PDA

View Full Version : Tauscher signs

KYPack
10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
No new pair of "Levi's", Mark Tauscher signs a contract this AM.

Blackmon to IR and more details to follow.

We are on our path to the Super Bowl, no?

CaptainKickass
10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Let's hope he can help us immediately.

Deputy Nutz
10-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Great. I like Tausch but to the sneer of Ted Thompson he takes snaps away from a young buck and hinders Barbre's learning curve.

How could Thompson allow this? He has gone soft.

red
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
good news

Zool
10-12-2009, 10:23 AM
no

retailguy
10-12-2009, 10:48 AM

No.

But, signing Tausch is a good thing, even if he doesn't start. We just need some experience there. Very very thin.

Can I offer Ted something for Levi Jones too?

denverYooper
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
No new pair of "Levi's", Mark Tauscher signs a contract this AM.

Blackmon to IR and more details to follow.

At least on the path to keeping ourselves in the conversation.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Levi Jones isn't going to sign unless he is a starter. End of story.

retailguy
10-12-2009, 11:07 AM

He will be after next week, when Cliffy gets hurt again.

Besides, you have no idea what you're talking about. Unemployed vs. employed.... You can only wait so long for an injury replacement.

His last earning year.... he'll sign somewhere.

Packers4Glory
10-12-2009, 11:38 AM
thank GOD.

This is only going to help.

The Shadow
10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Great move, not only for talent & experience, but for intangibles.

Brandon494
10-12-2009, 11:52 AM

Besides, you have no idea what you're talking about. Unemployed vs. employed.... You can only wait so long for an injury replacement.

Exactly why do you want Levi? Because he is a name player? He is garbage which is the reason he is still a FA.

retailguy
10-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Exactly why do you want Levi? Because he is a name player? He is garbage which is the reason he is still a FA.

I want him because he has a wee bit more experience than TJ Lang, which was what we were down to last week in the Viking game. TJ Lang is NOT ready to play.

Levi Jones is sitting at home at this point waiting for an injury so he can start. That option isn't coming, and sooner, rather than later, he'll take backup money as opposed to no money.

He's a crafty over the hill vet who knows every trick in the book and knows what to do when he sees something unusual. Quite honestly, I think he's got "something" left. Is it what Cliffy has got? clearly NO. But, Cliffy has been injured more than not, and is likely to be injured again soon.

Jones is all that is available, name or no name, because it is OCTOBER. It is the best option out there, and better than either Colledge or Lang.

Cliffy gets hurt again, we are fucked. That doesn't sit well with me. AT ALL.

rbaloha1
10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Great move. Lang can concentrate on being a back-up lt.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Yes. I do. Levi has plenty of bank. Levi is from AZ and discussed here often...and in relation to the Cards. Levi is a smart guy, and financially savvy. Ty knows more about him than you...including the fact that Levi was on academic scholly when he walked on the ASU football team.

Levi is going to wait for a situation that enables him to be a starter.

Yeah, he needs the money. He is a first round pick who signed a 30 mill extension...so he got at least half of that.

Levi can easily wait till next year if he so desires. He wants to be paid like a starter..so your dreams of getting him as a backup on the cheap are wrong.

There is a reason he didn't sign with the Cards...a team he has long expressed an interest in playing for.

mmmdk
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Great move. Lang can concentrate on being a back-up lt.

This could really help the OL - wait & see game now.

Welcome back Tauch :D

bobblehead
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM

If he is healthy and recovered his old form sign him and make him the starter. Cliffy is on the way downhill. Its the right business move and TT prides himself on making the right choices. Would it upset cliffy...probably, but what better message than produce or we will replace you. The alternative would be, we won't hurt your feelings even if it hurts the team.

bobblehead
10-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Yes. I do. Levi has plenty of bank. Levi is from AZ and discussed here often...and in relation to the Cards. Levi is a smart guy, and financially savvy. Ty knows more about him than you...including the fact that Levi was on academic scholly when he walked on the ASU football team.

Yeah, he needs the money. He is a first round pick who signed a 30 mill extension...so he got at least half of that.

Levi can easily wait till next year if he so desires. He wants to be paid like a starter..so your dreams of getting him as a backup on the cheap are wrong.

There is a reason he didn't sign with the Cards...a team he has long expressed an interest in playing for.

Also, Levi isn't over the hill. He is 30 and sat out recently so his body is fresh. IF he is healthy he likely has a good 5 year contract in him still.

Clifton on the other hand is 33...likely has a year or two left, but is constantly injured. I don't do the physicals, but if Levi is all better he is a way better option RIGHT NOW than clifton who's play has noticeably dropped.

