PDA

View Full Version : Ignorant question 1: What could we use in a trade?

NewsBruin
07-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a negative Packer fan, rather an ignorant one.

I'm hoping that until the regular season starts, we could pick up players via free agency, rather than trades, because we have some room under the salary cap (and there's no bonus for not spending it).

But if we were to trade for a RB/OL/DT/whatever, what do we have that would be valuable enough for another team to want, but wouldn't kill us to part with?

Note: this has nothing to do with rumors, real life, or how much you like a player personally. I take all responsibilty for any name brought up.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 09:59 PM

I'm hoping that until the regular season starts, we could pick up players via free agency, rather than trades, because we have some room under the salary cap (and there's no bonus for not spending it).

But if we were to trade for a RB/OL/DT/whatever, what do we have that would be valuable enough for another team to want, but wouldn't kill us to part with?

Note: this has nothing to do with rumors, real life, or how much you like a player personality. I take all responsibilty for any name brought up.

That is a solid question that should generate alot of discussion but generally the way a trade works is one team has a player that T2 might show interest in at a certain position, and he sits down and discuss's options with the HC and Coaching staff and Brett Favre (jk) and things heat up when T2 makes an opening offer or they don't.

To get into specifics we would have to discuss this in terms of a specific player I believe. That would get the ball rolling in a hypothetical sense.

Make sense to you?

Bretsky
07-26-2006, 10:16 PM

Note: this has nothing to do with rumors, real life, or how much you like a player personality. I take all responsibilty for any name brought up.

GOOD POINTS TO PONDER

But for us to have something to part with that won't kill us requires us to have a lot of depth at a position. We do not.

I can't imagine us being able to give up a talent another team would value that would not hurt us.

We could part with a pedestrian DL, or maybe Gado if he doesn't pick up zone blocking.

But the reality is TT should be looking for guys off the waiver wire or maybe trading a conditional draft pick for a player who may or may not get cut by another team.

MJZiggy
07-26-2006, 10:19 PM
B, you wouldn't give up Fergie or Davenpoop? I thought sure one of those names would come from you... :mrgreen:

Bretsky
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
B, you wouldn't give up Fergie or Davenpoop? I thought sure one of those names would come from you... :mrgreen:

I'd give up Fergie for a Quarter Pounder with Cheese and French Fries............heck......maybe even a Basket Full or Crap (where Najeh could come in) :)

But the poster asked for players another team would value. Fergie would get us next to nothing in a trade.

I don't mind Da Crapper at all; if he'd ever stay healthy he'd be a productive backup, which is much more that I can say for Fergie.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 10:29 PM

I'd give up Fergie for a Quarter Pounder with Cheese and French Fries............heck......maybe even a Basket Full or Crap (where Najeh could come in) :)

But the poster asked for players another team would value. Fergie would get us next to nothing in a trade.

I don't mind Da Crapper at all; if he'd ever stay healthy he'd be a productive backup, which is much more that I can say for Fergie.

B. Would you consider KGB in a trade? In a package for say Jerry Porter?

Straight up.

Would you trade KGB, Robert Ferguson and Najeh Davenport straight up for Jerry Porter?

SD GB fan
07-26-2006, 10:35 PM
yes fergie and davenport. KGB..no he isnt that great against the run but i dun see much option after him cos he does produce around 10 sacks a season.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 10:38 PM
yes fergie and davenport. KGB..no he isnt that great against the run but i dun see much option after him cos he does produce around 10 sacks a season.

I see value in KGB as well.

He's one of those Packer Guys in my eyes. I have always liked him.

Bretsky
07-26-2006, 10:39 PM
That's an interesting scenario, but I think I'd pass.

First off, I'll say that I think talent wise Jerry Porter is superior to Rod Gardner. Don't care what the stats say; the stats also say Javon Walker is a one year wonder and when healthy he's a top 10 WR hands down.

Porter would start opposite Donald Driver and be a very solid addition if he can bring a good attitude in here.

But I don't want to part with KGB yet. I think MM will try to work Montgomery into the mix more and that could make KGB more valuable as a pass rusher. He sucks against the run, but he'd leave a huge void in oru defense pressuring the QB. Right now I think his loss would really hurt GB.

But if I was Ted Thompson I'd be trying to get Jerry Porter. He's a step up from any #2 WR we have on the roster IMO.

