PDA

View Full Version : Pack position-by-position*QB

the_idle_threat
07-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Position-by-position: Quarterbacks
Packers believe Favre can regain winning form after dismal campaign
By BOB McGINN

Green Bay - Brett Favre's decision to play another season was one thing. Making it a worthwhile experience will be quite another.

Last year was a nightmare for Favre and the Green Bay Packers. By his standards, he was awful. So was the team.

After months of soul-searching, Favre is back for a 16th season at 36 soon-to-be 37, an age when most other great quarterbacks in National Football League history either were retired, injured or hanging on.

Look for Favre to give every ounce of himself to a franchise that means the world to him. In the end, Favre's decision to return probably came down to one factor: He hadn't had his fill of football.

Unfortunately, these kinds of stories don't always have happy endings. As bad as 2005 was, there's no guarantee that Favre or the team will be any better in 2006. Watching Favre get hurt or go out throwing another ton of interceptions for a club that's out of it by Thanksgiving would be an appalling scenario, not only for Packers fans but millions of Favre followers across the globe.

For the first time this decade, Favre will have a new head coach in Mike McCarthy, a new offensive coordinator in Jeff Jagodzinski and a new quarterbacks coach in Tom Clements.

The fundamental West Coast offense that has been in Green Bay throughout Favre's career remains in place, although there is new terminology. Aside from three new starters in the middle of a leaky offensive line, the personnel essentially is the same.

But this is a far cry from Denver giving John Elway a franchise back in Terrell Davis late in his career. More than likely, if the Packers are to succeed, Favre once more will have to carry them.

"I think he'll be very effective. . . . I don't know about Pro Bowl," Jagodzinski said. "His arm is as good as anybody's in the league. Still. Now he might have lost a step, but so did John Elway. He's still one of the top six quarterbacks in the league, I don't care if he's 37 or not."

Clements, the first of Favre's seven quarterback coaches who even played in the NFL, knows what it's like to go out on top as a pro quarterback. A member of the Canadian Football League Hall of Fame as a 12-year quarterback, he was 34 in 1987 when he called it quits shortly after being named the CFL's most outstanding player.

"I think he still has a lot of football left in him, no doubt about it," Clements said. "He still moves well. He still has a very good arm. He can make plays. He's seen it all. I think last year, with the team being unsuccessful, it kind of left a bad taste in his mouth and I think he wants to rectify that."

Favre has nothing to prove in terms of his place among the all-time greats, but for the first time since his MVP years he must prove that he still is a winning quarterback. His passer rating over the final 10 games was 58.0 and he went the entire month of December without a touchdown pass.

No team can win, let alone contend, with a quarterback turning the ball over 36 times. Favre's total of seven lost fumbles was his highest since '93. Not only were his 29 interceptions a career high but also the most in the NFL since Vinny Testaverde had 35 in 1988. Favre flung 12 more than anyone else, an astonishing statistic.

McCarthy, who carved out his reputation by developing quarterbacks, somehow must impress upon Favre that possession is a precious thing. The kid-gloves treatment eventually got Mike Sherman, Tom Rossley and Darrell Bevell fired. It cannot happen again.

"McCarthy, that's what he's known for, coaching quarterbacks," Jagodzinski said. "Brett's part of the 11. He's just as accountable as anybody else. Let's not worry about what happened. Let's move on.

"Absolutely not, I don't want it repeated. But I'd like to repeat what he did in the Super Bowl year. Sure, he's got to play (much better), but he's got to have a surrounding cast, too. How many starters did he not have last year? You take four or five starters out of your lineup, no one's going to be any good."

Aside from the interceptions, Favre probably missed more open intermediate and deep receivers than ever before, almost refused to take a sack and delivered just once in six chances to win close games on the final possession.

If Favre can't turn back the clock, it's inevitable that perhaps McCarthy and some fans will want to see Aaron Rodgers. His off-season level of performance was somewhat inconsistent in terms of accuracy and decision-making, said Jagodzinski, but he added that Favre's was, too.

Rodgers' dedicated approach and command of the McCarthy system impressed the staff.

