PDA

View Full Version : Vikes just signed Dwight Smith

Tony Oday
07-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Damn can they spend any more money????

BallHawk
07-25-2006, 05:58 PM
He's not the player he used to be. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Rastak
07-25-2006, 06:22 PM
He's not the player he used to be. I won't lose any sleep over it.

He's only 27 and it adds depth. He can play corner also. As an opposing fan I wouldn't lose sleep over it either but it certainly doesn;t hurt their secondary.

Tony Oday
07-25-2006, 06:23 PM
I dont think its that big of deal because its the vikings they have a glut of talent in their secondary and no LBs except grenway.

Rastak
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
I dont think its that big of deal because its the vikings they have a glut of talent in their secondary and no LBs except grenway.

Maybe they'll play a 4-1-6?

:lol:

BallHawk
07-25-2006, 06:33 PM
He's only 27 and it adds depth. He can play corner also. As an opposing fan I wouldn't lose sleep over it either but it certainly doesn;t hurt their secondary.

Correct, it certainly doesn't hurt.

PlantPage55
07-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Anybody else just absolutely sick over seeing the Vikings, Eagles, and Redskins names attatched to every FA that comes off the wire?!?!?!

Oscar
07-25-2006, 06:46 PM
It's Hell Buyin A Super Bowl... :lol:

Rastak
07-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Anybody else just absolutely sick over seeing the Vikings, Eagles, and Redskins names attatched to every FA that comes off the wire?!?!?!

Actually Sherman used to bring just about everyone that ever got cut for a visit, ecspecially QB's.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Certainly doesn't hurt the Vikings, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it. He played better than Tank Williams last year, so he's probably an upgrade there, but I don't think he's a real difference maker.

CyclonePackFan
07-25-2006, 07:42 PM

AKA the "Dime"

If you lose a DL you could even just play the "Quarter" - 3-1-7

Hell, nobody runs the damn ball anymore anyways...

Rastak
07-25-2006, 07:49 PM

AKA the "Dime"

DUH....of course, the dime. Actually I don't know what they'll do with Willie Offord now. He'll be relegated to special teams I guess.

CyclonePackFan
07-25-2006, 07:51 PM

AKA the "Dime"

DUH....of course, the dime. Actually I don't know what they'll do with Willie Offord now. He'll be relegated to special teams I guess.

I actually think this is a pretty good pickup. If there's one thing it's nearly impossible to have too many of, it's DB's

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Apparently, he was going to be a backup for Tampa Bay. Is he even guaranteed a starting gig over Williams at this point? I guess it depends on the financial investment made to him.

Rastak
07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Apparently, he was going to be a backup for Tampa Bay. Is he even guaranteed a starting gig over Williams at this point? I guess it depends on the financial investment made to him.

Actually early word is Smith will start at FS and Sharper will move to SS.
3 year 6 mil with no signing bonus is what I hear. Not a huge investment.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Smith actually got a lower grade on ESPN's Scouts, Inc. than Tank Williams. They actually sound quite similar. Range isn't great, but they are decent in support.

Dwight Smith
Grade: 66

Comment:
Has impressive strength and has the ability to push receivers around and take them out of their routes. He's aggressive, physical and confident. Has shown the ability to make plays from sideline-to-sideline and generally gets a good read on the ball. Has just adequate range but is generally in position to make the play due to excellent read-and-react skills. However, Smith has had some trouble in space at times. He needs to work on his technique particularly when defending the deep half. Will take some false steps and has a tendency to cross his feet over. Will be overaggressive at times, which often prohibits him from adjusting to the ball.

Patler
07-25-2006, 08:36 PM

"...Sharper will move to SS." ?????????
:?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock:

Rastak
07-25-2006, 08:44 PM

"...Sharper will move to SS." ?????????
:?: :shock: :?: :shock: :?: :shock:

Yea, I'm a little surprised. Actually, I'll reserve judgement until I hear the coaching staff say that's the plan instead of a reporter. But I think they do want both of them on the field.

MadtownPacker
07-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Smith actually got a lower grade on ESPN's Scouts, Inc. than Tank Williams. They actually sound quite similar. Range isn't great, but they are decent in support.
Wait a minute Wallbanger, on the "DSmith got cut" thread you said he was pretty good. Now that he has turned purple you arent saying that. I like the viking hatred but I said he was garbage before they signed him so Rastak wont think Im just being a lavendar basher. Which I am of course. :mrgreen:

Rastak
07-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Wait a minute Wallbanger, on the "DSmith got cut" thread you said he was pretty good. Now that he has turned purple you arent saying that. I like the viking hatred but I said he was garbage before they signed him so Rastak wont think Im just being a lavendar basher. Which I am of course. :mrgreen:

Harvey is an adaptable fellow..he finds ways to rationalize almost anything given a few hours to think about it!

