PDA

View Full Version : DD to Break Sterling's Catch Record. Best WR EVER in GB?

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Sterling Sharpe dominated over 7 years and set the record with the first 2 100 catch seasons in NFL history. Over 7 years Sharpe fucking dominated and was arguably the best WR in the NFL (vs. Jerry Rice at the time) but set records with the first two 100 catch seasons in NFL History. Sterling brought a new age of WR diva....before Diva's at WR were common. He was tough as nails....caught everything...made TD's....and dominated games.

Snake was a teen....but remembered Sterling absolutely DOMINATING games. Favre wasn't the top guy then. Sharpe was. I see now DD with his talk show talking crap how he's (he's said it) said he's the best WR in Packer history. As good as Sterling was....I call on Fritz and Maxie to bring up Don Hutson. Some say he was the best player in NFL history. Hutson.

Thus the poll. DD is good, but arguably ALWAYS the 2nd option at WR in an age of WR's. I like DD, but damn if he's that good...It's taken him 11 years to catch Sterling. Sterling Sharpe was a beast man in his 7 seasons (All-Pro Yearly and cut short with his neck injury in 1994)..it took DD 11 to catch him. Hutson was a phenom.....would like to hear from Rats that saw Hutson play. DD is not the man....His show is a joke.

Hutson was the man...but Sterling Sharpe was the guy who made WR a major thing in the early 90's and made Brett a star. I say Sharpe by a hair over Hutson based on that. As dominant as Hutson was...was he the difference maker for alll those 1960's championships with only 12 teams in the NFL? Or with the early 90's...with 30 teams was Sharpe that good? I bet on Sharpe. Sharpe would have had EVERY WR record if he didn't have to retire at only 27 years old with almost 600 catches and so many TD's and big plays...He woulda took all the records from Jerry Rice (who I feel is overrated....played till he was 42).

DD is a nice guy. Sharpe wasn't....but hell DD or GJ couldn't carry Sharpe's jockstrap in the early 90's. Sharpe was one of the top 10 players in the league no doubt. DD isn't even/wasn't one of the best 5 in ANY year of Packer players.....Sharpe dominated the NFL. Sick of DD's talk shows...DD is only a 2nd tier WR at best EVER. Sharpe DOMINATED the league in his prime. DD=above average WR in an age of stats. Sterling would have wasted all those stats if he didn't have to retire at 27 with a neck injury. That guy was the best Packer player by far in the early 90's. DD should suck his cock and shut the fuck up on his show. It's sad. Sharpe and Hutson would warp DD's stats over the years/championships. I like DD, but WTF? His show is a joke. Sharpe and Hutson are SOOOOO much better than him.

Waldo
10-18-2009, 04:55 AM
A strong case can be made that Hutson was the most dominant football player at any position in any era.

Without question he is the best WR GB has had.

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2009, 05:14 AM
A strong case can be made that Hutson was the most dominant football player at any position in any era.

Without question he is the best WR GB has had.

Definitely not disputing that at all. Snake is 29. Grew up with Sharpe as the WR. I had a great conversation on Rats about Bart Starr with Maxie lately...thus the poll.

I admit I know nothing of Hutson....how good was he? Like the poll stated...maybe Hutson was one of the most dominant players EVER. How good was he? From guys who seen him play (Snake only knows Sharpe being 10x the player DD is) he was a beast-man. True???? Was Hutson that good? Maybe that's why GB won all those pre-Super Bowl titles?

I have no probs with that. If anyone votes for DD or GJ...there WILL be problems, yo.

woodbuck27
10-18-2009, 05:27 AM
This order as I see it:

Don Hutson; Sterling Sharpe (and both dominant in games) and then Donald Driver ( a real giver on and off the field ).

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2009, 05:38 AM
This order as I see it:

Don Hutson; Sterling Sharpe (and both dominant in games) and then Donald Driver ( a real giver on and off the field ).

