PDA

View Full Version : The Defense

The Shadow
10-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I would sure like to see Kamp moved back to DE. Yah,yah, I know he's light for a 3-4 DE, but he has always been excellent at leverage. He need to be in better position to bring heat.
Jenkins, Jolly, and Kamp should form main rotation at DE.
Raji could then alternate with Pickett to keep the middle stout.
Mathews and Chillar should be OLB's, with Poppinga spelling both.
Inside, Hawk & Barnett, with Bishop alternating.

I think the SS position is troubling. Any word on Bigby's status?

denverYooper
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I would sure like to see Kamp moved back to DE. Yah,yah, I know he's light for a 3-4 DE, but he has always been excellent at leverage. He need to be in better position to bring heat.

I think the SS position is troubling. Any word on Bigby's status?

Bigby didn't practice today:

#Packers practice update: Bigby, Jenkins only players not in pads. Poppinga absent, not sure why. Jolly limited. Clifton, Taucher in.

PackerTimer
10-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this either. But I don't think we will.

swede
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I would sure like to see Kamp moved back to DE. Yah,yah, I know he's light for a 3-4 DE, but he has always been excellent at leverage.

This is a bad situation for Kampy. He looks down at least 20 lbs from last year's playing weight. If he was light for a 4-3 DE what is he now?

He is now a 3-4 OLB, out of position for his natural strengths. His coaches and fans hoped that he could make the transition. So far the news is that he went from being a very good player to an average player. That, for those of you keeping score at home, is not good news.

For Kampy, the news gets worse. What team will want him as a 3-4 OLB? What team will want him as a DE in a 4-3 if he weighs 265? Should he gain weight? Cut weight? Plan on FA? Commit to our team?

Always the optimist, I hoped this move would work out for us. Not only is this not working out for us, I think we have seriously screwed up Kampy's future.

rbaloha1
10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
I would like to see more 4 man fronts with Kampy consistently rushing the passer.

wist43
10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Kampman has lost some weight to play LB... besides, they're not going to move him at this point. But I agree, they should have had Kamp bulk up a little and play DE. No matter how you slice it though, Kampman is playing out of position as a 3-4 anything. He's a 4-3 End, and strictly that.

All water under the bridge now though...

Moving forward, I think we need to see more 4 man fronts on passing downs, with Kampman's hand on the ground. Kampman, Raji, Jenkins, and ??? as down linemen, and bring another blitzer - Matthews/Jones off the edge, Bishop up the middle, etc...

Beyond that, Capers needs to get more creative on a consistent basis up front... lining up in a static 3-4 presnap look... that's not going to cut it.

If the defense could come up average the rest of the year, and the OL can get their problems figured out, the Packers could make a run at a playoff spot... but more of the same, will only land us a top 15 draft pick again.

Capers needs to realize he's got more 4-3 personnel than 3-4... and tailor his game plans accordingly.

wist43
10-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I would sure like to see Kamp moved back to DE. Yah,yah, I know he's light for a 3-4 DE, but he has always been excellent at leverage.

This is a bad situation for Kampy. He looks down at least 20 lbs from last year's playing weight. If he was light for a 4-3 DE what is he now?

He is now a 3-4 OLB, out of position for his natural strengths. His coaches and fans hoped that he could make the transition. So far the news is that he went from being a very good player to an average player. That, for those of you keeping score at home, is not good news.

For Kampy, the news gets worse. What team will want him as a 3-4 OLB? What team will want him as a DE in a 4-3 if he weighs 265? Should he gain weight? Cut weight? Plan on FA? Commit to our team?

Always the optimist, I hoped this move would work out for us. Not only is this not working out for us, I think we have seriously screwed up Kampy's future.

I don't think so... I think Kampman will land a decent contract as a 4-3 End next year. NFL personnel men know that he's playing out of position... he'll bulk back up to where he was, and get back to playing his natural position with another team.

mmmdk
10-12-2009, 12:36 PM
This is retarded.

Kampy in 4-3 or 3-4; Packers defense blew last season and blows this seasons.

Rams has scored 34 points in 5 games this season...17 came in one game vs Packers D.

Kool-aid preseason romance is over but there's nothing wrong in hope.

Dissecting Kampy & others on D is pointless. Killing time for sure!

pbmax
10-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Beyond that, Capers needs to get more creative on a consistent basis up front... lining up in a static 3-4 presnap look... that's not going to cut it.
One of these days I will understand exactly what you want other than success.

In passing downs (just shy of 50% so far) the Packers predominantly line up in a 2-4-5 alignment. When you eliminate the position abbreviations, looks exactly like a 4-2-5 nickel, the very defense you claim you want due to personnel. And Kampman is at end.

With standup ends, the QB has to guess which is coming, plus the option to bring another rusher from middle or corner/slot.