If D Smith were the cats meow the Saints wouldn't have cut him. He's a good signing but nothing earth shattering. The Vikings will have some serious depth in their secondary at any rate...should the injuries hit like last year.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Wait a minute Wallbanger, on the "DSmith got cut" thread you said he was pretty good. Now that he has turned purple you arent saying that. I like the viking hatred but I said he was garbage before they signed him so Rastak wont think Im just being a lavendar basher. Which I am of course.

I never said he was garbage here, and I never said he was great there. Somebody on the other thread posted that he sucked, and I pointed out that most scouts thought he was pretty decent last year. (That was knowing the Vikings would possibly get him. I called it.) On this thread, people are lamenting that the Vikings got him. I'm just pointing out that he's not THAT good. I'm just providing a little levity. Personally, based on last year I think he's on the level of Marquand Manuel, and I think he's slightly better than Tank Williams.

I don't see ANY hypocrisy at all.

Bretsky
07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
I applaud the Vikings for their effort and Smith can only help; you never have enough good secondary people. I'd take him in a second over guys like Horton. Plus, if you don't use the money, you lose it.......so why not use it ?

OS PA
07-25-2006, 09:55 PM
I applaud the Vikings for their effort and Smith can only help; you never have enough good secondary people. I'd take him in a second over guys like Horton. Plus, if you don't use the money, you lose it.......so why not use it ?

Don't be wronged Bretsky, we will use our money. We'll extend Harris and give him a raise, and pick up a waivered RB.

A man can dream eh?

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Outside of being a complete Badger homer, Bretsky is a closet Viking fan. He makes me want to puke. With the support he gives their team, you'd think they were a dynasty or something. All those Wisconsin ties haven't helped them much.
:D

Bretsky
07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Harv,

You seem to go the opposite route and your hate for the Vikings makes nearly every move they make slanted on the bad side. Truth be told, I'm in the middle on the Vikings; I'm not as optomistc as Rastak, but not nearly as negative as you.

And you might be right in that my Badger bias weighs in on that; although I'd still argue ridiculing Childress (and I know it was your buddies so I don't mean to offend) for what he did at the UW is ludicrous.

But again, I applaud them for trying, and it still sickens me that TT sits on that money while players that could've helped up immensely get plucked off the market.

Bretsky
07-25-2006, 10:09 PM

Don't be wronged Bretsky, we will use our money. We'll extend Harris and give him a raise, and pick up a waivered RB.

A man can dream eh?

Yes, we can; at least TT has some money to grab any cuts he's interested in. Like you said, we can dream.

HarveyWallbangers
07-25-2006, 10:17 PM
I ain't that negative. I just hear the same hype every year from Viking fans, and they've never really done shit. Live in Minnesota for an extended period. Happened this weekend. It always happens when Viking fans think they have a better team than the Packers. I don't hear shit about them when it's the opposite. Went out to a bachelor party this weekend, and the first thing I hear from these turds is how much the Packers are going to suck. I just had to inform them that the Vikings have a good chance at sucking just as bad.

I try to stay pretty even-keeled about every team. I'm not going to say Dwight Smith sucks because the Vikings are likely going to sign him, but I also ain't going to make the signing out to be that big. Could help. Could cause some problems in the locker room. (Tank Williams probably can relate to Mark Roman about now.) In the grand scheme of things, it will probably be relatively unimportant.

I'm far from negative about every move they make. I've pointed out that I like Chester Taylor. I thought Sharper and Longwell were good signings for them. I always said I liked Burleson and Culpepper when they were there. You make every move they make (especially when it involves a former Badger) out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Bretsky
07-25-2006, 10:19 PM
I'd have a very hard time living in Minnesota and would turn into an Anti Viking very very fast.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 10:25 PM

Harvey is an adaptable fellow..he finds ways to rationalize almost anything given a few hours to think about it!

If D Smith were the cats meow the Saints wouldn't have cut him. He's a good signing but nothing earth shattering. The Vikings will have some serious depth in their secondary at any rate...should the injuries hit like last year.

To get a player of his ability, at this stage of the off season isn't too shabby.

