PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign two WRs to practice squad

Brandon494
10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
The Packers also worked out several receivers Tuesday and signed two of them to their practice squad: Patrick Williams and Biron Ealy. They also cut one player from their practice squad, guard Stanley Daniels.

Ealy (6-feet-2, 202 pounds) played in four games for Tennessee in 2007 and was on the Titans’ practice squad last year. He’d been out of football after getting waived injured (hamstring) by Baltimore during training camp.

Williams (6-1, 204) signed with the Packers this past offseason as an undrafted rookie. The Packers put him on injured reserve because of a hamstring injury during training camp and later waived him.

-- Pete Dougherty, pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Why bother?

Brandon494
10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Why bother?

I guess if someone else goes down to injury before Nelson comes back, and with GJ and JJ history of injuries that wouldnt be that unlikely.

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Why bother?

I guess if someone else goes down to injury before Nelson comes back, and with GJ and JJ history of injuries that wouldnt be that unlikely.

No, I mean why bother signing these two? They sound like bottom of the barrell guys.

MJZiggy
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I think they bothered because they promoted Allen and happened to have the room now.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Why bother?

No, I mean why bother signing these two? They sound like bottom of the barrell guys.

You have top of the barrell guys you see available?

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I think they bothered because they promoted Allen and happened to have the room now.

This is the best they could find? I never heard of them (which ain't saying much). And I'm not a talent scout, but both coming off injuries? One out of football for a year? One the Packers cut?

I don't know, maybe talent out there is REALLY thin.

MichiganPackerFan
10-27-2009, 05:07 PM

This is the best they could find? I never heard of them (which ain't saying much). And I'm not a talent scout, but both coming off injuries? One out of football for a year? One the Packers cut?

Isn't that the way it usually works with mid-season practice squad acquisitions? Grab a couple players that may have some upside, give 'em a few weeks to tryout. If they've got nothing, cut 'em and move on.

mmmdk
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Isn't that the way it usually works with mid-season practice squad acquisitions? Grab a couple players that may have some upside, give 'em a few weeks to tryout. If they've got nothing, cut 'em and move on.

Yup :tup:

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Why bother?

I wonder what Andy Brodell is doing...

sharpe1027
10-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Crabtree wasn't available he signed recently... :wink:

The pickups seem to make sense to me, the one guy was in camp and has been exposed to the system. The other guy has NFL experience.

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

mission
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

That's what I was hoping/thinking.

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 05:32 PM
I guess I can see signing Williams. I forgot about him signing as an undrafted free agent.

sharpe1027
10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

He was an option. Must not have impressed the coaches very much?

Patrick Williams has some good speed and was a good special teamer in college. That's what they would need out of him if he ever saw the field.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Why bother?

I wonder what Andy Brodell is doing...

Prolly hanging with Justin Beaver.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

Dude, you got way to much time invested in the pack if you are hoping Jamarko Simmons is coming back.

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

Dude, you got way to much time invested in the pack if you are hoping Jamarko Simmons is coming back.

Ty, Simmons was my second choice. I'm really invested in Andy Brodell. :)

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

Ty views these type of players like the lottery. Go buy your ticket, but keep your mouth shut about it. Ty feels pretty dang confident telling fans that they aren't winning the lottery. If Ty is wrong, well, you will be happy, Ty will be happy, and will still go on saying buy your ticket, but keep quiet. WAY more losers than "winners."

At best you are looking at a 100 bean scratch off most of the time. Farts in the wind as per Mr. Wolf.

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

Ty views these type of players like the lottery. Go buy your ticket, but keep your mouth shut about it. Ty feels pretty dang confident telling fans that they aren't winning the lottery. If Ty is wrong, well, you will be happy, Ty will be happy, and will still go on saying buy your ticket, but keep quiet. WAY more losers than "winners."

At best you are looking at a 100 bean scratch off most of the time. Farts in the wind as per Mr. Wolf.

But when you win it's sweet. (Colston in NO)

Mr. T
10-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Or DD?!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

Of course it is. But, lemme ask you this. Do you waddle around the retirement community discussing what you are gonna do with your lottery winnings? Week after week. Month after month. Year after year.

Please tell me you aren't THAT guy.

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

Of course it is. But, lemme ask you this. Do you waddle around the retirement community discussing what you are gonna do with your lottery winnings? Week after week. Month after month. Year after year.

Yeah, I must confess I am that guy. Just wait till you're 85 and see if you don't waddle!

Maxie the Taxi
10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
You know, it just occurred to me. Last month I turned Max McGee's number!!

Lurker64
10-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Why bother?

Well, they're actually the top of the bottom of the barrel. When it comes to signing guys to your practice squad you need to find guys who are not currently employed by an NFL team, have practice squad eligibility, and have kept themselves in football playing shape. The number of people who fit that description at a given position is fairly small. Unlike veterans, who can just sit around waiting for an injury and hope someone gives them a call, guys who actually have PS eligibility have so little invested in playing professional football (they haven't really done it much!) that many of them have put their attention to "life after football" at this point in the year.

Hell if I know if these guys are any good though, the scouting department seems to do a pretty good job with WRs though.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Or DD?!

You guys are actually comparing guys drafted and signed to guys we are signing to the practice squad?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Jamarko Simmons?

Yeah, I must confess I am that guy. Just wait till you're 85 and see if you don't waddle!

What are you gonna do with the lotto money? Get a condo at del boca vista?

HarveyWallbangers
10-27-2009, 08:35 PM

I can't tell if you're joking.
:D

gbgary
10-27-2009, 08:47 PM

well happy belated birthday to you sir!!