PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign Spitz

Pack0514
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
From JSO:

Packers sign rookie lineman Spitz

The Green Bay Packers have reached agreement on a four-year deal with third-round draft choice Jason Spitz.

The Louisville offensive lineman became the eighth Packers draft choice to agree to terms, leaving just four unsigned heading into the first training camp practice Friday evening.

The 6-4, 313-pound Spitz started 38 games at Louisville and enters camp No. 1 on the Packers' depth chart at right guard. The Packers drafted Spitz with the hope he could fill one of the three interior line positions and it wasn't long before they settled on a position that was considered a weakness last season.

Still unsigned are: first-round pick A.J. Hawk, second-round pick Daryn Colledge, third-round pick Abdul Hodge and fifth-round pick Ingle Martin.

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 02:50 PM
From JSO:

Packers sign rookie lineman Spitz

The Green Bay Packers have reached agreement on a four-year deal with third-round draft choice Jason Spitz.

The Louisville offensive lineman became the eighth Packers draft choice to agree to terms, leaving just four unsigned heading into the first training camp practice Friday evening.

The 6-4, 313-pound Spitz started 38 games at Louisville and enters camp No. 1 on the Packers' depth chart at right guard. The Packers drafted Spitz with the hope he could fill one of the three interior line positions and it wasn't long before they settled on a position that was considered a weakness last season.

Still unsigned are: first-round pick A.J. Hawk, second-round pick Daryn Colledge, third-round pick Abdul Hodge and fifth-round pick Ingle Martin.

T minus 4.... :D

BallHawk
07-26-2006, 02:58 PM
TT is doing a good job getting everyone into camp.

pittstang5
07-26-2006, 03:10 PM
We're getting there. I'm surprised Martin (5th round) hasn't been signed yet. What's the deal with him? He probably wants some kind of incentive if he beats out Rogers in camp. :wink:

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 03:14 PM
We're getting there. I'm surprised Martin (5th round) hasn't been signed yet. What's the deal with him? He probably wants some kind of incentive if he beats out Rogers in camp. :wink:

And on the depth chart he was listed 4th.... behind Tom Arth - a journeyman to be from the Colts.

Wonder if they know something we don't....

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 03:31 PM

And on the depth chart he was listed 4th.... behind Tom Arth - a journeyman to be from the Colts.

As I see it. It would be in Engle Martin's best interests, to ink a contract with us. As after Favre he will be in a fine position, to be OUR starter.

This is a young and very athletic QB that may be the answer after Brett Favre says good bye.That won't be much longer, if we don't surprise this season.

Rastak
07-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Packers | Spitz deal is for four years
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:29:37 -0700

Updating previous reports, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Green Bay Packers rookie OL Jason Spitz signed a four-year deal with the team. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Lare
07-26-2006, 07:52 PM
TT is doing a good job getting everyone into camp.

Other than maybe signing off on deals after the negotiations are complete, I don't thing TT has much to do with contracts. IMO, praise for getting rookies into camp should go to Andrew Brandt.

HarveyWallbangers
07-26-2006, 09:24 PM

Arth was released. I wonder if the guy making the depth chart didn't know something we did.

Fosco33
07-26-2006, 09:27 PM

Arth was released. I wonder if the guy making the depth chart didn't know something we did.

EDIT- So, he was just released today.... makes sense why he was still on the depth chart then. I still wonder why they had him 3rd though (is it just normal practise to have a rookie, high round draft pick at the bottom)?

Chaz Williams (RB) was also released today.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Thats a Spitz in the bucket.

green_bowl_packer
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
This article here is most likely amended and added to the original. This one indicates Spitz is going to be paid as if he's a starter. Wonder what that means for Colledge?

Rookie signs starter deal
Spitz gets four-year, $2.35 million deal
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Posted: July 26, 2006

If everything goes to form, rookie Jason Spitz will be a starter on the Green Bay Packers' offensive line. His new contract reflects as much.

Spitz signed a four-year contract Wednesday worth roughly $2.35 million, including a signing bonus of $742,250, according to his agent, Ralph Cindrich. The signing bonus was more than $8,000 higher than the player selected in the spot after Spitz, which might have been a concession to Spitz's expected starting role.

