PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Merriman on trading block?

packers11
10-09-2009, 09:56 AM
The Chargers' defensive players were "put on notice," according to beat writer Kevin Acee.

Acee reports that defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has made all jobs up for grabs during the team's bye week. If you saw Rivera screaming at his defense during the Pittsburgh debacle, you believe Acee. Also, Acee says that general manager A.J. Smith is on the phone trying to make a deal. Shawne Merriman makes sense as one guy that might be on the trading block.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

3-4 OLB that can generate pressure, although he is coming off a major injury, him at 70% would be a major upgrade at the OLB pass rushing spot.

Thoughts???

What do you think it would take to get him? 2nd and 3rd?

Scott Campbell
10-09-2009, 10:01 AM
The Chargers' defensive players were "put on notice," according to beat writer Kevin Acee.

Acee reports that defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has made all jobs up for grabs during the team's bye week. If you saw Rivera screaming at his defense during the Pittsburgh debacle, you believe Acee. Also, Acee says that general manager A.J. Smith is on the phone trying to make a deal. Shawne Merriman makes sense as one guy that might be on the trading block.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

3-4 OLB that can generate pressure, although he is coming off a major injury, him at 70% would be a major upgrade at the OLB pass rushing spot.

Thoughts???

What do you think it would take to get him? 2nd and 3rd?

I'd give up Kampman for him, and then pray hard that he regains his form. But I don't know if San Diego would be interested.

mraynrand
10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I think we could get him for Jeremy Thompson, so long as we sweeten the pot with an MTV skank.

Fritz
10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Kampman and a third in exchange for Shawne Merriman, his performance-enhancing drugs AND masking agents, and the rights to Tila Tequila's next reality show plus an occasional "show" between Tila and female friend, performed specifically for me and a friend of my choice whose name is Bretsky.

KYPack
10-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Kampman and a third in exchange for Shawne Merriman, his performance-enhancing drugs AND masking agents, and the rights to Tila Tequila's next reality show plus an occasional "show" between Tila and female friend, performed specifically for me and a friend of my choice whose name is Bretsky.

Screw it, let's just give 'em Bretsky and Fritz.

Merriman hasn't hit a lick this year. No sacks, 8 tackles (13th on the team). He's reportedly nursing a groin injury. No jokes, pls.

If we get Tila Tequila in the deal, remember to hose her down first. That little baby is nasty.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
"Who in the fuck is tila tequila? Is she a stripper?...That's her? Yeah, that's a stripper, son, I don't give a shit what you say."

Partial
10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Would trade for Merriman in a second. I'd offer a two right now... Maybe even a #1. He's hurt so he won't be super effective this year, but he is a rare pass rushing talent. Matthews and Merriman on the edges would look really nice going forward!!!

SkinBasket
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
I was going to post something terribly and horrendously inappropriate. It was almost inhuman how insensitive it would have been. Then I stopped myself. I must be getting old.

Fritz
10-09-2009, 10:36 AM
As I hope was evident from my tongue-in-cheek (not in between Tila's cheeks, thanks) reply, I want no part of that guy.

He's a documented performance-enhancing-drug user, he's nursing a groin injury (though this suggests he is incredibly flexible), he sucks ass this year, and he likes women like Tila Tequila.

That's four strikes. Thanks, but no thanks.

denverYooper
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
"Who in the fuck is tila tequila? Is she a stripper?...That's her? Yeah, that's a stripper, son, I don't give a shit what you say."

Ah, Justin's dad, with a quote for every occasion.

Brando19
10-09-2009, 10:53 AM
They were bashing Merriman on Sirius NFL Radio this morning. One host called him soft while the other said he's a below average linebacker since his injury and they don't know if he'll regain his form.

I believe he will. I would not give up Kampman...but I would offer a 2nd round pick.

Scott Campbell
10-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I was going to post something terribly and horrendously inappropriate. It was almost inhuman how insensitive it would have been. Then I stopped myself. I must be getting old.

