PDA

View Full Version : Green passes Jackson on depth chart?!

packers11
10-28-2009, 12:15 PM
www.rotoworod.com

Ahman Green has already passed Brandon Jackson on the depth chart and is now the Packers' No. 2 tailback.

Green reported leaner than ever last week, so it's not surprising that he's already Green Bay's new third-down back. The Packers have clearly soured on Jackson despite giving him a season-high nine carries in Week 7.

Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter

Very interesting. Does this mean we will see him in action against the Vikings? What does this say about Jackson? :?

Cheesehead Craig
10-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Wow. Being a BJack supporter I'm disappointed.

Here's to hoping that Green shows flashes of the ability he had several seasons ago.

rbaloha1
10-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Jackson is too injury prone. Still hope the Packers stay with him but draft a Sproles type rb.

red
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
i'm not surprised

other then the one big game (i think it was last year) he hasn't shown me anything at all

i'm starting to move towards the cj spiller bandwagon for next years draft if there isn't a sound LT available

him and grant would be a great 1-2 punch IMO

Fritz
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
It says Bjack better hope that farm he bought outside of Lincoln works out.

Brandon494
10-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Not surprised, Green is a better pass blocker and hands out of the backfield. BJack has been a real disappointment since being drafted, I thought he would do well in the ZBS when he was first drafted.

Maxie the Taxi
10-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Official depth chart on Packers.com still shows Jackson as #2, Green #3.

I'm in no position to judge whether Green is better/worse than last time he was here, but let's hope he hangs onto the ball.

I loved the Green of old (except for fumbles) and never could warm up to Jackson, though he showed spurts of goodness.

Since I'm old school, I have got to go with the veteran player, even if he's rusty.

sharpe1027
10-28-2009, 06:06 PM

I'm in no position to judge whether Green is better/worse than last time he was here, but let's hope he hangs onto the ball.

I loved the Green of old (except for fumbles) and never could warm up to Jackson, though he showed spurts of goodness.

Since I'm old school, I have got to go with the veteran player, even if he's rusty.

The idea that Green as a fumbler was been vastly overstated:
Carries-fumble:

Ahman Green - 72.0 (2,015/28)
A Peterson - 48.1 (739/15)
R Grant - 103 (618/6)
S Jackson - 67.4 (1,367/20)
F. Gore - 52.2 (991/19)
MJD - 63.8 (638/10)
J Stewart 277.3 (1,109/4) - Now that is good!

pbmax
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM

The idea that Green as a fumbler was been vastly overstated:
Carries-fumble:

Ahman Green - 72.0 (2,015/28)
A Peterson - 48.1 (739/15)
R Grant - 103 (618/6)
S Jackson - 67.4 (1,367/20)
F. Gore - 52.2 (991/19)
MJD - 63.8 (638/10)
J Stewart 277.3 (1,109/4) - Now that is good!
Yeah, but it was always the first couple games of the season when he couldn't find the handle. We should have talked Detroit into signing him first THEN pick him up off waivers.

Then again, if the Mike Sherman's, CSI College Station, theory of sweat is correct, a cool gametime temperature might help us out.

No I'm not that excited about Sunday's Game, why do you ask?

red
10-28-2009, 07:20 PM
he always had the fumbling problem when it was warm and he was sweating

later on in the season when it got colder, he held on better

lets hope its cold enough

Brandon494
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Bring back the rubber sleeves! :)

red
10-28-2009, 08:44 PM

the rubber sleeves didn't fix the problem, they got wet and became worse

i think it was the cloth ones that worked best, the ones that looked like shin guards and his arms

it seemed like such a simple common sense fix at the time, yoou wonder why it took so long for someone to figure it out

red
10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
i think these were the ones that finally fixed the problem

http://www.nflfreaks.com/images/Players/NFLF-Ahman_Green_102906.jpg[/list]

denverYooper
10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
He is going to be a bit of a wildcard come Sunday, isn't he?

No one really knows what to expect from the guy, except the GB coaching staff...

bobblehead
10-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I never bought into the sweating theory. I think he is like Darren College. His focus isn't there until he gets reemed a few times for not doing his job well. Then he hunkers down and focuses a bit better. My prediction (and god I hope I'm wrong) is that Green will fumble at least once in his first 2 games (if he gets 15 touches or more total).

The Shadow
10-28-2009, 09:05 PM
I suspect the Vikings will be thinking screen every time Green steps onto the field Sunday. I'm sure they read the same practice reports we do,
Might be a good idea to use his first entrance to have the defense thinking screen - while Rodgers looks for the big play downfield.

The Leaper
10-28-2009, 09:08 PM
This is ALL about Green's hands out of the backfield. We need someone capable of slowing a pass rush as a receiving threat.

Jimx29
10-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Yet another cunning drafting stunt by TT.

MichiganPackerFan
10-29-2009, 07:53 AM
One thing I always loved about AG was how he finished his runs. He'd always put a good lick on the defender when he was about to get tackled.

mission
10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
One thing I always loved about AG was how he finished his runs. He'd always put a good lick on the defender when he was about to get tackled.

Ya look at that pic that red posted... you know that's what's going on there!

I'm not really expecting anything because the guy is 32 years old but think about it in the other light and you see a guy who's two years removed from signing a 27 million dollar (right?) contract and because of injury really hasn't taken too many hits during this time. Houston wasn't exactly an offensive line powerhouse running all over everyone back then.

Just sayin... this could turn into one of those topics that really excites the team this year. Green and Grant, Green and Gold ... I mean... who knows?

I just see a sliver of genius in the potential of this :)

Maxie the Taxi
10-29-2009, 08:28 AM
I think the excitement over Green is one part nostalgia and two parts the lack of depth behind Grant.

