PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn's Benching: Contract Related?

pbmax
10-24-2009, 01:29 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/24/the-browns-curious-commitment-to-derek-anderson/

PFT makes the case that there is no current reason to back Derek Andersen for the starting Browns QB job since he has been consistently horrible since he went in for Quinn. But there is a financial case to keeping Quinn on the bench, regardless if they plan to keep him or trade him.

He is due multiple millions of dollars in escalators to his contract if he takes 70% of the snaps this season. At first I thought this was about the worst way to run a team I could think of. Similar to baseball teams (the Chicago Black Sox for one) holding healthy pitchers out of games for "dead arms" when the real reason was that with nothing on the line, they didn't want to pay the bonus.

But its clear the Browns are simply fighting for a single digit draft position at this point. Playing Quinn might improve the pass game but to what effect? Can they get to .500 if the pass offense is average? From a strictly financial standpoint (and maybe draft standpoint), the benefit is clear. From a players relationship standpoint, it seems risky.

Brandon494
10-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Of course it is, they know they aren't going to win this season so might as well save the 11M. I mean seriously why would you play Anderson over Quinn? Yea he has a big arm but you just traded your only playmaker in Edwards so you might as well give your 1st round QB some playing experience.

red
10-24-2009, 02:17 PM
derrick anderson may not be any good, but at least he has a pro arm

i was shocked when i watched the browns with quinn starting earlier this year. he has maybe the weakest arm i've seen from a pro QB. defenders have all the time in the world to adjust to the pass and make a play

i don't think brady quinn will even be a decent QB in the NFL

Zool
10-24-2009, 05:47 PM
derrick anderson may not be any good, but at least he has a pro arm

i was shocked when i watched the browns with quinn starting earlier this year. he has maybe the weakest arm i've seen from a pro QB. defenders have all the time in the world to adjust to the pass and make a play

i don't think brady quinn will even be a decent QB in the NFL

Agreed. I watched a couple games and couldn't be less impressed with Quinn. I've always been a big Notre Dame guy too.