PDA

View Full Version : Swain Song

MichiganPackerFan
10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Brett Swain is having season ending knee surgery according to JS. I'm sure we'll have another scrappy lower round pick on the roster soon enough. Not a game changer or anything, but would the Ruvell Martin infused team chemistry put us in a much better position? Granted, we're talking mainly about a number 5 receiver (#4 with nelson sitting for a few weeks) and special teams contributor...

TennesseePackerBacker
10-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Brett Swain is having season ending knee surgery according to JS. I'm sure we'll have another scrappy lower round pick on the roster soon enough. Not a game changer or anything, but would the Ruvell Martin infused team chemistry put us in a much better position? Granted, we're talking mainly about a number 5 receiver (#4 with nelson sitting for a few weeks) and special teams contributor...

This could either be a curse or a blessing. Maybe being down to 3 legitimate recievers will place more focus on Finley/Jones(and maybe to a lesser extent Havner) and their play will florish. Or maybe the depth of not having Nelson and Swain on special teams and situational roles will bite us in the ass in the upcoming weeks. Is your glass half empty or half full?

Tony Oday
10-26-2009, 01:14 PM
RESIGN TACO! :)

Against the Vikes I want to see a TON of two TE sets to have better protection.

HarveyWallbangers
10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
This could either be a curse or a blessing. Maybe being down to 3 legitimate recievers will place more focus on Finley/Jones(and maybe to a lesser extent Havner) and their play will florish. Or maybe the depth of not having Nelson and Swain on special teams and situational roles will bite us in the ass in the upcoming weeks. Is your glass half empty or half full?

Sounds like Finley is unlikely to play.

TennesseePackerBacker
10-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Wow, looks like we need the running game to come on now more than ever huh? How long are they looking at Finley to be out? That'd be a huge blow to us IMO. Lee is completely servicable and a good blocker, but he can't stretch the field like Finley.

pbmax
10-26-2009, 01:31 PM

Wow, looks like we need the running game to come on now more than ever huh? How long are they looking at Finley to be out? That'd be a huge blow to us IMO. Lee is completely servicable and a good blocker, but he can't stretch the field like Finley.
Frankenbacker will lead the way. :D

hoosier
10-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Not having Finley or the Great White Hope ready to go against Minnesota definitely hurts. It limits what GB can do on offense and it restricts their ability to test one of Minnesota's biggest weaknesses on defense, which is depth in the secondary especially with Winfield hurt. I was hoping that MM would be able to minimize Minnesota's pass-rushing advantage by spreading the field and emphasizing quick decisions with Rodgers. But without Nelson and Finley that's not going to happen.

Tony Oday
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Not having Finley or the Great White Hope ready to go against Minnesota definitely hurts. It limits what GB can do on offense and it restricts their ability to test one of Minnesota's biggest weaknesses on defense, which is depth in the secondary especially with Winfield hurt. I was hoping that MM would be able to minimize Minnesota's pass-rushing advantage by spreading the field and emphasizing quick decisions with Rodgers. But without Nelson and Finley that's not going to happen.

Lee and Havner?

sharpe1027
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Jake Allen time.... :shock:

rbaloha1
10-26-2009, 02:13 PM

Yes! Lets see what he has. Havner was impressive. Swain should be given an injury settlement.

hoosier
10-26-2009, 02:20 PM

Lee and Havner?

Lee hasn't shown us very much since 2007, at least not of the "explosive plays" type. He's ok as a possession receiver but he's not the threat that Finley is to pick up yards after catch or run deep down the seam. Havner might be able to do some damage if the Vikings completely ignore him like Cleveland did on that delay pattern, but if they put someone on him he's not much of a threat.

Partial
10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
This guy did next to nothing and was horrible to keep on the roster. Definitely wish they would have kept Ruvell.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM

Yes! Lets see what he has. Havner was impressive. Swain should be given an injury settlement.

Injury settlement? Dude, this isn't the preseason.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
This guy did next to nothing and was horrible to keep on the roster. Definitely wish they would have kept Ruvell.

ruvell isn't doing shit with the Rams. He suck, face it.

ThunderDan
10-26-2009, 04:37 PM

You mean that Swain guy who single-handedly saved the Packer-Bear game. In 6 games for the Packers he made 1 game changing play.

What plays did Ruvell make in all of his years here that changed a game?

Partial
10-26-2009, 04:59 PM

You mean that Swain guy who single-handedly saved the Packer-Bear game. In 6 games for the Packers he made 1 game changing play.

Single-handedly? Hardly. How many other guys would have made that play?? Impossible to tell obviously, but I'd guess many. It wasn't a spectacular play by the Pack, it was an incredibly stupid play by the Bears.

