PDA

View Full Version : For The Old Timers: Now This Is A Rant

pbmax
10-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Peter King MMQB mentioned a month or so ago that to be included in the New York Times Crossword puzzle would be great. He thought as a clue. Later, he meets a guy at his booksigning and this gentleman has a business card that lists his occupation as "Crossword Puzzle Constructor". And the Constructor tells King to watch the paper this week for a surprise.

Turns out King is the entire theme to the puzzle. This causes hackles to be raised in the Crossword community, for instance making Olberman jealous that King made it in before he did.

It also caused a complaint thread on a Crossword blog by Rex Parker (http://rexwordpuzzle.blogspot.com/2009/10/nbc-football-analystreporter-longtime.html). Of course there is a blog about Crosswords. And that thread had a great rant, Packer-themed rant. Its funny even though the hero is a Cowboy.

And, finally, this: "It doesn't matter how well known Peter King or the quote is or how much Peter King likes Brett Favre, who I've despised from the beginning of his career for a lot of reasons, one of which is that he's supposedly a 'blue collar' player on a 'blue collar' team. That drives me nuts! Do people think the players on these 'blue collar' teams all go to offseason jobs at the brewery or the steel mill? The Canton Bulldogs haven't played in years. Now that was a blue-collar team. The Packers and the Steelers get their players from the same places all the other teams do. Also, that stupid fiction everybody subscribes to that somehow the northern teams play better in the cold. Most of their players grew up in Houston! Auugh! I can't stand Brett Favre! Don Meredith, now there was a quarterback.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/10/25/mmqb/5.html#ixzz0V8g6pZLr
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Badgerinmaine
10-27-2009, 11:54 PM
The apparently serious prize the crossword blogger had on his site was just too good for words: "DorkFest 2008 Victor". :-)