PDA

View Full Version : Packers work out Ahman Green and Dominic Rhodes today

imscott72
10-19-2009, 04:48 PM
per Bedard on Twitter..Wow, are we that desperate?

packers11
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Ryan Grant looks like Noah Herron reincarnated. Jackson is M.I.A. and Wynn looks like he lost any burst/speed he had...

A sproles/leon washington (change of pace) type RB is a need in the next draft!

get louder at lambeau
10-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Ryan Grant looks like Noah Herron reincarnated. :shock:

BallHawk
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Let's sign Green just for the hell of it. It's obvious that if we're gonna win this season it's gonna be because of the passing game, not the running game. So why not sign Green for old times sake? He can't be any worse than Wynn.

Freak Out
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Wow.....Maybe a trade is in the works to move Grant for an OL? :lol:

imscott72
10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow.....Maybe a trade is in the works to move Grant for an OL? :lol:

What kind of OG is Grant going to bring? It's not like Grant's trade value is soaring right now..We'd have to package picks and that's just not TT's style..

CaptainKickass
10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I seem to recall Ahman Green being very adept at catching the ball out of the backfield on checkdowns and of course screen passes.

No idea what he's got left, if anything, but I'd rather have him in for a workout rather than someone like Shawn Alexander.

red
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I seem to recall Ahman Green being very adept at catching the ball out of the backfield on checkdowns and of course screen passes.

No idea what he's got left, if anything, but I'd rather have him in for a workout rather than someone like Shawn Alexander.

rhodes was the same way i believe

maybe we're going back to the first years of holmgren where we couldn'r run the ball. we used the short dump off to the rb in place of the run

very interesting news

Chevelle2
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Jesus Christ....can we just trade up for CJ Spiller already?

pbmax
10-19-2009, 05:31 PM
The key problem, among the many other ones, is that Green couldn't stay healthy during his last stint. He was in and out of the lineup a lot. Even if he is an improvement, it would be back to square one after a few games while costing you a roster spot.

HarveyWallbangers
10-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I doubt this has anything to do with Grant. Injured or not, the guy is available. Can't say the same for Jackson and Wynn. Grant has played in every game with the Packers. Jackson missed 5 games as a rookie, 3 games last year, and has already missed 4 games this year. Wynn has constantly been injured. Maybe Wynn's injury is more serious than we thought or the coaches are growing tired of his act.

imscott72
10-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Now Bedard is saying the Packers might just be doing Green a favor since he still has a home here by getting his name back into circulation.

On another note Jordy was using crutches today.

SkinBasket
10-19-2009, 05:52 PM
I doubt this has anything to do with Grant. Injured or not, the guy is available. Can't say the same for Jackson and Wynn. Grant has played in every game with the Packers. Jackson missed 5 games as a rookie, 3 games last year, and has already missed 4 games this year. Wynn has constantly been injured. Maybe Wynn's injury is more serious than we thought or the coaches are growing tired of his act.

I for one would like to still have Sutton instead of 35 right now. Even if he sucks, at least he wasn't sucky and broken, which seems to be the two most highly cherished traits at the position for the Packers.

digitaldean
10-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, maybe they were just granting Green a favor. But, right now Ryan Grant looks like a RB who is declining after signing a big contract.

He drops passes, falls down after contact almost immediately and has had significantly less burst to the line than when we first traded for him.

BJack's first game back, 2 or 3 carries, 1 resulting in a fumble. Wynn is just lost out there. He had one or two good games and that's it.

If either of these guys has a spark left in them, let's use it.

imscott72
10-19-2009, 06:04 PM

I for one would like to still have Sutton instead of 35 right now. Even if he sucks, at least he wasn't sucky and broken, which seems to be the two most highly cherished traits at the position for the Packers.

Yep, Sutton would be real nice right now. Too bad he's collecting dust sitting on Carolina's bench.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Yep, Sutton would be real nice right now. Too bad he's collecting dust sitting on Carolina's bench.

Sutton sucked. And, he couldn't pass block for shit.

rbaloha1
10-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Agreed -- Sutton would have been nice. Wonder if AG still has speed?

Partial
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Didn't Green lead the Pack in receiving for a few years? He could be a solid 3rd down back.

rbaloha1
10-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Didn't Green lead the Pack in receiving for a few years? He could be a solid 3rd down back.

Certainly improved throughout his career. BF started trusting him.

Brandon494
10-19-2009, 07:50 PM

I agree, he had a few nice runs in the preseason against 3rd stringers and everyone acted like he was the next Walter Payton. You notice when he did get time with the 1st stringers he didnt do shit and also got stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1.

Fosco33
10-19-2009, 08:10 PM
the same Green who got replaced by the great Ron Dayne...

Maybe they'll cut Wynn - but then we have Grant/Jackson/Green(Rhodes). Jackson is the change of pace/3rd down?

I would to see Grant to the Saints for Steven Jackson.

I wish B Jackson could get healthy - the fumble wasn't the way to get back into playing.

Wonder if we wish we'd kept Sutton and Meredith right now??? Seems many/most here were shocked at those changes. Add to the fact that our stud FB (Quinn) hasn't played worth crap and keeping 3 FBs is also a head scratcher.

I hate questioning the all-knowing Turtle - but it seems he missed on a few fronts (keeping Bush and getting rid of Smith then trading Meredith for Martin; keeping 3 FBs and cutting a solid potential RB).

