PDA

View Full Version : Picks Ted Wishes He Had Back

Fritz
10-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Okay, here's the deal for this thread:

It's NOT about players who have gotten injured and are therefore not panning out (no Pat Lee, please).

And those who have followed the Justin Harrell saga understand that his back injury is not from college and not related to his senior year injury.

Thus - the ideas is not to list players who Thompson wishes he hadn't taken cuz they've gotten hurt. This is about players who've been picked and have perhaps been picked in the upper half or so of the draft ad have not panned out.

If you're good and not lazy like me, post the player you think TT might have or ought to have taken instead - and no "trade up" stuff; you don't know if it could've happened.

So, for me, Brian Brohm comes to mind. Bet Ted wishes he had that second rounder back. But I don't know and haven't looked up if there was a safety or left tackle available after that that he wishes he'd taken now.

Cory Rodgers, that fourth pick washout who couldn't hang onto a football but could hang onto a gun. He's one TT probably would like back.

Maybe Pat Lee - not sure. Even if he weren't hurt, is he the "wrong" kind of guy to play corner now? Or did he just not show any skill when he was in camp and then last year?

Aaron Rouse, probably, too. Made some plays his rookie year, then got worse and worse.

And...what about AJ Hawk? Hmm...

Deputy Nutz
10-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Crap I want to get in on this and be really informative but I actually have to go to a job site and do some real work, which sucks.

Nobody post here until I get back.

LP
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Crap I want to get in on this and be really informative but I actually have to go to a job site and do some real work, which sucks.

Nobody post here until I get back.

Damn. And I had all the answers too.

Bossman641
10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
This one is a bit unfair, but 2005 draft Murphy was selected at 58. There were a few players selected after him that are pretty good - Vincent Jackson at 61, Gore at 65, Tuck at 74. Same draft Packers took Underwood at 115, while Kerry Rhodes went at 123. Poppinga at 125 when Sproles went at 130.

I'll look for some more later.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I think you pretty much listed them all. I stayed away from 6th & 7th rounds because they're such a long shot:

Jamon Meredith

Brian Brohm

Justin Harrell
Aaron Rouse

AJ Hawk
Abdul Hodge
Cory Rodgers
Will Blackmon
Ingle Martin

Terrence Murphy
Marviel Underwood
Junius Coston
Mike Hawkins

Bossman641
10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
To answer Fritz's question, the Packers took Brohm at 56. The next tackle was John Greco (??) to the Rams at 65. After that, Chad Rinehart to the Redskins at 96.

hoosier
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Of the 2nd round and early 3rd round picks after Brohm the only ones who have really contributed anything so far are Martellus Bennett and Kevin Smith. I can't say I lose any sleep over TT not picking them.

Cory Rodgers, in hindsight, seems like a more costly mistake. The fourth rounders picked immediately after him include Jahri Evans, Leon Washington, Brandon Marshall, Jason Avant, Barry Cofied, Elvis Dumervil and Willie Colon.

red
10-13-2009, 12:48 PM
i think harrell is fair game

he's always been injured. he was a giant injury risk when he was taken. if its not his back it was his arm, when it wasn't his arm it was his legs.

TT knew Jh couldn't stay healthy in college, and yet he still took him. and guess what, he's hardly played because he's always hurt

with that said, it really doesn't look like any of the guys taken behind him have panned out either. some good, but lots of flops

so that softens the blow a bit

red
10-13-2009, 01:05 PM
daryn colledge 47th overall pick 2006 draft

the 50th pick?

2 time pro bowler at left tackle named marcus mcneill

that would have been nice

Cheesehead Craig
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Good topic Fritz.

Funny you want no mention of Pat Lee, then mention him. :lol:

Can't include Murphy on the list guys, he got hurt after being taken so is ineligible per the rules.

I thought Colledge was taken too high, T Marcus McNeil would have been a better pick that was taken 4 players later. We could have taken Colledge in the 3rd round instead of Hodge.

Justin Harrell. Don't ask me who would have been better as I was a Meachum fan. :oops: So I'll bow out of that one.
Rouse. Definately. Tanard Jackson would have been a solid pick here instead.

Brohm. DE Kendall Langford would have been pretty solid here instead of taking Jeremy Thompson several rounds later.