PM it to me, and I'll post it.

red
10-09-2009, 11:29 AM
merriman is a shell of his former self and its not because of an injury

the guy wasn't looking good after he got busted for roids and before the injury

i don't know if he'll ever return to form without the juice

Partial
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Wasn't he suspended for some supp in whey protein? It was castillo that was doing the actual roids if I remember correctly.

I don't recall Merriman doing roids.

Fritz
10-09-2009, 12:18 PM
That's what Merriman and his agent claimed; Chris Mortenson had a source that declared that was absolutely not the case.

It's the classic "he said/he said" situation.

So you can't say for sure that he hasn't done steroids, nor can I say for sure he has.

But he's playing like crap this year, post-injury, and has some character issues (anyone hanging around Tila Tequila has issues).

I'd rather have Kampman.

mraynrand
10-09-2009, 12:24 PM

That's the SC we know and...well, kinda like.

rbaloha1
10-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Would trade for Merriman in a second. I'd offer a two right now... Maybe even a #1. He's hurt so he won't be super effective this year, but he is a rare pass rushing talent. Matthews and Merriman on the edges would look really nice going forward!!!

Yup lets make the deal. Then trade Kampman to the AFC.

SkinBasket
10-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Yup lets make the deal. Then trade Kampman to the AFC.

I'd give them a 4 and their choice of Deshawn Wynn, Bigby, or Poppinga.

I'd also stipulate that a provision be added to his contract demanding the lights out dance (or any other roid rage dance) is not allowed under any circumstances.

The guy is now "injury prone," playing poorly, hangs out with the wrong people, eats the wrong roids, and dances like a fucktard. Offering a 1 or 2 would be silly, especially with no contract in place after this season. You trade a high pick for a LB who is going to make plays, not one who used to.

Freak Out
10-09-2009, 02:24 PM
If were going to make a trade how about we do it for a OT or two. Kampy and a #2 for Joe Thomas?

bobblehead
10-09-2009, 02:25 PM

Well, you could PM the rats who can take it. :shock:

bobblehead
10-09-2009, 02:26 PM

I really gotta start reading the whole thread before I post.

bobblehead
10-09-2009, 02:29 PM
If were going to make a trade how about we do it for a OT or two. Kampy and a #2 for Joe Thomas?

Right now I would give up kamp and a 1st and 3rd for Joe Thomas. And cleveland still wouldn't do it. Kamp walks after this year anyway, or we trade him for a second....effectively a 1,2,3 for Joe Thomas would be a steal. Marquis LT's don't come along often.

Freak Out
10-09-2009, 02:56 PM

Right now I would give up kamp and a 1st and 3rd for Joe Thomas. And cleveland still wouldn't do it. Kamp walks after this year anyway, or we trade him for a second....effectively a 1,2,3 for Joe Thomas would be a steal. Marquis LT's don't come along often.

Joe de Sade? :wink:

ThunderDan
10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Merriman isn't worth a 4th right now. He had a knee injury last year and we are seeing how well Barnett is doing for us. Why do we need another?

The only upside in trading for Merriman might be next year when he is a 1+ year after the injury.

KYPack
10-09-2009, 04:17 PM
C'mon, Skin, let 'er dance. Post it, pal,

This is a big boy/girl kinda forum. The guy that said he was a kid was lyin' anyhow.

Let it rip.

SkinBasket
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
It would have referenced events that are still too recent to make light of. That and now anything I post would be a let down.

mraynrand
10-09-2009, 04:31 PM

Just what we want: a Marquis dominant LT or DLT or LT,D. So which is it? the Marquis or the LTD?

http://www.mercuryarchive.com/1973to1978/1975GrandMarquisBrgm.jpg

http://www.vintagedreamcars.com/Website-Pic.JPG

http://www.chromespinners.com/images/1971%20FORD%20LTD.%20WITH%20OMEGA%20ECSTACY%20WHEE LS.jpg

rbaloha1
10-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Merriman isn't worth a 4th right now. He had a knee injury last year and we are seeing how well Barnett is doing for us. Why do we need another?

