PDA

View Full Version : Atari Bigby is Back!!!

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 01:44 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/wire/chi-ap-fbn-packers-bigbysb,0,3408329.story

GREEN BAY, Wis. - Safety Atari Bigby is ready to return to the Green Bay Packers, and the big hits can't be far behind.

While Bigby is known for delivering jaw-jarring tackles, he says the biggest contribution he can make in his return from a knee injury is a sense of confidence that rubs off on his teammates.

"It's like being a pilot," Bigby said. "You don't want to hear your pilot say, 'OK, we're going down!' You want him to land that thing safe and sound wherever you're at. I think that's what I bring, and that's what they feel when I'm back there."

Bigby was back at practice for the Packers this week, and is expected to be back on the field for Sunday's home game against Detroit. His injury in the season opener against Chicago left a significant hole in what suddenly became a vulnerable secondary and the Packers have been scrambling to find a reliable backup.

And while Bigby has been hampered by injuries since the beginning of the 2008 season, Packers coach Mike McCarthy hasn't forgotten what it was like to have him healthy and playing up to his potential during the team's 2007 playoff drive.

"I'll just say this: When Atari is in the game, on the field, there's definitely a different life to our defense," McCarthy said. "You could just see that yesterday at practice."

Packers nose tackle Ryan Pickett compared Bigby to Indianapolis' Bob Sanders -- an overstatement, for sure, but one that indicates just how strongly teammates feel about Bigby.

"It puts a lot of teeth in our defense," Pickett said. "Losing someone like him, I mean, he's a major part of our defense. He's a great player, playing the pass and the run. Just having him out there, having his personality and his attitude out there on the field, we've missed it tremendously."

Bigby's ability to stop the run could free up safety Nick Collins to spend more time roaming the middle of the field in search of interceptions.

Beyond that, Bigby's knowledge of the defense could allow defensive coordinator Dom Capers to bring more pressure than he did in the Packers' Week 4 loss at Minnesota -- a definite source of contention for Charles Woodson.

The veteran cornerback spoke out after the 30-23 loss to Brett Favre and the Vikings, second-guessing Capers for his defensive calls and the Packers' front office for cutting backup safety Anthony Smith before the regular season.

Woodson said Thursday that he has discussed his concerns with Capers and probably should have held his tongue.

"I like speaking my mind," Woodson said. "But at the same time, there's a lot of other guys involved besides myself. I know we're all working hard for the same goal, and we're all frustrated with losing."

Woodson is looking forward to Bigby's return, mainly because he has a firm grasp of the defensive scheme.

"That is half the battle," Woodson said. "He knows the defense, so just to have us at full strength, having him back, running around, his enthusiasm, helps out a lot."

But for the Packers' defense to live up to expectations, Bigby has to stay on the field.

Undrafted out of Central Florida, Bigby spent most of the 2005 and 2006 seasons on the Packers' practice squad while playing in a handful of games. He had a breakout season in 2007, starting every game and leading the team with five interceptions -- including four in the month of December, earning him NFC defensive player of the month honors.

But Bigby played in only seven games last season, sidelined by nagging ankle, hamstring and shoulder injuries.

He spent the season downplaying his health problems to reporters, in large part because players from opposing teams were calling him sniffing around for information -- something Bigby says is common around the league and happened again this week with Lions safety Marquand Manuel, a former Packer.

"Other teams, they're looking out for that," Bibgy said. "Other guys call me up and say, 'Bigs, are you playing this week?' So from that standpoint, I didn't want to be out there and be a target."

Bigby says the injuries haven't shaken his confidence.

"I know I'm a good player," Bigby said. "I've just had bad luck with injuries, and I know that as soon as I get back to healthy, I'll be that same guy -- if not better."

NOTES: Centers Jason Spitz (back) and Scott Wells (hamstring) both were limited in Thursday's practice. McCarthy said he didn't think either injury was serious, but said rookie Evan Dietrich-Smith is the team's third-string center. ... OLB Brady Poppinga returned to practice Thursday after sitting out with flulike symptoms earlier in the week.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe we can start blitzing again with the LB's.

SkinBasket
10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
GREEN BAY, Wis. - Safety Atari Bigby is ready to return to the Green Bay Packers, and the big hits can't be far behind.

Any article that starts this way is going to be full of stupid. And fluff. Sadly enough, the team needs what Bigby has - minimal competence.

I find it hard to believe with how many kids play college ball that we can spend a decade looking for one who doesn't suck ass.

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 08:21 AM
LOL. Really, Skin, I made this thread for you. I knew you've been craving some Atari. :lol: I heard your Wii was broke.

