PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Hart

get louder at lambeau
10-14-2009, 01:39 PM
The Chargers cut their starting strong safety today. A 3-4 veteran starter, at the position most recently filled by Derrick Martin and an out-of-position LB. Maybe if the Packers sign this guy, people will shut up about Anthony Smith?

Chargers re-sign Scott, release Hart
Casey Pearce
Posted Oct 14, 2009

The Chargers added depth to their defensive line Wednesday when they re-signed veteran defensive tackle Ian Scott. To make room for him on the roster, the team released safety Clinton Hart.

Scott, a seven-year veteran, joined the Chargers last September and appeared in four games with San Diego. He spent the entire 2009 offseason with the club but was released at the conclusion of training camp.

Hart joined the Chargers in 2004 and has been a starter since 2007.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chargers-re-sign-Scott-release-Hart/fa3496d0-2423-4da6-9a15-57df7e1c1032

Fritz
10-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I know absolutely nothing about this guy.

However, I am a fan.

And since safety is a shaky spot for the Pack right now, I say sign him NOW!

So what if I don't know jack about the guy?!?!? It'll just make ME feel better if they sign him. So they better do it.

Guiness
10-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I haven't paid much attention to the AFC...

but don't the Chargers have a woeful secondary?

edit: my mistake - Rush D is the problem in San Diego

retailguy
10-14-2009, 01:46 PM
It will be interesting to see if we even express any interest in him. I, quite frankly, doubt we will. We haven't sought anyone for the OL, except for Tauscher, and had he not been part of the team last year, I don't think we'd have given him a second look either.

I think we've got the guys we've got. Bigby or Martin? Does it even matter?

pbmax
10-14-2009, 01:47 PM
There is probably more to it than this, but Wade Phillips, previous D coordinator for the Chargers ran a 3-4 similar to the Pittsburgh one we are currently copying. Rivera (the current SD D coord) kept some of the previous defense even though his background was 4-3 and he played under Buddy Ryan.

Waldo
10-14-2009, 01:50 PM
The reaction of Chargers fans is akin to the reaction Packers fans had when Carroll was cut.

Nobody is shedding a tear.

retailguy
10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
The reaction of Chargers fans is akin to the reaction Packers fans had when Carroll was cut.

Carroll still plays for the Jets. Was out of football in 2008, but made the team this year, as a backup, of course.

Obviously they see something in him, but he clearly wasn't first round talent.

pbmax
10-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Carroll still plays for the Jets. Was out of football in 2008, but made the team this year, as a backup, of course.

Grabby McSmurf is my favorite packerrat generated nickname by far. Someone here did coin that, right?

NewsBruin
10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
It was posted here, but I can't remember if it was a Wikipedia article or a column. The two names opponents called him were "Grabby Smurf" and "Highway 41" (or whatever his jersey number was).

Freak Out
10-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I think Mateo in Mex called him a mini Clubber lange when they threw the gloves on him. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
10-14-2009, 03:29 PM

I thought he was on the Jets roster all year last year. Saw him a couple times when i flipped over to catch the Favre-Bubba show.
http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmadcarroll/profile?id=CAR504211
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5550

bobblehead
10-14-2009, 03:37 PM

I thought he was on the Jets roster all year last year. Saw him a couple times when i flipped over to catch the Favre-Bubba show.
http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmadcarroll/profile?id=CAR504211
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=5550

I think you might be right...didn't BF declare that it was "the most talented secondary I've ever been around"?

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM

However, I am a fan.

So what if I don't know jack about the guy?!?!? It'll just make ME feel better if they sign him. So they better do it.

So are they going to cut Kampman or Clifton to make room? Maybe Harris?

retailguy
10-14-2009, 08:13 PM

However, I am a fan.

How about Breno Giancomi, Evan Detrich-smith, Jarrett Bush, Korey Hall, or Spencer Havner?

Could we maybe spare one of these "great potential" guys for someone who might be able to play now? That being said, I don't know this guy and don't know if he CAN play. But if he can, might one of these guys be PS material?

Fritz
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
When a guy gets cut like that, is he a free agent or does he go through waivers?

And please don't tell me anyone is defending - even as an inactive-every-week guy - Ahmad Carroll.

He's the Ahmad Carroll of defensive backs.

Bretsky
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM

However, I am a fan.

Don't let our excellent record fool ya

we've got plenty of junk on this roster waiting to endlessly roam from team to team as player #52 for any veteran who can play.

Vonnie Holiday anyone..........shit........that's right........he wanted to come here but signed with Denver.

Bretsky
10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Bush needs to get whacked :idea:

Brandon494
10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
No thanks, he struggles in coverage. Then again after watching Martin play..... :doh:

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 08:27 PM
1. We still have Spencer Havner?? :?: (I thought he was cut in preseason)

2. Didn't Bush outplay Martin last week?

3. Do we really need anyone who can be in any way, shape, or form likened to Ahmad Carroll?

Bretsky
10-14-2009, 08:39 PM

2. Didn't Bush outplay Martin last week?

3. Do we really need anyone who can be in any way, shape, or form likened to Ahmad Carroll?

2. Outplay is a nice way to put it

Martin mentally bothched up about five assignments

Bush knows the defense but sucks

I have no idea how good or bad this guy is; I just think we stink back there

retailguy
10-14-2009, 08:43 PM

Still on the team.

http://www.packers.com/team/players/havner_spencer/

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Ok, but as I posted in another thread, shouldn't we have someone competent back there BEFORE we start showing people the door? See point #3.

Bretsky
10-14-2009, 09:44 PM

Ok, but as I posted in another thread, shouldn't we have someone competent back there BEFORE we start showing people the door? See point #3.

Did we have a competent backup when we showed Smith the door ?
Rouse..........cut
Martin..........can't learn assignments

MJZiggy
10-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Thank you for making my point.

Bretsky
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Thank you for making my point.

If TTT f'cked up the first time I'm authorizing him to do it again :!: