PDA

View Full Version : Green back with the Packers

Him8123
10-20-2009, 04:14 PM
http://twitter.com/DarkKnight1634

vince
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Ahman Green - Batman (http://vimeo.com/6943638)

pack4to84
10-20-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.sportsradio1250.com/

I think he will make a good 3rd down back for us.

imscott72
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow..Will be interesting to see how they work him in the rotation.

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Is there any "official" news on this? Like from the team?

And -

Who gets cut to make room?

Partial
10-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I personally think he is a small fraction of what he once was, but with that said I think he'll be our featured back in no time :D

Him8123
10-20-2009, 04:47 PM

And -

Greg_A_Bedard The Packers have signed RB Ahman Green, according to Sports Radio 1250AM-WSSP. http://bit.ly/wR9jt

Greg_A_Bedard Would expect the other Packers move to be DeShawn Wynn to injured reserve with a knee injury.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Nothing on Espn, jsonline, packers.com, etc.

How about one official report.

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 04:49 PM

And -

Greg_A_Bedard The Packers have signed RB Ahman Green, according to Sports Radio 1250AM-WSSP. http://bit.ly/wR9jt

Greg_A_Bedard Would expect the other Packers move to be DeShawn Wynn to injured reserve with a knee injury.

Radio talk shows don't count as "official" - even tho I'm listening to it.

Partial
Would that make three years in a row for DW on injured reserve? Cut his ass. He sucks and is an annual tease. Cut action Jackson while you're at it, too. You can find those guys on the street every day of the year.

CaptainKickass

Ditto -

I checked all the usual places.

Him8123
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I wouldn`t think Bedard would make it up. But that`s just me.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Ahman tweets 2 hours ago, and no freaking press release from the pack?

Gotta get those PR bitches to work on their pad level.

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Ditto -

As per usual - I fully expect packers.com will be the last place to post the signing.

But man - the internet sure is fucking fast. My phone's been blowing up w/ txt messages regarding this. All internet football nerds

red
10-20-2009, 04:55 PM
its good to have the best packer running back in a few decades back on the team

even if he is only a shell of his old self

CaliforniaCheez
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM
FUMBLE!!

imscott72
10-20-2009, 04:58 PM
I wouldn`t think Bedard would make it up. But that`s just me.

Bedard's reliable. If he posted it it happened..

Partial
10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Bedard is saying that it could be Wynn or Jordy Nelson moved to IR :shock: :shock:

I thought Jordy was just a few weeks?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/65073012.html

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 05:00 PM

Ditto -

As per usual - I fully expect packers.com will be the last place to post the signing.

But man - the internet sure is fucking fast. My phone's been blowing up w/ txt messages regarding this. All internet football nerds

Hunting down hunger orange hats are selling. Thanx PR bitches!!

Noodle
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm probably the biggest Ahman fan on this board, but I can't believe he has enough in the tank to do the Pack much good this year.

The one good thing about it is that this will allow him to retire as a Packer.

And maybe, just maybe, he gets the 46 yards he needs (according to Packers.com) to break Jim Taylor's all-time Packer rushing record. That would be cool.

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM
And maybe, just maybe, he gets the 46 yards he needs (according to Packers.com) to break Jim Taylor's all-time Packer rushing record. That would be cool.

I still wanna know who's gonna block and/or how this helps our Offensive lin

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 05:09 PM
JSO is citing the same source but here:

Partial

Screen pass. Ahman was a very good, complete back. Even if he doesn't have his insane speed and power anymore I cannot imagine him (at 100%) being slower or less powerful than Grant. He will be a huge upgrade as a flat/screen receiver.

retailguy

We're OK there. That's why the REDSKINS signed Levi Jones today.

Guiness
Unsure how to feel about this.

The guy was a hell of a player. I'm not sure what he can do for them now. If they're looking for receiving and blocking, why not just put an extra TE on the field for 3rd down? If Wynn is out, and they need a backup running back, is he the guy? I think they'd go with a younger guy that had some potential to grow.

Odd signing. Maybe Wynn does go on the IR, Green is a 1-2 week stopgap while they hunt down another warm body.

retailguy
10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Unsure how to feel about this.