All conjecture, I don't know if Levi is back to his old self, but if that is the case the right move is to sign him and start him...Cliffy is an FA after this year from what I understand.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Also, Levi isn't over the hill. He is 30 and sat out recently so his body is fresh. IF he is healthy he likely has a good 5 year contract in him still.

Clifton on the other hand is 33...likely has a year or two left, but is constantly injured. I don't do the physicals, but if Levi is all better he is a way better option RIGHT NOW than clifton who's play has noticeably dropped.

All conjecture, I don't know if Levi is back to his old self, but if that is the case the right move is to sign him and start him...Cliffy is an FA after this year from what I understand.

1. Who said he was over the hill, not i.
2. Fresh. that is doubtfull. He has been injured a ton.
3. Jones is as injured as Cliffy.
4. Sign him and make him the starter. Ok. Don't think that is the right move.
A) You don't even know if he is better than cliffy.
B) Bad precedent of losing job because injured
C) Sign him to what? He is gonna want 5 mill or so...and multiple years. You wanna do that with a guy that has been injured a ton...and when we could sign a younger less injured guy in the offseason? Seems like an expensive risk just to get us in the playoffs this year. More bad scenarios than good.

bobblehead
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM

1. Who said he was over the hill, not i.
2. Fresh. that is doubtfull. He has been injured a ton.
3. Jones is as injured as Cliffy.
4. Sign him and make him the starter. Ok. Don't think that is the right move.
A) You don't even know if he is better than cliffy.
B) Bad precedent of losing job because injured
C) Sign him to what? He is gonna want 5 mill or so...and multiple years. You wanna do that with a guy that has been injured a ton...and when we could sign a younger less injured guy in the offseason? Seems like an expensive risk just to get us in the playoffs this year. More bad scenarios than good.

I said if (in caps) and I said I didn't know the answer to that.

Sorry if it looked like I meant you said he was over the hill...I meant to be in agreement with you.

Retailguy:

He's a crafty over the hill vet who knows every trick in the book and knows what to do when he sees something unusual. Quite honestly, I think he's got "something" left. Is it what Cliffy has got? clearly NO. But, Cliffy has been injured more than not, and is likely to be injured again soon.

Fritz
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Does "crafty" just mean he punches the other guy in the nuts when no one's looking?

Pugger
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Didn't Jones come to GB not long ago for a workout? I wonder what the coaches saw that didn't impress them that they'd pass and wait for Tauscher... :?:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Does "crafty" just mean he punches the other guy in the nuts when no one's looking?

Ty thought "crafty" meant white guy with a lack of talent. I guess NBA terminology doesn't work in the NFL.

packerbacker1234
10-12-2009, 01:54 PM
If I recall... Cliffy hasn't really missed hardly any games as a packer. Correct me if I am wrong. Yeah, he has a lot of surguries and stuff done in the offseason, but when it matters I seem to recall we could always rely on him... and he's still pretty damn good.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
If I recall... Cliffy hasn't really missed hardly any games as a packer. Correct me if I am wrong. Yeah, he has a lot of surguries and stuff done in the offseason, but when it matters I seem to recall we could always rely on him... and he's still pretty damn good.

100 percent on the money about games.

03-08....2 games missed.

don't know if he is pretty damn good...but, more than willing to give benefit of the doubt about it and time to see.

Guiness
10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
2 games over that stretch of time. Impressive, with the injuries he's had. No doubt he plays through pain.

Why do I get the feeling though that something is just plain going to fall off that guy one day?

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Clifton on the other hand is 33...likely has a year or two left, but is constantly injured.

All Offensive Linemen are injured. Always. They play hurt or are carried off. No such thing as a healthy lineman!! If I recall, he missed some time due to a dislocated hip, but played through pretty much everything else. And played well.

KYPack
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Clifton on the other hand is 33...likely has a year or two left, but is constantly injured.

All Offensive Linemen are injured. Always. They play hurt or are carried off. No such thing as a healthy lineman!! If I recall, he missed some time due to a dislocated hip, but played through pretty much everything else. And played well.

I don't think Cliffy ever really recovered from the hip injury from Sapp.

That's a sage statement MPF. I've had several friends that have played pro ball. The guys in the 'contact' positions (LB, DL, OL) are only healthy for one game. The first pre-season game. After that, it's a steady disintegration until the final game. That's why sometimes people don't play in games for little or no reason. It might not be any particular injury, everything just adds up sometimes and they just can't go.

Guiness
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't think Cliffy ever really recovered from the hip injury from Sapp.

That's a sage statement MPF. I've had several friends that have played pro ball. The guys in the 'contact' positions (LB, DL, OL) are only healthy for one game. The first pre-season game. After that, it's a steady disintegration until the final game. That's why sometimes people don't play in games for little or no reason. It might not be any particular injury, everything just adds up sometimes and they just can't go.

