PDA

View Full Version : Looking for positives

CaliforniaCheez
10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Is there any unit of the Packers that is performing well?

RB's - Wynn and Grant No. Lack of yards and Grant's fumbling against the Bengals and Vikings killed drives in the opposition territory.

QB - "Rookie" Rodgers holding the ball far too long and getting sacked excessively. Throwing the ball away and having 2nd and 10 is better than 2nd and 17.

Receivers - Too many drops. 4th down in the endzone is inexcusable. Driver added another one.

O-line - Thanks for the penalties. How about that zone blocking BS?

D - Line Sack total is very small and none of the starters will last beyond mid season. They are getting banged up rapidly.

Linebackers - Blitz ineffective, can't cover very well, stand around lost inzone coverage in zones with no opposing players. poor tackling and poor against the run.

Secondary - Dropping into soft zone defense is suicidal against QB's like Palmer and Favre.

Return game - Jordy letting the ball die inside the 10 and a muff. Returns wiped out by penaties.

Kicking game - As reliable as the French military. Does Crosby need lasik to see the uprights?

McCarthy seems to want to get fired and this coaching staff is not showing any improvement or sticking with plays that work. Why the blowtorch under Capers chair has not been lit I cannot understand.

Every coach is fair game to be fired. They have earned it.

I would say the only positives so far this season have been the play of Woodson and Finley.

Can someone remind me of anything else positive this season?

OkayKyle
10-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Kapinos has played great

Lurker64
10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
The run defense this week was pretty good.

Brohm
10-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Jolly is playing out of his mind.

steve823
10-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Lol..a bit negative there bud. You stated a lot of vaild points ,but there is also lots of positives.

Jermichael Finley emerging, Alen Barbe is progressing and looks like he might be a future starter, Grant looked decent this game and I saw more broken tackles this game then the whole year, Rodgers was great asides from a f ew plays where he didnt throw it away, run defense is good, and once Martin isn't a safety for us anymore our secondary should get stronger. Also how bout clay matthews..hopefully he can be a playmaker in future years.

RashanGary
10-06-2009, 12:33 AM
The Packers are going to come back this season. They will be fine. It was a tough game on the road, but they'll come together. Don't let this shit hole get you all down.

See ya's.

For the good guys here; woodbuck, Harvey, Ziggy, others. . . . . . . See ya's. It was fun rooting for the Packers along with you.

sharpe1027
10-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Understatement of the year candidate. Run defense was really good.

Honestly, Rodgers held the ball a few times too long, but played pretty damn well.

Lang was better than I expected, I saw a glimmer of hope in that kid.

Clifton should be back after the bye week.

There were holes for Grant for the first time in awhile,maybe BJack will make an appearance after the bye. Why did we keep Wynn? If all we wanted was a guy that can pick up the blitz, just use a damn FB, we have 3.

Jordy looks good on kick returns, just find someone else for punts.

Crosby hit two stellar onside kicks.

But yeah, lots of work to be done with this team.

Packgator
10-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Rushing yards:

Packers.....82
Vikings......63

Yards Per Rush:

Packers.....4.8
Vikings......2.1

Passing Yards:

Packers.....384
Vikings......271

Total Net yards:

Packers.....424
Vikings......334

Defensive Points:

Packers......6
Vikings.......2

Punts:

Packers......2
Vikings.......5

Sacked:

Packers.......8
Vikings........0

Penalties:

Packers.......7
Vikings........2

Willard
10-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Positives:
- Return of the screen play.
- Coming out party for JFin - legitimate weapon at TE,
- Solid play by 1st rounders - Matthews & Raji,
- Good run defense is possible!
- Rodgers is still standing (and will learn from this),
- Pack is not peaking too early :wink:

denverYooper
10-06-2009, 09:38 AM

Lang was better than I expected, I saw a glimmer of hope in that kid.

Jordy looks good on kick returns, just find someone else for punts.

Twanger was not too shabby for a greenhorn coming in a division game against a top DE. They kept the ball away from his side on the first series and Allen got around him for the safety, but other than that I thought he held up ok.

Jordy was having a nice little game up until he muffed the last punt. He made some nice returns and some nice grabs.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I thought the Packers did ok on both sides of the ball in certain aspects of the game. Still way too many mistakes which I hold McCarthy responsible for. Sloppy play has been a mainstay in Green Bay since McCarthy has been the head coach. The whole blame can't fall directly on him though, Thompson keeps giving him the youngest team in the NFL, young players make mistakes it is unavoidable.

Allen Barbre played pretty darn well tonight, I didn't hear his name and if he did give up a sack it wasn't because he got his butt kicked off the snap.

This offense is dangerous if the ball comes out quickly, but Rodgers can not hold on to it he isn't Ben Roth. Rodgers is struggling in the pocket which is partly his fault but his offensive line is terrible.

Run defense was unbelievable. The Packer sold out to stop the run but at least they did that right, especially considering that Peterson didn't break a tackle and then go 50 yards because everyone was up on the line. The Packers run defense was aggressive, good solid tackling.