Wynn and Jackson show flashes of good, but they can't stay healthy.

If we had top notch guys behind Grant, we wouldn't get so excited about a Lumpkin or Sutton in preseason.

I'm hoping Green is super-impressive and super-effective: the Green of old. If not, what does that say about the guys he vaulted over in the depth chart with lightening speed?

Smidgeon
10-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm hoping Green is super-impressive and super-effective: the Green of old. If not, what does that say about the guys he vaulted over in the depth chart with lightening speed?

It says that Wynn is on IR, Lumpkin isn't good enough to beat out a couple of free agent veterans for the back up RB position, and BJack isn't impressive consistently.

Brandon494
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Green might not have the home run speed like he use to but he can pass block and catch better than Wynn and B Jackson and thats all we really need from our 3rd down back.

sharpe1027
10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
I suspect the Vikings will be thinking screen every time Green steps onto the field Sunday. I'm sure they read the same practice reports we do,
Might be a good idea to use his first entrance to have the defense thinking screen - while Rodgers looks for the big play downfield.

I hope so. It would be a big win for the Packers if the Vikings were even a half-second slower on their rushes.

Cheesehead Craig
10-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Green might not have the home run speed like he use to but he can pass block and catch better than Wynn and B Jackson and thats all we really need from our 3rd down back.
I'll believe that when I see it on the field. BJack was a very good 3rd down back, albeit when healthy.

Brandon494
10-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I'll believe that when I see it on the field. BJack was a very good 3rd down back, albeit when healthy.

I wouldn't say very good, he had good hands out of the backfield but was a very poor pass blocker, also as you mentioned the fact that he can never stay healthy.

Guiness
10-29-2009, 12:18 PM

i think it was the cloth ones that worked best, the ones that looked like shin guards and his arms

it seemed like such a simple common sense fix at the time, yoou wonder why it took so long for someone to figure it out

It was a Monday night game when he switched away from the black rubber sleeves - I remember, because Madden was announcing. Green had just put the ball on the ground for what I believe was the second time that game, and Madden did his RW/FFW thing a few times at the half, and said it looked like the sleeves were the problem. Green came out for the second half w/o them, and held on to the ball. I never saw those black sleeves again, and honestly, I never really remember him fumbling the ball all that much after that!

MichiganPackerFan
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM

It was a Monday night game when he switched away from the black rubber sleeves - I remember, because Madden was announcing. Green had just put the ball on the ground for what I believe was the second time that game, and Madden did his RW/FFW thing a few times at the half, and said it looked like the sleeves were the problem. Green came out for the second half w/o them, and held on to the ball. I never saw those black sleeves again, and honestly, I never really remember him fumbling the ball all that much after that!

I remember that. Wasn't that against PHI and the came back to squeak by?

Guiness
10-29-2009, 12:28 PM
If Green has passed BJack on the depth chart, I'm thinking that spells the beginning of the end for him. Bringing Green in because of a lack of depth, and wanting a veteran backup is one thing. Having him pass start climbing the depth chart, at a time when BJack should be coming into his own is something else altogether.

Maxie the Taxi
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
If Green has passed BJack on the depth chart, I'm thinking that spells the beginning of the end for him. Bringing Green in because of a lack of depth, and wanting a veteran backup is one thing. Having him pass start climbing the depth chart, at a time when BJack should be coming into his own is something else altogether.

As of a few seconds ago, Ijathus Illimski Allen was officially on the depth chart as the third string WR.

Green was still the third string RB.

Cheesehead Craig
10-29-2009, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't say very good, he had good hands out of the backfield but was a very poor pass blocker, also as you mentioned the fact that he can never stay healthy.
I thought his pass protection was just fine. He didn't blow assignments. Add in that Green hasn't been healthy in 2+ seasons and I don't see the great improvement on 3rd down as others do.

Smidgeon
10-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Wynn had the third down role locked up before he got hurt. I seem to remember coaches raving that he was the best RB pass blocker on the team. Yeah, he's also got the team lead for highest correlation of years in the NFL and years ending on IR at 1:1, but I thought his pass blocking (per coaches) was much better than BJack's.

Maxie the Taxi
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Wynn had the third down role locked up before he got hurt. I seem to remember coaches raving that he was the best RB pass blocker on the team. Yeah, he's also got the team lead for highest correlation of years in the NFL and years ending on IR at 1:1, but I thought his pass blocking (per coaches) was much better than BJack's.

Wynn held that IR record in the SEC too.

Smidgeon
10-29-2009, 01:34 PM

Wynn held that IR record in the SEC too.

It's nice to know that he's consistent. According to Linus as he's trying to put a positive spin on Charlie Brown's failure to win a single baseball game as the team's manager, we call that "a perfect record".

Cheesehead Craig
10-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Just wanted to point out that while I'm a BJack fan, I hope like hell that Green performs as well as many here (including myself) hope he does.

pbmax
10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
It was Jackson's role last year. Wynn won it by default this year after the training camp injury to Jackson. Wynn was a very good blocker, but the coaches must have liked Jackson better in catching and running and health.

Green spent time Thursday doing live, full pad blocking drills with Cyril Obiozor. Seems as though they are taking this seriously.

Maxie the Taxi
10-31-2009, 07:34 PM
In his presser yesterday McCarthy talked about Green being used to cover kicks and also to return kicks!

If he's serious, I guess I don't understand that kind of thinking. (Now watch him return a kick for a hundred yards).

HarveyWallbangers
10-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Green was a great kickoff returner in Seattle--before he became too valuable as a full-time back. Not saying he can do it nowadays though.