PDA

View Full Version : Packers Memorabilia

Brando19
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
What's the coolest piece of Packers' memorabilia any of you Rats own? I own a Brett Favre autographed framed photo when he threw the Superbowl TD pass and took his helmet off on the field. It includes a piece of his game worn jersey, as well. I would love to have a Charles Woodson autographed jersey or helmet.

MichiganPackerFan
10-09-2009, 07:27 AM
A heavily charred #4 jersey? Kidding....

swede
10-09-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm not into that stuff.

What I treasure are the off-chance meetings, a handshake, a chance to ask a question and get a sense of who the players and former players are.

I spoke to Fuzzy Thurston on the phone once when I was about fifteen. I pretended to be Howard Cosell. He cheerfully answered my interview questions and gently nixed any idea of a comeback, claiming that his knees made it hard to play tennis, much less football.

Last week, KGB showed up to my son's freshman football game. He is a friend of one of the coaches. He stood on the sidelines and helped encourage the boys. You could tell that cat is so comfortable in his own skin and so unassuming that he feels just as much at home on the sidelines of high school freshman game as he would at an NFL game. When I met Donald Driver it felt like I was meeting royalty. Shaking KGB's hand and talking to him gave a much different impression of a very down-to-earth and content person.

It was enough to talk about the game at hand. I would have liked to have asked him things about his career, but I was enjoying the moment as it was. For some reason I prefer not to ask for autographs and stuff.

Brando19
10-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm not into that stuff.

What I treasure are the off-chance meetings, a handshake, a chance to ask a question and get a sense of who the players and former players are.

I spoke to Fuzzy Thurston on the phone once when I was about fifteen. I pretended to be Howard Cosell. He cheerfully answered my interview questions and gently nixed any idea of a comeback, claiming that his knees made it hard to play tennis, much less football.

Last week, KGB showed up to my son's freshman football game. He is a friend of one of the coaches. He stood on the sidelines and helped encourage the boys. You could tell that cat is so comfortable in his own skin and so unassuming that he feels just as much at home on the sidelines of high school freshman game as he would at an NFL game. When I met Donald Driver it felt like I was meeting royalty. Shaking KGB's hand and talking to him gave a much different impression of a very down-to-earth and content person.

It was enough to talk about the game at hand. I would have liked to have asked him things about his career, but I was enjoying the moment as it was. For some reason I prefer not to ask for autographs and stuff.

Cool story! I've not had many chances to meet any Packer players...but I did meet Dorsey Levens and he is down to earth as well.

By the way, how did you pull off the fake interview with Fuzzy?

ThunderDan
10-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I got a birthday card from Jan Stenerud one year in the early 80s. That's all, move along.

bbbffl66
10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I have a signed football from the 1968 Packers. That would be the 1st year of the Phil Bengston era. Still cool though, Starr, Adderly, ect.

And a wooden statue of an ex-qb who wore #4 that is signed.

swede
10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm not into that stuff.

Cool story! I've not had many chances to meet any Packer players...but I did meet Dorsey Levens and he is down to earth as well.

By the way, how did you pull off the fake interview with Fuzzy?

I grew up in Appleton. Fuzzy's number was in the phone book. We were prank calling one afternoon, and Howard Cosell was one of the staple imitations any good class clown had to be able to do.

Fuzzy answers phone and I (Howard Cosell) told him that I had just a few questions for the "indomitable Fred 'Fuzzy' Thurston" and accused him of surreptitiously planning a surprise comeback to his football career.

He just said "Well, Howard..." and he played along for a couple of questions. He could have hung up. but he thought it was a fun thing to do for a few minutes in the afternoon.

get louder at lambeau
10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I have a Favre rookie card that I got signed by him in his first training camp with GB, before he ever even threw a pass in preseason or regular season. That was from my first visit to Lambeau.

I got my Packer hat signed by Kampy, Jordy, James Jones, Finley, and Barbre in Denver in '07, in the game where Favre threw the longest overtime TD in NFL history. I was wandering drunk through the packing lot, and happened on the area where the players were getting on the buses. Shook Rich Gannon's hand too. He was announcing the game. Strange to see a Raider legend walking around unmolested at Mile High.

denverYooper
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I have a Favre rookie card that I got signed by him in his first training camp with GB, before he ever even threw a pass in preseason or regular season. That was from my first visit to Lambeau.

I got my Packer hat signed by Kampy, Jordy, James Jones, Finley, and Barbre in Denver in '07, in the game where Favre threw the longest overtime TD in NFL history. I was wandering drunk through the packing lot, and happened on the area where the players were getting on the buses. Shook Rich Gannon's hand too. He was announcing the game. Strange to see a Raider legend walking around unmolested at Mile High.

I was at that game also with my sister and her hubby. Did you take the party bus to the Sports Column after the game?

bobblehead
10-09-2009, 02:12 PM
A picture of me and tony mandarich with his hand on my head engulfing it. It was taken at that old grocery store next to the KMart by the stadium...what was the name of it again. Not a piggly wiggly, but something like that. Anyway, I think its still at my moms house somewhere. I stopped collecting stuff like that when I turned 16.

get louder at lambeau
10-09-2009, 02:13 PM

I was at that game also with my sister and her hubby. Did you take the party bus to the Sports Column after the game?

You know what, come to think of it? I lied. I was at that game, but I got the hat autographed at the Denver preseason game last year, not the OT game. You know what else? I forgot to add Josh Sitton. It was the game where Jones and Sitton both hurt their knees and fucked up our season. They both said they would be fine. Liars.