PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Report Cards - si.com

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Jeffri Chadiha handed out grades for all NFL teams. He's from Michigan - can you tell??? I hate slanted national writers!

Overall, he gave the NFC a thumbs up, AFC average and ranked the Packers last (D) in offseason moves (with San Diego).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/07/26/offseason.grades/index.html?cnn=yes

Do you think the Packers deserved a D with their offseason moves? I like Hawk/Hodge, a few young lineman and some potentials in the draft. We got Manual, Pickett and Woodson in FA as well as resigning Green and Kampy.

I'd say more like C+/B-

Here are some excerpts for NFC North:

DETROIT LIONS

What Went Right: They hired a stern coach in Rod Marinelli. Former coach Steve Mariucci was too soft and the team's play reflected it. The Lions also brought in two creative coordinators. If Mike Martz can't fix this feeble offense, nobody can. On defense, Donnie Henderson's aggressive schemes should mesh well with a unit that has plenty of speed at linebacker. The addition of quarterback Jon Kitna is key, too. He'll provide much-needed leadership on offense, regardless of whether he beats out Josh McCown for the job.

What Went Wrong: President Matt Millen is still getting a paycheck, though the team has won only 21 games during his five-year tenure.

Grade: B

CHICAGO BEARS

What Went Right: They were efficient with the few free-agent moves they did make. Brian Griese should be a reliable backup to Rex Grossman at quarterback. Ricky Manning adds depth to the cornerback position. They also added more depth in the draft.

What Went Wrong: This is one 2005 playoff team that could suffer this season from chemistry issues. Outside linebacker Lance Briggs wants big money. Cornerback Nathan Vasher missed a portion of the offseason program. It also doesn't sound like Thomas Jones is thrilled about sharing carries with Cedric Benson after rushing for a career-high 1,355 yards last season.

Grade: C-

GREEN BAY PACKERS

What Went Right: Quarterback Brett Favre put off retirement for at least one more year. Linebacker A.J. Hawk, the Packers' first-round pick, should be a Pro Bowl player some day. Free agent Charles Woodson is an upgrade at corner.

What Went Wrong: Aside from Woodson, the Packers didn't make much noise in free agency -- and they had plenty of money to spend. They also caved to Javon Walker's demands and traded him Denver.

Grade: D :roll:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

What Went Right: They hired head coach Brad Childress, who isn't afraid to run off people who won't get with his program. They realized it was better to go with quarterback Brad Johnson than to gamble on the idea that Daunte Culpepper could avoid another lousy season. They also snatched Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson from the Seattle Seahawks with some clever contract negotiating, and drafted a playmaking linebacker (Chad Greenway) in the first round of the draft.

What Went Wrong: They lost wide receiver Nate Burleson to Seattle when the Seahawks did some clever contract negotiating of their own as payback for losing Hutchinson. The Vikes also made the mistake of believing that Chester Taylor could be the answer to their running game. Some people in Baltimore were happy to see him leave.

Grade: B-

BallHawk
07-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Giving a D is stupid. These writers only pay attention to big name players. They ignore Pickett who was a very solid signing, Kampman one of the best Free Agents on the market thos season, etc. Basically, I've come to piece with the fact that we aren't gonna get a lot of love from the press. I'm fine with that, I'd rather exceed expectations than disapoint them.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't want to restart the argument, but Javon Walker was a no-win situation. You can't slam Thompson for making that move, it may have been the best bet, and a reasonable decision at any rate.

BallHawk
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't want to restart the argument, but Javon Walker was a no-win situation. You can't slam Thompson for making that move, it may have been the best bet, and a reasonable decision at any rate.

Agreed.

PlantPage55
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
wow that really pisses me off.
When can the Pack get a little respect?!
A ****ing D?!?!

hmm...not enough of a splash in the FA market?

Well, most teams didn't spend to get a player like Woodson, so that automatically should have given these writers boners for us over half the other teams in the league.

But then we got Pickett (GREAT, great great YOUNG talent) - oh, but he doesn't even mention that.

We resigned Kampman, which is a FANTASTIC move. Every good analyst knows how much Kampman is worth to this team.

