PDA

View Full Version : Game 6 in Review

jmbarnes101
10-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Sorry if I'm stepping on someone's toes by posting this but I figured since I already made up a list I should post it.

Good win by the Packers this week and I'm happy with the way they've played the past two weeks. McCarthy's teams seem to get better as the season progresses so hopefully these last two weeks are a sign that we're about to go on a roll.

Here's my good, bad, and ugly for the week.

The Good:
Ryan Grant with almost 150 yards and 1 TD
Offensive line opened up holes and allowed 0 sacks
Defense limited Browns to 3 points and 139 total yards of offense
Aaron Rodgers was extremely sharp
WR's hung onto the ball
Offense was balanced with 200+ rushing and passing yards
Havner picked up the slack when Finley went out
Won TO margin 2-0
Kampman had a sack
A.J. Hawk had 8 tackles including a big one for -2 yards on the goal line
Brandon Jackson and T.J. Lang got valuable time today
Won a game against a bad team the way you're supposed to

The Bad:
8 penalties for 70 yards - needs to get cleaned up
Jermichael Finley got hurt - hoping it's not serious

The Ugly:
Mason Crosby's two OOB kickoffs
Derek Anderson - can't believe he was actually a Pro Bowl QB at one point

Scott Campbell
10-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Great post. And Havner was a pleasant surprise.

Brandon494
10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Also doesnt hurt when you play the Lions and Browns back to back.

jmbarnes101
10-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Well of course not but confidence is huge and we did to them what a good team is supposed to do to bad teams. They effectively ended each game at the half and made sure there wasn't any chance of making it close.

We gave up a combined 3 points and scored enough to make both games no contest.

ND72
10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Also doesnt hurt when you play the Lions and Browns back to back.

Except this was exactly what a good team is supposed to look like against the Lions and Browns. These types of games are GREAT for the rest of the season, great tune ups for Green bay.

pbmax
10-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Great post. And Havner was a pleasant surprise.
The Frankenbacker thanks you.

pbmax
10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
I thought Lang held up well. Especially run blocking.

Tony Oday
10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Played a hell of a game and AR kept pretty clean :) Grant ran hard. Hawk played with a little more abandon. Kamp is looking comfortable in his new skin. Woodson rules. Lang ACTUALLY looked good!

MJZiggy
10-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Played a hell of a game and AR kept pretty clean :) Grant ran hard. Hawk played with a little more abandon. Kamp is looking comfortable in his new skin. Woodson rules. Lang ACTUALLY looked good!

Did you hear the announcers say that Rodgers didn't want any sacks because he hadn't had his flu shot yet?...didn't want to get too close.

ND72
10-25-2009, 10:11 PM
I watched Lang alot today, and I was way impressed with his run blocking. he made it to LBers that Clifton has for years struggled to get to. Lang was making some great backside zone blocks that were opening up gapping holes for Grant. I'm not sure how he'll do against an All-Pro guy, but I clearly think he's the answer, and Clifton is past prime...

Partial
10-26-2009, 12:42 AM
The Pack looked good but take it with a grain of salt. I could be starting for the Browns. That said, some positives:

- When given ample time to throw to his top rated receiving corps, ARod looks good. That pass to Driver was right on the effin money. He looked sharp and made some plays today.

- Ryan Grant made his first big play since 2007 today

- Clay Matthews looks like a future superstar and is the only player on the Pack D who has the potential to be special in this system (along with Jolly, Chuck and Collins)

- Hawk had a nice game today. I suspect this is our doing.

- Quinn Johnson paving roads

Then again, there were some not so good things. There were two penalties on 3rd and 4th downs giving the Browns automatic first downs. Possibly more.

The pass rush is still bad. I would like to bring way more pressure.

Tony Oday
10-26-2009, 02:15 AM
The Pack looked good but take it with a grain of salt. I could be starting for the Browns.(liar! ;) ) That said, some positives:

- When given ample time to throw to his top rated receiving corps, ARod looks good. That pass to Driver was right on the effin money. He looked sharp and made some plays today. (he looked great when there werent grass stains all over his jersey)

- Ryan Grant made his first big play since 2007 today (downhill running liked it)

- Clay Matthews looks like a future superstar and is the only player on the Pack D who has the potential to be special in this system (along with Jolly, Chuck and Collins) (looked great for a rook, taking the risks to get and keep the job)

- Hawk had a nice game today. I suspect this is our doing. (loved the last comment, he played a little more like he was trying to get a job not keep it...basically he took more risks)

- Quinn Johnson paving roads (power running!)

Then again, there were some not so good things. There were two penalties on 3rd and 4th downs giving the Browns automatic first downs. Possibly more. (20k fines for false starts!)

The pass rush is still bad. I would like to bring way more pressure.(they are getting better at using AK and I do like the rush in the middle, need that against Bert so he cant step up in the pocket)

packrulz
10-26-2009, 07:40 AM
I sort of got the impression Grant may have been jacked up and running harder since they signed Ahman Green, although M3 was obviously more committed to the run. I'm getting tired of waiting for Brandon Jackson to blossom, he really needs to show something by now for as high as he was drafted. On a side note: I see David Clowney had a TD for the Jets.

SkinBasket
10-26-2009, 07:58 AM
The Browns have absolute garbage on the right side of their line. It's really disappointing that Capers couldn't find a way to get more pressure and sacks from over there. Maybe Kampman's problems rushing aren't solely based on his new position. Jolly was also unimpressive considering his opposition.

Spaulding
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Nice post, concise and dead on.

Granted we've played two bottom tier teams these past two weeks but as ND initiated, we're supposed to dominate these games and we are. Thus winning in the fashion we have suggests just as successful of victories in my eyes as it does beating a decent/good team in a close game.

I really liked the balance today and the fact that Rodgers wasn't sacked. What continues to be disturbing is the penalties and not just any penalties but the ones that keep drives going (as Partial alluded to). Twice against the Browns and if this was a team of any passion/skill we'd potentially lose a close game on actions like that.

Add to those two penalties, another three more that provided automatic first downs and we gave up five first downs via penalties (almost half of their 12 overall) - that spells doom at some point in a critical game. The twelve men on the field reeks of disorganization/coaching.

This needs to get cleaned up fast. Pretty soon MM acknowledging the need to address chronic penalties will replace his normal crutch of "pad level."

pbmax
10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
I watched Lang alot today, and I was way impressed with his run blocking. he made it to LBers that Clifton has for years struggled to get to. Lang was making some great backside zone blocks that were opening up gapping holes for Grant. I'm not sure how he'll do against an All-Pro guy, but I clearly think he's the answer, and Clifton is past prime...
I didn't see the backside stuff, but that explains a lot of the good inside zones to the right.

Partial
10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
The Browns have absolute garbage on the right side of their line. It's really disappointing that Capers couldn't find a way to get more pressure and sacks from over there. Maybe Kampman's problems rushing aren't solely based on his new position. Jolly was also unimpressive considering his opposition.

From my vantage point at the game he was by far the most disruptive linemen. Perhaps I'm wrong.