The guy was a hell of a player. I'm not sure what he can do for them now. If they're looking for receiving and blocking, why not just put an extra TE on the field for 3rd down? If Wynn is out, and they need a backup running back, is he the guy? I think they'd go with a younger guy that had some potential to grow.

Odd signing. Maybe Wynn does go on the IR, Green is a 1-2 week stopgap while they hunt down another warm body.

wouldn't this likely be the warm body they hunted down?

denverYooper
10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Interesting. He doesn't have to be stellar to help us out. He can catch, at least. That could help with the sack woes some.

retailguy
10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Interesting. He doesn't have to be stellar to help us out. He can catch, at least. That could help with the sack woes some.

Yup. But probably not much else, unfortunately

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 05:12 PM

Screen pass. Ahman was a very good, complete back. Even if he doesn't have his insane speed and power anymore I cannot imagine him (at 100%) being slower or less powerful than Grant. He will be a huge upgrade as a flat/screen receiver.

I suppose - Its been so long that I don't recall rightly - but I feel like he could pick up the blitz back in the day.

Perhaps blocking a lineman that one of the guys up front whiffs on will be his assignment. This would free up the TE to run a route without chipping.

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Oh yeah - this immediately came to mind:

Will Kuhn give up the "#30" ???

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Bedard is saying that it could be Wynn or Jordy Nelson moved to IR :shock: :shock:

Nah can't be Jordy. Wynn most likely.

retailguy
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh yeah - this immediately came to mind:

Will Kuhn give up the "#30" ???

Was thinking about this too. Bet he does. Maybe someone else will get a down payment for their habitat for humanity house!

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm probably the biggest Ahman fan on this board, but I can't believe he has enough in the tank to do the Pack much good this year.

Considering none of the other teams in the NFL thought he did either, I'm not expecting much. Nothing to risk anyway if they have to put someone on IR so we'll see what happens.

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I'd still rather have Sutton.

retailguy
10-20-2009, 05:21 PM

not me.

CaptainKickass
10-20-2009, 05:23 PM

Maybe if I were on serious drugs. But right now - no.

I sure hope AG has something left in the tank. I know he's always been a workout warrior, but is he in "football shape"??

curiouser and curiouser...

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:24 PM

not me.

Why not? Green wasn't wanted by any other team and appeared to be done in Houston. Sutton had a great camp for us, is younger, and can offer more imo. Of course I'm thinking about the future too, not just the next 11 games..

retailguy
10-20-2009, 05:28 PM

not me.

Why not? Green wasn't wanted by any other team and appeared to be done in Houston. Sutton had a great camp for us, is younger, and can offer more imo. Of course I'm thinking about the future too, not just the next 11 games..

sutton looked like an all-pro against the 3rd teamers, but sucked against the 1st and 2nd teamers. He couldn't break a tackle for anything. He was a "feel good" training camp story, and that's about it.

Ahman can catch the ball out of the backfield. We don't have anyone that can do that right now.

Noodle
10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Green was pretty dang good at blitz pickup, and folks are right that he had good hands out of the backfield.

Cripes, I think he led the team in catches a year or two, which I don't think another Packer RB has done since the passing game heated up in the 1980s.

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM

not me.

sutton looked like an all-pro against the 3rd teamers, but sucked against the 1st and 2nd teamers.

Yea but given the state of our offensive line so you really think that was all on him?

sheepshead
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Donny Anderson just called....

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Someone give Desmond a call too..too bad we didn't sign Rossum. We really could of lived in the past.

mmmdk
Clutching at straws.

Guiness
Well, it's on Wikipedia now, so it must've happened.

(ok, ok, I updated the page myself...)

Freak Out
10-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Bittersweet signing.....the guy hardly played last year so didn't take a beating...at least on the field. :lol:

Who knows....maybe the guy has something left?

What happened with him at Houston last year? Did he get hurt again?

HarveyWallbangers
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Batman was one of my all-time favorite Packers. I don't know if he'll help, but I'm rooting for him to get the rushing record.

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Radio station 1250 AM WSSP in Milwaukee is reporting the Packers have signed RB Ahman Green. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, no decision has been finalized yet.
The team is likely holding off while they make a decision on DeShawn Wynn, who recently aggravated a training camp knee injury. Ryan Grant owners shouldn't be concerned if the team does sign Green. While the 32-year-old was effective in spot duty last season, he's not even close to durable enough to threaten Grant's job. He is, however, a direct threat to Brandon Jackson's third-down role.

mmmdk
10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Batman was one of my all-time favorite Packers. I don't know if he'll help, but I'm rooting for him to get the rushing record.