First off Snake loves some DD. He's Packer Peeps...but he's prob. bottom (like number 10 if lucky) of best Packer WR's EVER. Shit....he's NEVER been the #1 receiver in in his 11 years to break Sharpe's pass record he's glorified on his OWN TV show. Robert Brooks was pedestrian in the mid 90's Super Bowl Run but would run shop over DD. I bet these old rats like Waldo, Maxie, Fritz, et. all could name 10 WR's that could run shop over DD as #3 all time at WR for the Green Bay Packers.

Like I said...Snake likes DD, but he can only hold a candle to the former WR's despite soon getting the most Packer catches over 11 seasons. I'd take Lofton over him....and don't even remember him.

woodbuck27
10-18-2009, 05:43 AM
This order as I see it:

First off Snake loves some DD. He's Packer Peeps...but he's prob. bottom (like number 10 if lucky) of best Packer WR's EVER. Shit....he's NEVER been the #1 receiver in in his 11 years to break Sharpe's pass record he's glorified on his OWN TV show. Robert Brooks was pedestrian in the mid 90's Super Bowl Run but would run shop over DD. I bet these old rats like Waldo, Maxie, Fritz, et. all could name 10 WR's that could run shop over DD as #3 all time at WR for the Green Bay Packers.

Like I said...Snake likes DD, but he can only hold a candle to the former WR's despite soon getting the most Packer catches over 11 seasons. I'd take Lofton over him....and don't even remember him.

Add James Lofton and you have three that would be ranked over DD as good as DD has been.

Gunakor
10-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Don Hutson was definitely the best Packers WR ever. Hutson is in Jerry Rice's company. You have to remember, there were a lot less games back in his day. So he's not going to catch as many balls.

Sterling Sharpe was absolutely dominant during his playing days. It's too bad Sharpe's career ended too early because of injury, or we might be talking about HIM as the best Packer WR ever. He's another one that could have joined Jerry Rice/Don Hutson company, especially with 7+ more years catching balls from Brett Favre in his prime.

Driver is a tough, gritty, hard nosed, fearless type player. I love him to death. But as good as he is, as reliable as he can be, as much as he does for this team... He's not Sterling Sharpe, and he's not Don Hutson.

Pugger
10-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Hutson revolutionized the WR position and he still has a handful of NFL records on the books. It took several decades and changes in passing rules before anybody broke those records he once held.

Bossman641
10-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Sterling Sharpe dominated over 7 years and set the record with the first 2 100 catch seasons in NFL history. Over 7 years Sharpe fucking dominated and was arguably the best WR in the NFL (vs. Jerry Rice at the time) but set records with the first two 100 catch seasons in NFL History. Sterling brought a new age of WR diva....before Diva's at WR were common. He was tough as nails....caught everything...made TD's....and dominated games.

Snake was a teen....but remembered Sterling absolutely DOMINATING games. Favre wasn't the top guy then. Sharpe was. I see now DD with his talk show talking crap how he's (he's said it) said he's the best WR in Packer history. As good as Sterling was....I call on Fritz and Maxie to bring up Don Hutson. Some say he was the best player in NFL history. Hutson.

Thus the poll. DD is good, but arguably ALWAYS the 2nd option at WR in an age of WR's. I like DD, but damn if he's that good...It's taken him 11 years to catch Sterling. Sterling Sharpe was a beast man in his 7 seasons (All-Pro Yearly and cut short with his neck injury in 1994)..it took DD 11 to catch him. Hutson was a phenom.....would like to hear from Rats that saw Hutson play. DD is not the man....His show is a joke.

Hutson was the man...but Sterling Sharpe was the guy who made WR a major thing in the early 90's and made Brett a star. I say Sharpe by a hair over Hutson based on that. As dominant as Hutson was...was he the difference maker for alll those 1960's championships with only 12 teams in the NFL? Or with the early 90's...with 30 teams was Sharpe that good? I bet on Sharpe. Sharpe would have had EVERY WR record if he didn't have to retire at only 27 years old with almost 600 catches and so many TD's and big plays...He woulda took all the records from Jerry Rice (who I feel is overrated....played till he was 42).