Charles Woodson, Favre is no idiot no matter what the Wisconsin media and Packer fans care to say, Favre went after Woodson once and got a PI penalty on a pass C. Wood picked off in the endzone. He is so damn good especially for his age. I have a hard time finding a better corner in the NFL.

Mason Crosby has one hell of an onside kick.

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I would say the only positives so far this season have been the play of Woodson and Finley.

Overall Finley played well. But if he ever runs a minus 1 yard route on 3rd and goal from the 1 again, my head will explode.

Bonehead move.

Willard
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I thought the Packers did ok on both sides of the ball in certain aspects of the game. Still way too many mistakes which I hold McCarthy responsible for. Sloppy play has been a mainstay in Green Bay since McCarthy has been the head coach. The whole blame can't fall directly on him though, Thompson keeps giving him the youngest team in the NFL, young players make mistakes it is unavoidable.

Allen Barbre played pretty darn well tonight, I didn't hear his name and if he did give up a sack it wasn't because he got his butt kicked off the snap.

This offense is dangerous if the ball comes out quickly, but Rodgers can not hold on to it he isn't Ben Roth. Rodgers is struggling in the pocket which is partly his fault but his offensive line is terrible.

Run defense was unbelievable. The Packer sold out to stop the run but at least they did that right, especially considering that Peterson didn't break a tackle and then go 50 yards because everyone was up on the line. The Packers run defense was aggressive, good solid tackling.

Charles Woodson, Favre is no idiot no matter what the Wisconsin media and Packer fans care to say, Favre went after Woodson once and got a PI penalty on a pass C. Wood picked off in the endzone. He is so damn good especially for his age. I have a hard time finding a better corner in the NFL.

Agree with all of this (CWood is our best player), but not sold on Barbre yet. You are probably wise to set the bar at "didn't hear his name" though. What I would like to see is some toughness in the running game. I thought the Barbre/Sitton right side was supposed to lead to a physical counter to the Williams wall. Pack ran OK, but not enough to scare defenses in the coming weeks.

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Kicking game - As reliable as the French military. Does Crosby need lasik to see the uprights?

Where do you get this from last nights game? He made his FG and had the best onside kicks I've seen in a long time.

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Rodgers is struggling in the pocket which is partly his fault but his offensive line is terrible.

I see it the same way. The sieve like line is no excuse to take all of these sacks. He has to adjust and get the ball out quicker. I saw some progress on that front, as he did throw a couple away last night. But he's got to adjust to the crappy line play, and do a lot more throwing away of the ball.

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Both of those penalties on Chuck were horse shit.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Agree with all of this (CWood is our best player), but not sold on Barbre yet. You are probably wise to set the bar at "didn't hear his name" though. What I would like to see is some toughness in the running game. I thought the Barbre/Sitton right side was supposed to lead to a physical counter to the Williams wall. Pack ran OK, but not enough to scare defenses in the coming weeks.

It helps if Ryan Grant has more than 11 carries. The Packers were having some early success against a fired up Vikings defense, especially with the running game. McCarthy had to shut that down for what ever reason. McCarthy's qb got sacked 8 times for god's sake you would think to take that kind of heat off the pass blocking you would put the ball in the hands of your running game, wear down the front line of the Vikings even if your only gaining 2 or 3 yards a carry.

ThunderDan
10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I think the real positvie we can take out of the game is that there were two or three occasions where it looked like a blowout was just about to happen and the Packers scrapped back into the game.

If we don't turn the ball over twice deep in Minnesota territory and drop a TD pass who knows how the game turns out. It kind of reminded me of last years game were somehow we had a shot to win at the end with the 52 yard FG attempt.

Hopefully, we can get the O-line worked on during the bye week. I still hope we can trade Kampman to a 4-3 team and pick up a LT or a RT.

Deputy Nutz
10-06-2009, 10:17 AM

Both of those penalties on Chuck were horse shit.

Chuck had his right arm wrapped around the receiver's waist like he was slow dancing with him in the endzone. Also bishop lined up offsides on that play as well so it was coming back regardless.

Willard
10-06-2009, 10:27 AM

It helps if Ryan Grant has more than 11 carries. The Packers were having some early success against a fired up Vikings defense, especially with the running game. McCarthy had to shut that down for what ever reason. McCarthy's qb got sacked 8 times for god's sake you would think to take that kind of heat off the pass blocking you would put the ball in the hands of your running game, wear down the front line of the Vikings even if your only gaining 2 or 3 yards a carry.
Agreed. Pound Grant behind Barbre/Sitton (and Kuhn if need be). I do like the fact that Grant also got 4 catches for a total of 15 touches and 100+ yards. I totally agreed with that aspect of the gameplan. Still, establishing the run could have been a life saver (or Rodgers saver) last night.

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Here's a positive:

I'm positive we need help on the O-line.

Seriously - I can take the rest of the team as is. We just need to buy some time for Arod. He has no trust in those guys.