PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 Vaccine

GrnBay007
10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I've never had a flu shot. Only had the flu (a bad one) once in the last who knows how long....at least 10-15 years (knock on wood). Have always kinda thought if you are healthy why get a flu shot ...and wondered if these vaccines actually lessen the body's natural immune system in fighting off illness. (?)

So now I'm told through my employer we will be offered the H1N1 vaccine free of charge because we are at "high risk". Wondering if should go ahead and get it. There have been confirmed cases in our city and just today in the news one of the 3 High Schools had 15% of the school out with the flu. They are unsure if it's H1N1 at this point....or at least that's what they are saying.

MJZiggy
10-09-2009, 06:39 PM
The only reason I might consider it is that there are some healthy people who have wound up in the ICU with it.

Freak Out
10-09-2009, 07:00 PM
I'd do it if it was me. There have been lots of confirmed cases here and a few deaths. Not sure what you do or where you go but I travel all over the damn world so I'll take the chance.

Kiwon
10-09-2009, 07:01 PM
H1N1 has not been as bad as people feared, this strain at least. For most people, it's no worse than any other time.

But I did note that there have been credible doctors speak pro and con about the vaccine, however. If you had the time, I'd research and see the reactions that people had after being inoculated.

If I recall your profession correctly then you come into contact with a wide variety of people, some of them fairly unhealthy I imagine. I would think seriously about getting the shot. There is always a risk with any vaccine, but the risk is statistically small. But H1N1 is not as dangerous as advertised as well.

In Korea, the government is giving people Tamiflu after they show some symptoms. People recover fairly quickly. Many of the flu cases are quite mild.

We should remember that the “regular” flu kills over 30,000 a year in the US. H1N1 as a new flu just adds to that risk.

Jimx29
10-10-2009, 02:34 AM
We should remember that the “regular” flu kills over 30,000 a year in the US. H1N1 as a new flu just adds to that risk.

76 Kids Dead of H1N1 Flu as Cases Rise

(CBS/ AP) Health officials said Friday that 76 children have died of H1N1 flu (also known as swine flu), including 16 new reports in the past week - more evidence the new virus is unusually dangerous in kids.

The regular flu kills between 46 and 88 children a year, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/09/health/main5374851.shtml

Gunakor
10-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Every time I've gotten a flu shot I've gotten sick with the flu immediately. I don't get flu shots anymore. I'll take my chances, and if I get sick I get sick. It's far better than paying someone to make sure I get sick.

sheepshead
10-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Barack Obama, Kathy Sebelious, Tom Daschle...'nuff said.

retailguy
10-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Every time I've gotten a flu shot I've gotten sick with the flu immediately. I don't get flu shots anymore. I'll take my chances, and if I get sick I get sick. It's far better than paying someone to make sure I get sick.

Misconceptions about Seasonal Influenza and Influenza Vaccines
Questions & Answers
Misconceptions about the flu shots
Can a flu shot give you the flu?

No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. The influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are inactivated (killed), which means they cannot cause infection. Flu vaccine manufacturers kill the viruses used in the vaccine during the process of making vaccine, and batches of flu vaccine are tested to make sure they are safe. In randomized, blinded studies, where some people get flu shots and others get salt-water shots, the only differences in symptoms was increased soreness in the arm and redness at the injection site among people who got the flu shot. There were no differences in terms of body aches, fever, cough, runny nose or sore throat.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

CaptainKickass
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Questions & Answers

No, a flu shot cannot cause flu illness. The influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are inactivated (killed), which means they cannot cause infection. Flu vaccine manufacturers kill the viruses used in the vaccine during the process of making vaccine, and batches of flu vaccine are tested to make sure they are safe. In randomized, blinded studies, where some people get flu shots and others get salt-water shots, the only differences in symptoms was increased soreness in the arm and redness at the injection site among people who got the flu shot. There were no differences in terms of body aches, fever, cough, runny nose or sore throat.

I'm with Gun on this one.

I too have gotten the flu within a week of the 3 times I got a flu shot. The rest of the years = no flu for me.

I tend to disbelieve the necessity of the "regular" flu shot as well as the "Favre-like" overhyping, and overadvertising the government has done regarding h1n1. I can't go more than a half hour on any media without hearing about it.

If I had kids, which I don't, I might consider the vaccine, but I'd need to run the numbers on age and effect.

Also - the CDC/gov/media have all laid claim to the fact that they still know little about h1n1.

I'll take my chances with good ol' mother nature as my source of protection.

Zool
10-12-2009, 10:37 AM

You sure you don't have any kids?

retailguy
10-12-2009, 10:45 AM

xactly! :shock:

hoosier
10-12-2009, 10:53 AM

Questions & Answers

That's true for the flu shot you get in the arm, but not for the nasal mist version that is available for H1N1. The nasal mist is a live virus, though it has been "weakened" and isn't supposed to be able to cause flu in the person getting it.

GrnBay007
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
OK, 11 people said no, or absolutely not but there are very few explanations as to why they feel that way. :?:

sheepshead
10-12-2009, 11:43 AM
OK, 11 people said no, or absolutely not but there are very few explanations as to why they feel that way. :?:

I will not get stuck with a needle on the advise of people with no experience or education to make such a call/ My doc says I dont need it, thus I will not get it. Ask your doc, not some liberal ideologue.

Zool
10-12-2009, 12:57 PM
2 out of the last 5 years I've gotten a flu shot. Got sick both years. 2 of the years I didnt get the shot I got sick. So far my odds are better without so why the hell bother with it? Do we really need to keep making these viruses stronger each year by giving them something new to fight against?

Freak Out
10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Obviously you are smart enough not to base your decision on anything posted on this board. :)

Bretsky
10-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Hell yes
it's called improving the odds

CaptainKickass
10-15-2009, 04:39 PM

xactly! :shock:

Haha,

Looks like Captain Kickass gets a dose of his own medicine from his arch-nemesis: Captain Context.

No - for that kind of protection there can be only one:

http://www.mpgh.net/forum/customavatars/avatar356146_1.gif

http://www.nationallampoon.com/files/2009/06/trojan-man.jpg

And that's just for the STD's. There's this procedure a guy can get to ensure he doesn't procreate. But I'll let y'all dwell on that.