DD is a nice guy. Sharpe wasn't....but hell DD or GJ couldn't carry Sharpe's jockstrap in the early 90's. Sharpe was one of the top 10 players in the league no doubt. DD isn't even/wasn't one of the best 5 in ANY year of Packer players.....Sharpe dominated the NFL. Sick of DD's talk shows...DD is only a 2nd tier WR at best EVER. Sharpe DOMINATED the league in his prime. DD=above average WR in an age of stats. Sterling would have wasted all those stats if he didn't have to retire at 27 with a neck injury. That guy was the best Packer player by far in the early 90's. DD should suck his cock and shut the fuck up on his show. It's sad. Sharpe and Hutson would warp DD's stats over the years/championships. I like DD, but WTF? His show is a joke. Sharpe and Hutson are SOOOOO much better than him.

So...how do you like DD's talk show?

Iron Mike
10-18-2009, 09:52 AM

Imagine where DD would be if he didn't drop every third pass thrown to him. :roll:

woodbuck27
10-18-2009, 10:02 AM
In today. Go Donald Driver. I've always been a big fan of his life and efforts and he's been a solid Packer.

GO PACK GO!

MJZiggy
10-18-2009, 10:08 AM
His mom is pretty cool too. Sweet lady.

Cleft Crusty
10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
This poll is absurd, frankly. Hutson was the best the Packers ever had, but only by a hair. Then James Lofton. Lofton was as fine an athlete as the Packers have ever had on their roster. Sharpe was a fine receiver, but he got almost every pass thrown to him in the Favre-led west coast offense directed by Holmgren. Driver is a gutty receiver who is tough as nails going across the middle. Great effort, fearless receiver, but nowhere near as graceful and as tremendous a route runner as Lofton. Lofton could be argued to be the best. Hutson feasted on depleted war time rosters. Lofton endured on horrible Packer teams; when he had a relatively healthy Dickey at QB and some decent weapons around him (In Green Bay, and late in his career at Buffalo), Lofton showed what a game changer he was. Had Lofton been in Jerry Rice's shoes, he would have put up bigger numbers. He was that good.

Scott Campbell
10-18-2009, 10:47 AM
I respectfully disagree with the heavily medicated Cleft Crusty. I think Sharpe was better than Lofton.

red
10-18-2009, 10:50 AM
sharpe was a beast, maybe one of the best ever if it wasn't for the neck injury. he revolutionized the position

but not as much as hutson. he was the best ever

hutson, sharpe, lofton, driver

and thats no knock on driver

Cleft Crusty
10-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I respectfully disagree with the heavily medicated Cleft Crusty. I think Sharpe was better than Lofton.

I respectfully think you are full of it. Clefty watched years of Packer football with James Lofton getting open against double teams only to have pathetic sorts like Jim 'bounce pass' Zorn Randy 'they're coming!' Wright, David 'touch pass' Whitehurst, or Vince 'noodle arm' Ferragamo throw garbage Lofton's way. Still, Lofton was always a huge long ball threat - probably averaged more than 5 yards/catch more than Sharpe., must have had 6 or 7 years with a yard per catch over 20; career was over 18/catch. So had thousand yard receiving seasons on far fewer receptions. Sharpe was a very fine receiver but isn't even close to Lofton as a game breaker. Was far more featured receiver; in his best years had similar numbers to Lofton but required 40 more receptions to get there.

cheesner
10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Gotta go with the Crust on this one.

Except I would put Hutson as the best by a good margin. Hutson was #1 or #2 in the NFL for all time. I would put loften around #15ish all time.

falco
10-18-2009, 11:18 AM
any poll that does not list antonio chatman is obviously incomplete

esoxx
10-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Where's Sanjay Beach :?:

Brandon494
10-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Don Hudson was good not doubt but his stats are misleading. All the records he holds are for leading the league for consecutive seasons for yards gained, TDs, etc. but its not like he had anyone really to compete against. Donald Driver on the other hand does not get as much credit as other WRs in the league. He is also a olympic class high jumper. Driver has been a lock for 80+ catches and 1000+ yards the past 5 seasons and shows no sign of slowing down yet. He is the Hines Ward of the NFC.

mmmdk
10-18-2009, 11:41 AM
sharpe was a beast, maybe one of the best ever if it wasn't for the neck injury. he revolutionized the position

but not as much as hutson. he was the best ever

hutson, sharpe, lofton, driver

and thats no knock on driver

I agree yet voted Sharpe; never seen Hutson play. The rest I've got on dvd.

