PDA

View Full Version : Bad Teams

cap360
10-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like there are just a whole bunch of really bad football teams this year i count atleast 12 that pretty much suck! Wonder whats up with that?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like there are just a whole bunch of really bad football teams this year i count atleast 12 that pretty much suck! Wonder whats up with that?

No, it ain't you. Lots of bad teams and VERY predictable outcomes. Vegas is getting hammered. They are gonna be raising the lines on TB and Oak....if it was 13, gonna be 17-18.

It has been so bad, that Vegas is openly considering taking games off the line next year.

KYPack
10-28-2009, 07:59 AM

No, it ain't you. Lots of bad teams and VERY predictable outcomes. Vegas is getting hammered. They are gonna be raising the lines on TB and Oak....if it was 13, gonna be 17-18.

It has been so bad, that Vegas is openly considering taking games off the line next year.

I heard a report on this yesterday. There are some consistent dogs taking the gas pipe every week, coupled with some sure favorites that are always covering.

This last Sunday was thought by some of observers to be the worst week in Vegas history. You will definitely see some dogs come off the board and some humungous spreads until this straightens out.

pbmax
10-28-2009, 08:10 AM
So maybe its Vegas and not Pete Rozelle that feel in love with parity. :D

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Look at the suicide pools. More people are in those for longer so far this year.

Guiness
10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Agreed on that CH Craig, as evidenced by my continual survival!!!

MadScientist
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Look at the suicide pools. More people are in those for longer so far this year.

Those pools should also be changed to not allow a person to pick a team to lose more than once. Usually you only get one or two Toilet Bowls a year, but now its every week. (Det vs StL anyone?)

Smidgeon
10-28-2009, 01:50 PM
All the bad teams make me ask: is this a one or two year anomoly (for whatever reason: parity striking all at once instead of in spurts across all teams, rebuilding, economic factors that preclude an owner from dishing out money, a eroding of talent, etc), or is parity dead now that teams are successful in spending beneath the salary cap? Does the cap need to be reduced to increase parity or will certain teams always be towards the top due to ownership emphasizing quality and winning (NE, GB, PIT) over spending/not spending money or sticking to outdated philosophies (DET, WAS, TB, OAK)?

MadScientist
10-28-2009, 02:18 PM
All the bad teams make me ask: is this a one or two year anomoly (for whatever reason: parity striking all at once instead of in spurts across all teams, rebuilding, economic factors that preclude an owner from dishing out money, a eroding of talent, etc), or is parity dead now that teams are successful in spending beneath the salary cap? Does the cap need to be reduced to increase parity or will certain teams always be towards the top due to ownership emphasizing quality and winning (NE, GB, PIT) over spending/not spending money or sticking to outdated philosophies (DET, WAS, TB, OAK)?

I'd say it is short term because the causes are different in many cases.

Detroit - full rebuild after a disastrous GM. Other than the GB game (missing too many players), they've improved quite a bit. Next year they won't command the huge lines.

Washington / Oakland - Meddling ownership. They will stay bad for a while.

Tenn / Carolina - QB's falling off a cliff.

KC - full rebuild, but they supposedly have a QB, so they may turn around in a year or so.

Buff / TB - Coaching problems (fired OC just before the season started).

Cleavland - Remaking the team, but serious regression from both QB's.

It's the NFL, so who knows what will happen next year. Did anyone anywhere really predict that Denver would be 6-0?

hoosier
10-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Detroit - full rebuild after a disastrous GM. Other than the GB game (missing too many players), they've improved quite a bit. Next year they won't command the huge lines.

KC - full rebuild, but they supposedly have a QB, so they may turn around in a year or so.

Cleavland - Remaking the team, but serious regression from both QB's.

It's the NFL, so who knows what will happen next year. Did anyone anywhere really predict that Denver would be 6-0?

When the Cutler and Marshall news was hitting the fan back in August I fully expected that Denver would have a 6 and a 0 in their record at this point, but I have to admit that I had those two numbers the other way around.