The only upside in trading for Merriman might be next year when he is a 1+ year after the injury.

Trade Barnett and pics for merriman.

Partial
10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I completely disagree with some of you guys. Not worth a 4th rounder? He's coming off an injury so of course he's going to be slow for a year, just like Barnett and Brady. This guy might be the best pass rusher in the league. Rare talent.

Partial
10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I completely disagree with some of you guys. Not worth a 4th rounder? He's coming off an injury so of course he's going to be slow for a year, just like Barnett and Brady. This guy might be the best pass rusher in the league. Rare talent.

Freak Out
10-09-2009, 05:45 PM

This was a badass ride....a true party on wheels car.

Rastak
10-09-2009, 05:48 PM

This was a badass ride....a true party on wheels car.

I always liked the Lincoln Mark IV.

MOBB DEEP
10-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Even tho he played college ball 15 minutes from my crib, and I called it as far as his potential goes back then, I dont want him; more of a wanabe tough guy than barnett....i like kamp MUCH more

SkinBasket
10-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Goddamn it partial, get rid of that ridiculously stupid and flamboyant intentionally annoying signature. At least use your computer skillz to align your cute little cars whorizontally.

Partial
10-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Goddamn it partial, get rid of that ridiculously stupid and flamboyant intentionally annoying signature. At least use your computer skillz to align your cute little cars whorizontally.

No way bro. I don't think I could do a good job. If you do it for me, I will use it.

SkinBasket
10-10-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm sorry, it had to be done. Don't take it personally, it's more a comment on a white guy having a flaming gay version of "thug" in his signature on a interweb forum. I'm sure there's some pop culture reference to it I'm not getting...

http://trishatruly.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/letter-n-2601.jpghttp://www.uncp.edu/home/acurtis/Courses/PhotojournSpr06/images/StudentPhotos/FaridSafaie/FaridSafaieLetterE_th.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s6fUau_2za0/SMmCAOLP5CI/AAAAAAAAARk/yx48MT2UZLQ/s320/block_with_letter_r2.jpghttp://z.about.com/d/deafness/1/0/S/2/LetterD_smaller.jpg

Dabaddestbear
10-10-2009, 08:33 AM

EXACTLY!

Partial
10-10-2009, 11:13 AM
2006: Missed first four games due to suspension. After that, he still went on to lead the league is sacks. I don't see how this can be a result of things he was taking as after his suspension he was likely tested like a fiend.

2007: New defensive coordinator as Wade Phillips left for Dallas. He still had 12.5 sacks.

2008: Tore his knee up early and tried to play through the pain.

2009: Still recovering, not sure if he is playing a lot. Anyone know how he is doing?

He has the body type, speed and size to succeed at the position. I think he'll be a star again.

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 11:15 AM

So you are going to trade for a player based on their 2005, 2006 and 2007 stats? Merriman has shown no hint he can play at that level again. SD is on the verge of benching him.

Partial
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM

So you are going to trade for a player based on their 2005, 2006 and 2007 stats? Merriman has shown no hint he can play at that level again. SD is on the verge of benching him.

He's recovering from an injury. Are you willing to rule out Barnett ever getting back to his level? Barnett is in the same situation and should be benched as well. The difference? Merriman was a superstar, where as Barnett is just better than average. Both will get back to their prior form, but Merriman is much younger, bigger and stronger and as a result is much more likely to get back to form.

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Merriman was a superstar when he was juicing!!!

Merriman has made 8 tackles all year. Barnett, who hurt his knee 8 weeks later than Merriman, is third on GB with tackles with 22.