The defense has to give the coordinator a chance. We stopped the run well aganst the Vikes. But now we need to be able to bring pressure and not get gouged for big runs. Do that, and no one will be bleeting about alignments anymore.

I agree with you that the DC should not simply hold back and prepare for the worst case, thereby giving the offense the initiative. You must bring some pressure even if there is a chance of the runner escaping.

As for other points, Bigby not going is a bad sign. It was an early bye, but will he be right at anytime this season?

I was on the Chillar at OLB bandwagon early this offseason, but seeing him take on and be defeated by blocks inside, I do not think he could hold the edge on runs as OLB.*

* Several posters came to this conclusion WAY before I caught on. I am not claiming this as my insight.

Fritz
10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Sounds like, if TT is going to make a trade, it might need to be for a safety.

packer update suggests TT is floating Barnett and Hawk for trade offers but there's no interest.

bobblehead
10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds like, if TT is going to make a trade, it might need to be for a safety.

packer update suggests TT is floating Barnett and Hawk for trade offers but there's no interest.

why would there be, both are playing pretty bad from what I can see...although I will say the LB's were not a problem at all against minnesota for the first time....if the safety is really the root of all evil right now I can't wait to get bigby back.

Fritz
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not saying there would be a lot. I'm just reporting what they're reporting.

Bigby didn't practice today.

That's not good.

Hope Martin is learning, and pronto.

Pugger
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't know if Hawk has been as horrid as some suggest but his contract might have more to do with the lack of interest than anything else. I don't know where I read it (it could've been here but I can't recall) where someone posted stats on Kampy compared to other OLBs and his numbers for tackles, sacks and passes defended were better than average. He's only played this position in the pros for 4 games. It may be a tad early to call it a mistake...

Fritz
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
You and your "it's only been four games."

You act like it's a sixteen game season or something.

packerbacker1234
10-12-2009, 01:47 PM
He's out of here as soon as he can get out. He'll pack 20 to 30 pounds back on during the offseason,a nd go back to being a 4-3 DE and a pass rusher. Unfortunately, with the switch to a 3-4, it pretty much eliminated our best Defensive player on the line.

Oh well. Win some, lose some. Lets hope the 3-4 works out long term.

The Shadow
10-12-2009, 04:24 PM
If the defense starts coming together, Kamp might well still adapt successfully.
I think the safety communication (or lack thereof) is really holding things back.

pbmax
10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
2600 (Bigby!) practiced today, guess it was the full practice as no limitation is mentioned.

Jenkins and Pickett rehabbed unknown injuries. Poppinga missed practice with no reported injury. Guess is the flu.

pbmax
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Official Word:
S Atari Bigby (knee, full participation),
LT Chad Clifton (ankle, limited),
LG Daryn Colledge (knee, full),
FB Korey Hall (calf, out),
RB Brandon Jackson (ankle, full),
DL Cullen Jenkins (ankle, limited),
NT Ryan Pickett (hip, limited),
LB Brady Poppinga (illness, did not participate),
T Mark Tauscher (knee, limited),
OLB Jeremy Thompson (knee, limited),
RB DeShawn Wynn (knee, did not participate)

Not a good sign about Jenkins and Pickett. Raji, though, would seem to be a full go from now on.

Brandon494
10-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Why is everyone freaking out? Remeber not one player on our defense has experience in the 3-4 defense. We have completely changed defensive schemes, its going to take some time for players to get comfortable in it. Don't let the preseason fool you when we were going all out on defensive against teams running a vanilla style offense. If we are still strugging on defense like we are now towards the end of the season then I'll be worried.

Freak Out
10-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Official Word:

Not a good sign about Jenkins and Pickett. Raji, though, would seem to be a full go from now on.

Sure would be nice to get Jackson healthy and on the field again.

Brandon494
10-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Official Word:

If there was any worry about Jenkins and Pickett they would have held them out completely, prob just taking it easy just in case.

wist43
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM

In passing downs (just shy of 50% so far) the Packers predominantly line up in a 2-4-5 alignment. When you eliminate the position abbreviations, looks exactly like a 4-2-5 nickel, the very defense you claim you want due to personnel. And Kampman is at end.

With standup ends, the QB has to guess which is coming, plus the option to bring another rusher from middle or corner/slot.

The defense has to give the coordinator a chance. We stopped the run well aganst the Vikes. But now we need to be able to bring pressure and not get gouged for big runs. Do that, and no one will be bleeting about alignments anymore.

I agree with you that the DC should not simply hold back and prepare for the worst case, thereby giving the offense the initiative. You must bring some pressure even if there is a chance of the runner escaping.

As for other points, Bigby not going is a bad sign. It was an early bye, but will he be right at anytime this season?

I was on the Chillar at OLB bandwagon early this offseason, but seeing him take on and be defeated by blocks inside, I do not think he could hold the edge on runs as OLB.*

* Several posters came to this conclusion WAY before I caught on. I am not claiming this as my insight.