Those are the ones that just jump out.

sheepshead
10-13-2009, 01:16 PM
This is good, how about your pick instead or TT's (a few have been done)-it'll take some googling action.

bobblehead
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
OK, I'll preface this by saying I'm wrong more than right regarding college talent and the draft, so I'm tooting my horn only in regards to this thread and the 1 time in the last 10 years I was right:

We had the 5 pick in a weak draft and I really didn't like AJ Hawk (or any LB at 5 overall). I said at the time if Ferguson was off the board (and we knew mario was by this time) then TT should trade down, pick up a 2nd or so and draft Cromartie (he was hurt his senior year, but a stud talent). I consider AJ Smith one of the best talent guys in the game (he just can't choose a head coach) and he snagged him later in that draft.

I think TT would go back and trade down if he could do it again.

Freak Out
10-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I think you pretty much listed them all. I stayed away from 6th & 7th rounds because they're such a long shot:

Jamon Meredith

Brian Brohm

Justin Harrell
Aaron Rouse

AJ Hawk
Abdul Hodge
Cory Rodgers
Will Blackmon
Ingle Martin

Terrence Murphy
Marviel Underwood
Junius Coston
Mike Hawkins

That's painful.

MichiganPackerFan
10-13-2009, 01:39 PM

Jamon Meredith

Brian Brohm

Justin Harrell
Aaron Rouse

AJ Hawk
Abdul Hodge
Cory Rodgers
Will Blackmon
Ingle Martin

Terrence Murphy
Marviel Underwood
Junius Coston
Mike Hawkins

That's painful.

I re-read Fritz criteria and Im guessing my list doesn't quite fit it. I guess the first time I read it I was looking more closely for the punchline rather than what was being looked for. It's a pretty specific list which really leads to only one or two players that have underachieved: Hawk & Brohm. I think my main disappointment from Hawk is the lack of big plays. He's around the ball and makes tackle after tackle. Just doesn't force turnover. Underwhelming performance compared to high expectations. Kind of like Fritz' post without a punchline. You let me down!!! :lol:

Guiness
10-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Good topic Fritz.

Brohm. DE Kendall Langford would have been pretty solid here instead of taking Jeremy Thompson several rounds later.

Jeremy Thompson was the guy I wanted to bring up. I hope he comes around this year, but it's not looking good. I don't think he's seen the field?
I hope this isn't a 'looks like Tarzan...' guy.

Other than that...Corey Rodgers does jump out. Underwood. Maybe Wynn, but as a 7th rounder, I think it was a good flyer. There's other 6th and 7th rounders that haven't stuck around nearly as long, but sometimes I think he's just taking up space that would be better used with a body that might turn into something.

Can we kick Ahmad Carrol around just for fun?

sharpe1027
10-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Good topic Fritz.

Jeremy Thompson was the guy I wanted to bring up. I hope he comes around this year, but it's not looking good. I don't think he's seen the field?
I hope this isn't a 'looks like Tarzan...' guy.

Other than that...Corey Rodgers does jump out. Underwood. Maybe Wynn, but as a 7th rounder, I think it was a good flyer. There's other 6th and 7th rounders that haven't stuck around nearly as long, but sometimes I think he's just taking up space that would be better used with a body that might turn into something.

Can we kick Ahmad Carrol around just for fun?

A big "hell yeah" on J. Thompson, Torrance Marshall II? Not sure who else they could have got, but they traded up so they gave up multiple picks for him.

As for Wynn, IMO, the fault is not so much the drafting as the choice to hang on to him/not find someone else...

Fritz
10-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Good topic Fritz.

Funny you want no mention of Pat Lee, then mention him. :lol:

Can't include Murphy on the list guys, he got hurt after being taken so is ineligible per the rules.

I thought Colledge was taken too high, T Marcus McNeil would have been a better pick that was taken 4 players later. We could have taken Colledge in the 3rd round instead of Hodge.

Justin Harrell. Don't ask me who would have been better as I was a Meachum fan. :oops: So I'll bow out of that one.
Rouse. Definately. Tanard Jackson would have been a solid pick here instead.

I just wanted to stay away from naming guys who have gotten hurt and thus not panned out.

But Pat Lee - even had he not gotten hurt - might be a guy who wasn't panning out. I know he was as raw as a turnip last year, and I wonder if there had been any indication that he hadn't developed this year (before he got hurt).

Thanks for correcting people on Murphy. Before he got hurt he seemed to be doing damn well for a rookie wide receiver - better than Jordy Nelson or James Jones or even Greg Jennings did very early on in their careers.

And thanks for people mentioning Hodge. I'd forgotten - and even before he was hurt I thought I remembered Hodge being spoken of as less than impressive. Then once he got back he was less than impressive other than one fumble recovery for a TD against Seattle.