Ruvell consistently found him on the field to fuel the rushing game. Last year basically every run it was Nelson and Martin on the field. When does Brett Swain ever see the field?

sharpe1027
10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Last year basically every run it was Nelson and Martin on the field.

I don't recall them being on the field together often enough to support that strong of a statement. I guess it might just be my memory failing me. Care to back that up with any sort of proof?[/u]

Partial
10-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Last year basically every run it was Nelson and Martin on the field.

I don't recall them being on the field together often enough to support that strong of a statement. I guess it might just be my memory failing me. Care to back that up with any sort of proof?[/u]

No because I don't have any but there was a ton of discussion about it last year and how obvious the play calling was. I beieve it was Rob Demovsky that wrote an article that he accurately predicted the Packers play calls based on the receiver groupings a significant amount of time (I don't remember the %, but it was eye-opening for sure).

get louder at lambeau
10-26-2009, 05:25 PM

Single-handedly? Hardly. How many other guys would have made that play?? Impossible to tell obviously, but I'd guess many.

Partial is right. Swain used BOTH of his hands when he tackled Wolfe, so he saved the game double-handedly. As far as how many guys would have made that play, all I know is John Kuhn wouldn't have, because he stood there watching Wolfe run through the giant hole right in front of him.

It's at the 2:45 mark in this video-
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8129af3c/NFL-GameDay-Bears-Packers-highlights

Partial
10-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Single-handedly? Hardly. How many other guys would have made that play?? Impossible to tell obviously, but I'd guess many.

Partial is right. Swain used BOTH of his hands when he tackled Wolfe, so he saved the game double-handedly. As far as how many guys would have made that play, all I know is John Kuhn wouldn't have, because he stood there watching Wolfe run through the giant hole right in front of him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8129af3c/NFL-GameDay-Bears-Packers-highlights

Watching that video makes me wish our week 1 D. Can we please attack like this every single week?!?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Watching that video makes me wish our week 1 D. Can we please attack like this every single week?!?

Translation: I got served so i will deflect to another criticism of the pack.

Partial
10-26-2009, 05:50 PM

???

What attributes of that play lead you to believe that any other NFL player could not make it? He didn't do anything special or even solid. It's a case of right place at the right time. Stupid play by Bears, not an exceptional play by Packers.

sharpe1027
10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
No because I don't have any but there was a ton of discussion about it last year and how obvious the play calling was. I beieve it was Rob Demovsky that wrote an article that he accurately predicted the Packers play calls based on the receiver groupings a significant amount of time (I don't remember the %, but it was eye-opening for sure).

There is a huge difference between running most of the time when Ruvell and Nelson are both in the game (which might be very infrequent) and what you said. Huge.

Frankly, you just provided evidence of how crappy of a receiving combo Ruvell and Nelson were together. The Packers hardly ever threw when they were both out there...

get louder at lambeau
10-26-2009, 06:08 PM

???

What attributes of that play lead you to believe that any other NFL player could not make it? He didn't do anything special or even solid. It's a case of right place at the right time. Stupid play by Bears, not an exceptional play by Packers.

Watch it again. Swain is lined up far left, and starts to punt rush before reading the play and dropping back to cover the inside. Nothing special or even solid? You're joking, right?

Partial
10-26-2009, 06:15 PM

There is a huge difference between running most of the time when Ruvell and Nelson are both in the game (which might be very infrequent) and what you said. Huge.

Frankly, you just provided evidence of how crappy of a receiving combo Ruvell and Nelson were together. The Packers hardly ever threw when they were both out there...

Why would they throw when they have their 4th and 5th receivers out there and their two elite guys on the bench? They were out there for their running blocking. Because they were the two best run blocking receivers on the team.

I agree with you on the first part. The two statements are independent. The two receivers were out there for most running plays as far as I remember. If not most, it was still a significant enough margin that I remember this, and I recall many others bringing it up around here as well.

glal, like I said, it's impossible to proof either way that many other players couldn't make that play, but from what I've seen Swain isn't a special or elite player, merely average 5th at best 5th wideout and decent ST guy. I find it hard to believe that many others couldn't have done the same thing.

That said, it was a heads up play. Certainly not a bad one. I expect every single Packer in that position to make that same play every single time.

get louder at lambeau
10-26-2009, 06:29 PM
glal, like I said, it's impossible to proof either way that many other players couldn't make that play, but from what I've seen Swain isn't a special or elite player, merely average 5th at best 5th wideout and decent ST guy. I find it hard to believe that many others couldn't have done the same thing.

