PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

MJZiggy
10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Look, it's always a great thing to get a shutout, even against the JV team, but we should have punished a depleted Lions team far more than we did. Let's face it, they couldn't even rotate their D-line by the end of the game and Rodgers was still getting sacked and pressured. I think Cliffy being back was only a solution insomuch as the rest of the line got back to their usual positions. I hope M3 realizes that Lang is a better solution than the total-line shift. I think I'm officially worried.

BallHawk
10-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Our Red Zone offense was pretty poor today. We're lucky it was the Lions. You can't do that against teams that have won in your state Post-Bush Sr. Administration.

bobblehead
10-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I get your point, but we scored 26 points taking most of the 4th quarter off and allowed ZERO.

Not sure how much more you can do against another professional team.

I to think that Bishop and some other backups should have gotten some experience, Maybe even Flynn could have played a quarter to protect the battered ARod.

MJZiggy
10-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I get your point, but we scored 26 points taking most of the 4th quarter off and allowed ZERO.

I to think that Bishop and some other backups should have gotten some experience, Maybe even Flynn could have played a quarter to protect the battered ARod.

How many touchdowns did we leave on the field? There were too many penalties and too many mental errors. Sound familiar?

BallHawk
10-18-2009, 05:05 PM

We had 3 drives end inside the 15 yard line. That's unacceptable and I'm certain MM will be addressing that.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-18-2009, 05:07 PM

We had 3 drives end inside the 15 yard line. That's unacceptable and I'm certain MM will be addressing that.

Pad level.

red
10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
i'm with you all the way on this one ziggy

the scoreboard doesn't tell the story in this one

Fritz
10-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Penalties and sacks, penalties and sacks, penalties and sacks.

Sign me up for "worried" now, too.

MOBB DEEP
10-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I think I'm officially worried.

lol....ultimate doom and gloom MJ...what gives? NO team is bullet proof...

channtheman
10-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Penalties and sacks, penalties and sacks, penalties and sacks.

Sign me up for "worried" now, too.

And coming out of the bye week against the Lions too! We set the tone nicely with the holding on the first kick return don't you guys agree?

red
10-18-2009, 06:03 PM
to add the good part of the thread

the wr's had some huge plays today. what was with all the one handed grabs?

packerbacker1234
10-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Our WR's are pretty good, we all know that, Driver showed up again.

Apologies to mr G.J., but Driver is the best WR on the roster.

channtheman
10-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Our WR's are pretty good, we all know that, Driver showed up again.

Apologies to mr G.J., but Driver is the best WR on the roster.

Finely is looking like a great player.

MJZiggy
10-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes, they were beautiful...and the picks were pretty as well.

Packers4Glory
10-18-2009, 06:42 PM
if they played the same game vs an average team....we lose.

hey we won, so those w/ the rose colored glasses can point to the scoreboard and ask what more do you want, but I want more disciplined play on offense, defense, and special teams. i'm sick of blown protections and stupid penalties.

we should have seen a strong ground game, few penalties, and fewer sacks.

I can't tell you when i've been more disappointed in a win than today considering the level of competition they were facing.

Little Whiskey
10-18-2009, 06:48 PM
loved it when moose said at the begining of the game, that since cliffy is back at his normal position and everyone is back to their normal positions we should see better line play. EEERRRRRRRRRR!!! wrong. this offensive line, is truely offensive. I don't think he has watched a packer game this season. I was thinking that maybe someone tried to brief him about last week's game just so he could say something.

BallHawk
10-18-2009, 06:57 PM

If we had played against an average team I assure you our game plan would have been a lot different. You can't take our actions from this game and assume we would have played the same against any other team.

channtheman
10-18-2009, 06:59 PM

If we had played against an average team I assure you are game plan would have been a lot different. You can't take our actions from this game and assume we would have played the same against any other team.

