PDA

View Full Version : Clay Matthews

packers11
10-18-2009, 08:56 PM
He was everywhere today... With 3 sacks on the season thus far he has been one of the most impressive LB's (as a rookie/newcomer) that the packers have had in awhile...

Thoughts?

digitaldean
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Was at the game today. Very nice performance from CM. He was flying around everywhere.

Only thing that overshadowed his performance was Kampy's play and the TO's we created.

red
10-18-2009, 09:00 PM
the amount of picks we gave up to get him doesn't seem to be as bad after each game he plays

b bulldog
10-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Our best LB, nice to have one LB that makes plays.

Bretsky
10-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I was at the game today

This guy stuck out to me

SOLID SOLID player who could be a future star

Bossman641
10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Clay is an impressive pass rusher, just looks very natural doing it.

The Leaper
10-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I love players with NFL genes in their DNA.

Partial
10-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm this guys biggest fan. I think he is going to be spectacular.

If anyone can point me to a Clay Matthews USC jersey, I will be very grateful. I've googled hard without much luck.

HowardRoark
10-18-2009, 10:48 PM
If anyone can point me to a Clay Matthews USC jersey, I will be very grateful. I've googled hard without much luck.

In the rare event of this lasting more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid long-term injury.

pbmax
10-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Dear Wist:

And coordinator Dom Capers unveiled a 3-2 package on passing downs in which Kampman played with his hand down for the first time and Matthews roamed behind the line before charging into his predetermined rush lane.

All my best,

Dom Capers

Partial
10-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Was Kamp floating or was he always on the left? I'm assuming Clay and Kamp were the 2

Partial
10-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Clay:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/64712897.html

Kampman:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/64711512.html

I really like this quote from Poppinga:

"I think so," he said. "Anything's possible, but for right now he had a great game. And you know what? I do what I'm told here. This team is built on linebackers. The reality is, I'm a Packer, man. This is what I signed up for. It's fine."

pbmax
10-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Was Kamp floating or was he always on the left? I'm assuming Clay and Kamp were the 2
Kampman was at DE with Jolly/Raji at the nose and Jenkins at the 3 DT technique or closer to end. Matthews would be a backer with Chillar and Barnett. Matthews then could rush from the end or go to coverage.

rbaloha1
10-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Initially did not like the pick -- thought CM lacked the physicality to play as an NFL olb. Also felt TT gave away too many picks.

Wrong -- physical, aggressive and instinctive. The Lions attempted reverses and misdirections at CM with no success. Fits the scheme. Bye Bye Poppinga.

Partial
10-19-2009, 12:07 AM
PB, do you remember what team spent a few weeks where they had the linebackers and linemen on obvious passing downs roaming around talking and trying to disguise where they were last year? It wasn't a typical thing, it was definitely deliberate and they had everyone in the box doing it for the most part. I can't remember what team did it but I remember that it was sort of gimmicky but seems to work pretty well (in the game I saw them doing it, at least). Maybe it was the Jets? It was definitely a 3-4 team.

Anyway, I was wondering if what they had Matthews doing was like this. I didn't watch much of the game and from the sounds of it is seems like he was rushing through many different gaps.

Lurker64
10-19-2009, 12:12 AM
For a position that has a very high bust rate, even with premium picks (look at Vernon Gholston, for example), Thompson appears to have hit one out of the park with Matthews. Hopefully he can stay healthy, because he's got the chops to be one of the league's better 3-4 OLBs. He gets off the snap like he was shot from a cannon, he's tough, physical, and instinctive. Basically everything you'd want from a football player. I'm a huge fan of this guy.

pbmax
10-19-2009, 12:55 AM
PB, do you remember what team spent a few weeks where they had the linebackers and linemen on obvious passing downs roaming around talking and trying to disguise where they were last year? It wasn't a typical thing, it was definitely deliberate and they had everyone in the box doing it for the most part. I can't remember what team did it but I remember that it was sort of gimmicky but seems to work pretty well (in the game I saw them doing it, at least). Maybe it was the Jets? It was definitely a 3-4 team.

Anyway, I was wondering if what they had Matthews doing was like this. I didn't watch much of the game and from the sounds of it is seems like he was rushing through many different gaps.
Not sure but I think Pittsburgh and it was called Angry Man Defense (or 11 Angry Men). Lots of team run something like it now, for instance Baltimore. More common to 3-4 teams.

pbmax
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
I haven't seen it posted on the site, but the papers say he is the starter now as well. Poppinga is on the bench.

Cheesehead Craig
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM

USC doesn't put names on the back of their jerseys. Just need to get a USC #47 jersey and there you go. I'm sure you could have a custom jersey made putting his name on the back if you wanted to.

red
10-19-2009, 09:36 AM
proof that partial isn't really a packer fan?

he finds a guy on the team he actually likes for a change and instead of getting a packer jersey of the guy, he needs to get the guys jersey from another team

SkinBasket
10-19-2009, 09:50 AM

he finds a guy on the team he actually likes for a change and instead of getting a packer jersey of the guy, he needs to get the guys jersey from another team

I think it's supposed to indicate that he always knew Matthews would be a star, and thus was on the bandwagon before other people. To be fair, I think Partial's always liked Matthews. Well, since he was drafted anyway.

