PDA

View Full Version : Favre's '96 teammates: '09 Vikings not better

packers11
10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4601368&type=story

Favre's ex-teammates: We were better
ESPN.com news services

Earlier this season, Brett Favre said this of of the 2009 Minnesota Vikings: "Physically, and from a talent level, this is the best team I've ever been on."

Favre's teammates from the 1996 Green Bay Packers team that won the Super Bowl would beg to differ.

As Favre prepares to return to Lambeau Field for the first time as the member of the rival Vikings, members of the 1996 Packers told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that as good as the Vikings are, they don't stack up to a team that featured a dominant Reggie White on defense and the league MVP at quarterback -- Brett Favre.

Favre did say later that he wasn't trying to slight the '96 Packers with his comment about the Vikings. Still, while his ex-Packers teammates acknowledge the Vikings' strengths, they believe their team was better.

"To say that the team he's on now, after seven games, is better than the '96 team -- that's just preposterous. Not only did we have the No. 1 defense in 1996, but we had No. 1 special teams," former safety LeRoy Butler said, according to the report. "I bleed green and gold so much. I don't want somebody to beat my team."

Mark Chmura, a tight end on the '96 team, said he went through the rosters position by position and could not find an advantage for the Vikings. "And it all starts with Brett -- Brett's not as good as he was," he said, according to the report.

"I mean, you're talking about the No. 1 defense in the league at that time, maybe one of the best defenses ever to play the game," Chmura added, according to the report. "Don't get me wrong. Favre is still a good quarterback, but he was unbelievable in the day. When we played back then, teams feared us. I don't know if teams fear the Minnesota Vikings today. We knew no one could beat us at home, absolutely nobody."

And former Packers left tackle Ken Ruettgers said the '96 Packers were so good that he knew as early as spring workouts that he was playing on a team with the potential to be special, according to the report.

"No doubt there was great talent on that 1996 team," Ruettgers said, according to the report. "In the spring, during workouts, I came home and told my wife: 'This team is going to the Super Bowl.' It's just that feeling you get when you're around guys who are all putting their own egos on the backburner and coming together for what's best for the team. We had some teams that were talented in the past, but there was no team where it was like, 'Wow, we're going this year.' "

The 1996 Packers went 13-3 in the regular season and beat the New England Patriots 35-12 in Super Bowl XXXI, earning the team's third Super Bowl title.

denverYooper
10-28-2009, 11:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4601368&type=story

Favre's ex-teammates: We were better
ESPN.com news services

Earlier this season, Brett Favre said this of of the 2009 Minnesota Vikings: "Physically, and from a talent level, this is the best team I've ever been on."

Favre's teammates from the 1996 Green Bay Packers team that won the Super Bowl would beg to differ.

As Favre prepares to return to Lambeau Field for the first time as the member of the rival Vikings, members of the 1996 Packers told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that as good as the Vikings are, they don't stack up to a team that featured a dominant Reggie White on defense and the league MVP at quarterback -- Brett Favre.

Favre did say later that he wasn't trying to slight the '96 Packers with his comment about the Vikings. Still, while his ex-Packers teammates acknowledge the Vikings' strengths, they believe their team was better.

"To say that the team he's on now, after seven games, is better than the '96 team -- that's just preposterous. Not only did we have the No. 1 defense in 1996, but we had No. 1 special teams," former safety LeRoy Butler said, according to the report. "I bleed green and gold so much. I don't want somebody to beat my team."

Mark Chmura, a tight end on the '96 team, said he went through the rosters position by position and could not find an advantage for the Vikings. "And it all starts with Brett -- Brett's not as good as he was," he said, according to the report.

"I mean, you're talking about the No. 1 defense in the league at that time, maybe one of the best defenses ever to play the game," Chmura added, according to the report. "Don't get me wrong. Favre is still a good quarterback, but he was unbelievable in the day. When we played back then, teams feared us. I don't know if teams fear the Minnesota Vikings today. We knew no one could beat us at home, absolutely nobody."

And former Packers left tackle Ken Ruettgers said the '96 Packers were so good that he knew as early as spring workouts that he was playing on a team with the potential to be special, according to the report.