I wanted the switch to the 3-4, and have wanted it for years... however, now that they've made the switch, it is unrealistic to think they can just shift gears seamlessly.

They had an entire defensive roster made up of 4-3 players... and average, to below average ones at that. It's delusional to think below average 4-3 players will excel in a 3-4. As I said, it's going to take time to transition.

That said, in the short term... I want to see Capers use more 4-2 pass rush sets... based mainly on the strengths of the personnel he has at his disposal. Raji would be a beast at DT in a 4 man rush, and that is where Kampman can make an impact.

As it is... Kamp is wasted, and none of the other LB's present a pass rush threat. Matthews and Jones can in time I think, but as things stand now, we're generating no pressure. No defense can be successful without generating pressure.

In the longer term... Kamp is gone next year, is Barnett up??? if he is, he's gone too... i.e. transition to 3-4 players. Gonna take time. That's why I wanted to switch 4 years ago... by now, we'd have a 3-4 roster in place, and we'd be looking to make a run.

sharpe1027
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
I wanted the switch to the 3-4, and have wanted it for years... however, now that they've made the switch, it is unrealistic to think they can just shift gears seamlessly.

They had an entire defensive roster made up of 4-3 players... and average, to below average ones at that. It's delusional to think below average 4-3 players will excel in a 3-4. As I said, it's going to take time to transition.

That said, in the short term... I want to see Capers use more 4-2 pass rush sets... based mainly on the strengths of the personnel he has at his disposal. Raji would be a beast at DT in a 4 man rush, and that is where Kampman can make an impact.

As it is... Kamp is wasted, and none of the other LB's present a pass rush threat. Matthews and Jones can in time I think, but as things stand now, we're generating no pressure. No defense can be successful without generating pressure.

In the longer term... Kamp is gone next year, is Barnett up??? if he is, he's gone too... i.e. transition to 3-4 players. Gonna take time. That's why I wanted to switch 4 years ago... by now, we'd have a 3-4 roster in place, and we'd be looking to make a run.
I don't buy this 4-3 personnel vs. 3-4 personnel. Sometimes football players are just football players and not some widget designed for on scheme or another.

Al Harris - bump-and run only guy that is too old and will fall flat on his face in a 3-4 zone scheme. I don't think so.

Pickett - Not able to play NT...yet he has been his job well.

The most common scapegoat or complaint is Kampman:

Kampman - Had 10 sacks total last year, four of the them coming in the first 3 games meaning the remainder of the season he had only 6 sacks spread out over 13 games. He has one this year in four games, which isn't that much different than most of last year. Not to mention he has 21 tackles already, which means he is on pace to annihilate his tackle total from last year.

You argument about no pressure because of the 3-4 doesn't convince me because it isn't any different than last year, same guys...same problem. IMHO, the problem isn't "4-3" guys in a "3-4" scheme.

ThunderDan
10-15-2009, 09:35 AM

People would have gotten mad at TT for that. Why would TT pull apart the defense and rebuild while Favre should get one for run at the SuperBowl? Just sign a few FA and patch the 4-3 for a few more years.

I think TT has wanted to get to a 3-4 for years but couldn't becasue of BF. After Bert leaves it's hard to retread your D after a 13-3 year. Last years 6-10 finally gave TT the excuse to rip the D apart.

Like you Wist, I think we should have switched to the 3-4 years ago.

pbmax
10-15-2009, 10:32 AM

In the 2-4-5, who is lining up as the second tackle? Jenkins and who? I think it has been Jolly, who has been a beast.

But the reason Raji isn't there full time probably has more to do with his injury than Jolly or scheme.

And Kampman is rushing at end from a 2 point stance. I think the lack of sacks has to do more with opportunities to rush than technique from a 2 point stance.

I might consider running a 3-3-5 and keep Kampman at end.

Waldo
10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Those 10 times a game that Kamp drops, vs. the 25 he rushes, are just killing his sack totals. :lol:

Kamp lost it last year. Everything from scheme, to guys around him, "double teams", etc... has been blamed for his lack of sacks.

It is time to blame Kamp. Look at his sack totals. 0.5, 2.0, 4.5, 6.5, 15.5. 12.0, 9.5, 1.0

He had 13.5 in his first 48 starts, had a great year, a very good year, and a good year. He was better earlier than later last year. It took him 4 years of work before he found his mojo, and since he found it, his #'s have been in steady decline.

Be honest, nobody seriously considered Kamp an elite pass rusher when we signed him to his last contract. Guys that find it late don't tend to keep it very long. The guys that can do it when they first step off the bus are the ones that tend to last forever.

Kamp will be 30 shortly. As an exercise to prove a point, go take a look at everybody that had 10 sacks last year. Write down all their ages. Then take a look at the year by year production of all the guys over 30. With the knowledge that you have found, would you even consider giving a contract to a 30+ pass rusher, scheme change or not.

wist43
10-15-2009, 12:14 PM

People would have gotten mad at TT for that. Why would TT pull apart the defense and rebuild while Favre should get one for run at the SuperBowl? Just sign a few FA and patch the 4-3 for a few more years.

I think TT has wanted to get to a 3-4 for years but couldn't becasue of BF. After Bert leaves it's hard to retread your D after a 13-3 year. Last years 6-10 finally gave TT the excuse to rip the D apart.

Like you Wist, I think we should have switched to the 3-4 years ago.

He didn't do that either though - he didn't reload for Favre... he booted Wahle, Rivera, Walker, etc... I agreed with Rivera, but from the moment he came on board, he went to his youth movement, and has been on it ever since.

TT is nothing if not "win tomorrow"... as I said back when TT first arrived, "when does it all come together"??? And now that he has switched to a 3-4, we can expect 2-3 years worth of building on that side of the ball... that puts us into year, what??? 7??? of the TT regime.

As I said, I think the change was needed... but it definitely is going to take some time to get the right personnel for the scheme. We agree... the change should have come 5 years ago.

wist43
10-15-2009, 12:20 PM

I don't buy this 4-3 personnel vs. 3-4 personnel. Sometimes football players are just football players and not some widget designed for on scheme or another.

Al Harris - bump-and run only guy that is too old and will fall flat on his face in a 3-4 zone scheme. I don't think so.

Pickett - Not able to play NT...yet he has been his job well.

The most common scapegoat or complaint is Kampman:

Kampman - Had 10 sacks total last year, four of the them coming in the first 3 games meaning the remainder of the season he had only 6 sacks spread out over 13 games. He has one this year in four games, which isn't that much different than most of last year. Not to mention he has 21 tackles already, which means he is on pace to annihilate his tackle total from last year.

You argument about no pressure because of the 3-4 doesn't convince me because it isn't any different than last year, same guys...same problem. IMHO, the problem isn't "4-3" guys in a "3-4" scheme.

TT himself said exactly what I'm saying... body type, 3-4 personnel, will take a couple of years to transition, etc... yes, players fit different schemes.

Kampman obviously is not a 3-4 End, or a 3-4 LB... hell of a 4-3 DE though. I think that's obvious; Barnett??? Average 4-3, Tampa 2 LB... awful 3-4 LB; Hawk??? Average at everything.

We need better players... until we get them, Capers has to find a way to make lemonade out of lemons.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-15-2009, 01:04 PM
As opposed to lemonade out of oranges?

pbmax
10-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Those 10 times a game that Kamp drops, vs. the 25 he rushes, are just killing his sack totals. :lol:

Kamp lost it last year. Everything from scheme, to guys around him, "double teams", etc... has been blamed for his lack of sacks.

It is time to blame Kamp. Look at his sack totals. 0.5, 2.0, 4.5, 6.5, 15.5. 12.0, 9.5, 1.0

He had 13.5 in his first 48 starts, had a great year, a very good year, and a good year. He was better earlier than later last year. It took him 4 years of work before he found his mojo, and since he found it, his #'s have been in steady decline.

Be honest, nobody seriously considered Kamp an elite pass rusher when we signed him to his last contract. Guys that find it late don't tend to keep it very long. The guys that can do it when they first step off the bus are the ones that tend to last forever.

Kamp will be 30 shortly. As an exercise to prove a point, go take a look at everybody that had 10 sacks last year. Write down all their ages. Then take a look at the year by year production of all the guys over 30. With the knowledge that you have found, would you even consider giving a contract to a 30+ pass rusher, scheme change or not.
I agree with you that he isn't an elite pass rusher. But look at your number of snaps again. If you cut his opportunity to rush by 28%, you numbers will go down, I don't care who you are.

The question the D coaches must ask is if increasing Kampman's opportunities will benefit the team more than staying true to the scheme (hard to read the fourth or fifth rusher) and costing someone else chances to rush the QB.

Chillar has been the other guy to get home. And Matthews shows promise, but he hasn't gotten home often either. Kampman might offer more, but is it enough to alter the scheme?

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 02:36 AM

The Shadow knows...Snake agrees. Too bad the hierarchy of contracts won't allow that. Barnett and AJ make too much money. Bishop won't get a chance. Kamps is a by-product of the scheme...too bad for him. He's just a guy regardless at his 255 weight. Ain't like he's 280 anymore at DE. He couldn't cut it at DE if they put him there anyway. Look how lean he is now?

Trust Snake...I dream of a beefy 280 lb. Kampy doing Jared Allen-esque shit at DE too...but ain't gonna happen in 2009 at his lean ass self no matter what we want.