It would be cool with some Hutson stories too 8-) Post'em if you got'em.

Fritz
10-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Listen, sonny boy Brandon, if you're basic argument is that someone can't be good because he didn't have anyone to compete against, you're showing your ignorance and you ought to sit this one out.

Hutson's last years were during the WWII era, but I'm not buying Cleft Crusty's argument - not sure Hutson can help it if some guys were off to WWII. Besides, he posted big numbers before then anyway.

Just because these guys played before your time and you don't know them doesn't prove they weren't "anybody;" it only proves you haven't bothered to do your homework. So allow me to assist you.

Here are some of Hutson's stats - receiving only, as btw he was also a defensive back and kicker.

His longest catches in his 11 year career range from a "short" of 36 yards in 1940 to longer, more "average" gains like 83, 92, 79, and 78 yards. How's that for YAC?

In an era of ten and eleven game seasons, Hutson had 74 catches in 1942, 58 in 1941 and 45 in 1940 (note that both those years were pre-US entry into WWII, Cleft). He had over 1200 yards receiving in 1942 and was over 800 yards in two other seasons. Again, recall that this was before passing was de rigeur in the NFL, and remember that these are 10 or 11 game seasons.

He was 6'-1" and went about 180, which today would be light but at the time was a large size for an "end," as receivers were called.

He helped revoultionize the game and there was no one in his class at that time.

I would - on another note - argue aliong with Cleft that Lofton was better than Sharpe. Sharpe was, as Snake notes, a beast. He was incredibly strong. But he had everything thrown his way as Holmgren tried to give a young Favre a security blanket in the form of Sterling Sharpe. Lofton was a deep threat, he had sweet hands, he could go over the middle - he was, all around, a better receiver than Sharpe.

But Hutson was the King.

MJZiggy
10-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Listen, sonny boy... :lol: :lol:

Excellent post. They did do it all back then, didn't they?

Brandon494
10-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Listen, sonny boy... :lol: :lol:

Excellent post. They did do it all back then, didn't they?

I laughed myself when I read that. :lol:

The Leaper
10-18-2009, 01:59 PM
I love Don Hutson. He was an absolute beast. However, if you put Sterling Sharpe on the field in Hutson's place, he would've put up even better numbers.

If Sterling Sharpe had not had his career cut short, he would probably have become one of the top 5 most prolific receivers of all-time. He was an absolute monster...capable of beating you deep or going across the middle and breaking tackles for extra yards. He was also a pretty good blcoker.

All around, Sharpe was the best receiver to ever play in Green Bay. Hutson earns a well deserved 2nd place IMO.

The Leaper
10-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Lofton was a deep threat, he had sweet hands, he could go over the middle - he was, all around, a better receiver than Sharpe.

Sorry...but Sharpe was a far more physical player than Lofton anywhere on the field...and could also beat you deep. I'd agree that Lofton had better hands, but not that he was an all-around better receiver.

Yeah, Sharpe got all the passes in the Holmgren offense...because the rest of the WRs were crap by and large. Other teams consistently doubled Sharpe, and he still put up 100 catch seasons. Some of that you can say is because he had Favre...but Favre was also still young and not quite at his peak.

It isn't even a contest between Lofton and Sharpe IMO.

MJZiggy
10-18-2009, 02:02 PM
600 for DD!!

The Leaper
10-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Also...to me Hutson was dominating because defenses simply weren't used to someone with his skills and talents. He had an advantage...and it is to his credit that he used that so effectively. If you asked a question as to who the best PLAYER Green Bay ever had was...I would say Hutson because of the other aspects he also contributed in addition to his dominant receiving ability.

However, a receiver like Sharpe who dominated in the modern era...when secondaries were far and away more talented and prepared to stop talented WRs, is more impressive to me.

Zool
10-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Back in Hutsons day the DB's could basically tackle the WR at the LOS. No 5 yard contact rule. There were no unnecessary roughness penalties. I'd put Hutson in any era and he'd succeed. Athletic freaks are good no matter what.

The Leaper
10-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Back in Hutsons day the DB's could basically tackle the WR at the LOS. No 5 yard contact rule. There were no unnecessary roughness penalties. I'd put Hutson in any era and he'd succeed. Athletic freaks are good no matter what.

True...but secondaries also weren't very organized because the passing game had hardly become a threat in professional football yet. Also...it works both ways. Hutson could be very physical and get away with it as well.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Lofton or hutson. Not even close.

Iron Mike
10-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Nobody remembers Commodore Perry Kemp??? :roll:

retailguy
10-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Walter Stanley?

MOBB DEEP
10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
FREEMAN.....duh!!!

Don H wouldnt do JACK in this era

GrnBay007
10-18-2009, 03:43 PM
FREEMAN.....duh!!!

Loved the run Favre n Freeman had!

Iron Mike
10-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Aundra Thompson??

Iron Mike
10-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Jeff Query had the awesome mullet.

MJZiggy
10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
FREEMAN.....duh!!!

I don't really buy this. It's impossible, however, to compare players from different eras. But I do think that if you moved Hutson to this era, he'd not only have the competition of this era, but he'd also have the training available to top athletes and wouldn't have to have a job in the offseason.

MOBB DEEP
10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
FREEMAN.....duh!!!

I don't really buy this. It's impossible, however, to compare players from different eras. But I do think that if you moved Hutson to this era, he'd not only have the competition of this era, but he'd also have the training available to top athletes and wouldn't have to have a job in the offseason.

You're right MJ, hard to compare eras so its semi-senseless to argue it.....especially because things u cant coach like heart, dedication, evolution, creatine (lol )and skills are major components of success

Iron Mike
10-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Jeff Query had the awesome mullet.

I'm sticking with the Milliken Maniac. Think of the stats he could have had if he were around for Favre's best years.

https://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/557880201.jpg

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Yea, I remember Perry "Hands" Kemp.

Snake was a little Snake back in 1991 at the 49er-Packer game in Lambeau. Majik was still the QB, albeit a shell of his magic self being banged up and stuff. Somehow we had a chance to win (I think we had the lead late in the game) but Perry "Hands" Kemp fumbled the ball away late in the game and Joe Montana ended up winning it late with a 400 yard passing game.

Kemp (not just because of the game) was probably the most overrated Packer WR EVER this side of Antonio "Pay Me So I Can Eat And Tail Off After One Fantastic Year And Completely Lose My Skills That Made Me Great Before I'm Even Close to 30 Years Old" Freeman. That's just my opinion though. :lol:

By the way...sorry for not putting up Loften, an other option, and Sanjay Beach in this poll. My bad. :oops:

packerbacker1234
10-18-2009, 06:11 PM
A lot has to do with the eras ypu play in. Today, there are simply a lot better WR's then there were back in the 90's, and before. Sharpe was a beast, but htere are lot of wr's today that can do what he did if you threw them in that Era... DRiver may be one of them.

Driver's career started way slower the Sharpe's too, as he was a 7th round draft pick. Sharpe was put on the field, if I remember right, in his first season. DRiver was like the #4 or 5 guy the first couple years of his career, and no one found out how good he really was till year 4.

Also, Driver has never been a top 5 wr? He's been to prowbowls, so thats a falicy. He holds the consecutive games with a catch record, yards, and most catch record now.