I think he's saying if we had 13 penalties and numerous red zone opportunities lost and we were playing say the Vikings or the Bears, we would lose, and I agree. At some point the penalties are going to screw you. At some point kicking field goals instead of TD's is going to screw you. If we play like that against a good team, we will lose, and so far we have.

red
10-18-2009, 07:04 PM
another thing that seems to be a staple of the m3 era is too many redzone fg's and not nearly enough td's

its like mike doesn't know fg's are a bad thing. it means you failed to get a td

Packers4Glory
10-18-2009, 07:11 PM

If we had played against an average team I assure you are game plan would have been a lot different. You can't take our actions from this game and assume we would have played the same against any other team.

I think he's saying if we had 13 penalties and numerous red zone opportunities lost and we were playing say the Vikings or the Bears, we would lose, and I agree. At some point the penalties are going to screw you. At some point kicking field goals instead of TD's is going to screw you. If we play like that against a good team, we will lose, and so far we have.

bingo.

not to mention we all know what happens when we play a defense w/ some healthy and decent lineman. I mean we only gave up 5 sacks today vs a team playing its back ups and an O-lineman on their D line. :roll:

sacks + penalties = epic fail

Brandon494
10-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I was upset with the penalties and still the lack of pass protection even though Lions were missing two starters. I mean Clifton had 4 penatlies alone.

Brandon494
10-18-2009, 07:13 PM
On a positive note the defense look a lot better when bigby in the lineup.

Fred's Slacks
10-18-2009, 07:22 PM
my positives: Matthews, Finely and Kampman from a 4 point stance.

channtheman
10-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Agree 100% Especially Kampy.

Partial
10-18-2009, 07:27 PM
How often did you guys see him with his hands in the dirt? I saw him once or twice but I barely watched the game.

channtheman
10-18-2009, 07:28 PM
How often did you guys see him with his hands in the dirt? I saw him once or twice but I barely watched the game.

I kinda fast forwarded through the game but I can recall specifically one instance where he was in a 4 point stance and either got good pressure or a sack out of it.

denverYooper
10-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Good:
They won! This is a game they were supposed to win and they did.

Pretty good game by the Defense. Matthews is freaky fast; I think his name will start appearing in DROY conversations at some point. They looked more aggressive today as a unit, also. I know that the lions were minus some key players on offense , but pitching a shutout and allowing only 149 yards is still pretty good.

Crosby made all of his FGAs. 4/4.

Driver had a nice game again, broke the Pack's record, broke 600, and had another of those 1-handed catches.

Bad:
They sure as shit shoot themselves in the foot a lot with stupid penalties.

Pressure.

Ugly:
The O's redzone play right now is spotty at best. They need to kill it.

Some of the sacks are funny looking. Rodgers doesn't exactly get blasted, he just kinda sits down. It reminds me of a skier who sits down when they start wobbling a bit, rather than chance a more serious spill. He takes quite a few very low contact sacks. I suppose they're good for keeping him relatively unharmed, but are ugly.

Deputy Nutz
10-18-2009, 09:49 PM
How many god damn field goals can you kick?

Ryan Grant should not be a starting running back in the NFL. The offensive line in the first half did a decent job at sustaining their blocks. To many times a safety is coming up and making the play before Grant gets to the second level. He is just too slow behind the line of scrimmage.

Sloppy play on offensive. If there is a way for Rodgers to get sacked, the Packers surely find them.

The good, well they beat the Lions, beat them without scoring a touchdown after the first quarter. Shut them out, good for the defense.

The Leaper
10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Ryan Grant should not be a starting running back in the NFL.

I completely agree. If I remember correctly, he got caught from behind on his 20 yard run in the 4Q by a guy with a 90-something number on his jersey. It is unacceptable to be as slow as Grant is and unable to catch the rock. He's virtually useless in our offense. We need a back who is a threat out of the backfield as a receiver considering our sieve of an OL.

Partial
10-18-2009, 10:34 PM
I was watching the Denver game last week, and Moreno would look really good in G&G. That cat can run and catch. Reminds me of Westbrook.

Brandon494
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM

I completely agree. If I remember correctly, he got caught from behind on his 20 yard run in the 4Q by a guy with a 90-something number on his jersey. It is unacceptable to be as slow as Grant is and unable to catch the rock. He's virtually useless in our offense. We need a back who is a threat out of the backfield as a receiver considering our sieve of an OL.

I agree we need a RB with game breaking ability like Ahman Green.

Willard
10-18-2009, 11:14 PM
The Good: Donald Driver continues to play with passion & pride. Congrats on the record, DD!

The Amazing (although practically meaningless, oft cited stat): If the playoffs started next week, our Green Bay Packers would be IN THE TOURNAMENT!

Glass Half Full comment: It is best not to peak too early in the season!

I'm still bullish on this team as long as a couple of the young OL dudes step up and get it done...and keep AR upright.

rbaloha1
10-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Yes -- its about friggin time kampy is in 4 point stance. Show explosion and no signs of slowing down.

CM is a motor with instincts.

rbaloha1
10-19-2009, 12:03 AM

RG does not look as fast as 07. Disappointed RG was caught behind on a play he should have scored.

RG is a slasher -- levens type back.

Deputy Nutz
10-19-2009, 07:17 AM

RG does not look as fast as 07. Disappointed RG was caught behind on a play he should have scored.

RG is a slasher -- levens type back.

He is a running back that would be ok if they called a hole and that was the hole to run through, but that is not the scheme is in Gb, or in the NFL. running backs need vision whether running in a ZBS or in a Power Lead game and he doesn't have the ability to make quick reads. Green Bay pulled Colledge quite a bit on Sunday and ran lead plays with Johnson as well and Grant had an extremely difficult time reading their blocks, usually cuting off the blocks the wrong way or not making the decision in the right amount of time and then being tackled by a safety after a minimal gain.

One time Colledge pulled and Grant ran right into the space Colledge vacated, not smart, the defensive end clobbered him along with backside linebacker. Who does that? I used to have 8th graders do that.

I thought the offensive line won the battle up front on running plays, Especially the interior of the line.

Barbre is in his third year as an NFL offensive linemen, he is in his 4th year playing offensive line. He is playing like a very inexperience player, which he is. I think he is athletic and talented, but if you don't have the skills as an offensive linemen, skills that take years to develop you are going to struggle with all things that are not straight ahead drive blocking.

SkinBasket
10-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Grant is looking more and more like Noah Herron every game he plays in. On his long run, I think he fell down because he tried running by taking two steps in a row with his right leg. Grant was the bad. The very definition of bad.

I would nominate Jimmy John James Jones for the ugly award. On Rodgers interception, he was too cool to lower himself and down the LB who made the pick and was literally within arms reach. Instead he just stood there and looked at him. Then continued to watch as he stood up. And continued to watch as he ran away. Jennings talked to him immediately afterward, but what a lazy motherfuck. Never going to be more than a 30 rec 3rd WR with an attitude like that.

The good is still Rodgers, who despite not throwing the ball away on at least 2 of those sacks, isn't throwing the ball to the other team when no one is open. Without a checkdown who can actually catch the football (looking at you Grant and Lee), I'm guessing that isn't going to improve soon.

And Bigby didn't have a massive fuck-up either, which I guess is an improvement.

red
10-19-2009, 09:06 AM
where is rodgers suppose to get rid of the ball to?

if he's in the pocket he has to find a good place to throw the ball to (one where thees a guys close, but the d is not too close). he can't just throw the ball away, thats grounding, loss of down and a penalty (even worse then a sack)

a lot of people are saying rodgers just needs to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack, but he's in the pocket when the shits getting to him. he can't just "throw it away"

Freak Out
10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I was unable to watch most the game although I did catch bits and pieces through a torrent....it sounds like I was lucky. :)

How in the hell did a team like Detroit keep us out of the endzone the last three quarters and how in the hell did a defense like that sack Rodgers another 4.5 times? It sounds like it was strictly the ineptitude of the Green Bay Packers......

If the pattern holds this season and we get Rodgers killed out there TT and M3 need to spend a week in the stocks in front of the Brett Favre Steakhouse.

:lol:

Waldo
10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

if he's in the pocket he has to find a good place to throw the ball to (one where thees a guys close, but the d is not too close). he can't just throw the ball away, thats grounding, loss of down and a penalty (even worse then a sack)

a lot of people are saying rodgers just needs to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack, but he's in the pocket when the shits getting to him. he can't just "throw it away"

Toss it over a WR's head on the sidelines. It isn't grounding.

bobblehead
10-19-2009, 01:24 PM
another thing that seems to be a staple of the m3 era is too many redzone fg's and not nearly enough td's

its like mike doesn't know fg's are a bad thing. it means you failed to get a td

go back and check out last years stats. It was obscene how often we got TD's compared to FG's. I think we already have more red zone FG's this season than we did all of last year.

bobblehead
10-19-2009, 01:28 PM
How many god damn field goals can you kick?

Ryan Grant should not be a starting running back in the NFL. The offensive line in the first half did a decent job at sustaining their blocks. To many times a safety is coming up and making the play before Grant gets to the second level. He is just too slow behind the line of scrimmage.

Sloppy play on offensive. If there is a way for Rodgers to get sacked, the Packers surely find them.

The good, well they beat the Lions, beat them without scoring a touchdown after the first quarter. Shut them out, good for the defense.

100% agreement. I have been anti Grant since he held out, and yesterday watching him I finally looked at my best friend and declared we need to cut him outright. Start Wynn with BJack getting some of the starting reps and all of the 3rd down reps.

bobblehead
10-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Correct. Dan Marino got sacked like once a game with NO running game his entire career because when protection broke down he knew where his sideline routes were...he would fire it 10 feet over their heads out of bounds with everything he had in that lightning release.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Correct. Dan Marino got sacked like once a game with NO running game his entire career because when protection broke down he knew where his sideline routes were...he would fire it 10 feet over their heads out of bounds with everything he had in that lightning release.

marino never had a line as bad as this one. Never. He would never survived if he had.

Guiness
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM

I like Rodgers as well as the next guy....but it's a little early to mention him in the same breath as Marino!!!

Maxie the Taxi
10-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm late posting on this thread, but I just got back from Wisconsin...

The GOOD: Packers won by a shutout as I predicted they would. I got to watch the entire game with family. MM played Lang when Clifton got hurt and not musical chairs. Rodgers was sharp. Finley looked like a weapon, Driver's courage and determination was evident. Special teams looked good (except for penalties). The defense got after them and were hitting hard. (Collins hit on the WR, ouch!) Clay Mathews is going to be good.

The BAD: O-line still is not impressive. Must have been a thousand penalties for illegal procedure. Play-calling was marginal. I thought McCarthy had an off day.

The UGLY: The win, despite being a shut-out. The running game. Although I'm not down on Grant. He still plays hard.

CONCLUSION: McCarthy has to stop playing musical chairs with the O-line. Let them become a unit, the run game will improve and possibly protection for Rodgers. He also has to get more flow in his play calling. When something's working, stick with it. I don't know if he still scripts the first 10 plays or so, but the offense always looks better earlier than later.

bobblehead
10-22-2009, 04:01 PM

marino never had a line as bad as this one. Never. He would never survived if he had.

Agreed, was more defining how you dump it off without getting called for it.

bobblehead
10-22-2009, 04:02 PM

I like Rodgers as well as the next guy....but it's a little early to mention him in the same breath as Marino!!!

I didn't, but you just did. Nowhere in my post did I mention of even think of Rodgers. I was discussing the proper way to dump the ball without getting called for grounding, and I cited the master of it.

YOU on the other hand had Marino and Rodgers on your mind at the same time obviously.

MJZiggy
10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't know if he still scripts the first 10 plays or so, but the offense always looks better earlier than later.

This is an interesting point.