"I think he missed one day because he had to go to a wedding," Clements said. "He has a very strong arm, he's smart and he moves better than people think. He's an excellent prospect."

The previous staff didn't tinker with how high Rodgers was taught to carry the ball in the pocket by California coach Jeff Tedford, and neither will Clements.

"It's not a problem," Clements said. "It doesn't stop him from dropping back quickly. The big bonus where he holds the ball is he gets rid of it very quickly with very little wasted effort. He gets it out of his hand quick, which is important."

The Packers took a flier in the fifth round on Furman's Ingle Martin, who exhibited considerable growing pains this spring and seems destined for No. 3 status all year.

What's interesting about Martin is he's almost a clone of Rodgers. Each player is 6 feet 2 inches and about 220 pounds, each ran 40 yards in 4.71 seconds at the combine, Martin performed slightly better in the vertical (36 inches to 34) and broad jumps (9 feet 3 inches to 9-2) and Rodgers performed slightly better on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, 35 to 32.

"As far as movement skills and arm strength, they're pretty similar," Clements said. "Aaron is more accurate at this point. Ingle must continue to work on that. He just has to get used to the game on this level."

-----------------------------------

At a Glance

The five quarterbacks on the Green Bay roster entering training camp. Each player is listed with height, weight, age, how acquired and college. Acquisition categories: T means trade, D1 means first-round draft choice and FA means free agent.

Quarterbacks at a Glance (5)

Player Ht. Wt Age Acquired College
BRETT FAVRE 6-2 219 36 T-'92 Southern Mississippi
Needs 25 TD passes to break Dan Marino's all-time record of 420, 7,747 yards to break Marino's all-time record of 61,361, 289 completions to break Marino's all-time record of 4,967 and 23 interceptions to break George Blanda's all-time record of 277.
AARON RODGERS 6-2 223 22 D1-'05 California
Led one scoring drive in 20 full possessions during '05 exhibitions, finishing with passer rating of 53.0. Posted rating of 36.8 at Baltimore in only extended regular-season stint.
INGLE MARTIN 6-2 220 23 D5-'06 Furman
Eighth of 11 QBs drafted in '06. Started four of 16 games at Florida from 2002-'03 (91.6 rating), transferred to Furman and started all 27 in 2004 and '05 (96.3 rating).
TOM ARTH 6-3 227 25 FA-'06 John Carroll
Spent '03 on the Indianapolis Colts' non-football illness list, '04 in their camp before being cut and '05 on their practice squad after being cut again. Completed eight of 12 passes for 77 yards and rating of 84.4 in '05 exhibitions.
BRIAN WROBEL 6-2 197 24 FA-'06 Winona State
Hails from Stoddard, played at De Soto High School and started two seasons at Winona. Played for Berlin in NFL Europe this spring, completing 28 of 60 passes for 297 yards, one TD and three INTs (46.3 rating). Also ran 15 times for 43 yards and one TD.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 09:36 AM
the problem is not the QBs, the problem is WRs and OL. We'll see.

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Word.

Plenty of Favre's mistakes last year can be attributed to drops/tips and poor routes (among desparation).

I think we're very solid at QB - if we tank it again this year, I'd like to see Rodgers play 3rd/4th quarters the second half of the season and watch Brett bow out w/ class.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen. :cool:

Bossman641
07-26-2006, 10:03 AM
This is the part that has me concerned.

"Aside from the interceptions, Favre probably missed more open intermediate and deep receivers than ever before, almost refused to take a sack and delivered just once in six chances to win close games on the final possession."

Yes everyone was injured. I don't want to get into an argument about who is to blame. The truth is though that with a new scheme and a whole new interior Favre probably will take some shots. Is he going to stand in the pocket, step up, and throw some lasers? Or is he going to float one deep off his back foot so that he avoids the hit? He has been doing that more and more in the past 2 seasons and the results haven't always been pretty. Favre has never been known as a great deep ball QB and we don't have the WR's that can go up and bring the ball down when the throw is off the mark like Walker used to do.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Unless we see a small miracle with the work of OUR OL - Brett Favre will be running for his life.

T2 as OUR GM went against or ignored - the first RULE of operating a successful NFL team.

PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.

If Brett Favre falls due to incessant heat, because OUR OL collapses way too often - then T2 will deserve all the heat he's going to get.

It's going to take alot more than prayer, to give Brett Favre a real chance to redeem himself as the still very talented QB that he is. Brett has to play within the talent pool that T2 provided/provides to M3.

We certainly need more depth and experience on OUR OL. I will be looking for T2 to still be active in that area of major importance . . .

TO PROTECT BRETT FAVRE.

Nothing else is acceptable to this Packer fan.

Bossman641
07-26-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't think it's really fair to say that TT ignored the offensive line and protecting Favre. After all he did spend 2nd and 3rd round picks on OL who, as of now, are penciled in as the starting guards.

Only 4 other teams in the draft spent even 2 picks in the first 4 rounds on offensive linemen

Texans - Charles Spencer G Round 3 Eric Winston T Round 3
Jets - D'Brick Ferguson T Round 1 Nick Mangold C Round 1
Eagles - Winston Justice T Round 2 Jean-Gilles G Round 4
Bucs - Davin Joseph G Round 1 Jeremy Trueblood T Round 2

You could argue that TT could have went after free agent guards but tell me who you wanted. Hutchinson was way too much money. Everybody else would have had to learn the zone-blocking scheme anyways so there would still be a learning curve. If TT was right about Colledge and Spitz or Coston shows improvement we should be set at guard for the next 5-6 years.

MJZiggy
07-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I can agree with that. If TT's philosopy is to build through the draft, then expecting him to use FA which he's admitted himself he doesn't like is a bit like expecting monkeys to eat pork. It's possible they might, but not what you should expect.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't think it's really fair to say that TT ignored the offensive line and protecting Favre. After all he did spend 2nd and 3rd round picks on OL who, as of now, are penciled in as the starting guards.

Only 4 other teams in the draft spent even 2 picks in the first 4 rounds on offensive linemen

Texans - Charles Spencer G Round 3 Eric Winston T Round 3
Jets - D'Brick Ferguson T Round 1 Nick Mangold C Round 1
Eagles - Winston Justice T Round 2 Jean-Gilles G Round 4
Bucs - Davin Joseph G Round 1 Jeremy Trueblood T Round 2

You could argue that TT could have went after free agent guards but tell me who you wanted. Hutchinson was way too much money. Everybody else would have had to learn the zone-blocking scheme anyways so there would still be a learning curve. If TT was right about Colledge and Spitz or Coston shows improvement we should be set at guard for the next 5-6 years.

What about Jeff Faine?

Jeff Faine was available for weeks before the draft, and would have certainly given us an affordable option at Center/guard. He also would have fit nicely into OUR ZBS.

Today Jeff Faine's penciled in as the starting center with the N.O. Saints.

T2 should have gone and got Jeff Faine, as an obvious benefit for the problems we see ongoing with OUR OL. Dam we lost Mike Flanigan and what are we with now but an unseasoned Scott Wells and Chris White.

Was that the best option to rely on an inexperienced player? T2 should have made Jeff Faine a Packer, and then dealt with OUR obvious, and ever looming need to get a young RB to develop for OUR future in this years draft.

Green and Davenport and Gado all suffered injury last season. T2 should certainly be aware of - " the RB injury to leg - two year RULE ". He has to protect the QB and the RB's with experience on the OL.

Not digress into his own ego with long terms plans via the draft predominately.

OUR OL has to be a #1 priority and served properly by OUR GM. This is fundamentle and totally sound thinking and the proper approach that cannot be ignored. T2 screwd up here again this off season and that means that taken all the good -it doesn't wash for this season.

As a fan, I expect more than T2 gave to me in ignoring OUR most important need . The OL.

Colledge and Spitz if they are normal human beings, will take two - three seasons to develop. Jeff Faine was already there and seemed a logical option for T2.

The truth is that T2 is too slow to jump in and get it done. That is a personality issue with T2, that I believe, will come more to the forefront and against OUR good fortunes as time pass's.

Zool
07-26-2006, 11:34 AM
What I dont understand is how you know for sure that he didnt go after Faine. Just because someone is a FA doesnt mean he automatically will come to GB unless we overpay for him.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
I can agree with that. If TT's philosopy is to build through the draft, then expecting him to use FA which he's admitted himself he doesn't like is a bit like expecting monkeys to eat pork. It's possible they might, but not what you should expect.

T2's Philosopy?

Philosopy Malarky ! :mrgreen:

We're stuck with his DAM Philosopy - till the rest of you get REAL.

T2's Philosopy - is in my eyes - too EGO driven.

I want to see REAL action from him. Pro-active as a GM - always with a heads up approach and outlook to get OUR team back to where we deserve to enjoy the Packers - not anymore of what doomed us last season.

Our OL for all intents and purposes ids just that.

WORSE !

That is inexcusable all on T2 - to this point in time.

Tony Oday
07-26-2006, 11:44 AM
BS Wood you want him to make big splashes in the FA market ala Minnesota and Washington. Its not going to happen. He got into this knowing he needed to revamp the entire roster to lead to future viability. He has restructured the pay-roll to keep us competative after these young guys develop to make a splash for that one or two FAs that push us over the top.

I just hope that MM keeps the same 5 guys on the line so they can learn to wrok together because that is the best way to build a line.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 12:02 PM
BS Wood you want him to make big splashes in the FA market ala Minnesota and Washington. Its not going to happen. He got into this knowing he needed to revamp the entire roster to lead to future viability. He has restructured the pay-roll to keep us competative after these young guys develop to make a splash for that one or two FAs that push us over the top.

I just hope that MM keeps the same 5 guys on the line so they can learn to wrok together because that is the best way to build a line.

Going after Jeff Faine, excuse me, wouldn't have been categorized - as a Big Splash move, Tony . Rather a prudent and Team worthy move at little more than some trade off. A draft pick had him.

He went to the Saints on a Draft day deal. If T2 didn't go for him? What's all the hush hush?

I don't have any evidence that T2 made any move for this fine young player. Faine would have been a natural fit with us and certainly after losing Mike Flanigan it was incumbant on T2 that he did strongly consider bringing Jeff Faine to Green Bay.

Nothing - T2 did squat there. That is what the record showed to me and if you have otherwise to report. PLEASE DO SO - Tony.

MJZiggy
07-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Buck, please go back and reread the FA articles. TT was quoted more than once saying that it's not like they were sitting around doing nothing. They said they were on the phone talking to agents. How do you know for sure one of those calls wasn't made to Faine's agent who politely (or not) refused the invitation to discuss a deal. You don't know what happened behind closed doors. And if the kids on this o-line gel with the vets, remember Tauscher and Clifton and Wells? and form a solid unit, I hope you will be ready to be seated at the table of crow.

Zool
07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
http://www.juneauempire.com/images/100602/crow.jpg

Caw caw

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
If TT's philosopy is to build through the draft, then expecting him to use FA which he's admitted himself he doesn't like is a bit like expecting monkeys to eat pork. It's possible they might, but not what you should expect.

I never thought about this. Are monkeys like Jews and Muslims? I have a jewish friend who eats bacon. I bet a monkey would eat bacon, especially canadian bacon that's not too greasy.

MJZiggy
07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
My assumption is that monkeys are mainly vegetarian, but if you make the pork just right, it might try a nibble, but don't expect it to be a main staple in the little guy's diet.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
You could start them out with bacon bits, those are made from soy. Before long those chimps would be eating real bacon - mark my word.

Tony Oday
07-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Wood I agree on the faine thing. it would have taken what a 4th rounder? However TT has to like Wells who reminds me of good ole bag of doughnuts! :) We have two real nice young guards that actually have skill and need to be coached up. Clifton should rebound this year and Tauch has been fantastic.

With the zone blocking it seems like we have the guys to carry it. I AGREE totally that I would rather have Whale and Hutchinson at guard! Heck I thought it would have been cool to sign Larry Allen for one or two years at guard However we are in a youth rebuilding movement. We needed to gut this team of older talent that didnt pan out.

