PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Porter

NoVaDMak
07-26-2006, 11:41 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/07/26/SPG6RK5L0N1.DTL

Alright, I'll admit that this guy seems like a head-case, but it seems like all receivers are these days. What would you be willing to give up to get a player like Porter? He seems to almost be a Javon Walker-type receiver in that he's fast and physical. I just figure that if people here want the Pack to trade for Lelie despite his "trade me" tactics, you might as well go out and get the better receiver.

jack's smirking revenge
07-26-2006, 11:50 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/07/26/SPG6RK5L0N1.DTL

Alright, I'll admit that this guy seems like a head-case, but it seems like all receivers are these days. What would you be willing to give up to get a player like Porter? He seems to almost be a Javon Walker-type receiver in that he's fast and physical. I just figure that if people here want the Pack to trade for Lelie despite his "trade me" tactics, you might as well go out and get the better receiver.

Yes please. Thank you. I'd rather have Porter than Lelie, if we're going to shop around.

tyler

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
"Porter wants to be traded."

Come on T2 check this out to see if something can be worked out here.

Jerry Porter's - don't come available every day.

We studied this possibility a week or so ago, and it didn't then - to me, appear as it could happen. That Jerry Porter would ask for a trade.

There it is.

I want T2 to get active in pursueing this talented WR. To make some real effort.

BallHawk
07-26-2006, 12:06 PM
I remember this being discussed earlier in the offseason. Porter can be a very productive receiver. Unlikely Lelie he's proven he can play. Only one season ago he had 988 yards and 9 Touchdowns. With him we would have a corps like this...

#1 Driver
#2 Porter
#3 Jennings
#4 Gardner
#5 Ferguson

I would feel much more confident with that than what we have now. I don't know what the Raiders would be looking for, though. Middle-round pick? A player? What about Ferguson and a 5th?

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:42 pm

RAIDERS DANGLING PORTER

We've heard from two different sources that the Oakland Raiders are willing to trade receiver Jerry Porter, if an interested partner can be identified. One source said that the Raiders discreetly have been shopping Porter for several months.

Porter was a second-round pick of the Raiders in 2000. He received a $7 million signing bonus in 2005, only a day or two before word broke of a trade that sent Randy Moss to the Bay Area.

Porter is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and 2007.

Teams that might be interested include the Eagles, Packers, Bears, Patriots, Jaguars, Saints, and 49ers.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Raider fan comments regarding moving Jerry Porter:

** Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:48 pm

But what about the cap hit?

I'll cop immediately to not knowing how the damn thing works but from what I understand from the people who do know the ins and outs of the cap that we'll take something in the neighborhood of an $8 million kick in the nards if we trade him.

I say keep him and bench him. Save the hit and lower his value when we can let him go next year.

** Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:52 pm

Bad timing. The last thing this team needs is a distraction. I was hoping that a trade could be done without all the press speculation and hoopla. Hopefully if we do trad hime it is quick and painless. I have to admit I did see him having a good year for us. Oh well bring on Gabes!

** Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:58 pm

it depends there is a new CBA in effect, we can always restructure contracts to make room and ship him off.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:21 am

I'm basically sick of this guy's act and I've been in his corner for some time. I think irregardless of the cap hit, we should dump this dude into the NFC at the first opportunity.

The MESSAGE or ACT is more important than the cap space IMHO. This franchise needs to change everything about the way it practices, plays, attitude, etc. and the last thing we need is a cancer. Perception inevetibly becomes reality and the reality IMHO is that Porter isn't worth the hassel.

Besides, Gabriel, Morant, Curry (healthy) and possiby Mr. Irrelevant would be more than capable in filling the marginal void that Porter would leave behind.

Send his overatted ass to GB where he can sit in the cold while rehabbing his latest injury with his buddy "Cwood". C-ya.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:31 am

Another thing is that if things go according to plan, meaning that the offensive line isn't the same bunch of 'tricks' and can actually run block, LaMont Jordan and the b/u RB's will have excellent seasons IMO. This also means that Brooks/Walter will only have to toss the rock between 15-25 times per game. With such limited attempts in the passing game, at least 10 must be thrown at Randy Moss and suposedly we are going to utilize the TE more often, so Porter's touches will by definition be limited.