"No doubt there was great talent on that 1996 team," Ruettgers said, according to the report. "In the spring, during workouts, I came home and told my wife: 'This team is going to the Super Bowl.' It's just that feeling you get when you're around guys who are all putting their own egos on the backburner and coming together for what's best for the team. We had some teams that were talented in the past, but there was no team where it was like, 'Wow, we're going this year.' "

The 1996 Packers went 13-3 in the regular season and beat the New England Patriots 35-12 in Super Bowl XXXI, earning the team's third Super Bowl title.

:lol: Maybe this explains Butler's comments about fans wearing bags over their heads.

KYPack
10-28-2009, 11:29 AM
That's 35 - 21, there ESPN.

Guess they got the 1 and the 2 transposed, like Lawrence Welk.

It's the score of the NEXT year's SB that I can never remember.

denverYooper
10-28-2009, 11:34 AM

If only you could get the flux capacitor working on the Delorean...

But how in the world are you going to generate 1.21 gigawatts?

retailguy
10-28-2009, 11:47 AM

But how in the world are you going to generate 1.21 gigawatts?

Simple. Get Partial all wigged out with a bunch of people flaming him here. Next, put him in the DeLorean and get him to "run up behind" a cop on an Indiana highway.

Presto! 1.21 gigawatts just when you need it. :whaa: :whist: :twisted:

Brandon494
10-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Didn't Favre say the samething about the 07 team in GB during training camp? I'm sorry but this year's Vikings team is not even the best team in the NFC, they should already have lost 3 games if not for that luck they recieved in the SF and BAL game.

MOBB DEEP
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Awful lot of Favre-based threads on the 1st page here at PR i see. So can i bump a few of Gex's classics from late August?

Favre's the 8th wonder of the world; guilty pleasure for some folk

Who cares if Brett says this team is his best? Maybe he said it JUS to instill confidence in the youngns/unproven teammates

NO WAY should we get mad at him for sayn it; he didnt offend our families

Brandon494
10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Awful lot of Favre-based threads on the 1st page here at PR i see. So can i bump a few of Gex's classics from late August?

Favre's the 8th wonder of the world; guilty pleasure for some folk

Who cares if Brett says this team is his best? Maybe he said it JUS to instill confidence in the youngns/unproven teammates

Who is getting mad? We are just stating reasons for why he is wrong.

Lurker64
10-28-2009, 02:43 PM

What if LeRoy Butler is my cousin?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Lord Favre!

mraynrand
10-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Clearly Prior was better than Abdullah. That should settle this debate.

BF4MVP
10-28-2009, 05:56 PM
When this year's Vikes have the number 1 offense AND number 1 defense AND win the Super Bowl, THEN they can be compared..

Until then, they're not comparable. It's '96 no question.

pbmax
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM

That's because they cancelled that one due to coaching inattention. :cry:

pbmax
10-28-2009, 06:07 PM

What if LeRoy Butler is my cousin?
Ask him for a sweet deal on a new ride from his car dealership.

pbmax
10-28-2009, 06:08 PM
When this year's Vikes have the number 1 offense AND number 1 defense AND win the Super Bowl, THEN they can be compared..

Until then, they're not comparable. It's '96 no question.
And KYPack's Delorean will be getting its 1.21 Gigawatts when lightning strikes you down for this suggestion. :lol:

Badgerinmaine
10-28-2009, 10:37 PM

But how in the world are you going to generate 1.21 gigawatts?I think you're forgetting an alternate time travel solution...
http://z.hubpages.com/u/306459_f496.jpg
"Peabody here, with my pet boy Sherman"

mraynrand
10-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Did someone mention Sherman?

http://www.dack.com/images/weblog/mike-sherman-sleeping.jpg

Remember the good old days when all we had were arguments over whether Sherman was a 'horrible' GM versus an 'average' GM? Or argued over paying 'Ole Cleedeeus all those free agent monies? Those were the days.

Bossman641
10-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Remember the good old days when all we had were arguments over whether Sherman was a 'horrible' GM versus an 'average' GM? Or argued over paying 'Ole Cleedeeus all those free agent monies? Those were the days.

I was thinking of some of those the other day.

What about Carroll vs. Gamble? Classic

Fritz
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Ah, the Joe Johnson signing. I was in favor of that, I was. Until the guy showed up...or didn't.

Better yet was the R Kal Truluck trade. Remember that? Was it a fifth and a sixth for a guy who was a refugee from the CFL?

MichiganPackerFan
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
The ferguson v chambers argument was always fun too. In the long run, they've been about the same: neither one ever turned into anything special.