Partial
10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
No I already have a Packer jersey, thats why. 47 is a much cooler number than 52 anyway.

Partial
10-19-2009, 10:23 AM

USC doesn't put names on the back of their jerseys. Just need to get a USC #47 jersey and there you go. I'm sure you could have a custom jersey made putting his name on the back if you wanted to.

Oh I know, I can't find a 47. I've only found a bunch of 2's and 10's.

sheepshead
10-19-2009, 10:37 AM
No I already have a Packer jersey, thats why. 47 is a much cooler number than 52 anyway.

:roll: :roll:

hoosier
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Kampman was at DE with Jolly/Raji at the nose and Jenkins at the 3 DT technique or closer to end. Matthews would be a backer with Chillar and Barnett. Matthews then could rush from the end or go to coverage.

That sounds to me like a 3-3, not a 3-2. Who were the personnel in the 3-2? Matthews with Chillar?

sharpe1027
10-19-2009, 10:51 AM

IMO, the emergence of Clay has shown what the main problem with Kampman has been...lack of anyone else to worry about, not the 3-4. Same as last year, when he is the only threat, he can be contained. Not a knock on Kampman, he just can't be expected to do it all on his own.

On a side note, I am sick and tired of announcers and their "Kampman in coverage" talking point. Time and time again they try to show an example of Kampman doing a bad job in coverage only to show him doing a good job. A couple weeks ago, they even complained about his coverage on a play that he was rushing the passer.

rbaloha1
10-19-2009, 12:17 PM
CM is playing the way Hawk was expected to play -- flying around making impact plays.

BTW Barnett is looking better and better.

Partial
10-19-2009, 01:27 PM
He was named Co-defensive player of the week with Brian Cushing by Peter King.

bobblehead
10-19-2009, 01:35 PM
the amount of picks we gave up to get him doesn't seem to be as bad after each game he plays

Maybe those who say TT isn't capable of pulling the trigger for an impact guy might be humbled now.

Now if only he can do that for a stud LT next year.

bobblehead
10-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Dear Wist:

And coordinator Dom Capers unveiled a 3-2 package on passing downs in which Kampman played with his hand down for the first time and Matthews roamed behind the line before charging into his predetermined rush lane.

All my best,

Dom Capers

Now if we could only get Bernard Bernanke to listen to wist all would be right in the world.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Dear Wist:

All my best,

Dom Capers

Now if we could only get Bernard Bernanke to listen to wist all would be right in the world.

Bernard can listen all he wants, Ben ain't gonna. :lol:

pbmax
10-19-2009, 02:37 PM

That sounds to me like a 3-3, not a 3-2. Who were the personnel in the 3-2? Matthews with Chillar?
Yeah, I am jumping to a conclusion. A 3-2 with Matthews would mean Barnett as lone LB in a dime. I could be wrong but I didn't think we played twelve snaps of dime coverage. I thought it was a nickel. I could be wrong and then Chillar would not be out there.

hoosier
10-19-2009, 03:05 PM

Yeah, I am jumping to a conclusion. A 3-2 with Matthews would mean Barnett as lone LB in a dime. I could be wrong but I didn't think we played twelve snaps of dime coverage. I thought it was a nickel. I could be wrong and then Chillar would not be out there.

I didn't have a chance to watch the GB-Det game so this is even more speculative. But based on how banged up Det was on offense I would be very surprised if Capers went into dime more than just a couple of times for the element of unpredictability. Going to dime means taking Chillar off the field for who? Underwood? Giordano? Bush? Those names don't inspire too much confidence. And the Lions receivers minus Calvin Johnson aren't exactly the 2001 Rams.

Brandon494
10-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Lets also remember he played a similar style of defense at USC but I agree he has looked very good so far this season. Sure glad we didn't get another Hawk.

red
10-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Lets also remember he played a similar style of defense at USC but I agree he has looked very good so far this season. Sure glad we didn't get another Hawk.

its amazing what can happen when you draft a guy thats played that position before.

not a tackle that we want to play guard, or a lb that we want to play FB, or a de that's suppose to play olb, or a DT that needs to play DE, or a college punter thats forced to play NT

rbaloha1
10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
He was named Co-defensive player of the week with Brian Cushing by Peter King.

USC rules. Maulauga is also playing well. Maiva is on the Browns roster.

Partial
10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Luga is a beast. He sure would look like a great pickup to play Hawk's spot right now. I'm a huge fan of the USC backers.

rbaloha1
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Luga is a beast. He sure would look like a great pickup to play Hawk's spot right now. I'm a huge fan of the USC backers.

Lets make the trade now!

mission
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
I love CM3

He's the truth.

packers11
12-08-2009, 01:08 PM
bump...

CLAY MATTHEWS!!!

mission
12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Looks like he's going to win NFC Defensive Player of the Week (not the Rookie one) per PackerNews.com