DD has a strong case. You can say he has been #2 most his career and thats a lie. Walkers break out year it was DD that #1. When we had Ferguson... DRiver was #1. A majority of the time we have had GJ, Driver has been #1. GJ took over the spot last season... and Driver so far has completely taken it back this year.

I didn't get to watch people before them, so I can;t comment.

I know this: Driver is really good, and I think we all underapreciate him still.

SnakeLH2006
10-18-2009, 06:25 PM
A lot has to do with the eras ypu play in. Today, there are simply a lot better WR's then there were back in the 90's, and before. Sharpe was a beast, but htere are lot of wr's today that can do what he did if you threw them in that Era... DRiver may be one of them.

I agree about the era thing. From what I hear, Hutson just dominated his era decades ago. I know nothing of him, but sounds like he was a beast...but DD couldn't hold a candle to game-to-game dominance by either Hutson or Sharpe in their primes.

I grew up watching the Packers in the Majik-Sharpe era. Sharpe absolutely dominated games and carried some early 90's teams to victories on his back. DD is a great second fiddle WR, but Sharpe would still dominate the NFL today, esp. with greater emphasis on passing games, hands/contact with DB's, etc. The guy was strong as an ox...had hand's with stick'em...caught everything his way...had a knack for getting open deep like Greg Jennings does now...and won games for a young Favre by himself....

I don't remember DD dominating games at all. There's always been dozens of players in the league I'd take over DD in a given year at WR....

DD's a good second fiddle guy that is underrated somewhat..sure. But Sterling was the whole damn orchestra before he ws forced to retire at 27 years old. That made Snake pretty sad, as Sterling was prob. my favorite Packer as a young Packer fan. Nobody schemes their defense to stop DD like they did for Sterling. The guy would be triple-teamed and still carry 4 guys into the endzone. DD has heart, but Sharpe had a killer instinct unmatched for a WR.

digitaldean
10-18-2009, 08:56 PM
A lot of people forget about the legends from the 30s thru 50s. Hutson was the pioneer of the elite WRs.

Sharpe... fantastic player, but turned to be an absolute di** after getting lambasted in his rookie year by some of the media. I remember working at a Kaukauna newspaper and Sharpe came to a youth football banquet in town. Granted an interview to our little hick paper and everything.

He was Brett's crutch for the longest time and delivered most of the time. Then came the holdout right before the opener with Minny. :evil:

Double D is the epitome of keeping yourself in shape and overcoming superlong odds as a 7th rounder. Super nice guy, clutch performer. He got this title due to keeping himself in top shape and being a consistent player.

packerbacker1234
10-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I have a hard time believing there are a dozen guys this year you would take over Driver.

Lets see, maybe Moss... and who? Driver has been studly this season. Has yet another probowl trip ont he radar.

The Leaper
10-18-2009, 10:25 PM
I know this: Driver is really good, and I think we all underapreciate him still.

I don't think anyone underappreciates him. Driver simply disappears in the red zone...which is one reason why we can't score down there. He's probably one of the 5 best receivers currently in the NFL between the 20s...but he is a liability in the red zone.

Hutson or Sharpe...those guys were a threat anywhere on the field at any time. They exhibited dominance that Driver has never achieved, despite a very high level of play.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2009, 03:57 AM
I have a hard time believing there are a dozen guys this year you would take over Driver.

Lets see, maybe Moss... and who? Driver has been studly this season. Has yet another probowl trip ont he radar.

Larry Fitzgerald
Q
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall
Dwayne Bowe
Greg Jennings
Andre Johnson
Steve Smith
Lee Evans
Roddy white
Wes Welker
Santonio Holmes
Hines Ward
Housh
Ocho Cinco
Marques Colston
Desean Jackson
Calvin Johnson

About 5-10 more i could list that are perhaps debatable. I listed 18 right off the top of my head.

sharpe1027
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Over about 10 years, Hutson lead the league in receiving touchdowns 9 times, receptions 8 times, yards 7 times and yards/catch 2 times. Nobody has ever come close to being so consistently dominate.