Rastak
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
The 3 fullback thing was pretty damn odd.

red
10-19-2009, 08:14 PM
ok, this might explain things. seems the packers have lost all faith in jackson, not grant

this was on rotoworld

According to beat writer Greg Bedard, the Packers "may be losing patience" with third-down back Brandon Jackson.
Bedard notes that Jackson, the club's 2007 second-round pick, was benched for fumbling with five minutes left in Week 6 against Detroit. Green Bay could replace Jackson with one of the two free agent veterans it tried out Monday.
Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter

Fosco33
10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
ok, this might explain things. seems the packers have lost all faith in jackson, not grant

this was on rotoworld

According to beat writer Greg Bedard, the Packers "may be losing patience" with third-down back Brandon Jackson.
Bedard notes that Jackson, the club's 2007 second-round pick, was benched for fumbling with five minutes left in Week 6 against Detroit. Green Bay could replace Jackson with one of the two free agent veterans it tried out Monday.
Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter

Now that's weird. Wouldn't we want a quick/small 3rd down back?? Not 2 aged, injured RBs. If we cut a 2nd rd pick for nothing, TT is definitely losing his gold ticket and punching the version where he plays his magic on another club.

red
10-19-2009, 08:22 PM
what magic?

i gave up on jackson a long time ago

he had one good cock-tease of a game. and has done absolutely nothing else

none of our current rb's are worth a squat IMO

Packers4Ever
10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Let's sign Green just for the hell of it. It's obvious that if we're gonna win this season it's gonna be because of the passing game, not the running game. So why not sign Green for old times sake? He can't be any worse than Wynn.

Age?

Height ?

Weight?

Give it a GO! :P

Brandon494
10-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Brandon Jackson might not be that good but Id rather have him over Green and Rhodes for damn sure.

Fosco33
10-19-2009, 08:37 PM
what magic?

I'm talking about TT's magic at being a GM... not BJ as a runner (i.e., all these moves have been crap and doing nothing in FA is showing to be putting GB distinctly behind the likes of Min and maybe Chi).

mission
10-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Agreed. Get rid of them all, have some tryouts = Improvement.

Has Grant broke a tackle all year? Made ANYONE miss?

I actually kinda chuckled when he got caught from behind in the 4th quarter on that run. Not that I wasn't hoping he broke it but it was the perfect play for everyone to see he's just not the answer.

As far as Bjack being the first one gone ... who knows but he wouldn't be my first shipment out of town.

1. Grant 2. Wynn 3. Jackson

We're a joke at RB ... this offense could be scary if we could make a guy miss from that position every now and then.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Wonder if any of our O line can play running back. They seem to be good at sliding by the dline line.

retailguy
10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Wonder if any of our O line can play running back. They seem to be good at sliding by the dline line.

yes, but they didn't have a ball in their arms...

Tyrone Bigguns
10-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Keen analysis, keep it up.

pbmax
10-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Run blocking wasn't the issue in the Lions game. Unless they went off-tackle Left before Clifton got hurt. There were actual holes in this game. Holes into which Grant often decided not to run.

Fritz
10-19-2009, 11:01 PM
He's been a mystery this year. What happened to the hard-running, tackle-busting guy of 07?

Grant looks s-l-o-w.

channtheman
10-20-2009, 01:13 AM

I agree, he had a few nice runs in the preseason against 3rd stringers and everyone acted like he was the next Walter Payton. You notice when he did get time with the 1st stringers he didnt do shit and also got stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1.

Well Grant and Wynn just look fucking fantastic with our first stringers don't they? And you think either Grant or Wynn would have scored on that 4th and 1?

pbmax
10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Journal Sentinel has the source of unhappiness as Wynn. Concerns about his knee and availability for 3rd downs.

retailguy
10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Brandon Jackson might not be that good but Id rather have him over Green and Rhodes for damn sure.

Not me. I think our fullbacks run better than Jackson, and that's not saying very much.

Brandon494
10-20-2009, 09:00 AM

Well Grant and Wynn just look fucking fantastic with our first stringers don't they? And you think either Grant or Wynn would have scored on that 4th and 1?

Do you even know what 4th and 1 play Im talking about? Because if you did you would realize Sutton got stuffed my a DB, so to answer your question yes Grant and Wynn would have scored.

SkinBasket
10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Do you even know what 4th and 1 play Im talking about? Because if you did you would realize Sutton got stuffed my a DB, so to answer your question yes Grant and Wynn would have scored.

If Grant is good at anything, he is good at picking up about 1 yard.

mission
10-20-2009, 09:23 AM

:rs:

(but so true)

Badgerinmaine
10-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Don't you mean the Rams?

mission
10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't you mean the Rams?

Had to be somebody ...

bobblehead
10-20-2009, 12:41 PM
what magic?

Jackson has outplayed Grant when healthy other than that fluke '07 season grant had. No comparison in catching the ball, no comparison in picking up blitzers, and comparable at running the rock at this point. Jackson's biggest problem is staying on the field and that is it.

bobblehead
10-20-2009, 12:43 PM

On 2nd and 7

channtheman
10-21-2009, 01:22 PM

You're talking about against the Cardinals right? Well I recall a linebacker coming up and stuffing him. I don't think any of your RB's would have scored on it, honestly.

denverYooper
10-21-2009, 02:57 PM

You're talking about against the Cardinals right? Well I recall a linebacker coming up and stuffing him. I don't think any of your RB's would have scored on it, honestly.

Jordy Nelson would've scored.