Partial
10-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Merriman has made 8 tackles all year. Barnett, who hurt his knee 8 weeks later than Merriman, is third on GB with tackles with 22.

Then how do you explain 2006 and 2007? You really think he was juicing after he got caught? I do not. See the thing about roids is you have to keep tacking them or your metabolism quickly catches up and you become quite catabolic. I don't see him as any smaller than he was then...

Do you have any evidence that it was actually roids? He claims they were not. I don't have any other hard evidence either way, as all we've heard is him denying it and Mortenson (drama and ratings) accusing him of it.

Unfair to compare the positions and tackles between Barnett and Merriman.

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Then how do you explain 2006 and 2007? You really think he was juicing after he got caught? I do not. See the thing about roids is you have to keep tacking them or your metabolism quickly catches up and you become quite catabolic. I don't see him as any smaller than he was then...

Do you have any evidence that it was actually roids? He claims they were not. I don't have any other hard evidence either way, as all we've heard is him denying it and Mortenson (drama and ratings) accusing him of it.

Then why don't you bring up Merriman's stats? I will for you.

2005 15G 57T 10S 3.8T/Game .67S/Game
2006 12G 62T 17S 5.2T/Game 1.4S/Game
2007 15G 68T 12.5S 4.5T/Game .83S/Game
2009 4G 8T 0S 2.0T/Game 0.0S/Game

Seems like a big drop off to me.

Merriman was suspended by the NFL I will take that as evidence that he was using a banned substance.

Scott Campbell
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I bet he's taking some penicillin after Tila Tequila.

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Partial, if you are advocating trading for injuried players coming off of great previous years, where were you on drafting Harrell?

Partial
10-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Then why don't you bring up Merriman's stats? I will for you.

2005 15G 57T 10S 3.8T/Game .67S/Game
2006 12G 62T 17S 5.2T/Game 1.4S/Game
2007 15G 68T 12.5S 4.5T/Game .83S/Game
2009 4G 8T 0S 2.0T/Game 0.0S/Game

Seems like a big drop off to me.

Merriman was suspended by the NFL I will take that as evidence that he was using a banned substance.

No one is doubting he used a banned substance... banned substance != steroids necessarily.

.75 sacks per game for 2005 and 2007, throwing out the year he was literally lights out and possibly did roids. That's 12 sacks per season. Pretty damn good for a young player. Kampman is on pace for 4. I will give you Merriman is on pace for 0, but he is coming off a very serious injury and in the limited time I've watched the SC he has been on the sidelines. I would make that deal in a heart beat given the age of the two of them, etc.

Do you have pressure numbers? Hurries? I think few would argue that he is not a top 5-6 pass rusher in the NFL when he was healthy.

I bet they'd do it straight up for Kampman if they're looking to get rid of SM fast because Kampy will come off the books next year. NBA style trade ftw.

The guy is a great player who is very young. He's not signed to a big contract. If he turns into a bad trade, so what? Make the move and give it a whirl. I'd take the opportunity to strike gold (like the Vikes did with Allen, but for a much lower price) and find fools gold than draft another guy like Brandon Jackson or Pat Lee. You're going to need to be picking top 5-7 to get a guy with his blend of size and athleticism with all the 3-4 D's in the league now. I would think you can get this cat for a 2 or maybe Kampman.

Don't have a problem with drafting Harrell at all. Don't like the Raji pick much at all but hope he turns into a stud.

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you have pressure numbers? Hurries? I think few would argue that he is not a top 5-6 pass rusher in the NFL when he was healthy.

Please look up your own statistics. Can't you do any of your own leg work? :oops:

Partial
10-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Please look up your own statistics. Can't you do any of your own leg work? :oops:

I'll take that as a victory.

http://www.eteamz.com/LibertyvilleLadyCats/images/basketball.swish2.jpg

That sound you're hearing is *swish*.