Can Jim still play?

denverYooper
10-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Someone give Desmond a call too..too bad we didn't sign Rossum. We really could of lived in the past.

Ahhhh, gettin' the band back together!

Jake: Look at you, in those candy-assed monkey suits. And I thought I had it bad in Joliet.
Too Big Hall: At least we got a change of clothes. You're wearing the same shit you had on three years ago.
Duck Dunn: Jake ain't lying though. We had a sound powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline

pack4to84
10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
A.Green needs 46 yard to pass Jim Taylor as the all time leading rusher in Packer history.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/career-rushing.htm

imscott72
10-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Now Bedard is reporting no deal may take place..

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
What a surprise. :roll:

Fosco33
10-20-2009, 06:26 PM
How is an old, injured RB a 3rd down back?

I think of a 3rd down back as very young, fast... not AG.

Also - how'd he do in Texas ZBS? 3.7-4.0 on limited action.

I'd rather have Sutton...

sunflower100
10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Somebody on another webblog posted this. I don't live in WI, so I don' t here the local radio stations up there. So don't know if that is true or not.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Steve Haywood from ESPN 540AM reports Green will be signed in the morning.

Packers4Ever
10-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Hey wait guys !! He's only 32 ---- :D

rbaloha1
10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Good move. Anxious to see what AG has left.

Packers4Ever
10-20-2009, 08:30 PM

Nah can't be Jordy. Wynn most likely.

Jordy's hurt, for right now anyway.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 08:35 PM

good move?

Has anybody actually seen an official announcement of any sort about a signing?

Packers4Ever
10-20-2009, 08:44 PM

The old boy might surprise us :wink:

Might be more there than you think !!

Fritz
10-20-2009, 08:59 PM

What?? They re-signed John Brockington??

Rastak
10-20-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Biggs-No-deal-yet-for-Ahman-Green-in-Green-Bay.html

The Green Bay Packers brought in Ahman Green for a look on Monday but a broadcast report tonight that the veteran running back has returned to the team he once starred for is not accurate.

There is a chance Green could sign with the Packers on Wednesday, a source said, but nothing is in place yet and Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Green’s agent Joby Branion also denied there being an agreement.

“Nothing's happened,” Branion told Bedard via email. “Don't know if anything will happen (Wednesday), either.”

Green Bay also kicked the tires on Dominic Rhodes, and the team is concerned about the health of backup running back DeShawn Wynn, who has missed the last two games with a knee injury. According to Bedard, Wynn will be re-evaluated on Wednesday. Obviously, the team will have a sudden need if he is placed on injured reserve.

pbmax
10-20-2009, 09:09 PM

Sutton could not pass block. That makes him too much like a lineman and not enough like a RB for the Packers taste. :lol:

pbmax
10-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Bedard and JSO now have it on hold as well. Rob Demovsky noted it isn't done for the Press Gazette.

Wilde said one of the things they are taking into consideration is kick returning. Since TWill is essentially a starter at over 50% of snaps, having him do both punt and kickoff returns could be risky. But his backups are Woodson for punt returns and the third string RB for kickoffs. Since Wynn is hurt, Jackson cannot be risked as he is the only RB backup.

So to deal effectively with kick returns, they need a healthy #3 RB.

Fosco33
10-20-2009, 09:40 PM

Sutton could not pass block. That makes him too much like a lineman and not enough like a RB for the Packers taste. :lol:

Classic... what about Lumpkin? Is he a lineman too?? :lol:

We could always move him up from PS.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Money Morency to the rescue!!!!!!!

Partial
10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Money Morency to the rescue!!!!!!!

He would be a more economic solution than say trading for McFadden for about the same production.

Freak Out
10-20-2009, 09:59 PM

What does this say about Lumpy? ...is the guy hurt or is he just that bad?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Whisper Goodman cleared of assualt charges? Bring him in!!!

Badgerinmaine
10-20-2009, 10:15 PM

:lol:
He's no good without MacArthur Lane in the backfield with him--gotta be a package deal. :-)

imscott72
10-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Bedard is reporting Green is telling ex-teammates that the deal is done. He's got a playbook and is studying tonight..

Partial
10-20-2009, 10:28 PM
It's gotta be done. He wouldn't have wrote that on Twitter if it wasn't basically a done deal.

Guiness
10-20-2009, 10:28 PM

True - not sure what the point of keeping him on the PS is if they don't intend on bringing him up when needed.

sheepshead
10-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Partial (VY = Unitas / Rodgers = Scott Hunter) is trying, right now to write-in Green in his fantasy team.

pbmax
10-21-2009, 08:31 AM

True - not sure what the point of keeping him on the PS is if they don't intend on bringing him up when needed.
Do you remember Lumpy on kickoffs? Very slow.

Sparkey
10-21-2009, 08:41 AM

:lol:
He's no good without MacArthur Lane in the backfield with him--gotta be a package deal. :-)

Terdell Middleton
Eddie Lee Ivory
Paul Ott Caruth

and the list goes on and on .................

Bretsky
10-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Green on one leg is the same as Wynn; I think HH is Wynn's only backer left. Just sign him already

Deputy Nutz
10-21-2009, 08:55 AM
This is just pathetic.

Badgerinmaine
10-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Terdell Middleton
Eddie Lee Ivory
Paul Ott Caruth

and the list goes on and on .................

How about Pookie Workman? 8-)

CaptainKickass
10-21-2009, 10:24 AM
It's officially, official:

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2009/10/21/1/

Wynn goes to IR.

sheepshead
10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Done deal--wynn on IR

sheepshead
10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Jimmy Taylor's pissed.

CaptainKickass
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
WTF?

"Green will wear # 34"

WTF?

red
10-21-2009, 10:48 AM
welcome back batman

http://www.personal.psu.edu/scd5029/blogs/shc/batsignal.jpg

MichiganPackerFan
10-21-2009, 11:18 AM
A lot of you/us asked for TT to go out and get some veteran backups. Here's one. I thought by the end of his tenure he was losing a step and was starting to get hurt. However, if I recall, he always kept himself in top shape. Not bad for a backup and by taking #34, it probably indicates he's willing to accept the role of a backup.

Partial
10-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Cannot believe they didn't give him 30. Kind of appauled, as a matter of fact. Kuhn is just a guy; Green is a legendary Packer. That bro needs to learn some respect.

Zool
10-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Cannot believe they didn't give him 30. Kind of appauled, as a matter of fact. Kuhn is just a guy; Green is a legendary Packer. That bro needs to learn some respect.

Greens contract must not be large if he wasn't willing to pony up the dough to get 30 back.

rbaloha1
10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Why the lack of love? Lets wait until we see batman on the field. Gee Whiz lets trust TT on this one.

Sparkey
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
http://business4.odc.net/ahman302_v255/commerce/images/upload/photos/up_239143083.jpg

I'm BATMAN dammit!

mmmdk
10-21-2009, 12:19 PM
This is weird; Ahman might actually be an upgrade :shock:

denverYooper
10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I like this move for a couple of reasons:

1.) Brings a good veteran to the RB group and hopefully he'll serve as a player-coach. Maybe he can help Grant and BJack raise their games. I'm especially interested to know if he'll rub off on Jackson.

2.) He was a complete back -- he could run, catch, and block. I don't expect him to come out and light it up as in the days of yore. As long as he's still at least competent in each of those things he gives defenses one more option to think about. He can be a help in the short passing game and on 3rd downs.

[tinfoil hat time]
I'm interested to see if he plays this week to knock the rust off, and if he gets within a few yards of the GB rushing record. How nuts would that be if he goes into the Minny game needing only 10 yards to break the GB record?
[\tinfoil hat time]

The_Dude
10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I like the signing. Bringing a veteran guy finally and allows him to break the record hopefully. I was little sad that he left when he did with only 46 yards to break the packer record.

I'm ok with the number. Wonder if he can get some Edgar Bennett magic since they now will have shared the number 34.

mmmdk
10-21-2009, 12:40 PM

If Bert came back he could have his "respectful" # 4 but he'd have to wear a jester's outfit for uniform and a pointed hat with ears for helmet. Tar and feathers too.

Welcome back, Ahman Green, to # 34 and the Green'n'Gold uniform.

Lurker64
10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I hope he's still got something in the tank. The Packers worked him out on Monday, so they'd know better than I would.

denverYooper
10-21-2009, 01:06 PM
I'd heard that 34 was Green's # in High School. Can anyone verify that?

Guiness
10-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I miss the way he would 'levitate' an LB. I'd love to see that at least once more.

SkinBasket
10-21-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm especially interested to know if he'll rub off on Jackson.

Me too...

packerbacker1234
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Solid signing. Wynn was hurt again, and hasn't provided us anything in a backup role in three seasons. Green has experience with some of the players on the team, in a packers all time great, and is just 2 years removed from the last time he was good. RB's going to the Texans and Raiders = end of career, generally. Maybe he can be just what need.

Thing Edge for the cardinals last year. He was hurt most the year, came back later in the season and fully refreshed after being garbage for a year or two, and helped really push the cards into the Super Bowl. He played very well, as a rested veteran. I am positive Green can't handle the load as a full time back for a whole season, but coming back at this part of the season is good. He is refreshed and may still have something left in the tank. If you remember, he's been hurt the last 2 seasons, so he didn't really take a lot of punishment.

He could still ahve something left. I like a 1 2 punch of Grant and Green. I think this is a clear upgrade in personel, and I applaud TT for pulling the trigger.

Cheesehead Craig
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I too hope that he can come in and give some fresh legs and some solid runs as well. I hope he rubs off more on Grant than Jackson as Grant needs to learn how to see the hole better.

mission
10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
As much as this isn't that comforting of a move, I have a hard time believing Ahman, with a year off of work (rest?), wouldn't be a significant improvement over Wynn.

I have seen NOTHING from Wynn outside of a spin move for 6 yards in the preseason to think he's anything but a fat, slow, underachieving piece of shit.

Welcome back, Batman!

cheesner
10-21-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm especially interested to know if he'll rub off on Jackson.

Me too...No more talk of rubbing off on anyone, else the nose on Basket's AVATAR is going to be pointing to the top of your computer screen.

bobblehead
10-21-2009, 04:17 PM

First off, did Green ASK for #30?? Second, who is likely to be with the packers longer at this point?

Your appauled?? Honestly, that is funny. You are right though, mid season they Pack should have yanked #30 from a guy who has given his all to the team for the last couple seasons to give to a guy who is likely happy to just be on a roster again so that next camp they can turn around and give #30 to someone else when Green likely retires.

Partial
10-21-2009, 04:27 PM

First off, did Green ASK for #30?? Second, who is likely to be with the packers longer at this point?

Your appauled?? Honestly, that is funny. You are right though, mid season they Pack should have yanked #30 from a guy who has given his all to the team for the last couple seasons to give to a guy who is likely happy to just be on a roster again so that next camp they can turn around and give #30 to someone else when Green likely retires.

Kuhn sucks. He's just a guy. Green has earned the right to his number and retire as a Packer. Let's not forget he is going to become the leading rusher in the long, tradition filled history of the GBP. He was an elite player.

FritzDontBlitz
10-21-2009, 04:28 PM
My initial reaction? At least now Aaron Rodgers will have one dependable pass blocker.

Sparkey
10-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Kuhn sucks. He's just a guy. Green has earned the right to his number and retire as a Packer. Let's not forget he is going to become the leading rusher in the long, tradition filled history of the GBP. He was an elite player.

Past tense means he is now, in your words, "just a guy".

But nice call Matt Mil... er partial.

Lurker64
10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
IIRC, the Packers cannot take #30 away from Kuhn and give it to Green without cutting Kuhn. If Green wants #30 badly, he and Kuhn will have to figure it out. It's entirely probable that Green just doesn't care, and he's just happy to be on a roster, in which case there's nothing to get upset about.

Anybody who honestly thinks we should cut John Kuhn in order to give Ahman Green his number back is a nutbag.

Partial
10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
IIRC, the Packers cannot take #30 away from Kuhn and give it to Green without cutting Kuhn. If Green wants #30 badly, he and Kuhn will have to figure it out. It's entirely probable that Green just doesn't care, and he's just happy to be on a roster, in which case there's nothing to get upset about.

Anybody who honestly thinks we should cut John Kuhn in order to give Ahman Green his number back is a nutbag.

Agreed, but Kuhn is a nutbag for biting his thumb at the proud tradition of the Packers. He's a nobody in the presence of a GBP legend. I would gladly offer up my number in that case.

Lurker64
10-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Agreed, but Kuhn is a nutbag for biting his thumb at the proud tradition of the Packers. He's a nobody in the presence of a GBP legend. I would gladly offer up my number in that case.

Do you know that he hasn't? It's entirely possible that Kuhn asked Green if he wanted 30 and Green said something to the effect of "no thanks, it's yours now". The Packers had to give him a number when they signed him, and they couldn't give him a number that was currently assigned. What happens to those numbers later is up the the Players, less so the Packers. Green's been a Packer (again) for all of eight hours now? It's entirely possible that he's too busy trying to get caught up to speed that he doesn't have time to worry about his jersey number.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Legend. :lol:

BallHawk
10-21-2009, 05:23 PM

We signed him in the last 24 hours and you'll already jumping to conclusions? Typical. If Kuhn gives his number to Green it will be out of a respectful gesture, not because he owes his number to him or shit like that. Green, while he's one of the greatest RBs in Packer history, is just another one of the 53 guys out there on Sunday. No special treatment. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Kuhn and Green work out something for the number. That is, if Ahman really cares about it.

Also, Kuhn does not suck. He's the best FB on this team. Better than your boy Quinn Johnson. :roll:

Packerarcher
10-21-2009, 05:58 PM

We signed him in the last 24 hours and you'll already jumping to conclusions? Typical. If Kuhn gives his number to Green it will be out of a respectful gesture, not because he owes his number to him or shit like that. Green, while he's one of the greatest RBs in Packer history, is just another one of the 53 guys out there on Sunday. No special treatment. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Kuhn and Green work out something for the number. That is, if Ahman really cares about it.

Also, Kuhn does not suck. He's the best FB on this team. Better than your boy Quinn Johnson. :roll:

Give Johnson the time Kuhn has had and he will be light years ahead.

Noodle
10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I'd heard that 34 was Green's # in High School. Can anyone verify that?

This is true. He wore 34 at Omaha Central, 30 at NU, and, of course, 30 with the Pack.

To be honest, at the time I was a little ticked at the Packers for giving a friggin rook, Kuhn, the number as soon as Ahman was gone. I thought that, at a minimum, they should have kept that one on the shelf for a season or two.

As folks here know, players do care about numbers, a lot. But I'm guessing Green is cool with 34. He changed from 34 to 30 at NU because a sophomore TE already had 34 when Green was a freshman. And after all, wearing that 34, he was named a High School All-American and was the Nebraska HS Player of the Year.

sharpe1027
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
It is quite possible that Green just doesn't care. Relax people/partial.

packerbacker1234
10-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Green said today that he hasn't really asked for the number back, and many players commented that is was pretty weird not seeing him with it. He said he may work something out, but that it's not a big deal. He apparently has not asked for the number back, and no they don't have to cut Kuhn to give it to him. He can respectfully offer it to Green and then simply get the number back whenever Green retires.

Green is 32, and if he shows he can still play, there is absolutely no guarentee he retires after this season.

Lurker64
10-21-2009, 08:12 PM
and no they don't have to cut Kuhn to give it to him. He can respectfully offer it to Green and then simply get the number back whenever Green retires

The point I was making is that the Packers Organization cannot take Kuhn's number away from him as long as he is on the roster. Kuhn can give away his number if he wants, but Mike McCarthy, Ted Thompson, etc. can't take it away from him.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Green, if he wants it, should pay kuhn. That is the way it is done. Ahman made enough flow to afford a 20-30K payment to Kuhn.

As for what he what he can do or how many years with the pack going forward...some people are living in a fantasy world. He has had 1 average year in the past 4. The past two were miserable

If this aint' his last go round with us, then we are really in trouble.

green_bowl_packer
10-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Wasn't it AG's pre-game ritual to watch a Walter Payton (34) video, as that was his idol growing up?

gbgary
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
wow...ahman green. whodathunkit! i'll bet he surprises us.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-21-2009, 08:44 PM

What is the bet? How much? And, what constitutes a surprise?

retailguy
10-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Wasn't it AG's pre-game ritual to watch a Walter Payton (34) video, as that was his idol growing up?

yup.

mmmdk
10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
AG said about wearing # 34:

"I know, that's what I've been getting all day, practice started. I know Kuhn has 30, and it doesn't really matter to me right now. If he wants to keep 30, no problem. 34, Walter Payton was my guy."

AG isn't being partial and a d!ckhead about # 34.

Zool
10-22-2009, 12:04 AM

What is the bet? How much? And, what constitutes a surprise?

If we can put some parameters on this "surprise" im down for a wager.

HarveyWallbangers
10-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Interesting stat.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/65862737.html

Another area where Green can help is running to the left side, a problem for the Packers this season. According to the NFL's statistical database, the Packers average 2.67 yards when they run at the left guard, 3.18 at left tackle and 3.52 at left end. All of their runs to the right and middle average more than 4 yards.

Green is left-handed and it's more natural for him to turn that direction. During his record-breaking 2003 season, he averaged 8.78 yards running off left tackle and just over 4.0 at left end and left guard.

pbmax
10-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Interesting stat.

Another area where Green can help is running to the left side, a problem for the Packers this season. According to the NFL's statistical database, the Packers average 2.67 yards when they run at the left guard, 3.18 at left tackle and 3.52 at left end. All of their runs to the right and middle average more than 4 yards.

Green is left-handed and it's more natural for him to turn that direction. During his record-breaking 2003 season, he averaged 8.78 yards running off left tackle and just over 4.0 at left end and left guard.
Unfortunately, this is known inside the team as "the Chad Clifton" effect. I would bet this looks better for the Browns game, assuming Lang starts at LT.

Packers4Ever
10-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Why the lack of love? Lets wait until we see batman on the field. Gee Whiz lets trust TT on this one.

Maybe after all this time the number just didn't mean that much anymore?
Depends on the person - some might be real bothered, some might handle it just fine.

bobblehead
10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Interesting stat.

Unfortunately, this is known inside the team as "the Chad Clifton" effect. I would bet this looks better for the Browns game, assuming Lang starts at LT.

It would be funny if green got the carries and credit

pbmax
10-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Interesting stat.

It would be funny if green got the carries and credit
Let's remember this prediction then. :lol:

But seriously, I think this will still be evident as the coaches are going to put Clifton out there as soon as he can practice. Unless Lang is the surprise new Left Tackle of the decade, we will have a comparison.

And this isn't new, although age has not made it better. Running to the Offense's left has been less effective than going right since Clifton began to start. In Sherman's time, the credit was given to Rivera, a pulling Wahle and Tauscher (and Kevin Barry) in that order. But running left was a secondary concern even for that tremendous O line group.

Smidgeon
10-27-2009, 11:01 PM
I know that the AG signing is old news by now, but the thing that I am most excited about with him is his vision. He knew how to run. He had the patience on the screens and the charge-ahead moxie for the between-the-tackles running. He may now be injury-prone, old, and have lost a step (no idea--just surmising), but that vision will still be there. I'm simply hoping that it rubs off on Grant or BJack or both. Maybe if they see someone doing it the way they're supposed to, something will trigger. That's my hope.

Of course, that's also the RB coach's responsibility, so I don't know if it will actually work out like that...

In other news, AP these days reminds me a lot of AG from 2003. He runs hard, is a homerun threat from anywhere on the field, seems to fumble a bit, and always held the ball in his right hand even when running to the left (I think AG was always in the left hand running to the right). Yeah, that's just a casual observation, but there it is.

MJZiggy
10-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Welcome to the forum, Smidgeon. I can only think having the old vet running through drills with the kids will help them see what he sees. The coaches can tell them, but he'll be out there running the drills with them.

Smidgeon
10-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the forum, Smidgeon. I can only think having the old vet running through drills with the kids will help them see what he sees. The coaches can tell them, but he'll be out there running the drills with them.

Thanks. Glad to be here.

Yeah. That's what I mean. One of my biggest knocks on RG is his lack of vision to the holes. I don't remember AG having that same thing. How many times did he hit a hole hard and take it to the house? It was frequent to say the least. RG's longest run last year was 57 yards...in the first game. I'm hoping something comes out of this particular veteran presence.