PDA

View Full Version : Packers the Youngest Team in NFL AGAIN! Does it Hurt Us?

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 01:55 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/829261.html

Question Mark: Packers are the NFL's youngest team
By Mark Gaughan
NEWS NFL REPORTER
Updated: October 16, 2009, 12:22 AM /

Q: What is the youngest team in the NFL, and where do the Bills rank? — Ethan Scott, New York

A: Green Bay has the youngest roster with an average age of 25.70. Indianapolis and Kansas City are tied for second at 25.89. That's based on the opening-day rosters. The news item here is the Colts. They're on a streak of six straight seasons with at least 12 wins, and they probably will make it seven this year, since they're 5-0.

They have made the playoffs nine of the last 10 years. Obviously this is a testament to the management of Bill Polian and the quarterbacking of Peyton Manning, among other things.

The Bills are 10th in average age at 26.40.

The oldest roster in the league is in Washington, at 27.6, with 17 players age 30 and over.

--------------------------------------------

What is that like 4 years in a row? I think that young teams are good in the NFL, first off. But what has it given GB over the past 4 years (being the youngest in each under TT)?

At first, it was roster overhaul, but it means TT is not making trades to bring in talent ala Vikings. He's doing the draft thing with no regard to trades and FA. It was ok a few years ago, but now we are in YEAR 5 under TT....same shit. Decent team with TT's picks...but not a lock for the playoffs. Teams like the Giants, Vikes, etc. in the NFC draft well too, but bring in other talent to supplement the youth with the draft picks. That's how you win (ala Ron Wolf). Is TT going nuts with this cap space/youth thing a bit? Snake is a HUGE TT fan, but again, being the youngest does nothing but relegate us to mid-card status.

---------------------------------

I voted we fizzle. I don't mind TT. But so many teams have adapted with FA/trades and TT seems aloof to it. I wouldn't mind if he came back, but he needs to add some aspects to his player acquisition techniques. His drafting is fine, but c'mon add some players TT. That OL is a joke of his drafting Bullheadedness. Over the past few seasons we could have added someone for some money? No?

Thoughts?

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2009, 07:48 AM
I vote for:

Nope, age don't matter, talent does.

Everybody criticizes TT because he doesn't do free agents and uses the draft to build the team. The free agent thing is fair criticism. He's passed up some great talent by not pulling a "Jared Allen" type free agent out of the bag.

But his drafts haven't been that spectacular either. He's passed on the elite, marquee talent and has gone with journeymen or sleepers (James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Justin Harrell (and on down the list to David Clowney, etc.). These are guys that excite by the idea of their potential and when the potential doesn't materialize it's a big downer.

The last talent in the draft he and I agreed on was Greg Jennings. Since then, he's made no effort to jockey into position to get an elite running back or an elite DB or an elite DLman. To be fair, the last draft he did maneuver to get Clay Matthews. And he did draft Hawk thinking he had a blue-chipper.

But the areas of need on the team are still stocked with journeymen, not blue-chippers.

I remember Packer Rats calling for TT to draft Marshawn Lynch, Steve Slaton, DeSean Jackson, Devin Hester, Greg Olson, Reggie Nelson, Felix Jones, Chris Johnson, Elvis Tumerville... But where are the big college "names" on the Packer squad?

Maybe 2009 marks a sea change in TT because he drafted "names" like Raji and Mathews. And he did draft Jermichael Finley (after passing on Martellus Bennett). So we'll see.

Fritz
10-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Maxie, some of the names on your list were unavailable to the Packers since they were chosen before GB picked. Marshawn Lynch is one such name.

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 07:54 AM
For one...I've always been in TT's camp, but after seeing his draft plan at work for 5 years now and seeing others like the Vikes that supposedly aren't all with the draft (aka trades, FA) really bolster their roster in many ways, it's starting to burn Snake's skin a bit. I'm not saying torch TT or grab the pitchforks, but he needs to look at all avenues when adding serious talent, no matter the cost. An all-star starter doesn't HAVE to be in the draft...(Hutchinson, Jared Allen come to mind).

Maxie the Taxi
10-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Maxie, some of the names on your list were unavailable to the Packers since they were chosen before GB picked. Marshawn Lynch is one such name.

I understand that. My point is that TT hasn't traded up or maneuvered to get needed talent, which he did in 2009 to get Clay Mathews.

For example, in 2007 TT had the 16th draft position in the first round; Lynch went in the 12th. Surely he could have had Lynch if he really wanted him.

TT's strategy seems to be draft potential in quantity and hope it pans out. I say he'd be better to trade away draft choices to get better position for drafting big name blue chippers.

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Albeit that "talent" he traded up for is what all NFL draft picks are...unproven. I liked his balls trading up, but was not enthused with what he gave up for Clay unless he's a phenom. The jury is still out. I'd rather give up multiple picks for proven young talent (at the time) like Hutch or Allen (albeit TT doesn't like spending big money on other team's proven talent it seems). That's my prob. with Ted. He'll resign his own and draft well.....but it ends there. Woodson was a flier that really panned out, but no brainers like some OL help (there's always a few Pro-Bowl OL under 28 available it seems yearly, although costly) seem to slip by.

