PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy on the game

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Green Bay - Packers coach Mike McCarthy will speak shortly about the loss the Minnesota Vikings.

We'll bring you any news and notes when he starts.

Here we go:

* Will Blackmon suffered an ACL injury. He is out for the season.
* Desmond Bishop should be fine. Daryn Colledge, "they are anticipating he will be OK for Detroit."
* Derrick Martin had a throat bruise and he stayed overnight in the hospital.
* Almost everyone else should be back after the bye.
* Atari Bigby is still questionable. Bigby wants to be back. Dr. Pat McKenzie is being more cautious.
* As for Charles Woodson's comments: "He's as competitive a player as there is in the NFL. It was emotionally driven. I don't shy away from opinions that are different than mine. I don't think we have a problem there."
* Getting Chad Clifton back will definitely help (the protection issues). It's just not one guy. It's really the combination of some of the things in the protection units. And the quarterback has to know his time clock."
* Aaron Rodgers had a ton of positive production. But he had some plays he'll wish he had back. We didn't call plays where you hold onto the ball. "A number of the them (sacks) could have been avoided, clearly."
* He only has three reads in our offense and I tell him exactly who 1, 2 and 3 are. When you stay in tune with that, the time clock fits and it's not protection.
* You've got to trust the read and that didn't happen all the time.
* The Packers had Mark Tauscher in today for a workout.
* Obviously Mark has played a ton of football for us. Having his experience in the room would help.
* "They said he looked good," McCarthy said of the guys who worked out.
* McCarthy said Oct. 1 was kind of the date the Packers had in mind with Tauscher after his ACL surgery. From a medical standpoint, they felt it was the time he would be ready to play football.
* On penalties: "Get to me? It's something that's addressed. I don't like how we've had more penalties than them, and that's happened a lot."
* "I think we're right where our record is, 2-2."
* Didn't really answer a question about the lack of pressure on the quarterback. That was a bit strange.

-----------------------------

A young quarterback trying to make a big play too often maybe ?

Scott Campbell
10-06-2009, 04:58 PM

I thought Al Harris was going to choke him after the TD to Berrian.

swede
10-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Green Bay - Packers coach Mike McCarthy will speak shortly about the loss the Minnesota Vikings.

* Getting Chad Clifton back will definitely help (the protection issues). It's just not one guy. It's really the combination of some of the things in the protection units. And the quarterback has to know his time clock."
* Aaron Rodgers had a ton of positive production. But he had some plays he'll wish he had back. We didn't call plays where you hold onto the ball. "A number of the them (sacks) could have been avoided, clearly."

* He only has three reads in our offense and I tell him exactly who 1, 2 and 3 are. When you stay in tune with that, the time clock fits and it's not protection.

In other words: our receivers and the patterns they ran were < Viking coverage. He's asking Rodgers to concede the offensive series rather than try to make a play when the offensive game plan created by MM and Philbin ain't working.

EDIT: And after having read it again I call bullshit! Some of the sacks could have been thrown away. Not all of them> Why is he protecting the feelings of an inferior line over the only superior player in his whole freaking offense yesterday?

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Maybe he did ? They didn't leave the camera on them very long! :lol:

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM

I wouldn't put it past him.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM

In other words: our receivers and the patterns they ran were < Viking coverage. He's asking Rodgers to concede the offensive series rather than try to make a play when the offensive game plan created by MM and Philbin ain't working.

Yeah, it might be time to start giving some credit instead of blame. Look, some are gonna blame arod for the pick. That is wrong. He threw the ball where it needed to be. GJ has to beat his man, he can't allow the vikes db to win that battle. I've looked at it several times...he rounded the route off, he was a bit lazy, he looked surprised the ball was coming his way....but, all things say the same thing....our WR got beat.

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 05:28 PM

Yeah, it might be time to start giving some credit instead of blame. Look, some are gonna blame arod for the pick. That is wrong. He threw the ball where it needed to be. GJ has to beat his man, he can't allow the vikes db to win that battle. I've looked at it several times...he rounded the route off, he was a bit lazy, he looked surprised the ball was coming his way....but, all things say the same thing....our WR got beat.

I'm not guessing who was "right", but rodgers expected jennings to cut that route off about a yard earlier...he threw it before jennings broke off....but jennings broke off about a yard later than where the throw was. Mighta been him, mighta been ARod, but the dback read it and made a good play facing the QB.

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 05:30 PM

EDIT: And after having read it again I call bullshit! Some of the sacks could have been thrown away. Not all of them> Why is he protecting the feelings of an inferior line over the only superior player in his whole freaking offense yesterday?
Not conceding the series, but often conceding the DOWN might be better. He could have thrown away a couple of first and second down sacks and had a more manageable situation on the next down. 2nd and ten is better than 2nd and 17 cuz he took the sack. Then we can still run on 2nd down and have a third and 6 instead of passing again, getting 8 yards and having third and 9...plus the sack is more demoralizing.

sheepshead
10-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Maybe he did ? They didn't leave the camera on them very long! :lol:

If Al didnt do it, a couple of guys from Mondovi with cheeseheads on did.

MichiganPackerFan
10-06-2009, 05:34 PM

I saw brett pump faking all night. better communication, a pump fake and go downfield and you've got six...

MadScientist
10-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Some of it can be put on the receivers, but there was also an article before the game that discussed Rodgers not 'throwing the receiver open', or throwing to where the receiver can make a break and be open. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/63491387.html It's likely that there are places and times to throw the ball on some of his sacks, well before the sack, he just isn't seeing it yet.

The Leaper
10-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Rodgers certainly holds the ball too long...he's still a relatively inexperienced starter by NFL standards, and he looks awful jittery in the pocket after taking all those hits. Thompson has really set this team back by ignoring the OL for 2-3 years. I've yelled about picking up some FA OL help for 2 years running now.

pbmax
10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Some of it can be put on the receivers, but there was also an article before the game that discussed Rodgers not 'throwing the receiver open', or throwing to where the receiver can make a break and be open.
You are missing some context on that term. Its a phrase McCarthy used for Favre and his ability to drill a ball into a spot when the receiver is otherwise covered. This is the source of his brilliance and his madness.

Silverstein is using this term for a comparison and is trying to point out that Rodgers doesn't take these chances. Silverstein's view is that they are necessary to be a winner. He is ignoring several dozen other QBs who have won without taking this particular risk. His definition of winning is essentially Favre, which is fine, but a bit limited.

The term you are referencing above is throwing to a spot, not simply leading a receiver on a straight line somewhere, but throwing to a spot you know he will be breaking to during the throw. Whether Rodger is doing this well this year is debatable. I have not seen enough highlights of throws of this type.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 09:32 PM

I saw brett pump faking all night. better communication, a pump fake and go downfield and you've got six...

In order to pump fake you have to have time to pump fake. Let us know when arod has that time.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 09:34 PM

I'm not guessing who was "right", but rodgers expected jennings to cut that route off about a yard earlier...he threw it before jennings broke off....but jennings broke off about a yard later than where the throw was. Mighta been him, mighta been ARod, but the dback read it and made a good play facing the QB.

Jennings rounded the route off...go look at it...and he was pretty lazy.

Regardless of mistake or not....Jennings has to beat his man to the ball. That is part of being a #1 receiver and being paid like an all pro.

Winfield did make a good play, no doubt.

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Rodgers certainly holds the ball too long...he's still a relatively inexperienced starter by NFL standards, and he looks awful jittery in the pocket after taking all those hits. Thompson has really set this team back by ignoring the OL for 2-3 years. I've yelled about picking up some FA OL help for 2 years running now.

Agree. AR can not read progressions as quickly as BF. Its not completely on the line--AR needs to throw the ball away more.

Maybe AR is too concerned with stats.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Agree. AR can not read progressions as quickly as BF. Its not completely on the line--AR needs to throw the ball away more.

Yes. Arod is concerned with stats. He knows that stats will get him a big fat contract. :roll:

Arod is a young qb who is playing about as well as any young qb could with a crap line. Stop comparing him to Bert..bert aint' here.

How about comparing him to Flacco, Matt Ryan, jamarcus russell, etc. Nobody here can honestly say that those guys definitively would be better with this crap line, average rb, and receivers dropping tds.

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Yes. Arod is concerned with stats. He knows that stats will get him a big fat contract. :roll:

Arod is a young qb who is playing about as well as any young qb could with a crap line. Stop comparing him to Bert..bert aint' here.

How about comparing him to Flacco, Matt Ryan, jamarcus russell, etc. Nobody here can honestly say that those guys definitively would be better with this crap line, average rb, and receivers dropping tds.

Valid point. In winning super bowls with the wco, who were the qbs -- Montana, Young, Favre. Is Rodgers in this category or just a stat monster like Peyton was early in his career?

MJZiggy
10-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Could be the 16 years of practice for BF... :idea:

Spaulding
10-06-2009, 09:53 PM

I doubt he's concerned with his stats. Players like that don't throw the ball into the end zone at the end of the half, they chuck it out of the end zone or dump it short so they don't get the cheap INT.

He never threw INT's at Cal, not a surprise he doesn't throw many in the NFL so far.

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Could be the 16 years of practice for BF... :idea:

BF's great intangibles and bad habits were apparent in 92.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Valid point. In winning super bowls with the wco, who were the qbs -- Montana, Young, Favre. Is Rodgers in this category or just a stat monster like Peyton was early in his career?

1. We arent' running the west coast offense of those qbs...though i get the point.
2. How many starts did bert, young and montana have b4 they won a SB.
2a. How many pro bowlers were on the 9ers and pack.
2b. Do you think MM is in the category of Holmgren, Walsh, and Seifert.
2c. Do you think that MM's staff will have the tree that Walsh and Holmgren had.
3. If Arod follows the career trajectory of Manning...are you complaining?
4. Was Bert a stat monster till he won a SB? Since you seem to use this term pejoratively, are all QBs who are successful, but fail to win a SB stat monsters? Are Drew Brees, Rivers, Ryan, McNabb, Cutler, Hasselbeck, etc. stat monsters.
5. Was john elway a stat monster till he won a SB?

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 10:22 PM

1. We arent' running the west coast offense of those qbs...though i get the point.
2c. Do you think that MM's staff will have the tree that Walsh and Holmgren had.
4. Was Bert a stat monster till he won a SB? Since you seem to use this term pejoratively, are all QBs who are successful, but fail to win a SB stat monsters? Are Drew Brees, Rivers, Ryan, McNabb, Cutler, Hasselbeck, etc. stat monsters.

Yes or No -- Does A-Rod win a super bowl as a Packer? Please quit tap dancing.

MJZiggy
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I say yes.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 10:27 PM

How should Ty know. Are you actually pretending that you know which QBs can win SBs?

If your question is CAN arod win a SB...then ty would say yes.

Tap dancing: posed many questions..and you didn't answer. Would seem you are the one dancing. Your question, btw the way was answered....If arod follows in the career trajectory of Manning are you complaining. That answered the question.

Or, are you again pretending that you know that Arod is a stat monster like Manning, but then won't be able to win it like manning did?

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 10:30 PM

How should Ty know. Are you actually pretending that you know which QBs can win SBs?

If you question is CAN arod win a SB...then ty would say yes.

Is Green Bay Titletown?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 10:31 PM

Is Green Bay Titletown?

Yes.

Seems like you are still dancing.

Are you suggesting you know who can win superbowls?

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 10:35 PM

Is Green Bay Titletown?

Yes.

Seems like you are still dancing.

Are you suggesting you know who can win superbowls?

Shall we dance?

mraynrand
10-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Did anyone ask McCarthy if he thought his defensive line looked like a bunch of fools giving Favre 7 seconds to throw the ball? Was that the scheme to apply no pressure, or did the linemen just give up?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Ty is still waiting for you answer.

Are you saying you know that Arod won't win a SB? You are able to tell which QBs are going to win?

Is it you know which won't or that you can determine which can't?

Partial
10-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Rodgers is almost too protective of the football for my tastes. A good INT really keeps thing interesting. :P

That said, I think his ceiling is already capped as a very solid starter at best if he doesn't take more chances. He'll always have nice stats but struggle against elite D's imo.

I think the best QB in the division could eventually be Stafford. He looked so much like Favre with his willingness to sling it around on Sunday.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Rodgers is almost too protective of the football for my tastes. A good INT really keeps thing interesting. :P

That said, I think his ceiling is already capped as a very solid starter at best if he doesn't take more chances. He'll always have nice stats but struggle against elite D's imo.

I think the best QB in the division could eventually be Stafford. He looked so much like Favre with his willingness to sling it around on Sunday.

1. Ints....funny, that was a joke thread ty had last year.
2. Capped. Well, you disagree with most experts. No surprise there.
3. Elite D. Most Qbs do. Bert certainly had his problems with elite Ds. Infact....he had 100 losses.
4. Stafford. Maybe. We'll see. Hard to judge Arod regarding what he will do when he is running for his life. Detroit's line is better than ours.

3irty1
10-06-2009, 11:04 PM
"Holds on to the ball to long" is something you say about rookie tards who shit down their leg and get happy feet. Rodgers holds on to the ball because he's fearless and because he's trying to make plays a la Ben Roethlisberger. Rodgers can be a little slippery in the Pocket but Big Ben is straight up coated in lube.

I'd like him to be a little more aware but I still like how his focus is down field and I admire his courage. He's already a great player, now hes just got some wrinkles to iron out of his game.

Partial
10-06-2009, 11:07 PM
"Holds on to the ball to long" is something you say about rookie tards who shit down their leg and get happy feet. Rodgers holds on to the ball because he's fearless and because he's trying to make plays a la Ben Roethlisberger. Rodgers can be a little slippery in the Pocket but Big Ben is straight up coated in lube.

I'd like him to be a little more aware but I still like how his focus is down field and I admire his courage. He's already a great player, now hes just got some wrinkles to iron out of his game.

Rodgers ain't Big Ben, thats for sure.. At best he is slightly bigger than small Aaron. Taking unnecessary sacks is stupid, any way you slice it. BB has the strength and size to stay on his feet. Rodgers does not. This isn't even considering the injury factor, either.

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 11:14 PM

Lets see, it wasn't until year 5 of Favre as a starter that he won a superbowl. Since Rodgers is in year 2 as a starter, we get a few more years to answer that.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 11:14 PM

Rodgers ain't Big Ben, thats for sure.. At best he is slightly bigger than small Aaron. Taking unnecessary sacks is stupid, any way you slice it. BB has the strength and size to stay on his feet. Rodgers does not. This isn't even considering the injury factor, either.

Still hoping he gets injured so you can say told you so. Didn't happen last year...must have bummed you.

But, you are right..arod ain't BB.....he is a far better passer.

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Are you bi-polar ? Not inferring any condition, just curious how someone can defend and argue the exact opposite view points on the same player in the same day ? Either that or it is intended to draw responses. If so, its working quite well.

Either way, thanks for the entertainment.

Partial
10-06-2009, 11:16 PM

Still hoping he gets injured so you can say told you so. Didn't happen last year...must have bummed you.

I completely disagree with you. I could not disagree with you more, as a matter of fact. Big Ben is a much better QB and playmaker. Maybe he isn't as good of a pure passer, but give me a winner over a loser who throws a pretty ball every day of the week. Not saying ARod is a loser overall, but he cannot hold Big Ben's jock.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 11:19 PM

I completely disagree with you. I could not disagree with you more, as a matter of fact. Big Ben is a much better QB and playmaker. Maybe he isn't as good of a pure passer, but give me a winner over a loser who throws a pretty ball every day of the week. Not saying ARod is a loser overall, but he cannot hold Big Ben's jock.

You are disgreeing with yourself....as i never said one thing about comparing them as qbs...cept as passers.

How much of winner would arod be on the steelers? LOL

Keep the dream alive, arod mite get hurt.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 11:19 PM

Are you bi-polar ?

We can only wish this was a medical condition.

Sparkey
10-06-2009, 11:30 PM

Are you bi-polar ?

We can only wish this was a medical condition.

Actually a serious question for me. I could go back through a week of posts, find posts about Arod by an un-named poster and they are back and forth arguing completely opposed views on the same player about the same issues. At least they are semi-amusing most times.

Maybe its the moniker:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/partial

Main Entry: par·tial
Pronunciation: \ˈpär-shəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English parcial, from Late Latin partialis, from Latin part-, pars part
Date: 14th century

1 : of or relating to a part rather than the whole : not general or total <a partial solution>
2 : inclined to favor one party more than the other : biased
3 : markedly fond of someone or something —used with to <partial to pizza>

Guiness
10-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Does 'Rodgers' win an SB?

Geez, that has to be the stupidest and most overused measure of a QB's skill. Hostetler won one. So did Dilfer. O'Donnel was a hair's breath away. Marino never really got a sniff after his sophmore season. That doesn't change my opinion of any of them.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Does 'Rodgers' win an SB?

Geez, that has to be the stupidest and most overused measure of a QB's skill. Hostetler won one. So did Dilfer. O'Donnel was a hair's breath away. Marino never really got a sniff after his sophmore season. That doesn't change my opinion of any of them.

Dang, Guiness, Ty was deliberately waiting....or didn't you figure out the difference tween...ty saying "does he win"..ty doesn't know....can he win...yes.

Anyone who says arod can't win one hasn't been watching the NFL...Rypien, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson...and of course your examples.

Marino....stat monster. :lol:

bobblehead
10-07-2009, 01:33 AM

QFT....this says it all. If ARod would give up on a few more downs when the line is sucking ass instead of rolling out of the pocket and making big plays....well, then he would take less sacks too. Its a mixed blessing.

I said last year I have never seen an immobile QB avoid sacks like big ben does...not wonder that host in reno never had a chance.

SnakeLH2006
10-07-2009, 02:59 AM

They both have cock-bruises to the throat. Check Skin on the day to day cock bruises though. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
10-07-2009, 08:21 AM

In order to pump fake you have to have time to pump fake. Let us know when arod has that time.

I'm even thinking that a solid fake or two while he's running for dear life may open something up. Then again it may have happened many times while I'm covering my eyes "oh dear god they're gonna kill him"

MichiganPackerFan
10-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Important to remember that Trent Dilfer won a SB while throwing for 1,502 yards, 12 TD's 11 Int's and a 76.6 rating. It's a TEAM game!!

mraynrand
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I have to admit that my favorite out-of-this-world-absurd comment this week was the one where someone said Arod was holding the ball too long and taking sacks to 'pad his stats.' (or words to that affect). You have to go down a long twisty road to get to that destination.

denverYooper
10-07-2009, 10:12 AM

QFT....this says it all. If ARod would give up on a few more downs when the line is sucking ass instead of rolling out of the pocket and making big plays....well, then he would take less sacks too. Its a mixed blessing.

I said last year I have never seen an immobile QB avoid sacks like big ben does...not wonder that host in reno never had a chance.

I love the duck and scoot move that he does. It works ridiculously well. I think he learned it after taking a lot of hits, though.