Good point about "next year." In fact, the second half of the season could even bring new hope for a few of the crappy teams this year.

red
10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
i think this might be a sign of things to come

some teams just aren't gonna spend all their cap room anymore. and when the cba expires and the cap floor disappears it might get even worse.

floria had a piece about this topic this week

last year detroit was the first team ever to go 0-16, this year theres a very strong chance that 2 teams will do it

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM

Those pools should also be changed to not allow a person to pick a team to lose more than once. Usually you only get one or two Toilet Bowls a year, but now its every week. (Det vs StL anyone?)

I should have said survival pools as well where you can't pick the same team twice.

Maxie the Taxi
10-28-2009, 05:36 PM
IMO it boils down to QB.

Good teams IN GENERAL have top rated QB's; Bad teams have low rated QB's.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2009/seasontype/2

A great QB can atone for a lot of sins. No matter how good the rest of the team, a bad QB is hard to overcome.

Case in point: anybody believe Minnesota would be where they are now if Favre hadn't played with them?

gbgary
10-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Cleveland - Remaking the team, but serious regression from both QB's.

this!

Brandon494
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Yet some fans have the nerve to claim TT is the worst GM in the league :roll:

Not saying that he is perfect but he gets a lot of undeserved blame.

The Leaper
10-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with talent on the field ESPECIALLY at QB. Are you going to tell me that Kyle Orton is an elite talent...yet Denver is winning.

It has everything to do with complete ineptitude in the front office.

Football used to be a game run by guys who LOVED the game. Now it is run by either egomaniacs like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder who think owning an NFL team is a fun hobby...or the senile old guard that is lucky to recognize their own face in the mirror in the morning like Al Davis or Bud Adams.

Look at the teams who stink...then look at who is running their team. You could give Brett Favre in his prime to the Raiders...they still wouldn't win more than 4 games.

rdanomly
10-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Talent does have something to do with it. After watching a barely professional Browns team get embarrassed this weekend, it looked to me like there was a massive absence of talent on the team.

However, that lack of talent is due to the ineptitude of the front office. If you're a Browns or Detroit fan, you're hoping you aren't stuck with an Al Davis or Synder for that front office.

The Leaper
10-28-2009, 09:12 PM
However, that lack of talent is due to the ineptitude of the front office. If you're a Browns or Detroit fan, you're hoping you aren't stuck with an Al Davis or Synder for that front office.

Perhaps...but there are too many examples of players going from one team to another and finding success these days. Coaching staffs seem very young and inexperienced to me these days...and owners have become complete dumbasses.

Brandon494
10-28-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with talent on the field ESPECIALLY at QB. Are you going to tell me that Kyle Orton is an elite talent...yet Denver is winning.

Football used to be a game run by guys who LOVED the game. Now it is run by either egomaniacs like Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder who think owning an NFL team is a fun hobby...or the senile old guard that is lucky to recognize their own face in the mirror in the morning like Al Davis or Bud Adams.

Look at the teams who stink...then look at who is running their team. You could give Brett Favre in his prime to the Raiders...they still wouldn't win more than 4 games.

Don't really think you can put Jerry Jones in the same cateroy as Snyder. Atleast the Cowboys have a team that competes every year and Jones also have 3 rings to show for it.

The Leaper
10-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't really think you can put Jerry Jones in the same cateroy as Snyder. Atleast the Cowboys have a team that competes every year and Jones also have 3 rings to show for it.

Jerry hasn't won a playoff game since he tossed Jimmy Johnson and started running the team's player operations mostly on his own.

Brandon494
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Jerry hasn't won a playoff game since he tossed Jimmy Johnson and started running the team's player operations mostly on his own.

True but that hasnt stopped them from beating us every year. :x

gbgary
10-28-2009, 10:21 PM

does superbowl XXX count? don't forget about berry switzer. :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
10-28-2009, 10:43 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Orton isn't an elite QB, but this year he's got the 7th best QB rating in the league.

I'm not discounting the damage an inept front office can do to a team. On the other hand a great QB with a hot hand can make up for a lot of front office crap.

Look at the Bengels. This year Carson Palmer's healthy and hot and they're a competitive team.

Look at the Panthers. When Jake Delhomme is hot, the Panthers are competitive. When Delhomme is not, the Panthers stink.

If Peyton Manning was playing for Oakland or Detroit, they're suddenly 8 and 8.