Those that want to argue that players are just better today...what is the point in making these types of comparisons? All sports change over time so I think the only fair comparison is against the guys on the field at the same time and how much better you are compared to them.

Give Hutson the benefit of today's training and other advantages in the rules and the pass-happy offenses and who knows? Maybe he would still have been dominate today. No way to know or even to make a solid argument about it.

Cheesehead Craig
10-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Hutson and frankly, it's not really close.

Badgerinmaine
10-19-2009, 12:40 PM
The argument for Hutson is a bit like the argument of why Babe Ruth was a superior baseball player to either Hank Aaron or Willie Mays when you are comparing players across eras. The margin between Hutson and his contemporaries is far larger than the gap between any of the more recent Packers receivers, just as Ruth was so far ahead of nearly all of his contemporaries. That's a sign that you are a game changing player, and I think it fits for Ruth and Hutson.

Incidentally, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has an online poll on this topic. 3,462 votes are in, and here are the results:

Don Hutson 35%
Sterling Sharpe 25%
Donald Driver 23%
James Lofton 13%
Boyd Dowler 2%
"Someone else": 2%

That looks about right, though I would have Lofton quite a bit higher. I wonder who the "someone else" voters had in mind: Carroll Dale? Gary Knafelc? Antonio Freeman?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2009, 12:49 PM
DD over lofton. :lol:

sharpe1027
10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
The argument for Hutson is a bit like the argument of why Babe Ruth was a superior baseball player to either Hank Aaron or Willie Mays when you are comparing players across eras. The margin between Hutson and his contemporaries is far larger than the gap between any of the more recent Packers receivers, just as Ruth was so far ahead of nearly all of his contemporaries. That's a sign that you are a game changing player, and I think it fits for Ruth and Hutson.

Incidentally, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has an online poll on this topic. 3,462 votes are in, and here are the results:

Don Hutson 35%
Sterling Sharpe 25%
Donald Driver 23%
James Lofton 13%
Boyd Dowler 2%

That looks about right, though I would have Lofton quite a bit higher. I wonder who the "someone else" voters had in mind: Carroll Dale? Gary Knafelc? Antonio Freeman?

From a popularity standpoint, I would guess that Driver gains lots of votes and Lofton loses a lot of votes.

Someone else...Kitrick Taylor? :lol:

Pugger
10-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Don Hutson 35%
Sterling Sharpe 25%
Donald Driver 23%
James Lofton 13%
Boyd Dowler 2%

From a popularity standpoint, I would guess that Driver gains lots of votes and Lofton loses a lot of votes.

Someone else...Kitrick Taylor? :lol:

I would've put Lofton at #2 behind Hutson and Sharpe at #3.

Bretsky
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Bretsky is not old enough to see Hutson play

But Sharpe is hands down the best WR Bretsky has witnessed
After that I'd definitely say James Lofton is the next best

Bretsky
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Where is Ruvell Martin :?: :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Where is Ruvell Martin :?: :lol:

Yeah, doesnt team chemistry count for anything anymore?

SnakeLH2006
10-23-2009, 11:15 PM

Larry Fitzgerald
Q
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall
Dwayne Bowe
Greg Jennings
Andre Johnson
Steve Smith
Lee Evans
Roddy white
Wes Welker
Santonio Holmes
Hines Ward
Housh
Ocho Cinco
Marques Colston
Desean Jackson
Calvin Johnson

About 5-10 more i could list that are perhaps debatable. I listed 18 right off the top of my head.

Normally I would never agree with a Ty post, but glad I didn't have to make a list. That suffices and agree there's even more WR's I would take over DD in 2009 (not on age but on game ability).

Despite it all, he's a nice guy and a good player, but not even close to being a dominate WR. Consistent guy you can count on...but 2nd fiddle with a better WR and worthless in the redzone for TD's.

I agree with Bretsky. Sharpe was the most dominate WR by far I've EVER seen. I never saw Hutson...but I'm sure he was well ahead his time, but doubt he could hold a candle to the stars at WR today with his sleight frame/speed with today's standards. He'd be Wes Welker.