I didn't inlclude the 5th, 6th or 7th because those are so difficult. Hard to say "Damn, I wish I hadn't wasted that seventh rounder on Ronnie McAda!"

CaliforniaCheez
10-13-2009, 02:44 PM
It pretty much works out to around 50% of all draft picks don't make it and are considered busts for whatever reason.

Now it is fashionable to point out picks that might have been better but people forget that there are picks which could have been even worse than some of the "busts".

Do you remember your reaction to Jordy Nelson being drafted??

Hawk was certainly less expensive and more productive than Reggie Bush.

Right now if you were looking at the draft next year you may be wanting a CB, an OT, a DE, and an RB to be drafted. By next April that may change.

Sparkey
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Here is the list of players picked after Brohm at the end of round 2 and Jermichael Finley pick in rnd 3.

Not sure what to think after looking at the names. Slaton is the only one who would get me excited. Henne has looked good the last few weeks, but would have been a non-impact pick, same as Brohm.

[+] 26 (57) Miami Dolphins (From Chargers) Henne, Chad QB 6'2" 225 Michigan

[+] 27 (58) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (From Jaguars) Jackson, Dexter WR 5'10" 182 Appalachian State

[+] 28 (59) Indianapolis Colts Pollak, Mike OT 6'4" 299 Arizona State

[+] 29 (60) Green Bay Packers Lee, Patrick DB 6'0" 200 Auburn

[+] 30 (61) Dallas Cowboys Bennett, Martellus TE 6'6" 259 Texas A&M

[+] 31 (62) New England Patriots Wheatley, Terrence CB 5'9" 178 Colorado

[+] 32 (63) New York Giants Thomas, Terrell CB 6'1" 198 Southern Cal

[+] 1 (64) Detroit Lions (From Dolphins) Smith, Kevin RB 6'1" 217 Central Florida

[+] 2 (65) St. Louis Rams Greco, John OT 6'5" 320 Toledo

[+] 3 (66) Miami Dolphins (From Chiefs through Lions) Langford, Kendall DT 6'6" 295 Hampton

[+] 4 (67) Carolina Panthers (From Jets) Godfrey, Charles CB 6'0" 207 Iowa

[+] 5 (68) Atlanta Falcons Jackson, Chevis CB 6'0" 188 LSU

[+] 6 (69) San Diego Chargers (From Raiders through Patriots) Hester, Jacob FB 5'11" 230 LSU

[+] 7 (70) Chicago Bears (From 49ers) Bennett, Earl WR 6'0" 209 Vanderbilt

[+] 8 (71) Baltimore Ravens (From Ravens through Bills and Jaguars) Gooden, Tavares OLB 6'1" 233 Miami

[+] 9 (72) Buffalo Bills Ellis, Chris DE 6'4" 260 Virginia Tech

[+] 10 (73) Kansas City Chiefs (From Broncos through Vikings) Charles, Jamaal RB 5'11" 200 Texas

[+] 11 (74) Carolina Panthers Connor, Dan OLB 6'3" 233 Penn State

[+] 12 (75) San Francisco 49ers (From Bears) Smith, Reggie DB 6'1" 199 Oklahoma

[+] 13 (76) Kansas City Chiefs (From Lions) Cottam, Brad TE 6'8" 270 Tennessee

[+] 14 (77) Cincinnati Bengals Sims, Pat DT 6'2" 310 Auburn

[+] 15 (78) New England Patriots (From Saints) Crable, Shawn OLB 6'5" 241 Michigan

[+] 16 (79) Houston Texans Molden, Antwaun CB 6'1" 198 Eastern Kentucky

[+] 17 (80) Philadelphia Eagles Smith, Bryan OLB 6'2" 228 McNeese State

[+] 18 (81) Arizona Cardinals Doucet, Early WR 6'0" 212 LSU

[+] 19 (82) Kansas City Chiefs (From Vikings) Morgan, DaJuan S 6'0" 205 North Carolina State

[+] 20 (83) Tampa Bay Buccaneers Zuttah, Jeremy OG 6'4" 303 Rutgers

[+] 21 (84) Atlanta Falcons (From Redskins) Douglas, Harry WR 5'11" 176 Louisville

[+] 22 (85) Tennessee Titans Stevens, Craig TE 6'3" 254 California

[+] 23 (86) Baltimore Ravens (From Seahawks) Zbikowski, Tom FS 5'11" 210 Notre Dame

[+] 24 (87) Detroit Lions (From Browns) Fluellen, Andre DT 6'2" 296 Florida State

[+] 25 (88) Pittsburgh Steelers Davis, Bruce DE 6'3" 252 UCLA

[+] 26 (89) Houston Texans (From Jaguars through Ravens) Slaton, Steve RB 5'9" 197 West Virginia

[+] 27 (90) Chicago Bears (From Chargers) Harrison, Marcus DT 6'3" 310 Arkansas

cheesner
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
The AJ Hawk pick. Not because I think AJ was a bad pick, he was actually a good pick considering what was available. Probably not worth the #5 pick though in a normal year.

