PDA

View Full Version : What if Favre pulls an Elway

AtlPackFan
11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Lets say Favre sticks around another 2-3 years and in that time he wins a couple of Super Bowls? Does he still go into the HOF as a Packer?

Not a statement or an opinion....just asking. I think he goes in as a Packer but is there a chance???

I was always surprised with how Molitor left the Brewers and the success he had in Toronto that he went in as a Brewer.

denverYooper
11-01-2009, 01:09 PM
He can't pull an Elway. Elway wasn't a traitor.

mission
11-01-2009, 01:14 PM

And there you have it.

esoxx
11-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Tell that to Colts fans.

denverYooper
11-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Seriously, though, a player goes as a representative of all teams for which they played. No matter what happens, he "goes" officially as a Falcon, Packer, Jet, Viking.

The whole concept of what he goes as depends on the collective perception of football/Favre fans. As far as I'm concerned he'd go largely based on his body of work with the Green Bay Packers. Anything that happens to his doppelganger is extraneous.

Bretsky
11-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Tell that to Colts fans.

DITTO

AtlPackFan
11-01-2009, 01:17 PM
OK, since there seems to be a problem with the Elway analogy, let me re-ask the question: If Favre stays with the Vikings 2-3 more years and wins a couple of Super Bowls AND considering the messy divorce and hard feelings, does he still go into the HOF as a Packer?

AtlPackFan
11-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Seriously, though, a player goes as a representative of all teams for which they played. No matter what happens, he "goes" officially as a Falcon, Packer, Jet, Viking.

The whole concept of what he goes as depends on the collective perception of football/Favre fans. As far as I'm concerned he'd go largely based on his body of work with the Green Bay Packers. Anything that happens to his doppelganger is extraneous.

Really? Interesting. I wonder how many Eagles fans were happy that Reggie went in as a Packer? Not saying they weren't...just wondering?

AtlPackFan
11-01-2009, 01:21 PM

Tell that to Colts fans.

That was my thought too. Of course that was before his playing career started so he DID play his whole career in Denver. Still...I'm sure a lot of Colt fans still bristle at the mention of his name.

Bretsky
11-01-2009, 01:22 PM
OK, since there seems to be a problem with the Elway analogy, let me re-ask the question: If Favre stays with the Vikings 2-3 more years and wins a couple of Super Bowls AND considering the messy divorce and hard feelings, does he still go into the HOF as a Packer?

Yes, I do think he still goes in as a Packer

He's a Packer legend and the majority of his wonderful career was in Green Bay

If he'd win a couple Super Bowls for the Vikes that would solidify the legend as being one of the best ever if he's not already there

AtlPackFan
11-01-2009, 01:22 PM

Yes, I do think he still goes in as a Packer

He's a Packer legend and the majority of his wonderful career was in Green Bay

If he'd win a couple Super Bowls for the Vikes that would solidify the legend as being one of the best ever if he's not already there

Good post! Thanks.

Pugger
11-01-2009, 01:27 PM
A player doesn't go in under ANY team name. They list his accomplishments and his bust shows no team affiliation. But if he wins a couple of SBs wearing purple I will become violently ill...

denverYooper
11-01-2009, 01:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame#Induction_ceremony

Enshrinees do not go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of a certain team. Rather, all of an inductee's affiliations are listed equally.[6] While the Baseball Hall of Fame plaques generally depict each of their inductees wearing a particular club's cap (with a few exceptions, such as Catfish Hunter), the bust sculptures of each Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee make no reference to any specific team.

AtlPackFan
11-01-2009, 01:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame#Induction_ceremony

Enshrinees do not go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of a certain team. Rather, all of an inductee's affiliations are listed equally.[6] While the Baseball Hall of Fame plaques generally depict each of their inductees wearing a particular club's cap (with a few exceptions, such as Catfish Hunter), the bust sculptures of each Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee make no reference to any specific team.

Sorry, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I just always assumed they went in as a representative of a team. My bad.

gbgary
11-01-2009, 01:31 PM
A player doesn't go in under ANY team name. They list his accomplishments and his bust shows no team affiliation.

this...

and elway never really was a colt!!

Bretsky
11-01-2009, 01:38 PM
A player doesn't go in under ANY team name. They list his accomplishments and his bust shows no team affiliation.

this...

If they were smarter he would have been.

They should have told him to take his sorry @ss to baseball and he'd have broken and ended up there

Little Whiskey
11-01-2009, 10:24 PM

this...

They should have told him to take his sorry @ss to baseball and he'd have broken and ended up there

and the pack would have won another superbowl. another reason to dislike he colts

Tyrone Bigguns
11-01-2009, 10:51 PM

this...

How do you know that? He had already played Baseball for two years in the minors. More likely he continues on that path and then reenters the draft or the Colts realize that they are getting nothing for him and trade him.

Considering he hit over 300 for Oneonta with 4 home runs, 25 RBIs, and 13 stolen bases.

Steinbrenner and the Yanks are the premier team in the league, and Steinbrenner had paid Elway around 150K just to play 6 weeks of ball at Oneonta.

i'd say i'm glad you weren't the Colts GM. :lol:

BallHawk
11-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Nobody cares. That wasn't the point. :roll:

Tyrone Bigguns
11-01-2009, 11:03 PM

Taking a leave from the Ruvell Martin message board?

BallHawk
11-01-2009, 11:04 PM

Taking a leave from the Ruvell Martin message board?

Yeah, all the Rams fans are getting a bit too giddy about beating the Lions so I decided to come here.

pbmax
11-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I am not sure it would have been that easy for the Colts to bring him in. Robert Irsay was looked upon as the guy who killed football in Baltimore and his reputation got crushed as he took a model franchise and make some disastrous decisions. Shortly after buying the team, he had a 3 year run of playoffs (mid 70s) and then got there once more in the 80s I believe. But his reputation was as a lousy football owner. Some of that was spillover from bailing on Baltimore in the middle of the night, but the team rarely performed well under his leadership. The Indianapolis decision made financial sense and Baltimore (along with the State of Maryland) killed off several projects to build the Colts a new stadium, but he was thought to be erratic and not a good spokesman for his own cause.

The odd thing was that Jim Irsay at one point was publicly thought to be some sort of overgrown flower child and uninterested in football. But after he assumed control, they straightened out and eventually hired Bill Polian. By then, Elway was an old QB for the Broncos.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Well Favre is blessed. Bottom line is you don't play 18 straight seasons without missing a start minuse the first 3 games of the season in 1992.

Saying that Favre has this season, and maybe one more to go for a Super Bowl. The first 8 games of the season are a little bit easier to go through than the last 8 games of the season.

Also the Vikings defense is not good enough to win a Super Bowl, much less get to one. The Vikings are going to have a very hard time getting past New Orleans, and if the Eagles get some things straightened out, they are going to be a really tough team to stop late in the season with all of there young talent.

I hope Favre wins another Super Bowl, but I think his bid will run short this year based on what I have seen of the Vikings defense.

Partial
11-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Well Favre is blessed. Bottom line is you don't play 18 straight seasons without missing a start minuse the first 3 games of the season in 1992.

Saying that Favre has this season, and maybe one more to go for a Super Bowl. The first 8 games of the season are a little bit easier to go through than the last 8 games of the season.

Also the Vikings defense is not good enough to win a Super Bowl, much less get to one. The Vikings are going to have a very hard time getting past New Orleans, and if the Eagles get some things straightened out, they are going to be a really tough team to stop late in the season with all of there young talent.

I hope Favre wins another Super Bowl, but I think his bid will run short this year based on what I have seen of the Vikings defense.

Eagles are looking like they're starting to peak.

I'm not completely sold on NO, I feel like NY is in a slump as Philly dominated them just as effectively as NO did. I don't know what's going on with them.

I do think the Vikes defense is good enough to get the super bowl. They're leading the league in sacks, probably a result of playing the turnstyle in GB twice, but still... pretty good. They have as good of a DL as there is in the NFL. Maybe NY has a better one.

I feel like you can take away the NO offense if you can get to Brees. They don't have a lights out runner. With Minne its kind of pick your poison.

I just have this convo today with a buddy of mine. He think Minne is 4th best behind Philly, NO and Dallas in that order.

My order was Minne, Philly, NO, NY

packers11
11-02-2009, 12:50 AM
NO in their dome = unstoppable

If they have home-field advantage in the playoffs, barring a huge upset they will cruise by everyone...

That new 4-3 coordinator has turned that D around.

Partial
11-02-2009, 12:53 AM
NO in their dome = unstoppable

If they have home-field advantage in the playoffs, barring a huge upset they will cruise by everyone...

That new 4-3 coordinator has turned that D around.

Not saying I disagree with you, but do you think they could run on the Vikes if the Vikes managed to take away the pass?

I don't know that they could. I'm also not confident there D can stop the Vikes. Like I said, if you take the pass away Pete is gonna run all over you. If you load up the box, they'll run the play action and beat you that way.

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 03:57 AM
Baseball's HOF is where there's the controversy about "what team he'll go in under" because their plaques feature the player wearing a cap of a particular team. It used to be that the player chose what team, but not the HOF makes the decision for him (takes the heat off a player who played on multiple teams). If the NFL were like that, of course Favre would go in as a Packer, but that's not the way it works; the Pro Football HOF busts show no helmet.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 06:40 AM

I think somewhere along the line you have to ask yourself if you think Favre should have retired following the 2007 season. The Packers didn't want him after all the dithering and the Dec. fades, but was the guy finished? He didn't look finished yesterday - or any day so far this year - or last year before he got injured. IF you're Brett Favre, and you don't like the whole training camp routine, you don't much like the offseason workouts any more, but you can still play on Sunday, and you can find a team with shitty QBs that wants you more than they want you to toe the line, why wouldn't you still play? Is Favre a traitor because he didn't agree with Thompson that he should retire?

Scott Campbell
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
I think he'll go in as a Bear, just to stick it to Ted.

Scott Campbell
11-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Is Favre a traitor because he didn't agree with Thompson that he should retire?

Not at all.

Favre's a traitor for burning all the bridges on the way out of town.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Is Favre a traitor because he didn't agree with Thompson that he should retire?

Not at all.

Favre's a traitor for burning all the bridges on the way out of town.

I take your point.

ThunderDan
11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I do think the Vikes defense is good enough to get the super bowl. They're leading the league in sacks, probably a result of playing the turnstyle in GB twice, but still... pretty good. They have as good of a DL as there is in the NFL. Maybe NY has a better one.

I feel like you can take away the NO offense if you can get to Brees. They don't have a lights out runner. With Minne its kind of pick your poison.

I know you have checked the stats but do you realize NO has the 3rd best run offense in the league?

Partial
11-02-2009, 08:44 AM

I know you have checked the stats but do you realize NO has the 3rd best run offense in the league?

I did not know that, but I still question there D. I'm not ready to crown them.

Sparkey
11-02-2009, 08:54 AM

I think somewhere along the line you have to ask yourself if you think Favre should have retired following the 2007 season. The Packers didn't want him after all the dithering and the Dec. fades, but was the guy finished? He didn't look finished yesterday - or any day so far this year - or last year before he got injured. IF you're Brett Favre, and you don't like the whole training camp routine, you don't much like the offseason workouts any more, but you can still play on Sunday, and you can find a team with shitty QBs that wants you more than they want you to toe the line, why wouldn't you still play? Is Favre a traitor because he didn't agree with Thompson that he should retire?

I still remember the "look" on Favre's face in the 2007 NFCC game in Lambeau. Granted it was horribly cold, but he looked like he did not want to be there.

If the goal of every team is to secure home field advantage in the playoff's, then you need a quarterback that can play effectively in frigid conditions in Green Bay in January.

Favre used to be that guy, but not anymore. BUT, he is perfect to play for a team that plays the majority of its games in a hermetically sealed 67 degree environment. with no wind or rain issues

MOBB DEEP
11-02-2009, 09:17 AM
...he actually DID...

Yesterday Favre broke elway's record for yards in a stadium

Jacked-up that he had to do it as a Vike! :evil:

Set another record with Marino: number of 4 td games