Pugger
10-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Was Jared Allen a FA?

Bossman641
10-16-2009, 08:35 AM
Was Jared Allen a FA?

Nope, Vikings gave up quite a bit to pick him up in a trade.

SnakeLH2006
10-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Was Jared Allen a FA?

Nope, Vikings gave up quite a bit to pick him up in a trade.

He was on the trading block and had some issues with some DUI's/possible suspension stuff....but a helluva trade for a young 25 year old guy (at the time) with HUGE pass-rush ability. Sure looks good now, though. He's still wearing Colledge's jock strap on his head.. :cry: Now that is a tough ass redneck, yo.

The Leaper
10-17-2009, 11:37 PM
I don't mind young talent...but when it hasn't panned out in 2+ years on the OL, TT needed to go out and find some capable veteran talent as a plan B IMO. He didn't, and this year looks like a lost cause. We may squeak in the playoffs, but we aren't threatening anyone with our paltry OL.

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2009, 02:35 AM
I don't mind young talent...but when it hasn't panned out in 2+ years on the OL, TT needed to go out and find some capable veteran talent as a plan B IMO. He didn't, and this year looks like a lost cause. We may squeak in the playoffs, but we aren't threatening anyone with our paltry OL.

I don't mind the draft base. It's all good, but with the cash $20 million or so in reserve...sign some young 28 year old OL to bolster/star on the OL. That shit is relevant yearly. Why is young QB Sanchez doing very well in NJ....well the GM got 2 studs in FA at about 28 to start and pass protect for the rook in the last 2 years.

I could only imagine if Arod wasn't running for his life under TT's OL draft picks....Get him some fucking help. TT won't sign a FA unless it's well under value (Pickett and Wood were his ONLY 2 guys he got amongst 20 guys...do the numbers). TT only signs guys to under-market deals. Great bottomline....but sometimes you want to win.

TT will NEVER EVER OVERPAY OR PAY MARKET VALUE. This is where after 5+ years he's failing as GM. Fix that OL. Nope...we'll keep drafting....and put ARod under the bus with the rejects...or pay some dude $8 million to shore it up aka (Jets, Vikings). Nope...we'll fail with those guys at $3-4 milllion. That's my beef. What's with that? Pay a dude. Get blocked. Draft a guy. Hope. Fail. Be stubborn and cheap. That is TT's plan.

I was 100% on TT's draft bandwagon. But this shit is wack after 5+ season seeing the weakest OL the Packers have had in 20 years. Complete BS. Sign a top OL or 2. Draft and develop....Colledge is his highest draft pick OL....and Jared Allen tweets how he wears Darren's jockstrap on his head for fun. Fuck this shit. TT needs to step up in 2010 and get some OL help in FA....Obviously he can't draft for shit there as this is what is bringing our early 2009 team down. OL. No one can defend that shit. His projects/picks are not good on OL. Give some cash up. Get some stud anywhere. No OL guy we have is a stud. That is why ARod runs around and gets sacked and we lose. Simple math. Figure it fucking out TT....or get lost in 2010.

Snake drank the 2004 TT Kool-Aid...but it's weak and diluted now.....draft picks are awesome....incredibly bad OL based on his drafting at OL make me sick. If we don't hack it in 2009....get out, TT. Get the fuck out. You had 6 seasons.

woodbuck27
10-18-2009, 06:03 AM
As it now stands why are Packer fans panicing? We're still very much in the hunt for a playoff spot. The Packers need to win the next three games.

GO PACKERS!

Gunakor
10-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. The Packers are the youngest team in the NFL and we are 2-2. Tied for second youngest are the Colts, and they are 5-0. The Bills are 10th youngest in the NFL and they are 1-4. Anyone know the average age of the Washington Redskins?

I really don't think age is the issue here.

By the way, I couldn't vote in this poll because there's no option for "It really makes no difference."

sheepshead
10-18-2009, 09:06 AM
What about the coach?

Pugger
10-18-2009, 09:18 AM
If you look at the roster almost all of our starters save Barbre have at least 4 years in the NFL. Our back-ups are young but I suspect that's the case with a lot of teams.

Fred's Slacks
10-18-2009, 11:39 AM
My .02:

TT's philosophy for how he builds the team is not the problem. Teams like the Colts, Eagles, Steelers, Ravens etc have shown that building primarily through the draft is the best way to build a sustainable talent base. That's not to say you can't build a winner differently. I'm impressed with how the
Vikes have built their roster. Guys like Berrian and Shiancoe seemed to be overpaid at the time they signed their contracts and they gave up a lot to get Allen, but all those moves have worked out so now they have a very good talent base. They obviously did their homework for all those moves to pan out.

The point is it's not the philosophy but the execution. Other teams have built primarily through the draft and won championships. Others have used FA and had success. I would argue that the former is easier to sustain but you gotta hit on your picks. Have we done that well enough? Most would say no at this point. Maybe I'm a homer but I still think this team can turn it around.