We got Marquand Manuel - who played solid if not great Safety for a superbowl team last year! Yeah, that's an upgrade over Roman any day.

We resign Ahman Green for CHEAP. This could be the best move we made all off-season IF HE'S BACK TO NORMAL HEALTH. He's elite if he's healthy. But of course, everyone overlooks this.

Then we draft the most NFL ready rookie in the draft in AJ. Which he does mention.

But we STOLE Abdul Hodge in the 3rd.
Got two offensive linemen with potential and great attitudes. Just good, solid, FOOTBALL players

And in a great move that I couldn't believe happened...we drafted Will Blackmon...whose damn foot BETTER heal well - because he is so versitile and aware as a FOOTBALL player.

Oh yeah, don't forget Greg Jennings...the most POLISHED reciever in the draft.

DOES ALL OF THAT SOUND LIKE A D TO ANY OF YOU?!?!?!

You could make cases that it wasn't a GREAT offseason. But a D!!!!

I'd say B...but I could understand bias coming into play...
even a C+ would have been acceptable from an outsider

WHATEVER! WE'LL SHOW THESE FOOLS ON THE FIELD!!!

Noodle
07-26-2006, 01:27 PM
The D is way too harsh. Here is a basic truth of life: The more you know about something (a team, an event), the more you will see that the press doesn't know what the frick they're talking about.

Folks have already listed some good moves the Pack has made. And TT is not going to get any credit for the M3 signing until the world sees if he can be an HC (and whether Sanders can be a DC and Jags an OC -- all are newcomers).

The Pack hasn't done anything besides the draft to address the OL, and an RB would have been a smart move given the uncertainty there. So I'd say C or C+, but no way D.

Bretsky
07-26-2006, 05:58 PM
EXCLUDING THE DRAFT, I think anyting between a C- to D is fair. We had bundles of money to spend and saw multiple solid players come off the board.........only to witness TT completely frontload a contract because we were left with so much cap space.

Yes, Pickett, Manuel, and Woodsen will help; but we could have down a lot lot more.

Lare
07-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Although I would probably agree with the "D" ranking based on FA moves in the offseason (considering the amount of money TT had to work with), I think this year's draft will end up lifting the overall a grade a little higher.

However, the bottom line in ranking the Packers' offseason moves is really going to be based on the new coaching staff. If MM & Company turn out to be the real deal, all the player moves will benefit from it. If not, it probably wouldn't have made much difference who TT drafted or signed as FAs.

RIPackerFan
07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't understand it either.

From most of the draft "scorecards", the Packers were consistently in the A-B area.

From a free agent standpoint, we did keep some of our free agents (Kampman - Green), while adding depth to several positions. It wouldn't surprise me if some other team would have picked up Kampman - they would probably have gotten an A, because everyone was considering that he was one of the top free agents. The Walker fiasco was a minus - but I think we did pretty good to get what we did. However, if you look at the depth that this team has built, in basically one year, I can't believe anyone thinks that it was a bad offseason. While we didn't pick up any of the "big names", we brought in a lot of depth without sacrificing our future. Maybe a C at worst.

The one thing they didn't mention in the article for the Pack but they did mention for the Lions (the only thing they mentioned ????) - was the coaching staff. That's probably the one area I am most concerned of - because they are relatively unknown.

But a D - give me a break. I hope the team is reading the press and getting pissed.

PlantPage55
07-26-2006, 08:30 PM
I hope they get as pissed as I am...I don't think 5% of the things I've read from the media have been positive. The only thing we can count on is Salisbury defending Favre to the death. otherwise, nothing.

I hope they get pissed and rip opponents heads off. I know I would be

the_idle_threat
07-27-2006, 12:08 AM
I also think the writer missed the boat on the Vikings. I don't think they came out any better than the Packers in this offseason ... in fact I think they were worse ...

1. I didn't like the guy much, but Daunte Culpepper developed into a pretty good player with several good seasons under his belt, then had half of one bad season, and this writer lauds the 'Queens for running him outta town in favor of Brad "Cocoon" Johnson?