Anyone else believe he will whine in the lockeroom and possibly in public? I do.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:16 am

I for one hope we don't trade him. this could be my authentic jersey talking but i still like the guy and hope he stays around. im on the philospshy that winning cures all, so hopefully we keep him, he finally breaks 1000 yards and becomes a team player.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:17 am

Now it is obvious to me why Porter hasn't been doing it the "Raider way". Porter is going thru the motions and in his own way is trying to force the Raiders to trade him without demanding one.

In this time of big $ contracts being signed, he knows he made a mistake and signed for too little. TOUGH! Live by it. You signed on the bottom line. Nobody force you.

FA Linemen are signing $6 million contracts. Did I hear that other whiner Charles Woodson signed for something like $52 million? In the end didn't TO get his $8 or $9 million a year from Dallas?

So now, Porter is only getting a base salary of $1 million to play the next 2 seasons. And he is saying by the way he is playing, I'm not busting my butt.

Porter has no incentive to play hard. I don't truly understand how the cap hit works if we trade him, however we all understand what somebody can do in the locker room by being disruptive. His way is not really vocal, but more his actions.

The price to pay could be well worth to trade him, and take the cap hit, versus damaging our upcoming year by keeping him.

And in closing, we have an abundance of quality WR's.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:48 am

Take the cap hit, it's worth it in this case, it's only money we are quite deep at WR, and it would be worth the money down the line to send the mesasage that you don't f*** with Art Shell.

It has to be worth it to show the team and every other player in the NFL that the Raiders are no longer some sort of player run holiday resort.

When your first discontented player gets thrown out on his ass, that's a powerful statement.

F*** Porter.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:43 am

Porter will be the number 2 reciver this year!!!

Pee for brain, but dude is a good WR!!!!

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:10 pm

I was against Porter getting shipped out until I read some of the SHIT this prick has been spewing. Gabriel has better heart anyways and will be a GREAT #2 next to Moss.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:15 pm

looks like porter's trying to blame it on the coaching staff

god what a prick, hes as talented as owens with the same build same attitude but sure as fuck ain't the same numbers and same ability to break open every game

(expletive) this guy, I'm sure freddy said those things and if he did they were well deserving

"I wanna train in florida" train with your team and get the chemistry and shit down

heres to see Moss-Gabriel-Curry

they will give 100% and I bet money that gabriel goes over 1,000 for his first time starting.

** Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:16 pm

Quote Re: PFT

"yeah a rumor website that busted the moss trade before it happened, or that people who work in the NFL have credited as a source numereous times
not to mention they are the first with news before most major websites "

You do realize that PFT has Randy Moss leaving Oakland to Miami next season?

PFT is a rumor site. They has been right sometimes but also wrong many times.

BTW ESPN has reported that Porter wants to be traded:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2530265

Comment woodbuck27 :

There for what it may be worth, is the latest reaction to this rumor, Packer fans by Raider fans.

We'll have to keep an eye on the Eagles camp for a move to acquire Jerry Porter - I certainly see that as a possibility.

NoVaDMak
07-26-2006, 01:28 PM
wow, if they're really asking for two #1 picks, then move right along. But if he's in the range of a second rounder plus a conditional pick based on performances, I don't see how you couldn't look further into picking him up.

Noodle
07-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Has TT given up a draft pick to acquire anybody yet?

I agree with Woody and NoVa, Porter for some number 2s might work for but I think TT cherishes draft picks more dearly than dollars, so I just don't see this getting done.

Spaulding
07-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Even a #2 seems high for Porter. The guy statistically hasn't been really any better than Gardner which makes me wonder they the hoopla and he's got an injury history to go with it.

A mid-rounder with Ferguson or some other player possibly cut during final reduction of roster would be more in line.

If Jennings pans out (an if at this point but he does look the part) then we've got Driver and him for #1 and #2 and between the auditions of Gardner and Boerichter hopefully one of them will fit the system and become a solid #3 or even #2 until Jennings matures.

I'm more worried about the guard play and the kicking game than I am with our WR corps at this point.

Patler
07-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Even a #2 seems high for Porter. The guy statistically hasn't been really any better than Gardner which makes me wonder they the hoopla and he's got an injury history to go with it.

Exactly. I was going to submit a post stating that the Packers already have Jerry Porter, but in Green Bay he goes by the name Rod Gardner.

Rastak
07-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Exactly. I was going to submit a post stating that the Packers already have Jerry Porter, but in Green Bay he goes by the name Rod Gardner.

Gardner isn't as big of a pain as Porter though.

Noodle
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Gardner isn't as big of a pain as Porter though.