That said, it was a heads up play. Certainly not a bad one. I expect every single Packer in that position to make that same play every single time.

I'm not some huge Swain fan. Just saying that play was pretty impressive. There were about 5 other Packers lined up closer to the hole he ran through, and none of them made the play. If Swain didn't read and react so quickly, Wolfe was gone.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 07:12 PM

???

First, you are making a dumb argument about "could not make." Almost any player at his position can make the same the same plays. The differences in physical talent is very small in the NFL.

Now, stopping a play isn't special or solid. So, doing his job isn't solid? Sorry, but defending that play is special. Those plays are rare to begin with, so by that it is a special play...because you don't see fakes that often.

Kuhn didn't react. We have countless examples of teams running fakes where people arent' aware, caught napping.

Mr. swain wasn't caught knapping, and he made the play.

Lastly, being in the right place at the right time is also a skill and something that many players never master. Just being in the right place is hard for many players. Ever watch the game....seems you can see defenders leave the right place all the time.

He made the play. He saved the game. Ruvell didn't and hasn't. He isn't even making catches for the Rams.

Brandon494
10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Ruvell Martin was nothing special, just a big reciever. With Finley breaking out during the preseason there was less need for him. Swain added more to the special teams. I honestly wanted to keep Clowney over Martin a few years ago, but that was mainly because I'm a VT fan. :)

ThunderDan
10-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Deleted

pbmax
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
I think it was Torrance Marshall who perfected being in "the wrong place, at the wrong time".

ThunderDan
10-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Single-handedly? Hardly. How many other guys would have made that play?? Impossible to tell obviously, but I'd guess many. It wasn't a spectacular play by the Pack, it was an incredibly stupid play by the Bears.

Next time Ray Lewis makes a game saving stop I'm going to turn to my friends and say, "How many other guys would have made that play?? Impossible to tell, but I'd guess many. It wasn't a great play by the Ravens, it was an incredibly stupid play by San Diego"

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 08:12 PM

Next time Ray Lewis makes a game saving stop I'm going to turn to my friends and say, "How many other guys would have made that play?? Impossible to tell, but I'd guess many."

The mental image of you saying that.....then imagining the utter contempt shown to you by your buddies...has Ty seriously grinning ear to ear.

Brandon494
10-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Next time Ray Lewis makes a game saving stop I'm going to turn to my friends and say, "How many other guys would have made that play?? Impossible to tell, but I'd guess many. It wasn't a great play by the Ravens, it was an incredibly stupid play by San Diego"

:eyes:

Partial
10-26-2009, 08:52 PM

You're comparing Brett Swain getting lucky and doing his job once to HOF Ray Lewis? Really?

It was an incredibly stupid play by the Bears. Wolfe didn't know the ball was coming to him, thus the bobble and he was slow to react as well. Kuhn should have made the play but he is horrible and thus did not.

Swain did his job as expected and tackled a guy. Doing your job is not the same as going above and beyond and being a great player.

ThunderDan
10-26-2009, 08:56 PM

You're comparing Brett Swain getting lucky and doing his job once to HOF Ray Lewis? Really?

It was an incredibly stupid play by the Bears. Wolfe didn't know the ball was coming to him, thus the bobble and he was slow to react as well. Kuhn should have made the play but he is horrible and thus did not.

Swain did his job as expected and tackled a guy. Doing your job is not the same as going above and beyond and being a great player.

But it's Ray's job to make that play just like every other player in the NFL.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Ah, this is the good ol' partail we love. Let's detail the argument.

1. Swain does his job as expected according to partail, but it wasn't that he had worked hard, practiced hard, studied hard, prepared, was alert...nope...got LUCKY.
2. Incredibly stupid. Wolfe didn't know. So, apparently doing your job isn't quite as easy as P would like to pretend as all wolfe had to do was PAY ATTENTION.
3. Kuhn, another NFL player couldn't do the job. Again, it appears that doing one's job in the NFL is harder than it appears. And, Kuhn is horrible...which therefore exonerates him from doing his job.
4. Great player. Say what. Nobody called Swain a great player. NOBODY. What was said is that he made a great play. Apparently only great players can make great plays.

good to have you back p.

sharpe1027
10-27-2009, 09:27 AM

Partial, everyone and their brother thinks Swain made a good play, especially people that have played sports before. When you sniff out a trick play like that and are the only guy to stop it, it is a great play.

I realize you are trying to defend Ruvell, but step back and take a deep breath before continuing. Nobody said Swain was a great player, but just about everyone knows he made a great play. Just relax a little. It's not the end of the world, Swain made one good play in his entire career.

Move on folks, nothing to see here.