And Oakland, who often becomes enamored with potential, might acutally bit on the Fraud. Maybe we could package Ferguson, and a draft pick for Porter. I'd love to see that

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Dam I like the way you think. :mrgreen:

Bretsky
07-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Profootballtalk.com:

"RAIDERS DANGLING PORTER

We've heard from two different sources that the Oakland Raiders are willing to trade receiver Jerry Porter, if an interested partner can be identified. One source said that the Raiders discreetly have been shopping Porter for several months.

Porter was a second-round pick of the Raiders in 2000. He received a $7 million signing bonus in 2005, only a day or two before word broke of a trade that sent Randy Moss to the Bay Area.

Porter is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and 2007.

Teams that might be interested include the Eagles, Packers, Bears, Patriots, Jaguars, Saints, and 49ers."

Bretsky
07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Unhappy Porter sits out Raiders practice with calf injury
July 26, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NAPA, Calif. -- The Art Shell era has just begun and Jerry Porter is already having problems with his new coach.

Advertisement

A day after publicly demanding a trade, Porter sat out Oakland's practice Wednesday with a calf injury. While other injured players such as Ronald Curry were on the field with their teammates for part of practice, Porter was nowhere to be seen during workouts.

Porter declined to talk to reporters Wednesday, but Shell said the trade request was a "non-issue" and the team is unlikely to grant his request.

Porter told the San Francisco Chronicle in a story printed Wednesday that he has asked the Raiders to trade him. Porter described a strained relationship that began shortly after Shell took over the team in February, when Porter told the coaching staff he would do most of his offseason workouts in Florida and that "I don't like the way things are going around here."

Jerry Porter wears a belt with huge gold dollar signs. (AP)
Shell said there's nothing to "iron out" with Porter and that coaches and players don't always see "eye to eye."

"There's guys every year that might not want to be on a team, but, hey, part of this business is you play with who you've got," Shell said. "If we have somebody on this team that's here, whether he said he wants to be here or not, if he's doing what he's supposed to do, then we'll go to work."

Porter left Tuesday's morning practice wearing a belt adorned with huge gold dollar signs. He came out for the afternoon practice Tuesday, but did not participate because of the calf injury.

Shell said he would check on Porter's status with the training staff Thursday.

"He wasn't out there, so we have to move forward," Shell said.

Porter is in the second year of a five-year deal worth $20 million, making it difficult for the Raiders to cut or trade him because of salary cap issues.

Porter was sidelined for much of training camp last year with a pulled hamstring, missing three weeks of practice and all four preseason games. He made it back for the season opener, but started slowly and did not catch his first touchdown pass until the seventh game.

"I wasn't here last year so I don't know that," Shell said. "It's always important that every player make practice. Practice makes you better. Every rep you get makes you better, so the quicker we can get any of our injured guys back the better off we'll be."

Porter, a second-round pick out of West Virginia in 2000, has 239 catches for 3,215 yards and 24 touchdowns in six seasons with the Raiders. He has never reached 1,000 yards receiving in a season, missing the mark narrowly with 998 yards in 2004 and 942 last season.

Porter, who led the team with 76 catches last season, is being counted on as the No. 2 receiver behind Randy Moss. The team has few proven options behind those two receivers.

Curry is coming back from his second consecutive season-ending injury to his left Achilles' tendon and has had more than five catches in a season only once in four years in the NFL.

Doug Gabriel, who has 71 catches for 1,122 yards in three seasons, is the other option.

Another possibility, Carlos Francis, had to be helped off the field Wednesday with a left hamstring injury and was to undergo an MRI. Francis injured the same hamstring on the first day of practice last year and missed most of camp.

"It was an unfortunate thing because Carlos has been working good in the offseason and the last couple of days," Shell said. "Hopefully it's not too serious."

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 10:49 PM
KGB is the only player of value that I would even consider trading. But our depth at DE is not so hot.

The other players mentioned - Davenpoop, Fergy, probably don't have any value. Ahman Carroll probably has more upside than trade value.

You might get something for Favre, which makes sense for long term. But probably you wouldn't get enough to justify the damage to 2006.

MJZiggy
07-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Harlan, you can't trade Favre. He won't go.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Harlan, you can't trade Favre. He won't go.

Please ! Have some mercy.

That's on the agenda for next Feb. / Mar.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2006, 11:07 PM
We need to wait until Favre's hair is TOTALLY grey before trading him. Ya, maybe next March, it depends on the new Oline.

woodbuck27
07-26-2006, 11:10 PM
We need to wait until Favre's hair is TOTALLY grey before trading him. Ya, maybe next March, it depends on the new Oline.

Yaaaa ! Forget the hair he may loose his beautiful head.