PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the interior OL?

Bossman641
10-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Sounds like Spitz is set to come back next week.

Do you replace Wells with Spitz? Replace one of the guards with Spitz? Or keep him riding the pine?

I really have no clue. It seems like Wells has played pretty well the past few weeks.

Pugger
10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
I'd put Spitz back in there instead of Wells. We need more beef in there to get after the queens' D.

red
10-26-2009, 10:18 AM
i agree, spitz at center

pbmax
10-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Spitz at center. But someone (Guard and Tackle) should be shaking in their shoes because TJ Lang is going to take someone's job and make it easier for Ted not to pay someone.

sharpe1027
10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
A good problem to have, solid competition at the center position. Seems we have a similar "problem" at LT.

The backside was consistently being blocked well on our runs to the right allowing some nice runs on the cutback. Good job by Colledge, Lang and Wells. I'm not so sure Wells didn't earn his starting spot back.

We'll soon see whether the improvement was a result of the competition or better play by the Packers.

hoosier
10-26-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't know that having more "beef" in the middle with Spitz is really what the Packers need. First of all, Spitz outweighs Wells by, what, a measly seven pounds? And we all know that Wells knows how to use leverage against the hippos like he did against Fat Pat in the first game--for all the terrorizing that Allen did against the LTs, Fat Pat was nowhere to be seen. The Packers are on a roll with Wells at center. I say leave him in there. What to do with Spitz, on the other hand (sit him? replace Colledge?), I have no idea and I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

packerbacker1234
10-26-2009, 02:23 PM
I'd put Spitz back in there instead of Wells. We need more beef in there to get after the queens' D.

Scott Wells C 6-2 303 28 6
Jason Spitz C/G 6-3 302 26 4

Scott wells in one inch shorter, weighs one pound more, and has 2 more years experience. Really, he has 5 more years experience at least, since he has been a center from day one.

More beef? If more beef is what you want, although it's very minimal, Scott Wells actually has that edge. Outside of way more experience, a lot of starts (and being successful in those starts almost every time, mind you), and has played yet again like he has always played: really damn well.

Spitz has one inch on him, and the Linemen that has the lower leverage has the advantage. Wells is shorter by a inch, and thus that advantage goes to him as well.

In short: Wells is the best option.

Pugger
10-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Maybe beef was the wrong adjective. I have heard that Spitz has a mean - in a good way - streak in him.

pbmax
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM

Scott wells in one inch shorter, weighs one pound more, and has 2 more years experience. Really, he has 5 more years experience at least, since he has been a center from day one.

More beef? If more beef is what you want, although it's very minimal, Scott Wells actually has that edge. Outside of way more experience, a lot of starts (and being successful in those starts almost every time, mind you), and has played yet again like he has always played: really damn well.

Spitz has one inch on him, and the Linemen that has the lower leverage has the advantage. Wells is shorter by a inch, and thus that advantage goes to him as well.

You cannot believe the team's media guide for height and weight. Both the Philadelphia 76ers and Phoenix Suns still want you to think Charles Barkley is 6' 6". And the Packers claimed Grabby Smurf was 5' 10".

pbmax
10-26-2009, 02:35 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1378/566494441_40eaded734.jpg

packerbacker1234
10-26-2009, 02:36 PM

You cannot believe the team's media guide for height and weight. Both the Philadelphia 76ers and Phoenix Suns still want you to think Charles Barkley is 6' 6". And the Packers claimed Grabby Smurf was 5' 10".

True: But I do believe this:

When wells and spitz stand next to eachother, they look almost the same height. Wells has been listed at 6-2 for 6 years now.

Chances are, Wells weighs more then Spitz. If you look at the body builds of both players, wells looks like he has more weight on him then Spitz.

Wells should of never lost his starting job to begin with. He's only been the starter for what, 3, 4 years? He was here when Flanagan was still around so he got to learn from one of the best at that position. He has been reall damn good the last 4 years, just nobody took notice because hey, he's a center. When it comes to OL, people only seem to notice Tackles.

Brandon494
10-26-2009, 02:44 PM
If Spitz is healthy enough to good start him over Wells.

Spaulding
10-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm a firm believer in that you don't lose a starting position due to injury (unless of course your injury prone and then all bets are off) and with that being said I'm still in the camp on Wells.

The constant knock on him is size but he doesn't seem to give up much to Spitz and has played damn good the last few weeks.

Probably no way to get stats on this but want I'd really like to know is who is better on making line calls pre snap? I'd bet on Wells given his experience both in college (being a 4 year starter) and higher number of NFL starts (not to mention Spitz looked stoned in his NFL draft camp picture) but who knows.

