PDA

View Full Version : Broadband or Dial-up

Partial
07-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Curiosity

CyclonePackFan
07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Wait...people still use dialup? Poor souls....I remember surfing on a 56K modem...I'd take death over going back.

Tony Oday
07-26-2006, 12:56 AM
No way man Broadband all the way 16MB the most i can get here.

GrnBay007
07-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Wait...people still use dialup?

just got rid of it a month ago. :oops:

hurleyfan
07-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Went to Road Runner about 3 years ago and sometimes I can work at home with better speed than I can at work!!

What service are you using?

BallHawk
07-26-2006, 07:46 AM
I have broadband. I still kinda miss the weird sound the modem made when trying to connect to the internet on dial-up. I think I was like the only person that liked that sound.

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 09:35 AM
My internet usage has quadrupled in the last year since I got DSL/Wireless for my laptop. Before, having to be tied to a desk and waiting to login were just too much...

Not sure if that's good or bad as I've turned into a pseudo 'mouse potato'.

Partial
07-26-2006, 09:39 AM
I am on 8mbps broadband at home. when I go to school it will be 1mbps over 5 guys. That might get a little slow.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Forget "the real world", Fosco, it has nothing to offer. Your friends are here now, little notes and messages on the computer screen. Top of the morning to ya, bro.

GBRulz
07-27-2006, 04:26 PM
I am on 8mbps broadband at home. when I go to school it will be 1mbps over 5 guys. That might get a little slow.

You won't even notice a difference unless you are a gamer.

Websites load at a max of 600k or so. So, if I have a 768K connection or a 5MB connection, things don't go any faster.

I ditched Road Runner after having it for about 3 years. during peak times, there were instances where a dial-up modem would be faster than what I was at. In fact my friend just called me last week, said he was uploading at 44k (w/ Road Runner). I guess in every area it's different, but on the west side of GB, it sucks because they don't have enough nodes to support the amount of users. Plus it went down at least 2-3 times a month.

Went to SBC, well now AT&T Yahoo DSL about 2 years ago. Not one outage, constantly about 2MB down. Will never go back to the cable pigs.

The best part is, DSL is $20 a month cheaper, too :wink:

Partial
07-27-2006, 05:24 PM

You won't even notice a difference unless you are a gamer.

Websites load at a max of 600k or so. So, if I have a 768K connection or a 5MB connection, things don't go any faster.

I ditched Road Runner after having it for about 3 years. during peak times, there were instances where a dial-up modem would be faster than what I was at. In fact my friend just called me last week, said he was uploading at 44k (w/ Road Runner). I guess in every area it's different, but on the west side of GB, it sucks because they don't have enough nodes to support the amount of users. Plus it went down at least 2-3 times a month.

Went to SBC, well now AT&T Yahoo DSL about 2 years ago. Not one outage, constantly about 2MB down. Will never go back to the cable pigs.

The best part is, DSL is $20 a month cheaper, too :wink:

Those are all good points. I am a little bummed though because the options in platteville for internet are very, very limited. We'll make due with what we have though, and as long I can get to packerrats and google i'll be in like flint! :mrgreen:

Badgepack
07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey Partial, how long does it take to get to Madison from P'ville with the new highway?

Partial
07-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey Partial, how long does it take to get to Madison from P'ville with the new highway?

About an hour. 151 is very nice now that is goes from Dubuque (possibly further) all the way to madison. It's great! Plus, there are never any cops so you can go about 10 over worry free.

It takes me leaving from my dorm last year to tripp hall in an hour and 5 minutes on a friday afternoon (leaving at 3 oclock)

Badgepack
07-27-2006, 05:45 PM
It is nice by-passing all the small towns, Ill bet it saves you a good 45 minutes from before it was done. My wife (then girlfriend) went to UWP and I used to hate that drive. This was many, many years ago.

Partial
07-27-2006, 05:47 PM
It is nice by-passing all the small towns, Ill bet it saves you a good 45 minutes from before it was done. My wife (then girlfriend) went to UWP and I used to hate that drive. This was many, many years ago.

It's not too bad anymore. It's really nice with the rolling hills and trees on the side. It's very soothing in the fall.

GBRulz
07-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Do you guys remember driving to GB on Hwy 29 before it was 4 lane? had to go through Shawano and Wittenberg...that sucked.

I used to live in Wausau until about 10 years ago, so I did that drive quite a bit. Used to be 2 hours, now I can get to wausau in an hour and 15

Joemailman
08-02-2006, 05:38 PM
I installed broadband yesterday. Didn't even have to call my sister for help. I am so proud. :D I am now ready for my Fantasy Football online draft.

Anti-Polar Bear
08-02-2006, 06:12 PM
when I go to school it will be 1mbps over 5 guys. That might get a little slow.

WTF, your campus is stuck in the stone age or something? Where I am at, we get 100 mbps, and thats not even the fastest speed possible.

Partial
08-02-2006, 09:30 PM
when I go to school it will be 1mbps over 5 guys. That might get a little slow.

WTF, your campus is stuck in the stone age or something? Where I am at, we get 100 mbps, and thats not even the fastest speed possible.

Right, thats ethernet over Lan. I don't live on campus. We have a lan connection that is 100mbps in our house as well.