I also reread my first post didnt mean to be that harsh.

MJZiggy
07-26-2006, 12:43 PM
You could start them out with bacon bits, those are made from soy. Before long those chimps would be eating real bacon - mark my word. But you would wind up with a sick monkey and vet bills can be really pricey.

mngolf19
07-26-2006, 12:56 PM

Exactly right, and maybe add RB. It's all about OL and DL. Without a dominant line on both sides, you will struggle.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Buck, please go back and reread the FA articles. TT was quoted more than once saying that it's not like they were sitting around doing nothing. They said they were on the phone talking to agents. How do you know for sure one of those calls wasn't made to Faine's agent who politely (or not) refused the invitation to discuss a deal. You don't know what happened behind closed doors. And if the kids on this o-line gel with the vets, remember Tauscher and Clifton and Wells? and form a solid unit, I hope you will be ready to be seated at the table of crow.

Not MJ.

I am very clear in reporting, that I wanted Jeff Faine as soon as he was reported to be asking for a trade.That was soon after 'the Browns' acquired LeCharles Bentley fr. 'the Saints', and very early in FA.

Also - I again stress that I saw zero evidence that T2 tried 'in fact' to get Jeff Faine - a young and reliable player. A first round draft pick as well. A fit for OUR obvious need.

If you MJ, or anyone else, can supply me with just that, proof that T2 attempted to acquire Jeff Faine ,then I'll be satisfied that T2 did at least make that effort, but he needed still - to come away with him. Jeff Faine was certainly ready, if not anxious to leave Cleveland.

Where is that evidence? Anyone - that T2, tried to acquire Jeff Faine? :mrgreen:

T2 tried this's or that's, without specific reference to the TRUTH of Record - mean diddly to me.

Do we have to necessarily wait for Ted Thompson's future book ?

Why I screwed up as a GM in Green Bay - and things I learned from that jk

Bossman641
07-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Wood,
So you wanted Jeff Faine? For what position? Center or guard?

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Wood I agree on the faine thing. it would have taken what a 4th rounder? However TT has to like Wells who reminds me of good ole bag of doughnuts! :) We have two real nice young guards that actually have skill and need to be coached up. Clifton should rebound this year and Tauch has been fantastic.

With the zone blocking it seems like we have the guys to carry it. I AGREE totally that I would rather have Whale and Hutchinson at guard! Heck I thought it would have been cool to sign Larry Allen for one or two years at guard However we are in a youth rebuilding movement. We needed to gut this team of older talent that didnt pan out.

I also reread my first post didnt mean to be that harsh.

It's cool Tony. Let it go man it's ALL good. :mrgreen:

If we can just get into what makes T2 - really tick?

I am - I believe in the minority here. A Packer fan that expects alot from this modern day Guru, and some want me to believe I should just trust him. Uhhhh !!

As a fan, he has to earn my trust and to date he isn't quite there. I don't appreciate diddling in the closet office types - way behind the scene types of people. I like people that are out front and searching with the fans (as should be his case) to give them - the fans the BEST possible product, in the shortest time frame possible.

I also don't appreciate a 5-7 year PLANNNNN, if that plan ignores players like Favre and Green - in on the long end of fabulous years , and still capable of performing at an outstanding level if given a REAL chance.

OUR OL this season and last, didn't give us that REAL chance. That's all too obvious to me.

Further, that this season if not last ,Ted Thompson must be held accountable for the performance of OUR offence and Team's record. The let's blame Mike Sherman thingy - is too old.

Ted Thompson needs to forget his PLAN, and get busy and make more moves before the season starts. We need help BIG TIME on the OL and at RB and WR certainly.

This is simply fundamentle, not any shocker of a brain wave. Simple stuff !

MJZiggy
07-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Unless TT were to bring in players from either Denver or Atlanta, anybody he brought in would have to learn the ZBS in 3 weeks from playbook to on-the-field performance. Who's available right now that could pull that off?

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Wood,

I wanted him to replace Mike Flanigan at Center Bossman641, but if I recall researching him correctly ( it's been about three months) it seems to me that he had some versatility and could also work at a guard position and had experience in the ZBS.