A third-round pick, No. 75 overall, Spitz impressed the coaching staff in off-season workouts so much that he replaced second-year pro Junius Coston as the starter at right guard. The 6-foot-4, 313-pound Spitz started 38 games in a row at Louisville and was drafted with the thought that he could fill any of the three line spots.

Spitz is guaranteed nothing, but early indications are the coaches view him as a strong candidate to start.

"There are a couple of things about Jason," Cindrich said. "One is he is extremely intelligent but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve. His father played at Yale. It's interesting because he's very respectful, but on the field he's one of the (orneriest) kids you'll come across. He's the type of guy that his qualities provide for leadership."

Included in the deal is an escalator clause that will reward Spitz well beyond the $530,000 base salary he is scheduled to earn in the fourth year if he starts the majority of the games his first three years.

Spitz is the eighth of 12 Packers draft picks to reach agreement on a contract.

Talks continue with first-round pick A.J. Hawk, but with only four of 32 first-rounders in the NFL signed to deals, it could be a while before the stalemate between agents and teams breaks. Hawk's representatives have been in daily contact with Packers vice president of finance Andrew Brandt.

The Packers aren't quite seeing eye-to-eye with second-round guard Daryn Colledge, third-round linebacker Abdul Hodge and fifth-round quarterback Ingle Martin. However, negotiations with Colledge have advanced and there's a good chance he will be in camp on time. It is unlikely Martin will report late, but Hodge's on-time arrival is in question.

The Packers' first camp practice is Friday evening.

The Packers also announced two other transactions. They released running back/returner Chaz Williams and quarterback Tom Arth.

Williams signed as an undrafted rookie last year and broke his ankle early in training camp. He spent the year on injured reserve and faced an uphill battle to make the roster after the Packers drafted two potential returners.

Arth was signed during the off-season, but was no better than fourth on the depth chart.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 10:55 PM
I can hardly wait until the first preseason game. Then we can FINALLY have a semi-intelligent conversation about Spitz & Colledge. Until we see them attempt to block NFL players from other teams, it's all just farting dust.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 11:08 PM
"it's all just farting dust." HH

mmmmm.

Is that in the same Family Harlan, as Angel Dust?

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 11:15 PM
huh. I always say "farting dust" to mean "blowing smoke out your ass", or "spinning your wheels." But I see on the internet people use it to mean getting old. And then there's this odd definition from urbandictionary.com:

1. farting dust a term used in bars and other drinking establishments to let the bartender know just how thirsty one is.
Hey! I'm "farting dust" ova heeya who do I blow to get a drink?

Bretsky
07-26-2006, 11:20 PM
How the heck can Ingle Frickin Martin not see eye to eye with GB; sign him for what the 5th round pick in that spot last year signed for.

AND if he doesn't like it, trade him for Nall. Ya, Bring back Nall ! Gureski started his fan club if I recall.

Fritz
07-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Not sure what Martin or his agent is thinking. Umm, everybody around you in the organization has signed, and three quarters of the picks in the 5th round, too. Your turn, buddy. You need to sign so you can practice and get reps and get fitted for your baseball hat and clipboard.

I'm guessing Hodge will see Spitz's deal and want something similar, though the Packers see Spitz as a starter and Hodge as backup help, for now. What did happen to Junius Coston, anyway? How'd he lose his spot?

Don't know what's up with Colledge.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm guessing Hodge will see Spitz's deal and want something similar, though the Packers see Spitz as a starter and Hodge as backup help, for now. What did happen to Junius Coston, anyway? How'd he lose his spot?

Don't know what's up with Colledge.

Spitz, Hodge, Coston, Colledge - it's just the Packer Writers who have decided whether these guys are starters or backups. The guys haven't even put on their shoulder pads for the 2006 season! We need a month of training camp for the cream to fill the jean. Or whatever that expression is.

MJZiggy
07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Cream rises first, dear.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
" Gureski started his fan club if I recall. " B.

Yea - that's right - sure it is . LOL.

Guerski ! BIG , very BIG Craig Nall Packer fan supporter.