Agreed. Hockey is much the same, except, of course, every position is a 'contact' position.

I generally finished a season 20-25lbs lighter than I started...and I didn't really have it to give up. Didn't matter how much I ate. As the season progressed, I would slack a little in practice in an effort to preserve calories!

The steady weight loss through the season wears you down too, although NFL linemen don't seem as affected by that! Certainly it's a problem in College/Uni ball though.

Kiwon
10-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Here's hoping that Tauscher can help stabilize the O-line.

Seriously, A-Rod is going to be missing games soon if he keeps getting knocked around.

Yes, and we do need some slants and quick hitters. Try to let Driver and Jennings get those ran after the catch yards again.

bobblehead
10-14-2009, 12:40 AM

I understand, but the last 2 years (or year and 4 games) Cliffy has been missing games and performing less than stellar in the ones he plays.

Not many bigger cliffy fans around than I am. The guy is a warrior and came back from that hip injury to be one the top 5 pass protectors in the GAME for several years. But right here, right now the years have taken their toll. He wasn't the player he has been since '07. Even then he was slipping, but the quick hit plays and the run game in '07 made him look a bit better than he was. We need a future at LT, not a past. Love him, but its time to move on, just like it was with Henderson....one of my all time favorite packers.

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 06:02 AM
Problem is you need something to move on TO before you let him go the way of Henderson. You guys keep forgetting that you don't let someone go until you find someone else who can do it better.

retailguy
10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Problem is you need something to move on TO before you let him go the way of Henderson. You guys keep forgetting that you don't let someone go until you find someone else who can do it better.

And with a draft pick that takes about FOUR years.... that's my only gripe with plugging a hole with a draft pick. Can anyone here say that TJ Lang is ready? Don't we need somebody who is ready to play?

Fritz
10-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Ty thought "crafty" meant white guy with a lack of talent. I guess NBA terminology doesn't work in the NFL.

I looked it up, Ty. Daniel Webster says....

Crafty (adj). A white male athlete, lacking of talent, who compensates by punching his opponent in the scrotum when no one's looking.

hoosier
10-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Q: How do you know when a crafty player is too old and it's time to cut him?
A: When he punches his opponent in the knee cap.

Guiness
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM

That about sums it up right now. Clifton is still better at 'getting in the way' than anyone else who can play LT.

bigcoz75
10-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Just thought I'd throw this in here. Jamon Meredith will be the starting RT for the Bills this weekend.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Just thought I'd throw this in here. Jamon Meredith will be the starting RT for the Bills this weekend.

Another sign of the apocalypse.

bobblehead
10-14-2009, 03:42 PM
I might watch that game just to see if its possible to be worse than Babre has been.

esoxx
10-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Q: How do you know when a crafty player is too old and it's time to cut him?
A: When he punches his opponent in the knee cap.

No, that just shows good pad level.

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 07:36 PM

And with a draft pick that takes about FOUR years.... that's my only gripe with plugging a hole with a draft pick. Can anyone here say that TJ Lang is ready? Don't we need somebody who is ready to play?

I didn't say it had to be a draft pick, but Bobble's contention that we should just let Cliffy go at the end of this year is insane unless we have someone who can outplay him. Or at least keep up.

retailguy
10-14-2009, 08:48 PM

I didn't say it had to be a draft pick, but Bobble's contention that we should just let Cliffy go at the end of this year is insane unless we have someone who can outplay him. Or at least keep up.

Honestly, it would be INSANE to keep Cliffy next season. We need a stop gap until the new guys are ready. If Lang is the future, I'm fine with that, but, you don't develop an LT with a low draft pick in one season. (That's my opinion).

So, if you accept that we won't sign a "stop gap" then, yes, getting rid of Cliffy would be a mistake.

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't know whether we will get a stop gap or not, but we're sure as hell not playing lights out without him in there. I'm not saying he has to be here, but we need to find the better option FIRST, then worry about whether to keep Clifton. At that point the decision becomes much easier.

retailguy
10-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't know whether we will get a stop gap or not, but we're sure as hell not playing lights out without him in there. I'm not saying he has to be here, but we need to find the better option FIRST, then worry about whether to keep Clifton. At that point the decision becomes much easier.

that's not the way ted rolls, dear. LT's don't work for 8 bucks an hour, so we won't be interested in the "sub par" overpriced talent that'll be available, so it'll be Cliffy or Lang, UNLESS, we tank the rest of the year and have a high draft choice who might be able to step in. (God, I hope this last part DOES NOT happen)...