MJZiggy
10-10-2009, 02:56 PM

No, that sound is you being too lazy to back up your own ideas. Look it up or concede the point. You're the one who asked the question.

Partial
10-10-2009, 03:11 PM

No, that sound is you being too lazy to back up your own ideas. Look it up or concede the point. You're the one who asked the question.

I'm pretty sure the fact I put out a nice post that TD could not argue with and not look like a jag. He responded with a giant nothing and instead of addressing the point, he tried to be a prick and make me look lazy. There isn't a point to concede other than Merriman is without a doubt a great player when healthy, and we could use a guy like him on our roster as he's the perfect fit for one of our OLB spots.

Please tell me what point that I'm supposed to concede. Are you telling me you wouldn't want a guy who has made the pro bowl every year (despite being a young player who isn't popular with fans) he has been healthy (all but one year) and who has been one of the most dominant D players in the league since he entered it. You tell me.

That said, I can think of a few guys who are better:

1. Freeney (extremely fast off edge, gets a ton of pressure despite not huge sack numbers)
2. Ware (a fricking animal)
3. Possibly Allen (This guy is just a beast)
4. Abraham ( This guy is so freaking good but he is always hurt)
5. Maybe super Mario.

That's all I can think of.

NFL.com has a nice article on pass rushers. They rank Merriman 5th.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81116e61&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Bossman641
10-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Partial,

Not to be an ass, but aren't you always the one making claims without any stats to back them up? Then, when faced with stats you just shoot them down anyways and base your argument around your opinion and what you see.

And, your swish picture is what people warn you about as far as acting like a douche and declaring yourself the winner in arguments.

woodbuck27
10-10-2009, 03:31 PM

Merriman hasn't hit a lick this year. No sacks, 8 tackles (13th on the team). He's reportedly nursing a groin injury. No jokes, pls.

If we get Tila Tequila in the deal, remember to hose her down first. That little baby is nasty.

Beautifl KY. :lol:

Shawne and Tila Tequila in Green Bay.....mmmmm. Nawwwww. Too milk and cheese for that sweetie.

Bretsky
10-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Bretsky appreciates it that KY would try to send him to San Diego
Fritz and I will alternate being each other's wing man and playing the good guy/bad guy game

Been listending to the playboy network (Andrea Lowell in the morn) and am convinced that if you want to work some magic on multiple hotties California is the best place to try :!:

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 03:49 PM

I have already put up statistics that show my point of horrible productivity. You make up a statement and don't have any support and you say you win. Sounds crazy to me.

Or are you afraid you will put up Ruvell's career stats instead of 2008.

Once again, do your own work.

Partial
10-10-2009, 03:51 PM
You posted my support. Why do I need to go and get anymore than the elite numbers you posted? Aye yai yai.

LOL, no production? 12 sacks in his rookie year? Leading the NFL in sacks his second year in 12 games played to 16 for most other players? 12 sacks in his 3rd year in a new defensive system?

He was hurt all of last year.

Those are pretty god damn good stats. How are those making your points at all?!? Those stats scream "TRADE FOR ME I AM ELITE".

LOL, this was the funniest post I have ever responded to on here. Are you making a joke?

This guy averages almost as many sacks per game historically as the entire Packers team does per game this year. Clearly you do not understand what makes up an elite pass rusher if you're going to argue this point.

This is a two year injury. Get back to me next year when he's still 26 and a premiere player.

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 03:52 PM

In a quasi-Partial rant, "What does this do to improve this Forum? You are wasting space. You are number 16 on my list of 26 worthless posts in this thread."

ThunderDan
10-10-2009, 03:54 PM
LOL, no production? 12 sacks in his rookie year? Leading the NFL in sacks his second year in 12 games played to 16 for most other players? 12 sacks in his 3rd year in a new defensive system?

Those are pretty god damn good stats. How are those making your points at all?!? Those stats scream "TRADE FOR ME I AM ELITE".

LOL, this was the funniest post I have ever responded to on here. Are you making a joke?

Do you not comprehend what I am saying???

I said Merriman was excellent in 2005, 2006 and 2007. He was hurt and now isn't producing. Is that hard to understand?

Partial
10-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Do you not comprehend what I am saying???

I said Merriman was good in 2005, 2006 and 2007. He was hurt and now isn't producing. Is that hard to understand?

Right... and because he is hurt and not producing means he will never produce again?

What are you even arguing? He's hurt, of course he isn't effective right now.

Few of sound mind would dispute that he is an elite pass rusher when healthy. We could really use an elite password.

SkinBasket
10-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Will short gym shorts be required since we're all back in 3rd grade now?

Find some stats that show you aren't a bisexual garden gnome with a fetish for hotdogs. If you can't or won't then I must be right. Swish! Swoosh! Kazaam!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/ivan1087/SGCQJ8ymV6I/AAAAAAAACfQ/AmLdI6FdhKU/KAZAAM-783477.JPG

Partial
10-10-2009, 03:57 PM
In a quasi-Partial rant, "What does this do to improve this Forum? You are wasting space. You are number 16 on my list of 26 worthless posts in this thread."

One difference between you and I is, I didn't A) attack you, or B) insult you. There are obviously more, but I don't want to stoop to your level and deliver personal attacks.

SkinBasket
10-10-2009, 04:02 PM
One difference between you and I is, I didn't A) attack you, or B) insult you. There are obviously more, but I don't want to stoop to your level and deliver personal attacks.

You called him a jag and said his argument was "nothing."

He, on the other hand, asked you to look up the stats you seemed to think were important to the debate (pressures and hurries).

Who is it you think you're fooling?

red
10-10-2009, 04:35 PM

he was caught in the middle of 2006, i think he already played 7 or 8 games before the suspension

there is no real proof if it was or wasn't roids. the closest is this from the original article from espn

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2635475

Merriman's positive test was "definitely for steroids … not one of those supplement deals," said a source with knowledge of Merriman's suspension earlier Monday. Both the initial A sample and backup B sample came back positive, Mortensen reported.

he was nowhere near the force in 2007 that he was in 2006 or 2005

Fritz
10-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Bretsky appreciates it that KY would try to send him to San Diego
Fritz and I will alternate being each other's wing man and playing the good guy/bad guy game

Been listending to the playboy network (Andrea Lowell in the morn) and am convinced that if you want to work some magic on multiple hotties California is the best place to try :!:

Hay-ull yeah, Bretsky, but there's no need for either of us to be wing man with ol' Tila! She'll do the front man, the wing man, the back door man - all at the same time!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Ty just wants to make sure he understands the whole merriman thing.

We have concluded that Partial is bisexual garden gnome with a fetish for hotdogs, right?

ThunderDan
08-20-2012, 01:27 PM
This thread seems appropriate right now. Plus it bring back a few of the old timers that haven't been around/banned for years.

Iron Mike
08-20-2012, 01:36 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YY6AgYPCDL8/TM4BLpKb6vI/AAAAAAAAWCc/MgC5xw650yg/s400/IMG_5790post.jpg

Awwww, check out the baby Partial!!!!

ThunderDan
08-20-2012, 01:39 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YY6AgYPCDL8/TM4BLpKb6vI/AAAAAAAAWCc/MgC5xw650yg/s400/IMG_5790post.jpg

Awwww, check out the baby Partial!!!!

Mike, you are the ultimate source of perfect pictures!

pbmax
08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
What the HELL is going on here?

Zool
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Just Partial being Partial. Nothing new in this thread.

pbmax
08-20-2012, 02:17 PM
For a minute, I thought both were back. Would like to see Ty return. :lol:

Iron Mike
08-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Mike, you are the ultimate source of perfect pictures!

I don't take 'em.....I just find 'em.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/311800_10151020265176989_1209842739_n.jpg