense". When they scrapped that on the last two drives, he looked pretty pathetic. He is not the solution to the weakest link on the Packer team.

If Cliffy comes back, that's fine, but it is well established that we do not have a LT backup, and Cliffy can't stay healthy. This needs to be addressed, even if, Cliffy gets a clean bill of health (for a week or two).

Give Martin a chance. He has some experience in the 3-4, if he doesn't have it in the next two games, I'll bring the pitchforks.

Bigby is NOT the answer. He is what he is. A hard hitter that couldn't cover with a blanket.

The defenses shining moment was stopping AD. I don't blame capers, he ran the D the way you run this Defense. Fault lies with the front three who have proven incapable of generating pressure. When Capers rushed three, he put the LB's into coverage to stop the pass play he knew was coming.

In those instances, this scheme relies on the front three generating enough pressure to disrupt the play before the LB's lose the ability to cover. That isn't happening. It isn't the fault of the scheme or the coaching, it is the fault of the front three being unable to generate any kind of pressure.

This is the biggest problem with this defense and it will not function correctly until the front three figure out how to generate pressure in these situations.

mraynrand
10-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Nah, Lang was the beneficiary of "prevent defense". When they scrapped that on the last two drives, he looked pretty pathetic. He is not the solution to the weakest link on the Packer team.

Allen was playing 'prevent defense?' Could you elaborate on this?

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM

I think he meant they gave Lang a lot of extra help. I saw Grant chipping in a few times.

Merlin
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
This Viking loss, wasn't a close game. The offense had 7 points going deep into the 4th quarter. That isn't going to win you many ball games.

Rodgers has some things to work on, like hanging onto the ball too long - although it only attributed to 1-2 sacks last night, he has that habit. The play calling needs to change. When a team is getting to your QB, you slow that down with slants, draws, and screens. I didn't see any slants, the screen "would" have been effective every time if Grant ran like any other average NFL Back - by that I mean trying to avoid the tackle instead of running into it without leverage. Imagine the game if 4 of those sacks were quick slants for 5-10 yards or even more, that changes the defensive play calling. Some of the sacks let's face it, Allen was unstoppable with our current offensive line.

I would like to see everyone get healthy, McCarthy take a long hard look at his play calling, Capers to work in less Zone coverage and more man to man, especially on the outside, and make a phone call to Mark Tauscher and see if he is rehabilitated. Worse case scenario, he performs the same as who we already have, which I seriously doubt would be the case. Oh yeah, work on some goal line plays that actually occur in the end zone and not 1-2 yards before it.

retailguy
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM

I think he meant they gave Lang a lot of extra help. I saw Grant chipping in a few times.

Yes, they did give him some help. But, the real blessing is on those two drives they didn't blitz like they had previously. Therefore the help (back or TE), didn't need to pick up an extra guy and could double with Lang on Allen.

When that stopped and they went back to blitz packages, Lang looked as exposed if not worse than Colledge had.

denverYooper
10-06-2009, 02:29 PM
The D is giving up only 3.5 yards/att rushing this year, good for 7th in the league.

Last year they gave up 4.6 ypa, 26th in the league.

So that's promising.

Fritz
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM

I cetainly agree with this, well until I was watching the pregame show with the guys down on the field. Steve Young and that bunch. And then who should you see in the background trying to get on TV like some jackass fan? Atari Bigby, he almost went as far as to wave his arms around and shout, "HI MOM!". Instead he giggled and pulled some equipment guy into the camera shot with him.

How can such a dumbass be a an upgrade over what we currently have? Darren Sharper, there is an upgrade.

Well, geez Nutz, then don't watch the pregame show. It's simple. :)