Regardless, it was kind of a joke topic, as I don't feel Atari brings much to the table anymore, either. What makes it funny is someone felt the need to publish a full article on Atari the Savior. That shit cracks me up.

bobblehead
10-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I happen to be a big Atari fan. Back when we were giving RG big bucks for playing 8 games I was saying that Bigby played 6 great games and didn't disappear against the Giants....yet RG broke the bank and Atari got the minimum....because he did the right thing and came back to play and prove his worth. He got hurt, RG got hurt. If I had to cut one or the other it would be history for RG.

woodbuck27
10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Well . . . at least . . . it appears that Atari Bigby is available to our team for whatever.

Hit em' Atari.

rbaloha1
10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
This is wonderful news! Yes, AB may miss tackles but makes more big hits and impact plays.

AB is also an excellent blitzer.

woodbuck27
10-16-2009, 01:06 PM
This is wonderful news! Yes, AB may miss tackles but makes more big hits and impact plays.

He also should add some fire to a team that needs that right now.

Fritz
10-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Nutz must be delirious with joy over this hard-hitting article.

Me, I'm glad the dude's back and I hope he stays healthy.

Bossman641
10-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Nutz must be delirious with joy over this hard-hitting article.

Me, I'm glad the dude's back and I hope he stays healthy.

Is he healthy though? I'm hoping he proves me wrong, but he has no burst.

Fritz
10-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Though at this point simply knowing where you're supposed to be seems to be important. Talent, schmalent.

Not where I hoped this team would be at this position at this point. But no team is perfect. I just want this one to be good enough to get into the playoffs and do some damage.

Bretsky
10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
he's better than Bush.....if that makes you feel good

Brandon494
10-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I think Bigby is a big part of our defense, look how well the defense looked during preseason and game 1 when he was in there. It allows DC to bring more pressure having Bigby instead of the other scrubs.

rbaloha1
10-16-2009, 09:08 PM

He also should add some fire to a team that needs that right now.

YES INDEED!

Partial
10-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I used to be a Bigby fan. Now I'm a Twigby hater. I'm ready to draft a guy high and finally stablize the position next to Tom Collins. It has been a revolving door for way too long.

I really think we're ready to turnover most of our D. I don't like any of our linebackers a huge amount beyond Matthews (he needs to bulk up) and Bishop. Hawk can stick around if he can lose some weight and get some speed back.

I don't like any of our secondary beyond Nick Collins and obviously Chuck. I'm good with TWill as a nickel back.

DL is okay. I don't like Jenkins long term (I recognize he is a star when healthy), I DO like Jolly, Pickett and I guess Raji (maybe -- still not convinced).

falco
10-16-2009, 09:24 PM
bigby may suck, but he's the best we have right now, thus should be an improvement

rbaloha1
10-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I used to be a Bigby fan. Now I'm a Twigby hater. I'm ready to draft a guy high and finally stablize the position next to Tom Collins. It has been a revolving door for way too long.

Yes an upgrade would be nice. This years draft has 2 players -- Mays, USC and Berry, Vols that are impact safeties. Most likely unavailable for the Pack. Unsure whats available after those two.

Partial
10-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Anyone else terrified by the fact that are two centers are questionable (50% chance of playing) and we're going to only have one active fullback and two active fullbacks, one of which we never use?

Scary stuff.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/64535217.html

Brandon494
10-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Anyone else terrified by the fact that are two centers are questionable (50% chance of playing) and we're going to only have one active fullback and two active fullbacks, one of which we never use?

Scary stuff.

Not really, we are playing the Lions who are without their starting QB and star WR.

Bretsky
10-17-2009, 08:08 AM
bigby may suck, but he's the best we have right now, thus should be an improvement

yup

retailguy
10-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Scary stuff.

I didn't read the article this way at all. Spitz and Wells are banged up, no shock there, but mccarthy will be surprised if they miss the game. Johnson returns on Saturday, so he's available. what's the issue here?

Partial
10-18-2009, 12:18 AM

Scary stuff.

I didn't read the article this way at all. Spitz and Wells are banged up, no shock there, but mccarthy will be surprised if they miss the game. Johnson returns on Saturday, so he's available. what's the issue here?

I think it was edited because when I initially read it is just said questionable, but now it says questionable but expects them to play.

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2009, 02:10 AM
To set it straight. Snake used to be a big Atari fan. But if the dude can't stay healthy...hell we saw what happened to Rouse. Personally, I liked what I saw with Atari healthy....the D was dominate. Atari made some big hits and some picks...but the article was really wack. Atari is not the savior of the D. I'm glad he's back, but thought I'd made Skin's day with the news update. I do like Atari though. :oops: