PDA

View Full Version : NETBOOKS

Bretsky
10-20-2009, 10:22 PM
ANYBODY have these.........good and bad experiences

Here's the thing

We have one stellar PC and a solid laptop...but trying to get cheap access for the kids.

Tried moving old PC downstairs but wireless connection is too weak with a solid router and good NIC card in the PC

So now looking into netbooks. I think I've seen the lowest end ones for around $200 and to me that should be fine for the kids....but not sure.

Dell has one for three hundred...but hell if you are going to spend that you might as well but another laptop.

Any experiences with these ?

Partial
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Save your money. They're slow and painful to use. I've had two and both were crappy experiences.

The processors are incredibly slow... like Pentium 3 slow aka years and years ago. It's an awful experience.

Pass.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I've got the Dell with the 12 inch screen.

Friend has the Acer, she likes it.

MJZiggy
10-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Former inlaws have it. They like it. (remember, it's really only for surfing.)

Kiwon
10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I bought an ASUS EEE PC-1000H almost a year ago for when I travel.

10 inches and light. It has been working just fine.

red
10-20-2009, 11:09 PM
i just read an article the other day that compaq is gonna be coming out with new cheap laptops to compete with the netbooks

these are gonna be regular size laptops with all the bells and whistles (they'll just be like 2gb with 150gb hard drives)

they'll have windows 7 and will be coming out when 7 comes out in a few weeks

i think the laptops are around 400, and they have a desktop version for close to 300

i'll see if i can find the article

red
10-20-2009, 11:11 PM
here it is

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/152839

just something else to think about

oh and they'll be out in 2 days, not 2 weeks

Scott Campbell
10-20-2009, 11:27 PM
There's a bunch of new releases scheduled for Thursday along with Windows 7. Many of these new units solve the issues P is speaking about, and are well suited to much more than just surfing the web. They're getting away from the low resolution 10" netbook screens and snail like Atom processor, and most of the new ones are using an 11.6 higher resolution screen that eliminates most of the web page rendering and scrolling issues that many people complained about. They won't be mistaken for a gaming laptop, but they are now multitasking and playing stutter free HD video. The original single core Acer 1410 was very well received, but I understand they're refreshing it with a dual core and it'll retail for $399. That might be worth looking into.

Scott Campbell
10-20-2009, 11:35 PM
B,

I re-read your post, and think you might want to consider just going with a full size laptop. The reason most people buy netbooks is for extra small portability and 8-12 hour battery life. That's probably not a critical consideration for your kids, and you can get a full sized and faster laptop for close to what you mentioned earlier.

Bretsky
10-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm a bit torn as I'm pondering buying two of these...one for the five year old and one for the eight year old......only for surfing.

Friends told me I can find these for two hundred range so I've been looking around and this is all I've found so far

http://dailywish.amexnetwork.com/default.aspx?cc=2&&ct=3

For myself or wifee we'd go the laptop route

Freak Out
10-21-2009, 12:14 AM
How much are you willing to spend and what are they going to do with it?

Edit: I saw the surfing bit.....

How much $$$? As little as possible?

MJZiggy
10-21-2009, 06:29 AM
I'm a bit torn as I'm pondering buying two of these...one for the five year old and one for the eight year old......only for surfing.

Friends told me I can find these for two hundred range so I've been looking around and this is all I've found so far

What's the 5-year-old gonna be surfing for? I didn't even let mine near a connection at that age...

SkinBasket
10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
My wife just got a refirb Dell mini10 for work travel for about 220 after a discount code. It's small, light, and not too slow for running the basics. I hate the mousepad, and it still inexplicably fights against our home network despite a few hours of reconfiguring the netbook and the router. I chalk that up mainly to the Dell "easy to use" network connection software integrated into the thing that's almost impossible to disable. Other than that, the battery seems to last forever and it doesn't have a problem running anything on the interweb, albeit at the cost of an extra couple seconds. Overall, I would give it a 6/10 considering price and expectation.

Scott Campbell
10-21-2009, 08:34 AM

I'd suggest going to Best Buy and playing with one that has the same size and resolution screen to see if you're really ok with web browsing on it. I've heard that's a major complaint of today's netbooks. Or maybe buy one from Costco or somewhere that has a decent return policy so you have options if it doesn't work out as well as you're hoping.

Bretsky
10-21-2009, 08:49 AM
How much are you willing to spend and what are they going to do with it?

Edit: I saw the surfing bit.....

How much $$$? As little as possible?

Honestly, I'm trying to buy 2 so spending as little as possible since as all they will be doing is going on little kid websites and playing kid games with sound

Bretsky
10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
To preface this for Ziggy....the five year old is a bit odd; she wants to be smarter than her eight year old sister now. If we had somebody at home with her now she'd already be reading. She's up to three letter words already. She is able to boot up the pc, go to favorites, ID a few of her websites, and independantly play games.........I worry an expensive college might be down the road

Zool
10-21-2009, 09:39 AM
I hear ya B. I found an old Powerbook for my 5 year old. She's on Webkins and Nick.com quite a bit. She's been reading for a couple years already. I'm hoping for scholarships.

Had a netbook for a bit. The MSI one. My friend let me use it for a couple weeks to see if I liked it. Its faster than I expected. For internet surfing portability its well worth it.

Partial
10-21-2009, 11:27 AM
My wife just got a refirb Dell mini10 for work travel for about 220 after a discount code. It's small, light, and not too slow for running the basics. I hate the mousepad, and it still inexplicably fights against our home network despite a few hours of reconfiguring the netbook and the router. I chalk that up mainly to the Dell "easy to use" network connection software integrated into the thing that's almost impossible to disable. Other than that, the battery seems to last forever and it doesn't have a problem running anything on the interweb, albeit at the cost of an extra couple seconds. Overall, I would give it a 6/10 considering price and expectation.

Yeah I would say about the same with the Mini9. They're just painfully slow even with 2gb of ram and a Runcore 32gb SSD. The keyboard is miserable. The 12" might be better because they can get a full-size keyboard on them.

Freak Out
10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I would not get them a netbook if I bought TODAY......I would go to Dell or HP or Acer and get a base 15 and upgrade the CPU to the cheapest dual core and go for it. That would run about $400 a machine with Windows 7 64 bit. You have to remember the netbooks have no built in optical drive which would blow for the kids.

Wait a week or two and you might see some better deals but not that much better.

CaptainKickass
10-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Get the kids involved in technology as soon as possible, and as often as possible.

I got my 9 yr old nephew involved at age 5, and now he's the tech guru of the household. My sister ain't too happy about it - but this is only because she's that old school and still believes that the internet is "evil".

There are a billion benefits to getting kids involved in tech early and often, particularly with an eye on their future - where the difference between surviving and living well will be, and perhaps already is - their ability to comprehend, use and create with technology.

3irty1
10-21-2009, 12:13 PM
wait and try this

http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en

Partial
10-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I would not get them a netbook if I bought TODAY......I would go to Dell or HP or Acer and get a base 15 and upgrade the CPU to the cheapest dual core and go for it. That would run about $400 a machine with Windows 7 64 bit. You have to remember the netbooks have no built in optical drive which would blow for the kids.

Wait a week or two and you might see some better deals but not that much better.

15" is gigantic. Go with a 12". Other than that, I completely agree with this.

wait and try this

http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en

Who would buy that? Hardware looks like shit.

Freak Out
10-21-2009, 05:20 PM

wait and try this

But the 12" - 14" inch machines tend to bump the price up to much for his budget....and when the kids are slinging juice and such all over the machine cheaper is better. :lol: Bretsky you better get them some Sippy cups for computer use.

Partial
10-21-2009, 05:23 PM

wait and try this

But the 12" - 14" inch machines tend to bump the price up to much for his budget....and when the kids are slinging juice and such all over the machine cheaper is better. :lol: Bretsky you better get them some Sippy cups for computer use.

That is true, the 15" will likely be cheaper, I wasn't factoring in price.

12" widescreen with 1440-9xx or 1680x1050 pixels is the perfect size but no one makes them. They would make a killing if they did.

digitaldean
10-21-2009, 07:57 PM
My wife won two Asus eeePC's earlier this year. They are OK and handy, just use common sense with your wireless network at home or wireless surfing on the road with it. Since it uses Windows XP there are more than a few security holes with them.

All in all they are pretty decent machines, given there purpose.

Partial
10-21-2009, 08:42 PM
I cannot believe this many people like them. The keyboards and trackpads are horrendous. That is the biggest complaint. That, and just about every website, including this one, requires horizontal scrolling, which is just a really bad thing from all user experience stand points.

retailguy
10-21-2009, 08:48 PM
I cannot believe this many people like them. The keyboards and trackpads are horrendous. That is the biggest complaint. That, and just about every website, including this one, requires horizontal scrolling, which is just a really bad thing from all user experience stand points.

they work well for what they're designed for. My wife has an older (now) eee pc, and we travel with it. Our girls use it for email occasionally, and they do research for school.

I don't really care if the trackpad is difficult to use, and I certainly don't care about scrolling on websites. We aren't on the thing longer than 20 minutes at a time, and we're certainly not working off the thing.

My wife also has a 12.1 in HP, that she absolutely loves. Uses it all the time. Keyboard is too small for me, but it works well for her.

Partial, the things that are important to you don't even concern most of us.

Partial
10-21-2009, 08:52 PM

they work well for what they're designed for. My wife has an older (now) eee pc, and we travel with it. Our girls use it for email occasionally, and they do research for school.

I don't really care if the trackpad is difficult to use, and I certainly don't care about scrolling on websites. We aren't on the thing longer than 20 minutes at a time, and we're certainly not working off the thing.

My wife also has a 12.1 in HP, that she absolutely loves. Uses it all the time. Keyboard is too small for me, but it works well for her.

How can you say, post here for 20 minutes, for example? I cannot.

My fingers are too big so I have to hunt and peck on the keys. I have the dell mini 9 with the fricking quote key next to the right alt (of all the freaking places it could go).

You can barely surf because the track pad is just so awkward and clunky, and then when you can scroll vertically, you need to use the arrow keys to surf left and right.

I don't know, for me, it just doesn't work well enough to justify using it. I bought the mini9 to play around with hackintoshing it and have just not had the time to set it up and sell it yet, but it will be a nice day when it's gone.

12" widescreen is the perfect size for a reasonably powerful comp. The only problem is the only one that makes one anymore is Sony and they're about 2.5k minimum from what I hear.

retailguy
10-21-2009, 08:56 PM

How can you say, post here for 20 minutes, for example? I cannot.

My fingers are too big so I have to hunt and peck on the keys. I have the dell mini 9 with the fricking quote key next to the right alt (of all the freaking places it could go).

You can barely surf because the track pad is just so awkward and clunky, and then when you can scroll vertically, you need to use the arrow keys to surf left and right.

I don't know, for me, it just doesn't work well enough to justify using it. I bought the mini9 to play around with hackintoshing it and have just not had the time to set it up and sell it yet, but it will be a nice day when it's gone.

12" widescreen is the perfect size for a reasonably powerful comp. The only problem is the only one that makes one anymore is Sony and they're about 2.5k minimum from what I hear.

Not true. I bought the HP DV-2 in June for her. Kind of behind a bit on technology but plenty for what she needs. You can read about it here.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4963&review=hp+pavilion+dv2

again (netbook) - we don't post here, we email, look for hotel rooms, look for school work, etc. My 11 and 13 year olds don't have large hands either.

Partial
10-21-2009, 09:09 PM
That's actually not a bad notebook. I could get down with the size of that, I guess.

retailguy
10-21-2009, 09:10 PM
That's actually not a bad notebook. I could get down with the size of that, I guess.

the best part? Under 650, now under 600, and not a mac. :wink:

seriously. she loves the thing. never puts it down.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-21-2009, 10:00 PM

I've got the 12 inch Dell, obviously full size keyboard, and the trackpad works just fine and i have only encountered one site that requried horizontal scrolling.

ty has 2 friends that have Macs that love their little netbooks...perfect for travel, perfect for resting on their laps while watching tv, etc.

they also just got rid of their iphones and got palm pres..and like the pre more.

Partial
10-21-2009, 10:29 PM

I've got the 12 inch Dell, obviously full size keyboard, and the trackpad works just fine and i have only encountered one site that requried horizontal scrolling.

ty has 2 friends that have Macs that love their little netbooks...perfect for travel, perfect for resting on their laps while watching tv, etc.

they also just got rid of their iphones and got palm pres..and like the pre more.

The 12" has a higher res, though, I think at least, than the 600 by 1024 that is the 9 and 10" variants.

Good for your friends. I don't know what your point is, I could not care less, it is clear they're in the minority as the iPhone is the hottest phone out right now despite being on the shittiest network.

I'm gonna get a Pre or a Pixi unless some Android phone really knocks my socks off. I really did not like my Centro so I'm skeptical of Palm, but if Android doesn't have multitouch (it's built into the hardware but disabled in the software so they don't get sued by Apple like Palm is), that is a deal breaker for me as multi-touch takes the experience to a new level.

3irty1
10-21-2009, 11:41 PM
wait and try this

What like physically? Such a mac nerd. I'd rather have this than a netbook. I'd rather have this than a nds or psp. To boot its all open source.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-21-2009, 11:44 PM

The 12" has a higher res, though, I think at least, than the 600 by 1024 that is the 9 and 10" variants.

Good for your friends. I don't know what your point is, I could not care less, it is clear they're in the minority as the iPhone is the hottest phone out right now despite being on the shittiest network.

I'm gonna get a Pre or a Pixi unless some Android phone really knocks my socks off. I really did not like my Centro so I'm skeptical of Palm, but if Android doesn't have multitouch (it's built into the hardware but disabled in the software so they don't get sued by Apple like Palm is), that is a deal breaker for me as multi-touch takes the experience to a new level.

Don't know anything about the others, just mine..which works great. Netbooking without boundaries.

Pre: Just that there are some folks that like the Pre more. Iphone is on the shittiest network...funny, someone mentioned that long ago. And, with ridiculous plans.

Pixie: No qwerty keyboard. Which is a bummer.

Scott Campbell
10-22-2009, 06:26 AM
There's a version similar to this selling for $399.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/acer-aspire-1810t.aspx

Partial
10-22-2009, 06:33 AM

I personally don't care but as an fyi, it definitely as a qwerty.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/the-palm-pixi-is-official-headed-to-sprint-this-holiday-season/

Tyrone Bigguns
10-22-2009, 12:21 PM

I personally don't care but as an fyi, it definitely as a qwerty.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/09/the-palm-pixi-is-official-headed-to-sprint-this-holiday-season/

Was thinking of the other phone that is coming out...the android one, maybe by HTC then.

No WiFi though....cheap bastard like yourself should be bummed.

Partial
10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I can't get behind this Bretsky, but if you do decide to get Netbooks, this is a front page sizzling deal on Slickdeals.net

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1625253

MadScientist
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
For a notebook for the kids you might consider Craig's List. Get a cheap one that is a couple of years old, and it should do fine, with a bigger screen and better performance than an atom processor.

Scott Campbell
10-26-2009, 06:56 PM

15 is gigantic for college students and business professionals. But B's buying it for his young kids. I think 15 would work fine for that use. I wouldn't want my kids dragging a laptop around. They lose everything.

MJZiggy
10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I have a 17" laptop and I love it.

Scott Campbell
10-26-2009, 08:13 PM

There's a very good reason they make so many sizes and configurations. It's because people use them in a variety of ways, and there's no single solution that satisfies everybody.

HowardRoark
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM

There's a very good reason they make so many sizes and configurations. It's because people use them in a variety of ways, and there's no single solution that satisfies everybody.

If 17" doesn't satisfy her, I don't know what will.

MJZiggy
10-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I love every inch of it!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I love every inch of it!

Size queen.

Partial
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
For a notebook for the kids you might consider Craig's List. Get a cheap one that is a couple of years old, and it should do fine, with a bigger screen and better performance than an atom processor.

Yep. Atom is roughly equivalent to a P3 from what I've heard. P3's were out in what, 1999?