Real nice pick-up. Very decisive move also, as he had a job wrapped in Tampa Bay, the way it read in the press.

woodbuck27
07-25-2006, 10:34 PM
A source on the money end of the Dwight Smith signing:

D. Smith will earn in Minnesota, the same amounts due under three of the four remaining years of his Saints contract, which called for a $1.2 million base salary in 2006, a $1.6 million base salary, a $100,000 workout bonuses, and a $500,000 workout bonus in 2007, and a $2.5 million base salary, a $100,000 workout bonus, and a $500,000 workout bonus in 2008.

The only difference is that Smith will get $615,000 of his 2006 pay in the form of a roster bonus due in July 28, and the remaining $585,00 will be his base salary for 2006.

Guiness
07-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Score one for the NFL's August Paper Champions.

:lol: :lol:

Rastak
07-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Score one for the NFL's August Paper Champions.

:lol: :lol:

This years champions on paper are the Bears, nobody is taking Minnesota to win the north.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 08:11 AM
I'd have a very hard time living in Minnesota and would turn into an Anti Viking very very fast.

B.

That's because you are REAL.

Your not, just a fan. You understand fully the desire and passion of the victory and the agony of defeat. You've experienced both sides of the sheet.

Today your more in tune with OUR situation, struggle and status as a franchise. A franchise in a re-building phase that will suffer through another hard blow. Packer fans will soon feel the goodbye's to two more Great Packers in Brett Favre and Ahman Green. Yet, you B. hold your head up, like any decent Packer fan keep your chin in. Do your part to blend emotion and thoughts into reality - to try - to establish karma and truth for OUR teams status in the NFL.

To be a Packer fan means - to have proper pride and to sustain dignity. Dam it's almost akin to a great religious experience. At least I feel that way.

We felt the long wait, as far too much. Personally, I am better for that as a person and consequently as a Packer fan. In that miserable 25 years of waiting. Those of us that experienced it, were humbled. We grew more as NFL fans and in appreciation for what OUR team did that was enough for us to hold on for another then another season. . . We waited.We waited without the support of a Packer Haven like PACKERRATS.

B. Your like all of us Packer fans - ALWAYS PACKER.

We are cut from a certain cloth, bound in Packer Tradition and proper esteem and manners, when we address fans of other teams. Alot of that is derived from enjoying much success - VICTORY - but it's much much more.

One of the most successful and proud franchises in all of PRO Sports. Founded in one thing.

REALITY.

Alot of us on this Forum remember too well, the decade and a half of waiting - waiting (still waiting). Oh that miserable long wait from the Lombardi Packers till the WOLF - Holmgren - Favre (Reggie White) Era. ALL those Packers - those Packer teams.

We don't want younger Packer fans to have to endure that pain. Similiar to my parents not wanting me to experience another depression era.

So you B. and many others here, 'weigh in', with what is OUR individual Packer souls. As individuals - we see it from within ourselves. Sometimes that leads to disagreement over certain moves or issues and that is a good thing.

DAM I like Tony Oday suggested to me yesterday, would so much like to drink " the Packer Cool-Aid ". I slept on Tony's suggestion last night, but then the conservative, the realist, the moderate in me - seized and again sealed my Packer fan soul - directed me to TRUTH.

Yet, I am not afraid. I am here with my Packer fan brothers and sisters. I'm comforted in that. Simply trying my best, like you Bretsky and many other's here. To be heads up - as a Packer fan enjoy all that's here on this inspiring Forum to assist - to just simply HELP make some positive difference regarding the rest.

One last thing.

Why in Hell didn't T2 go all the way - down that muddy river - and bring T.O. to the Green and Gold?

Maybe it has something to do with a fella, not very happy in Oakland?

If not that - it has to be - something more.

This Packer fan, will not sit back ever - drink the cool-aid until it's time.

The NFL demands certain respects of conformity, and I'll DAM well do my part, my humble BEST to inform all of you - if I disagree with the way OUR Management is dealing with OUR TEAM.

Jeeee I seem tough here. I'm not.

That is my solemn promise and dedication as a Packer fan.

Bretsky. I'm so glad to share this forum with realists but not hard ass's.

Intelligent and inspiring and sharing Packer fans - like YOU PACKER FAN.

Always to learn - to experience fully.

mngolf19
07-27-2006, 02:17 PM

Exactly Bretsky, and he knows the Tampa 2 so he can help the others with picking up the nuances.