PDA

View Full Version : UFL football league???

Guiness
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Geez, I must've had my head buried in the sand. I was surprised to see this league. I have a vague memory of hearing about it, but certainly didn't know they were starting play this fall.

UFL story: low expectations, high hopes

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/ufl/news/story?id=4535959

bobblehead
10-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Isn't there something like 6 teams (one in Vegas....I better run out and get my season tickets.)

Guiness
10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
4 teams, 6 game season. They're calling it a 'soft launch'.

Badgerinmaine
10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Yup--teams in Las Vegas, New York, Orlando and California (Bay Area).
http://www.ufl-football.com/home
The uniforms are oddly similar and mostly are combinations of highlighter pen green, blue, grey and black.

MJZiggy
10-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Soft launch, hard landing in this economy. Unless the ticket prices are like $10 apiece.

Guiness
10-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Soft launch, hard landing in this economy. Unless the ticket prices are like $10 apiece.

Pretty close to it, actually

CENTER SIDELINE $42.00
UPPER CENTER/OUTER CENTER SIDELINE $37.00
LOW OUTER SIDELINE $32.00
UPPER OUTER SIDELINE/LOW END ZONE $17.00
UPPER END ZONE $12.00
BLEACHERS $7.00

On another note, I see a couple of NFL vets playing over there...guys like Jermaine Wiggins, Simeon Rice. I can understand some younger guys trying to resurrect their career (JP Losman is there too) but what are the older guys over there for? I wouldn't think they need the money, which isn't that great, and certainly they have no chance of getting back to the NFL. Maybe one more shot at a bit of glory?

Sparkey
10-08-2009, 09:51 AM

CENTER SIDELINE $42.00
UPPER END ZONE $12.00
BLEACHERS $7.00

On another note, I see a couple of NFL vets playing over there...guys like Jermaine Wiggins, Simeon Rice. I can understand some younger guys trying to resurrect their career (JP Losman is there too) but what are the older guys over there for? I wouldn't think they need the money, which isn't that great, and certainly they have no chance of getting back to the NFL. Maybe one more shot at a bit of glory?

The Packers should scout each teams Left Tackles during their season!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Looked at the Vegas roster...and there are a number of very familiar names in addition to losman.

1. Wendell Bryant. Ex badger trying to get his life together after substance problems. A guy who could get back in the league.
2. Ross Kolodjiez. Ex Badger.
3. Marcell Shipp. Ex Card
4. Teddy Lehman. Oklahoma
5. Gary Stills. WVU. Ravens among others.
6. Josh Scobey. Kansas or Kstate...who can tell the difference in football.
7. Tab Perry. UCLA, bengals and dolphins...guy was decent till blowing out his achilles.
8. Samie Parker. Oregon or Oregon State..without OregonPack to tell me which is which they blend together. Ex KC and recently of the raiders who released him when they signed ex packer mike hawkins.
9. Adam Bergen. One start TE with the Cards.
10 DAvid Kircus. Broncos among others.
11. Andrae Thurman. Ex packer
12. Tony Parrish. Bear and 9er. Dude could play.
13. Joe Porter.Ex packer.

Didn't recognize one name from the OL.

channtheman
10-08-2009, 02:56 PM

CENTER SIDELINE $42.00
UPPER END ZONE $12.00
BLEACHERS $7.00

I would guess they just want to keep playing football but the NFL is too competitive for them at this point.

Charles Woodson
10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Hopefully this could stick and eventually prove to be a sort of "minor league system"

Tyrone Bigguns
10-08-2009, 03:40 PM

CENTER SIDELINE $42.00
UPPER END ZONE $12.00
BLEACHERS $7.00

I would guess they just want to keep playing football but the NFL is too competitive for them at this point.

I dont' think the NFL is too competitve, it is the salary the have to make as vets vs. their production.

A guy like Rice might be able to be a productive backup (not arguing for him..just using as an example), but you have to pay him around a million...and most teams don't want to do that. Why pay him that much when you can get a guy for half as much who can do the job...and you can use the savings to pay other guys.

packers11
10-08-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.ufl-football.com/versus.html

live streaming right now

Jimx29
10-08-2009, 09:48 PM
The uniforms are oddly similar and mostly are combinations of highlighter pen green, blue, grey and black.This is what I first noticed when I turned in the Las Vegas - California game going on right now.

They even have a "minor league" type of announcers....I hear Doug Flutie gabbing away.

On another side note....Denny Green is soon to become jabba the hut....damn he's put the lbs back on and then some
:?

bobblehead
10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Hopefully this could stick and eventually prove to be a sort of "minor league system"

This was my thought too. If the league functions like NFL Europe and acts as a minor league it could be good. Some guys who might have never made it in the NFL got just enough experience over there to make a career....Cullen Jenkins if I recall correctly.

sharpe1027
10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I watched about five minutes and gave up after becoming frustrated because it was nearly impossible to tell the teams apart. They all wore the same color uniforms.