2. Their draft stunk. Greenway was drafted a bit higher than expected, and both second round picks were reaches.

3. They WAY overpaid a guard.

About the only thing I agree with this writer on is that the Chester Taylor signing will not pan out. Taylor has good backup talent but crappy starting talent ... kind of like Tony Fisher.

I think the Vikes will be kicking themselves for a long time for their moves this offseason.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 06:43 AM
I also think the writer missed the boat on the Vikings. I don't think they came out any better than the Packers in this offseason ... in fact I think they were worse ...

1. I didn't like the guy much, but Daunte Culpepper developed into a pretty good player with several good seasons under his belt, then had half of one bad season, and this writer lauds the 'Queens for running him outta town in favor of Brad "Cocoon" Johnson?

2. Their draft stunk. Greenway was drafted a bit higher than expected, and both second round picks were reaches.

3. They WAY overpaid a guard.

About the only thing I agree with this writer on is that the Chester Taylor signing will not pan out. Taylor has good backup talent but crappy starting talent ... kind of like Tony Fisher.

I think the Vikes will be kicking themselves for a long time for their moves this offseason.

1. He was wildly inconsistent most of his career. I would know, I watched every game he played in including preseason. He can be the best QB in the league for 6 games then suck for 2 or 3. You don't win long term that way.

2. You seem to be confused, they had 3 second round picks.

3. Todays overpay is tomorrows norm. He improved their line immensly.

4. You failed to mention replacing Edinger with Longwell. How many Packer fans would have preferred Edinger on THEIR team?

5. Smith and Williams are a significant upgrade at safety over Chavous, who has slowed over the last two years.

6. Time will tell on Taylor.

7. Time will tell on the new coaching staff too.

By the way, Greenway went right where he was projected, I'm not sure where you got that statement from. He may not pan out, but he was picked where projected. Maybe even a couple picks later, many had Saint Louis taking him.

Fritz
07-27-2006, 09:06 AM
One thing I think is going to hurt the Vikes is losing Nate Burleson. After Moss was traded Burleson stepped up pretty strongly. I don't see the Vikes as having much of a passing game, with Brad "Solid Veteran" Johnson throwing to...throwing to....to, uh, to....

Rastak
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
One thing I think is going to hurt the Vikes is losing Nate Burleson. After Moss was traded Burleson stepped up pretty strongly. I don't see the Vikes as having much of a passing game, with Brad "Solid Veteran" Johnson throwing to...throwing to....to, uh, to....

Travis Taylor looked ok as a #3. Koren Robinson had 1200 yards while drunk in a similar offense and Troy Williamson COULD be much improved in his second year. Actually, Green Bay and Minnesota have similar issues at WR if you ask me.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Travis Taylor looked ok as a #3. Koren Robinson had 1200 yards while drunk in a similar offense and Troy Williamson COULD be much improved in his second year. Actually, Green Bay and Minnesota have similar issues at WR if you ask me.

I'd agree with this--although with your line of thinking on Robinson, then the comeback is that Gardner had 1000 yards playing for anemic passing offense in Washington. I liked Burleson a lot as a #2 and I think it will be a underrated loss for them, but I wouldn't say he stepped up in the absence of Moss much. Moss left last offseason, and Burleson was mostly injured last year, so he hasn't proven that he can be affective game in, game out when Moss wasn't around.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 09:26 AM

I'd agree with this--although with your line of thinking on Robinson, then the comeback is that Gardner had 1000 yards playing for anemic passing offense in Washington. I liked Burleson a lot as a #2 and I think it will be a underrated loss for them, but I wouldn't say he stepped up in the absence of Moss much. Moss left last offseason, and Burleson was mostly injured last year, so he hasn't proven that he can be affective game in, game out when Moss wasn't around.

Can't argue much with what you say. I think the Vikings will rely on a good running game and a short passing offense with Wiggins, Mewelede Moore and Chester Taylor to offset their lack of a blockbuster reciever. Burleson would have fit in well with this offense but that's water under the bridge.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Blind justice !

Otherwise known as BULLSHIT !

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 10:32 AM

You took a break.

WELCOME BACK Fritz.