True, and you really can't put a price tag on that.

BallHawk
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
And isn't as good.

Patler
07-26-2006, 05:18 PM
And isn't as good.

Porter - 85 games, 239 receptions, 3215 yards, 24 TDs
Gardner- 77 games, 240 receptions, 3148 yards, 23 TDs

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 06:06 PM
And isn't as good.

Jerry Porter - 85 games / only 46 Games started
Rod Gardner - 77 games / and 62 Games started

Patler
07-26-2006, 07:12 PM
And isn't as good.

True enough. Porter was a 3rd receiver a good part of the time from 2001-2004, with Rich Ganon as the only QB in 2001, 2002 and half of 2003 and Gannon and Collins in 2004 in an offense that racked up close to 16,600 passing yards durng the four years.

During that same time, Gardner was a starter with Banks, George, Ramsey, Mathews, Wuerffel, Hasselbeck and Brunnell all playing QB in an offense that only exceeded 3000 passing yards once, and in the four year span accumulated 11, 370 yards.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 08:45 AM
And isn't as good.

True enough. Porter was a 3rd receiver a good part of the time from 2001-2004, with Rich Ganon as the only QB in 2001, 2002 and half of 2003 and Gannon and Collins in 2004 in an offense that racked up close to 16,600 passing yards durng the four years.

During that same time, Gardner was a starter with Banks, George, Ramsey, Mathews, Wuerffel, Hasselbeck and Brunnell all playing QB in an offense that only exceeded 3000 passing yards once, and in the four year span accumulated 11, 370 yards.

Yes Patler. The Redskins arn't exactly what we would call an Offensive Jugernaut.

Nice "D" though and if they ever get it going again on "O" they will be tough.

Then. . .

That division is the most exciting in all of the NFL at the present time, in terms of competiveness among one another. Really tough to rank those four franchises.

When will the NFCN ever return to the Ole Black and Blue?

K-town
07-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Porter in Shell's doghouse
posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Jerry Porter has emerged as the first test for Art Shell, and it appears he will be a big test. Shell kicked Porter out of his office early in the offseason because of the wide receiver's position about his role on the team and his offseason schedule. Now Porter wants out, but that might not be easy. Witness the difficulty the Broncos are encountering in getting value for former first-round pick Ashley Lelie. Porter is a talent with great size and speed. Certainly, there will be other casualties during Shell's reign.
The Raiders probably can't deal Porter until they find out if Ronald Curry has recovered from Achilles tendon surgery and is healthy enough to re-establish himself as a possession threat. For now, Porter will have to remain an unhappy Raider. He will be in Shell's doghouse, but Shell is fair and will give Porter every chance to succeed. It probably didn't help Porter's cause that after training on his own in Florida, he came back to camp with a calf injury.

I didn't know that Porter was kicked out of Shell's office. Hmmm. I never really believed all the hype about Porter coming out of WV, but in the games I've seen him in, he's usually been impressive. More-so than Gardner (but, acknowledging Patler, that's more perception than anything else).

On a side note, is John Clayton the real-life version of Les Nessman? Or are they the same guy? Admit it, you've never seen them together at the same time.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:14 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2006/07/26/sp_raiders241df.jpg

Jerry Porter.

Any EGO here ?

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I have abs like that. You can't see them, but they're there.

MJZiggy
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Who gives a crap about ego?? That is one impressive 6-pack!!

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 11:22 AM
here's how he got'um

http://www.aire-fitness.fr/admin/images/_produits/748/produit_Abdominaux.jpg

MJZiggy
07-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Are you sure it wasn't
http://www.fitnessquest.com/images//items/abltv1.gif

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:29 AM
The Patriots and Jerry Porter - Any future ? :

Porter on block

With Branch holding out and the Patriots thin at wide receiver, yesterday’s news that Raiders wideout Jerry Porter has demanded a trade raised some eyebrows.

But the odds of the Patriots acquiring Porter appear remote, particularly considering Oakland’s asking price of two first-round picks and Porter’s penchant for bucking authority. **

A second-round pick in 2000 out of West Virginia, Porter is coming off a 2005 season in which he made a career-high 76 receptions for 942 yards and five touchdowns.

However, he immediately got into hot water with new Raiders coach Art Shell by refusing to attend offseason workouts and the two haven’t spoken since. Porter told the San Francisco Chronicle that he has demanded a trade and hopes the Raiders back off on their demands.