At his talent and experience and considering his size I felt we should have gotten him, as all we had was not Junius Coston (check that) who will be depth at guard but Scott Wells and Chris White. Did any of you see Wells looking really comfortable, filling in for Flanny?

Im reading that Jeff Faine will likely start at Center for the Saints.

50 Faine, Jeff - Center - 6'03'' 291 lbs - born 04/6/1981 - 4th year NFL - out of Notre Dame University

Tony Oday
07-26-2006, 02:24 PM
I think wells did very well. Like i said he reminds me of winters. not ideal size but a guy that will bite your finger in the dog piles ;)

I think Faine would have fit as the center and Winters...er I mean Wells would have played Guard because he is more versitile.

Bossman641
07-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Wood,

I wanted him to replace Mike Flanigan at Center Bossman641, but if I recall researching him correctly ( it's been about three months) it seems to me that he had some versatility and could also work at a guard position and had experience in the ZBS.

At his talent and experience and considering his size I felt we should have gotten him, as all we had was not Junius Coston (check that) who will be depth at guard but Scott Wells and Chris White. Did any of you see Wells looking really comfortable, filling in for Flanny?

Im reading that Jeff Faine will likely start at Center for the Saints.

50 Faine, Jeff - Center - 6'03'' 291 lbs - born 04/6/1981 - 4th year NFL - out of Notre Dame University

I did some research on Faine too and everything I read from scouts said that he was only a center.

Direct quote "He does not offer position versatility - strictly an OC."

So then you would have Faine starting at center. What do you do with Wells? You could move him to guard, but personally I don't like him as a guard. If you do that you have Faine and Wells lined up side by side, two undersized guys who are both susceptible to the bull rush. You've got to believe opposing coordinators would have a field day bringing pressure up the middle.

Your other option is to sit Wells and start Colledge and Spitz/Coston at guard. Is the upgrade from Wells to Faine worth a 4th round pick? Looking back at our draft that means we'd be without either Blackmon or Cory Rodgers. At this point I'd be fine without Rodgers as I don't like him at all. I think it's still too early to tell how good of a player Wells is, though.

Rastak
07-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Packers | Arth released
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:30:13 -0700

The Green Bay Packers have released QB Tom Arth.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2006, 09:22 PM
The Green Bay Packers have released QB Tom Arth.

NOOOO!!!! My money was on Arth beating out Brian Wrobel as the camp arm.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Ziggy:

POSTED: 8:02 pm EDT April 29, 2006

New York, NY -- (Sports Network) - The New Orleans Saints made a draft-day trade with the Cleveland Browns Saturday and acquired center Jeff Faine and a second-round pick for the 34th pick of the draft.

With the second-round selection acquired from New Orleans, Cleveland grabbed Maryland linebacker D'Qwell Jackson, last season's ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

In addition to Faine, the Saints received the 43rd pick of the draft, a second-round choice, and selected Alabama safety Roman Harper.

Faine will replace lineman LeCharles Bentley, a former Pro Bowl selection who signed with Cleveland in March.

Source: USA Today

Mar. 30, 2006 - 9:40 a.m. ET

The Browns have discussed trading Jeff Faine to five teams, including the Packers.

Mar. 29, 2006 - 11:20 a.m. ET

C Jeff Faine is reportedly interested in playing for the Eagles.

Philadelphia hasn't been satisfied with Hank Fraley and missed out on LeCharles Bentley. The Packers might also go after the former first-round pick out of Notre Dame.

Is that half a plate of Crow?

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 09:48 PM
"I did some research on Faine too and everything I read from scouts said that he was only a center." BossMan641

Your correct. Jeff Faine played "C" at Notre Dame and with 'the Browns'.

Before College he was a highly touted High School player who played both Center and Tackle.

I believe I read that 'the Browns' were contemplating a possible move of Faine elsewhere on their line, but he asked for a trade.

the_idle_threat
07-26-2006, 10:16 PM
You could start them out with bacon bits, those are made from soy.

Bacon bits are made from soy?

In some small, irrational way I feel cheated. :evil: