PDA

View Full Version : Would the Pack D be better w/Gregg Williams?

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
The Saints D is playing well in a 4-3 pressure d. Recall Williams was under strong consideration as the Packer Defensive Coordinator.

Would the Packers defense be better under Williams? Your thoughts Packers Nation.

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
No, this is on MM at this point. YOu can't tell me Dom WANTS to rush 3 guys on 3rd and 7-12.

mraynrand
10-06-2009, 12:34 PM
No, this is on MM at this point. YOu can't tell me Dom WANTS to rush 3 guys on 3rd and 7-12.

I thought Capers was in complete control of the defense.

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 12:47 PM
The point is maybe the transition would be better. Kampman is probably more effective in a Williams scheme vs. Capers scheme.

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
The Saints D is playing well in a 4-3 pressure d. Recall Williams was under strong consideration as the Packer Defensive Coordinator.

Would the Packers defense be better under Williams? Your thoughts Packers Nation.

Williams did not want to come to Green Bay as he has family in the south, so the question is irrelevant because he was never an option to begin with.

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Williams did not want to come to Green Bay as he has family in the south, so the question is irrelevant because he was never an option to begin with.

Are you saying he used the Packers to get his Saints position? If I recall correctly, the Packers were wishy washy with Williams due to his strong personality and potential inability to mesh with TT.

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Are you saying he used the Packers to get his Saints position? If I recall correctly, the Packers were wishy washy with Williams due to his strong personality and potential inability to mesh with TT.

I recall an interview that he said that being near his family was important for him. That earlier in his career he would have jumped at the chance to coach the Packer D, but after being in Buffalo previously, he wanted to stay closer to home. Or something like that.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Have to disagree. DC is in complete control.

Two things:

1. He may want to blitz, but doesn't feel we are assigmment sure, we haven't learned the defense yet.
2. He may have felt comfortable with our original starting package, but i doubt he wants to blitz knowing that martin is the guy back as the last line of defense.

MTPackerfan
10-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Didn't we also have a shot at hiring Mike Nolan who went to Denver with his 3-4 and they are the number 1 defense in teh league?

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 01:43 PM

Why Williams and not Mike Nolan?

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Didn't we also have a shot at hiring Mike Nolan who went to Denver with his 3-4 and they are the number 1 defense in teh league?

Copycat.

mraynrand
10-06-2009, 02:01 PM

Why not hire Mike Holmgren as offensive coordinator?

Cheesehead Craig
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Then we could also have Mike Martz, Mike Tomlin & Mike Singletary

denverYooper
10-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Yeah, Denver is playing well so far. It helps that Dumervil is an absolute terror @OLB and Dawkins has been a force at Strong Safety, 2 big things we seem to have issues with.

If we have an OLB who is getting even half the pressure of Doom, our 3-4 looks much better wrt pass rush. I'm hoping CM3 comes around to be that guy eventually.

And SS, well... ya know...

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Yes. Especially since MM were on the same staff and good friends.

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
My take

Williams used Green Bay and this was his insurance.
GB liked Nolan more than Capers

Both chose to go elsewhere and we then landed the deal with Capers

All three are quality coaches

pbmax
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
My take

Williams used Green Bay and this was his insurance.
GB liked Nolan more than Capers

Both chose to go elsewhere and we then landed the deal with Capers

All three are quality coaches
There is doubt about Nolan and a contract offer, but the reporting seemed to indicate that as soon as Denver became a possibility, Nolan headed west. But the Press Gazette and JS had the Packer's interest as genuine. And first choice.

MTPackerfan
10-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Copycat.

Sorry but I believe you, sir, are the copycat. My post was first. :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Why can't i just date supermodels?

MJZiggy
10-06-2009, 10:02 PM

You could, but you'd be alone a lot.

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Copycat.

Sorry but I believe you, sir, are the copycat. My post was first. :lol:

Only chronologically. Quit stealing my ideas before I think of them.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM

And, that would be different how?
:lol:

MJZiggy
10-06-2009, 10:23 PM

And, that would be different how?
:lol:

You'd have an excuse? :huh:

SnakeLH2006
10-07-2009, 03:19 AM
To Topic: Nope. Dom is the man. Look at the last times he joined new teams. Amazing stats. Same will be here by the end of 2009. Quote it.

Gunakor
10-07-2009, 04:00 AM
Dom brought pressure against Chicago, and forced Cutler into throwing 4 INT's amidst an altogether horrible day for him. He did not bring pressure against Favre, and Favre had a career day.

I hope he understands. This defense begins and ends with pressure.

SnakeLH2006
10-07-2009, 04:14 AM
Dom brought pressure against Chicago, and forced Cutler into throwing 4 INT's amidst an altogether horrible day for him. He did not bring pressure against Favre, and Favre had a career day.

I hope he understands. This defense begins and ends with pressure.

Snake's not worried. Let's worry about that putrid OLine.

Great gray beards of Zeus...Lord Favre is a god. Live and learn.

rbaloha1
10-10-2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/63905657.html

rbaloha1
10-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Bretsky
10-10-2009, 03:05 PM

VERY solid article here; it seemed pretty apparent to me that we wanted Williams as well.

But all 3 are great candidates that should find long term success

New Systems for all; takes players time to adjust obviously
but two of the three are succeeding right off the bat

So what's the big difference ? Were the Saints or Bronocs talent really much better then GB last year

So what's the difference ?

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh

don't say that word to TTT :lol:

rbaloha1
10-10-2009, 03:41 PM

VERY solid article here; it seemed pretty apparent to me that we wanted Williams as well.

So what's the big difference ? Were the Saints or Bronocs talent really much better then GB last year

The question if one of the other 2 coordinators would also the Packers unbeaten.

Bretsky
10-10-2009, 03:45 PM

The question if one of the other 2 coordinators would also the Packers unbeaten.

Na, I don't think so. MAYBE we'd have another win but I don't put much blame on Capers.

Break down our defensive weaknesses. We sure could use a few vets mixed into the loop who know what they are doing

I don't think it's a coordinator thing
I have not decided if it's a we just don't have enough talent OR too many young guys will make this a slower transition thing

pbmax
10-10-2009, 03:57 PM

age?

pbmax
10-10-2009, 03:59 PM
The point is maybe the transition would be better. Kampman is probably more effective in a Williams scheme vs. Capers scheme.
One portion of this debate isn't really up for debate. Williams was reported to have been offered a contract and went to the Saints. So this wasn't really a choice. If he wanted to be in Green Bay, he would be.

wist43
10-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Again... it's going to take time to transition. If the Packers can get to middle of the pack in defensive stats, that's progress.

TT has to make a committment moving forward to change over the personnel though.

While Capers is too conservative for my liking in general, his hands are tied in terms of talent. That LB'ing corp is simply not very good... and in a 3-4, you need talent at LB.

Fritz
10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't need to date super models. I'll take a regular one.

MJZiggy
10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Everybody wants the damned model.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Not Ty...but, you forced him into it. :wink:

Brandon494
10-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Yes they would be better, not because Greg Williams is any better of a coach than Dom Capers but the simple fact they we had to learn a new defense under Capers.

Gunakor
10-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Yes they would be better, not because Greg Williams is any better of a coach than Dom Capers but the simple fact they we had to learn a new defense under Capers.

I think if we stick with Capers for a few years, time enough for us to get the right players for his scheme, time enough for the players to master that scheme, Capers' defense is going to be better than Williams' defense. So if we're not talking about this year alone, specifically, I think we made the right choice for the Packers.

Bretsky
10-11-2009, 07:22 AM

age?

lol
I would recategorize that to capable veteran players

Fritz
10-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Maybe you are model-esque.

Model-icious.

MJZiggy
10-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Model-icious.

:oops: :hrt: :hug:

(always nice to be appreciated by a hottie...)

MJZiggy
10-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Wait just a minute here!!

Then

And then

Model-icious.

Are you saying you want to date me??? :bump:

Deputy Nutz
10-12-2009, 07:48 AM
I just threw up in my mouth.. There is a place for this you know.

pbmax
10-12-2009, 08:40 AM
The backseat of Frtiz's Chevy Malibu Station Wagon?

But I am confused, will Ty be there? In the front seat maybe?

Pugger
10-12-2009, 09:36 AM

I suspect the guys are still working out the kinks with this new defense and that is why they are inconsistant. I would think they'll be a hell of lot more assignment sure as the season progresses.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM

Ty is wondering about "hottie" fritz.

Ty hates fritz.

MJZiggy
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Ty hates fritz.

Oh lay off. You have Pugger.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Ty hates fritz.

You and Fritz....same as Brett and the Vikings.

Sure, i have pugger/arod...but, it still churns my stomach watching you and fritz.

What makes Fritz so dreamy?

MJZiggy
10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
If you, (TT) weren't always looking for my replacement...(call me old and I'll deck you).

What makes Fritz dreamy? He's funny, always respectful and his grammar is impeccable. 8-)

Enough already. We wouldn't want Nutz to become bulimic over this now. Mrs. Nutz likely wouldn't like that. If Fritz wants me, he knows what to do.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 12:37 PM
If you, (TT) weren't always looking for my replacement...(call me old and I'll deck you).

What makes Fritz dreamy? He's funny, always respectful and his grammar is impeccable. 8-)

Enough already. We wouldn't want Nutz to become bulimic over this now. Mrs. Nutz likely wouldn't like that. If Fritz wants me, he knows what to do.

No. ty still thinks you are several more serviceable years. Ty wouldn't move on till you were 40ish. :lol:

Stop flirting with fritz in front of me.

Fritz
10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Who new that good grammer could pay off with the ladies.

Not me, expecially back in junior high school.

pbmax
10-12-2009, 02:48 PM

I see what you did there.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 03:14 PM

MJ,

Look at Fritz taking a dive in the 5th.

Character counts, Fritz. :wink:

Pugger
10-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Ty hates fritz.

:oops:

Partial
10-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Why did you tag a picture of me as "pillow" on facebook? :lol: The GF is probably like wtf

Partial
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM

I think if we stick with Capers for a few years, time enough for us to get the right players for his scheme, time enough for the players to master that scheme, Capers' defense is going to be better than Williams' defense. So if we're not talking about this year alone, specifically, I think we made the right choice for the Packers.

I think that's making quite the assumption.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM

I'm concerned that ty would easily settle for a gender unspecified, multiple amputee burn victim.

(sorry ty, meant that in the best possible way :D)

MJZiggy
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM

I'm concerned that ty would easily settle for a gender unspecified, multiple amputee burn victim.

They need love too ya know.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Settle?

pbmax
10-13-2009, 04:03 PM

Settle?
Only if they can supply you, Ty. Don't sell yourself short. Hold out for the rock.

pbmax
10-13-2009, 04:04 PM

Why did you tag a picture of me as "pillow" on facebook? :lol: The GF is probably like wtf
Words cannot do justice to really wanting to know what this means, and being afraid at the same time. :lol:

Bossman641
10-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Words cannot do justice to really wanting to know what this means, and being afraid at the same time. :lol:

Does this mean Partial, SB, and Nutz hang out? I thought that was a one time deal at the posters game.

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 12:30 AM

I know you, Fritz. You stated you'd take Drew Barrymore.