PDA

View Full Version : I Need to Say This: Where are the damn slants

packerbacker1234
10-06-2009, 12:10 AM
I am sick and tired of watching every Game Rodgers is at the helm of go by and the #1 staple of this team with favre goes away: Slants. Does rodgers have issues with them or something? When Favre was around we called a slant route by someone on just about every passing down. With Rodgers, I notice it being ran maybe 2 or 3 times a game, at most.

WTH is going on. Deep passes are great: Slants are what convert those 3rd and longs, and even the 3rd and 6. That one time we ran the trick play: I am thinking "look how far off our WR's they are, run a damn 5 yard slant for a easy first".

Said it all game, and yet we never did it.

I am confused. MM, explain yourself. Does Rodgers just suck at throwing them? If thats the case, tell him tough luck and call it anyways. Let our WR's make plays.

Rodgers has little time: Slants are the cure. WIth roughly the same OL, favre was able to win 13 games because of them.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 12:57 AM
ever consider that teams are taking away the slant?

But, who the fuck cares. As if the slant is the key to our success.

packerbacker1234
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
ever consider that teams are taking away the slant?

But, who the fuck cares. As if the slant is the key to our success.

Tell that to the brett favre 13-3, NFC Championship appearing 2007 team, who slant patterned every team to death. What did we do when they took it away? Went deep. Instead were going deep, and not throwing slants. I watched the tape: Vikings left that slant play open all day and we never threw it. We never even RAN it.

rbaloha1
10-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Good point maybe teams are taking away slants. Slants are a staple of the wco.

MM stated previously AR is not currently adept at throwing to spots -- crucial in the slant.

My bigger issue is the number of drops -- 10 according to Stats, Inc.

packerbacker1234
10-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Good point maybe teams are taking away slants. Slants are a staple of the wco.

MM stated previously AR is not currently adept at throwing to spots -- crucial in the slant.

My bigger issue is the number of drops -- 10 according to Stats, Inc.

Then that would mean AR is the problem for play calling, and it is AR that is hurting the passing game. Hard for me to say, or believe, that this is the issue, since AR seemed to throw the slant just fine last year. It's a quick pass. Your throwing toa spot, sure, but the spot is barely in front of where the WR is currently.

If he can't do that, then he is not a NFL QB. Even Kyle Orton can throw the slant pass, he did it today to get crucial first downs.

Throw the slant already. I am sick of the excuses. It's oen of the hardest plays to take away, since there are two windows for it, and you can have 2 to 3 people running it in a play. Plus, if they are jumping slants you fake slant go deep. There have been many pass plays where a slant would of been perfect and we didn't even run it.

Sorry, but it's either AR's fault because he can't make a pretty fucking easy throw, or it's MM's fault for being a shitty play caller. I am going to go with the latter.

th87
10-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Yeah, you're right. A guy with decades of NFL experience couldn't figure out what you just did in two seconds. And to think it's as simple as something he'd already done well with in the past.

The reality is that the Packers are very easy to defend right now. The linebackers are taking away the slants, and Rodgers doesn't want to force the ball into traffic if he doesn't need to. The counter move to the slant is going deep, but the Packers can't really do that, because the line can't give the adequate protection to do so.

The slants are gone because teams know we can't go deep on a 3 step drop. This enables them to clog up the middle.

pbmax
10-12-2009, 07:19 AM
If you are paraphrasing what I think you are paraphrasing, then that is not what he said.