If Wells makes the better calls on the line, that and his recent solid play make me think he'd be the better starter against the Vikes even if Spitz is healthy.

If Spitz makes the better calls on the line, all things equal I guess I lean towards him then if 100% healthy.

get louder at lambeau
10-26-2009, 03:10 PM

Look at Spitz's skinny legs! :shock:

Bossman641
10-26-2009, 03:11 PM

Look at Spitz's skinny legs! :shock:

Wow, didn't even notice that until you pointed it out. THey are no bigger than that girl's at the end of the huddle.

wist43
10-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Wells is not a starting calibur NFL C... point blank. As I've said many times, if you have Scott Wells as your starting C, you've got OL problems. Wells is a backup... and can hold the fort down for a game or two, but that's all he's good for.

As for Lang... if MM knows Lang is his starting LT, going up against Allen, against a team that they allowed 8 sacks to just a few weeks ago... then it is up to MM to protect Lang.

Put a TE over there, chip Allen with TE's and backs... in protection, try to as much as possible, double team Allen with Colledge inside, ensuring that Lang's responsibility is for only half of Allen, i.e. outside.

The OL has had problems... but MM hasn't been helping with his penchant for abandoing the run, and going balls to the wall in the passing game, i.e. sending 5 guys out in to the pattern down after down. If the OL is struggling, you can find ways to shore up your protection.

hoosier
10-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Wells is not a starting calibur NFL C... point blank. As I've said many times, if you have Scott Wells as your starting C, you've got OL problems. Wells is a backup... and can hold the fort down for a game or two, but that's all he's good for.

As for Lang... if MM knows Lang is his starting LT, going up against Allen, against a team that they allowed 8 sacks to just a few weeks ago... then it is up to MM to protect Lang.

Put a TE over there, chip Allen with TE's and backs... in protection, try to as much as possible, double team Allen with Colledge inside, ensuring that Lang's responsibility is for only half of Allen, i.e. outside.

The OL has had problems... but MM hasn't been helping with his penchant for abandoing the run, and going balls to the wall in the passing game, i.e. sending 5 guys out in to the pattern down after down. If the OL is struggling, you can find ways to shore up your protection.

If Wells is only backup quality then how did he manage to shut down Shaun Rogers a week after Rogers dominated against Pittsburgh? And how did he manage to shut down Fat Pat in the Humpty Dome? I hear you repeating the same old same old, but it doesn't jive with what I'm seeing on TV.

Gunakor
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Wells hasn't been a problem since stepping in for Spitz. He's gotten the job done every week. Why the hate?

pbmax
10-26-2009, 04:27 PM

The run game charge is legitimate. But we have run very few 5 man patterns overall. We are usually blocking with at least six.

bobblehead
10-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Preseason I was on the Spitz bandwagon cuz Wells was hurt last year and didn't play like wells of old. He is back, he is a naturally gifted leverage guy. I go wells all day the way he has been playing.

Honestly, when Wells is healthy he is very good. Like Hoosier said, people who say different aren't watching the games.

Everyone on this line should be worried. Wells and Sitton have played well, and that is about it. I agree with pb (I think you said it) that Lang is going to play in this league, but not likely at LT. He isn't long enough. College is off to his normal shitty start, but this is about where he comes on every season.

I used to think I knew what was going on with this team but next year any of the following could occur.

LT: clifton, College, Lang, Rookie
LG: College, Lang, Spitz
C: Spitz, Wells
RG: Sitton
RT: Lang, College, Giocominni, Tauscher, Babre

Seriously, the only guy that seems locked to have a job is Sitton, although I would bet on Spitz starting somewhere as well.

I can't even speculate on what happens next year.

Partial
10-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Go with the guys who ended the last game.

denverYooper
10-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Agreed.

JSO reports that that's the plan:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/66240562.html

Partial
10-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Agreed.

JSO reports that that's the plan:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/66240562.html

That's where I got it from but I do agree with it. The line was good last week so go with the hot hand. :)

packerbacker1234
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Well MM said this early in the week the plan is always to go with who you finished the game with. Yet, he also said that Tauch would get a really heavy look this week to see if he can fit "in", and by in I assume he means in the starting 5. He also said Ahman would get extension work to see if he fits into the gameplan this week. Grant/Green could be a good combo for us.

So, the plan early is always go with what you had the last game. In that sense, havner was the #2 tightend at the end of the game, so he is the #2 tightend now. Does that mean if Finley can somehow play this sunday he isn;t #2 again? Of course not. Things will change.

For me, the biggest thing I want to see is if Tauch is truly back, and a better option, then Barbre, I also want to see if Green has anything left in that tank. If he does, Green/Grant is a good ass combo for the rest of the year.