PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith and Tyrell Sutton

buchunter03
10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
http://host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/article_c88c6608-b23b-11de-8f06-001cc4c002e0.html

Charles Woodson mentioned after the game that it would have helped to have Anthony Smith on the field. I couldn't help but think of both Smith and Sutton in last night's game.

Wynn is not a good running back and he can't catch out of the backfield which is now his role as a 3rd down back. Last night Wynn dropped a swing pass which I have no doubt Sutton would have caught and ran for a good chunk of yards. I know Sutton isn't the answer to all problems but it made no sense to cut him. He could help this team a lot more than Wynn.

Same goes for Smith. There was absolutely no reason to cut him and trade for Martin. Martin showed last night he doesn't know the system and was out of position a few times. Smith knows the system and showed flashes in the preseason that he could be dependable if nothing else.

I like Ted Thompson but every year he likes to make a few surprise cuts (Jon Ryan last year among others) and he blew it big time this year by not keeping Smith and Sutton who could really help out this team right now.

CaptainKickass
10-06-2009, 05:29 PM
It sure seems that way.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

If Smith or Sutton woulda been screwing up the exact opposite sentiment could be possible.

I'm pickin' up what you're laying down tho.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 05:31 PM
smith maybe, sutton....get a grip. He sucked. If he was any good he would be playing. He isn't.

Looking at one specific drop and ignoring the fact that Wynn can actually run with the ball is kinda foolish.

Wynn also had a reception for 11 yards....but, i'm not going to start basing an eval of his pass catching on that either.

Sutton is just another long list of sucky ex packers: Ruvell, Taco, samkon, etc. Believe it or not, not every player that is in a packer uni is good.

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Is sutton on a roster?? I didn't view him as a decent NFL back...merely a guy who got yards against scrubs. DWynn has immense talent when he chooses to use it. He has been good at doing what he can regarding blitz pickup and such too, that is very important.

I am pretty sure wynn will be in the league much longer than sutton either way.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Is sutton on a roster?? I didn't view him as a decent NFL back...merely a guy who got yards against scrubs. DWynn has immense talent when he chooses to use it. He has been good at doing what he can regarding blitz pickup and such too, that is very important.

Sutton is on the panthers PS.

buchunter03
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I believe Sutton is with the Panthers now... It might just be me but I've never liked Wynn and he just doesn't have any instincts as a running back. Just watching the cuts Sutton made and his vision in the preseason I thought he could be a solid backup. Heck, I would have even taken Lumpkin over Wynn.

Bretsky
10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
TTT needs a Packerrat consultant :lol:

Cutting Smith ? We'd have stopped that crap.

Seriously, we benched the guy we gave Moll away for.............

Bush
Seriously, Bush :cry: :( :( :(

pbmax
10-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Did Smith get benched or hurt?

Sutton had trouble pass blocking. The number one priority for a 3rd down back since Holmgren (probably since Starr) has been the 3rd down back must be able to pick up the blitz.

rbaloha1
10-06-2009, 07:07 PM
AS knew the system but gambled too much. Sutton is probably a better runner than Wynn but unsure about pass protection. Wynn can be over powered though.

mission
10-06-2009, 07:20 PM
TTT needs a Packerrat consultant :lol:

Cutting Smith ? We'd have stopped that crap.

Seriously, we benched the guy we gave Moll away for.............

Bush
Seriously, Bush :cry: :( :( :(

Was just gonna say! TT just needs to follow the general trend opinion here.. ignore everything extreme and he's set! :D

mmmdk
10-06-2009, 07:26 PM
None of these guys play in the trenches.

bobblehead
10-06-2009, 07:48 PM
AS knew the system but gambled too much. Sutton is probably a better runner than Wynn but unsure about pass protection. Wynn can be over powered though.

but the 4'11'' sutton is a rock and can't be overpowered??

Look, not sure what people were watching, but I happen to think...strictly anecdotal on games I watch and rewatch that wynn has the best vision of our sorry RB group. sutton had monster holes against scrubs and looked good. Grant seems to have lost all vision and cut back ability. I'm dying for BJack to get healthy.

red
10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
at least sutton showed some potential as a runner

in 2 or 3 seasons i haven't seen anything out of wynn. i hear he has potential, but i sure haven't seen it

maybe sutton wasn't the answer, but i don't see how wynn was worth keeping

mmmdk
10-06-2009, 07:55 PM

but the 4'11'' sutton is a rock and can't be overpowered??

Look, not sure what people were watching, but I happen to think...strictly anecdotal on games I watch and rewatch that wynn has the best vision of our sorry RB group. sutton had monster holes against scrubs and looked good. Grant seems to have lost all vision and cut back ability. I'm dying for BJack to get healthy.

I like BJ. BJ is our only hope at RB; he can be a change of pace but he ain't Sproles - will have to do.

I'll give Grant this; I thought he showed passion last night. Good to see but he ain't that '07 back no more...if ever. I like Grant - just telling what I see.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 07:56 PM
I believe Sutton is with the Panthers now... It might just be me but I've never liked Wynn and he just doesn't have any instincts as a running back. Just watching the cuts Sutton made and his vision in the preseason I thought he could be a solid backup. Heck, I would have even taken Lumpkin over Wynn.

I would have to question your eval. Instincts and running ability is what is keeping Wynn on the team. It sure aint' his conditioning or ability to stay injury free.

Sutton did it against crap. Have you watched our team this year? Doesn't our performance make you question what you saw in the preseason? If it doesn't, then god help you.

Lumpkin...jesus, you just like crappy backs.

So, you think you can evaluate rbs better than our staff...or the NFL. As both Lumpkin and Sutton aren't on anybodies game day rosters. Lumpkin is on our PS.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
at least sutton showed some potential as a runner

in 2 or 3 seasons i haven't seen anything out of wynn. i hear he has potential, but i sure haven't seen it

maybe sutton wasn't the answer, but i don't see how wynn was worth keeping

Well, in the limited time he has been in he has produced...4.1 and 13 ypc in the previous 2 seasons.

Would appear that your vision is poor.

swede
10-06-2009, 10:51 PM

If by much longer you mean a month and a half.

What the hell has Wynn done? ever?

This is getting depressing...arguing over who sucks more on our team... :(

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2009, 11:22 PM

If by much longer you mean a month and a half.

What the hell has Wynn done? ever?

This is getting depressing...arguing over who sucks more on our team... :(

This is Wynn's 3rd year. A modicum of respect for that please.

SnakeLH2006
10-07-2009, 03:00 AM
None of these guys play in the trenches.

Best comment I saw all week. QFT

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2009, 06:41 PM
I missed Smith and Sutton on the ESPN highlights.

Brandon494
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Smith has yet to play a down for the winless Rams yet everyone thinks he is a pro bowler after a few good preseason games, same with Sutton.

Zool
10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Smith has yet to play a down for the winless Rams yet everyone thinks he is a pro bowler after a few good preseason games, same with Sutton.

Yup. Wasn't even on the active roster when the Pack played the Rams. It's not like they're stocked with talent so they're keeping him under wraps in case of injury. He was young and cheap and the Steelers let him walk.

Fritz
10-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Ya gotta love a thread that debates the value of guys who would be about the 52nd and 53rd guys on the team.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-07-2009, 10:27 PM
lord favre