"My mind keeps going back to...you know..Anthony Smith..."

Discuss.

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 12:38 AM
WTMJ Postgame

Discuss.

Interesting to bring this up

Honestly, when Al Harris let his WR go right by him and felt like a safety was clearly suppose to have the deep cover....my thoughts were....it'd be nice to have a safety that mentally was assignment sure

That guy was Smith

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 12:39 AM
wait, was Woodson quoted as saying that ??? Can you clarify the context ?

Brohm
10-06-2009, 12:40 AM
CW isn't too thrilled...

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/63579202.html

Chevelle2
10-06-2009, 12:47 AM

"I watched us get beat tonight, and my mind kept going back to...you know, Anthony Smith"

was the audio from Woodson on WTMJ.

That + Woodson saying Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL will an oline, makes me thing Woody isn't too fond of TT right now.

Chevelle2
10-06-2009, 12:47 AM

"I watched us get beat tonight, and my mind kept going back to...you know, Anthony Smith"

That + Woodson saying Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL will an oline, makes me thing Woody isn't too fond of TT right now.

Chevelle2
10-06-2009, 12:50 AM

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2009, 01:01 AM
...it'd be nice to have a safety that mentally was assignment sure

That guy was Smith

Smith!? You gotta be kinding me, I thought he looked dumb in the preseason.

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 01:09 AM
...it'd be nice to have a safety that mentally was assignment sure

That guy was Smith

Smith!? You gotta be kinding me, I thought he looked dumb in the preseason.

Smith played this defense for several years; it was well reported that he was helping teach it and calling out assignments from the start of the preseason. He also made some plays. I hope you were joking because he knew our defense, assignment wise, better then anybody at the start of camp. We kept Bush, a few fullbacks, and brought in that dude with all that upside from Baltimore instead. Smith was no miracle worker...but how he diddn't earn a spot on the team based on his preseason play was beyond me.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2009, 01:12 AM
no, honestly I thought he played like a dumber version of Atari Bigby. Ya, he made some great interceptions, but I saw take lots of bad angles, often looked confused.

I could be completely wrong, it's not like i was studying game film. I was glad he got cut.

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 01:15 AM
no, honestly I thought he played like a dumber version of Atari Bigby. Ya, he made some great interceptions, but I saw take lots of bad angles, often looked confused.

I could be completely wrong, it's not like i was studying game film. I was glad he got cut.

He played basically the same D with Pittsburg the last three years so mentally he knew the defense. Talent wise.....probably just a guy...like Bigby but smarter. He jumped a few patterns due to his know how. Certainly it's better then a safety who forgets to cover the deep contain on a zone.

Partial
10-06-2009, 01:17 AM
The play calling was horrible tonight defensively. Why on earth they were sending 3 rushers on third down against a sharpshooter back there is just foolish. At least send some pressure and make him make a play.

I want to attack every single play like the Ravens and Jets do. Sometimes you get burned and they undoubtably have superior talent, but I also believe they develop a swagger and confidence and play with an edge that our team lacks. teams know they're going to get hit in the mouth when they play those attacking teams. When you play the pack, you might get hit with a balled up sock.

My biggest complaints all come back to how soft this team is.

There has to be rumblings as to why on earth Desmond Bishop is still not on the field more. By all accounts Barnett has been awful this year. He doesn't look like the player of old. Bishop, by my accounts, has been a playmaker in his limited opportunities. With him you give up some of the deep zone pass coverage, but what you get is an excellent blitzer and an all-around nasty type of guy.

I would also like to see more of Quinn Johnson at Fullback. We don't pass to the fullbacks anyway (though admittedly used the screen more this week) and I would really like to see us establish more of a power running game behind Sitton and Barbre.

Another thing that surprised me was how poor Spitz looked at guard. Perhaps it has to do with going against an elite tackle and having his teammates getting blown up, but he didn't look very assignment sure tonight and I saw Williams slip past him on more than a few times. This is a guy McGinn and Bedard were talking about as a pro-bowl type of player this year. He certainly has not played up to that level in my opinion.

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 01:19 AM
The play calling was horrible tonight defensively. Why on earth they were sending 3 rushers on third down against a sharpshooter back there is just foolish. At least send some pressure and make him make a play.

I want to attack every single play like the Ravens and Jets do. Sometimes you get burned and they undoubtably have superior talent, but I also believe they develop a swagger and confidence and play with an edge that our team lacks. They know they're going to hit you in the mouth. When you play the pack, you might get hit with a baller up sock.

On one hand I completely agree with you
On the other hand I watched a safety forget his assignment
Gotta have the secondary mentally and physically ready to send extras so the missed assignments have to stop

Partial
10-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Absolutely agree Bretsky and that comes back to the questions of weather it is smart to have only one active safety who made it through camp. I find it hard to believe that the Giodarno or Martin will be able to help more right now than Smith or even Rouse for the mere fact they know the system.

We cannot keep stock piling players for "next year" when we don't have anyone capable of playing today.

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Absolutely agree Bretsky and that comes back to the questions of weather it is smart to have only one active safety who made it through camp. I find it hard to believe that the Giodarno or Martin will be able to help more right now than Smith or even Rouse for the mere fact they know the system.

We cannot keep stock piling players for "next year" when we don't have anyone capable of playing today.

agree

on the bright side it's not a bad time to have two weeks off; the staff can study the film and figure things out

and then we play two crappy teams to go to 4-2

sunflower100
10-06-2009, 02:44 AM
WTMJ Postgame

Discuss.

Jason Wilde reported a week or so ago (on the radio) that Rodgers was upset they traded Moll. The excuse the Packers used for cutting Smith was that they traded for Martin. I could be reading way more into his comments then I should be. I wouldn't be shocked if some of the Packer Players blame the Moll trade for some of the offensive line problems and the safety problems. Meaning they thought Smith/Moll both should have been kept. I don't think that Moll would have been the answer at LT. He was the Jarrett Bush of the oline. The packers needed a better backup at LT but I don't think Moll was the answer.

sunflower100
10-06-2009, 03:06 AM

I want to attack every single play like the Ravens and Jets do. Sometimes you get burned and they undoubtably have superior talent, but I also believe they develop a swagger and confidence and play with an edge that our team lacks. teams know they're going to get hit in the mouth when they play those attacking teams. When you play the pack, you might get hit with a balled up sock.

My biggest complaints all come back to how soft this team is.

There has to be rumblings as to why on earth Desmond Bishop is still not on the field more. By all accounts Barnett has been awful this year. He doesn't look like the player of old. Bishop, by my accounts, has been a playmaker in his limited opportunities. With him you give up some of the deep zone pass coverage, but what you get is an excellent blitzer and an all-around nasty type of guy.

I would also like to see more of Quinn Johnson at Fullback. We don't pass to the fullbacks anyway (though admittedly used the screen more this week) and I would really like to see us establish more of a power running game behind Sitton and Barbre.

Another thing that surprised me was how poor Spitz looked at guard. Perhaps it has to do with going against an elite tackle and having his teammates getting blown up, but he didn't look very assignment sure tonight and I saw Williams slip past him on more than a few times. This is a guy McGinn and Bedard were talking about as a pro-bowl type of player this year. He certainly has not played up to that level in my opinion.

This is probably why Spitz is a center and not a guard.

MichiganPackerFan
10-06-2009, 08:18 AM

If we couldn't get pressure last year with a four-man front last year, how do we expect to get any pressure by only sending three, with no additional attack?