“They’ve asked for two No. 1’s for me,” Porter told the newspaper. “Why would you ask for a No. 1 for me, or ask for two No. 1s for me, when I wasn’t even a No. 1?” **

woodbuck27:

** Looks to me at this time, that the Raiders are doing to Porter what we had an option to do with Javon walker.

Play HARDBALL.

Alot of Raider fans are split on trade him or make his ass burn on the bench. From what i'm seeing he is getting little sympathy in Oakland and i'd predict that his days in Oakland . . . are OVER !

The rumor'd trading price of two #1's smacks of . .

"Dam but don't you know - your blackballed - Super Jerry !"

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Packers | Thompson mum on Porter
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:08:22 -0700

PackersNews.com reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't say whether he has had talks with the Oakland Raiders about a trade for WR Jerry Porter, who wants out of Oakland.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Packers | Thompson mum on Porter
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:08:22 -0700

PackersNews.com reports Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson wouldn't say whether he has had talks with the Oakland Raiders about a trade for WR Jerry Porter, who wants out of Oakland.

What is the BIG on secrets - deal this time?

Guessing that T2 wants to surprise us? Brett Favre?

Rastak
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM

Makes TO look like an overweight slob.

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 05:02 PM
San Francisco Chronicle

Porter ready for benching

By : Nancy Gay

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Raiders receiver Jerry Porter's desire to be traded -- again -- and his contentious relationship with new coach Art Shell likely will result in a punitive benching or game-day deactivation, while the team turns to the untapped potential of players such as Johnnie Morant, Ronald Curry and Carlos Francis.

Porter said he's prepared if Raiders coaches blackball him.

"If that's how they want to spend their money,'' Porter said, "have at it.''

The real root of Porter's frustration might be the internal leak that occurred in March, when word first surfaced of a blowup between the mercurial wide receiver and Shell.

News reports immediately followed, citing "sources" saying Porter and Shell were at odds, but none of the stories offered any specific details.

In Porter's mind, someone in the Raiders' organization was out to sabotage him and paint him in a bad light by leaking details of what went on behind closed doors with coaches. That's why he chose to come forward last week and explain exactly what happened that day in Shell's office, on the record.

None of this excuses Porter's antics on the opening day of Raiders' training camp. But it sheds some light on why he may be so disgruntled.

the_idle_threat
07-30-2006, 10:54 PM

Why settle for a 6-pack when you can have a keg? :D

jack's smirking revenge
07-31-2006, 09:17 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2006/07/26/sp_raiders241df.jpg

Jerry Porter.

Any EGO here ?

I think he's wearing a muscle-suit, like what Ben Affleck wore in DareDevil to make him look strong. That just can't be real...

Porter is one tuff mutha...

tyler

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
tyler:

It appears to me that the Oakland Raiders are tougher!

I'll have too check out anything new on the Jerry Porter watch today sometime.

My early take, was that the Raider fans were not at all impressed with him; and the way we felt about Javon Walker was extremely mild in comparison.

We're the puppy and they ARE THE TIGER ! Raider fans are hun. . . gry!

Scott Campbell
07-31-2006, 10:29 AM
wow, if they're really asking for two #1 picks, then move right along. But if he's in the range of a second rounder plus a conditional pick based on performances, I don't see how you couldn't look further into picking him up.

A 2nd rounder? We only got a 2nd rounder for Walker. And Porter is no Walker. Ted would have a difficult time explaining that one.

Zool
07-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Walker is coming off a very serious injury. That dropped his value.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM

And Porter has never had a 1000 yard season, and probably never had that kind of value to begin with.

Zool
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM

And Porter has never had a 1000 yard season, and probably never had that kind of value to begin with.

998 and 942 on a terrible Raiders team in '04 and '05. But youre right , he didnt hit the magical 100 yards. Through '03 he played behind Rice and Brown. Its odd that he didnt absorb more from those 2. You couldnt ask for 2 better recievers to learn from.

Dont get me wrong, I wish we never had to worry and Javon was in our TC, but I still think a 2nd rounder is good value for a guy coming right off an ACL. No one knows how his knee will respond.

No Mo Moss
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
I need more news on this, please someone find some.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 03:12 PM
http://www.raidersrap.com/porter0727.html

http://www.allraiders.com/

Porter Injury first day of TC:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-raiders-porter&prov=ap&type=lgns

also:

http://www.topix.net/content/ap/1384750532214326416216690722392991096231

http://www.raidersnet.com/

No Mo Moss
07-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Yes I'm sur ethe injury is really a bad one. geez.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
Re:

Recent Oakland Sports Talk Show on Sirrus Radio.