Personally, I would have done this:

Traded the #5 pick, 3rd and 4th round (Abdul Hodge and Cory Rodgers) to SEA for the #31 and SEA's #1 the next year and the SEA 7th rounder

I would have taken Demeco Ryans at #31 and Marques Colston at #239

in 2007 I would have traded the 24th overall pick from SEA along with 3rd rounder (aaron Rouse) to SF for their #1 in 2008 and their #2 in 2007 (they made the same deal a few picks later to get Joe Staley)

I would have taken Tony Ugoh in the 2nd with SFs pick #42

in 2008 with the SF pick, #10 overall, I take Ryan Clady.

So, lets look at the GM score card:

TT: AJ Hawk

Cheesner: Demeco Ryans, Marques Colston, Tony Ugoh, and Ryan Clady.

MJZiggy
10-13-2009, 07:45 PM
You're assuming that if TT doesn't make the number 5 pick, the draft falls the same way without him there. Maybe without TT, Hawk has a free fall. Or other oddities occur. And that was a boneheaded trade for SanFran.

cheesner
10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
You're assuming that if TT doesn't make the number 5 pick, the draft falls the same way without him there. Maybe without TT, Hawk has a free fall. Or other oddities occur. And that was a boneheaded trade for SanFran.I actually made it better than what SF got by throwing in the 3rd, which was Rouse which did us little good in the long run.

In retrospect, I should have had the score card thusly:

TT: AJ Hawk, Aaron Rouse, Abdul Hodge, and Cory Rodgers

Cheesner: Demeco Ryans, Marques Colston, Tony Ugoh, and Ryan Clady

My post was only slightly sarcastic, we are all amazing GMs with the benefit of hindsight.

bobblehead
10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
You're assuming that if TT doesn't make the number 5 pick, the draft falls the same way without him there. Maybe without TT, Hawk has a free fall. Or other oddities occur. And that was a boneheaded trade for SanFran.I actually made it better than what SF got by throwing in the 3rd, which was Rouse which did us little good in the long run.

In retrospect, I should have had the score card thusly:

TT: AJ Hawk, Aaron Rouse, Abdul Hodge, and Cory Rodgers

Cheesner: Demeco Ryans, Marques Colston, Tony Ugoh, and Ryan Clady

My post was only slightly sarcastic, we are all amazing GMs with the benefit of hindsight.

I think I mailed a similar proposal to Harvey Kuehn (spell?) When I was about 12....he didn't mail me back.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Harrell for sure and Rodgers (Cory).

Spaulding
10-14-2009, 11:00 AM
The one that kills me is when we took Harrell 16th. Not because I thought he'd be a bust but because I was seriously hoping we'd get Darrell Revis who went two picks earlier at #14.

Then again I thought Al Harris was in decline more-so than he is and that we needed a CB to play opposite Woodson.

The other pick I'd want back would be Cory Rodgers. Another case where it wasn't that I thought he'd be dead weight but because I was thought Elvis Dumervil would be a stud. Guy was undersized but non-stop and I saw his game against Kentucky which was amazing.

Guiness
10-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Is Brohm still on our PS?

pbmax
10-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Is Brohm still on our PS?\
Yes.

Guiness
10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Is Brohm still on our PS?\
Yes.

Wow. He must really be showing nothing for no one else to take a flyer on him, and put him on their roster for at least a bit. To go from a 2nd rounder to the PS in 1 year is something else, even more shocking than a 4th rounder not making it out of camp. Sure, there have been other players from the first 2 rounds that don't last, but that's generally because they really mess up, outside of football, not because they can't play.

I'd guess this is one Ted would like to have back. IMO it was a 'name' pick.

Yes, I'm sure they scouted him, but decided he wasn't worth their top pick, and that he'd be gone by the time the time this pick came around, so they never seriously looked at him. Wouldn't be far fetched to think that when he was still there, no one had a lot of info on him, he was at one time graded as a first round talent, so they took him.