Comments on Jerry Porter:

Robert Gallery was on and said that the injury (to Jerry Porter) is a non issue and he should be on the field in a couple of days.

Gallery on Porter.. Great athlete but we have others ready to take his place that are very capeable.

He said "Art isn't going to take any bullsh!t, If he (Porter) doesn't like it, he can go"

He also wanted to assure the fans that the O-line was going to be tougher, nastier, and dirtier this year....

Jerry Rice on Jerry Porter- A young guy that came into the league knowing everything ... wasn't interested in anything that Jerry Rice had to say, and WR Tim Brown told him it was the same way in 2000 when Porter was drafted..

Jerry Rice said:

" Porter craves to have the spotlight on him and was upset when Moss was brought in and got all the attention..."

Jerry Rice went on to dis Porter a little more saying:

" he (Jerry Porter) is way over his head, and just doesn't get it. "

a Raider fans reaction:

The other thread on this also said that Gallery noted "There are other guys capable of replacing him!!!"

Good, hopefully this thing with Porter will have the team rallying behind Coach Shell even more. Trade him for a good deal (unlikely)

OR

Bench him until his attitude changes or his contract runs out.

Even after his attitude changes Porter should be forced to apologize to the team AND EARN HIS SPOT BACK!!!!

Note: All quotes should be taken as paraphrases and taken from:

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75897

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 05:59 PM
Jul 31 2006 -

Jerry Porter (Raiders),

WR Jerry Porter, the Raiders' leading receiver last season with 76 receptions, confirmed on the first day of Raiders training camp he would rather be elsewhere. In a column in the San Francisco Chronicle, Porter stated his demand to be traded, detailed a shouting match with coach Art Shell shortly after the new coach was hired and said the argument began over his decision to train at a new home in Florida rather than at the club facility. The same day, Porter told an Oakland Tribune columnist he was resigned to remaining with the Raiders for two more years until his contract voided, but confirmed his level of unhappiness.

"Everybody, no matter who you work with, has somebody at their job they don't like," Porter said in reference to HC Shell.

packers11
07-31-2006, 07:36 PM
haha I love it..... hes pulling a thomas jones.... they all learned from the master.... McKenzie :lol:

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
haha I love it..... hes pulling a thomas jones.... they all learned from the master.... McKenzie :lol:

He may be pulling wood splinters out of his ass? :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Talk around the NFL regarding WR needs:

Just as the Cleveland Browns suffered a significant blow last week with the season-ending injury to center LeCharles Bentley, a similar season-ending knee injury has struck Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Brian Finneran.

The Falcons needed help at WR, and losing Brian Finneran makes the corps even thinner. The Falcons placed Finneran on injured reserve, ensuring that he will miss the remainder of the season, a blow to the team's personnel and its psyche.

Atlanta will struggle to replace a receiver of Finneran's caliber, but the front office's efforts already are underway. It has reached out to former Carolina wide receiver Ricky Proehl, who has an interest in going to the Panthers' division rival. Former Rams and Lions wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim, who intended to retire, also decided to call the Falcons and see if they would have any interest in bringing him to Atlanta. And former Browns wide receiver Kevin Johnson is about a week away from returning from a serious knee injury, and he would have interest in signing with the Falcons.

Still, the 6-foot-5 Finneran held a unique spot on the Falcons and he will not be easily replaced, no matter which receiver the team signs.

THE EAGLES NEED A LANDING

The other team in the market for a receiver is the Philadelphia Eagles. Already thin at the receiver spot, the Eagles have watched two of their most seasoned wideouts, Todd Pinkston and Reggie Brown, battle nagging injuries throughout training camp. Pinkston has experienced soreness in his Achilles, and Brown tightness in his hamstring.

Knowing this, the Eagles closely are monitoring the availability of Denver's disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie. The Eagles could act on Lelie at any moment, though to date, they have not offered enough to the Broncos.

The Broncos have received interest from at least three other teams as well, but they are unwilling to deal Lelie unless they get what they want in return.

So far, nobody has offered enough to get Denver to budge. But with enough teams interested in the receiver that led the league in average yards per catch, somebody is expected to give the Broncos what they want soon enough.