PDA

View Full Version : JSO Poll:Toughest loss Packer fans have ever had to swallow?

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 04:18 AM
This morning's JSO asks the question of whether the loss yesterday at Lambeau to the Vikings was the toughest loss Packers fans have ever had to swallow:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/68411162.html

My personal vote would be "no". The 4th and 26 loss to the Eagles hurt more; the Super Bowl loss to Denver hurt more, too. The loss that scarred me most was the 1972 playoff loss to Washington; I am just barely too young to remember the Super Bowl I and II wins--my memories start with the 1968 season after Lombardi was gone as coach--and until the strike year (1982) that was the only Packer playoff game I remembered. Even with all the drama last night, those other losses were more crucial games. What do you say?

MJZiggy
11-02-2009, 06:10 AM
The NFCC game in '07.

sheepshead
11-02-2009, 06:46 AM
The NFCC game in '07.

or 4th and 26

TravisWilliams23
11-02-2009, 06:47 AM
1. Super Bowl loss to the Broncos.
2. Playoff loss to the 49ers where Rice fumbled but no call.
3. 4th and 26.

Yesterdays loss just a regular season loss. I'm disappointed with the 1st half showing on offense. The game leaves a lot of questions about this team.

But no way was it the toughest loss.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Every playoff loss is much worse. Losing at MN in '92 to miss the playoff was much worse. It was a regular season game against our toughest rival - who is better than the Packers. It sucks, but it's only that.

mmmdk
11-02-2009, 06:51 AM
3. 4th and 26.

Yesterdays loss just a regular season loss. I'm disappointed with the 1st half showing on offense. The game leaves a lot of questions about this team.

I second that emotion.

sheepshead
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
3. 4th and 26.

Oh yeah . Add Holmys first game back that Rhodes lost.

gbgary
11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
3. 4th and 26.

those above and maybe that thanksgiving day game to the cowboys when we had a big lead and ended up losing to their backups.

Sparkey
11-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Add to that the six pick/ eight turnover performance by the Pack in a playoff game in St Louis in 2002.

This was no worse than any other division loss. Its not like they lost to a bad team.

Bretsky
11-02-2009, 08:25 AM
right now this team looks like a playoff contender as opposed to a Super Bowl Contender. So I'd say no for sure

The Eagles, Denver and Giants losses hurt a lot more; I'd vote the Giants was the worst or the loss to Denver in the Super Bowl

This one you could see coming

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Two more games I think hurt more than the Favre homecoming game last night:
1. The first-ever Packers playoff loss at Lambeau, which happened in 2002 to Michael Vick and the Falcons. Pack was a prohibitive favorite but was blown out 27-7. That was a truly stunning defeat.
2. The 2004 playoff loss to the Vikings at Lambeau was also an upset that was hard to take.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I'd have to say the Giants was the absolute worst, followed closely by the Broncos. Broncos - they lost the opportunity to be a back-to-back Superbowl winning team. Championships are what you play for. That really sucked.

Giants - the stars were aligned - the Packers got homefield, they had just played magnificently in beating Seattle - they had a chance to go to the Superbowl and Favre had a chance to face Brady and - if he won - to hands down be considered the best QB of all time - as a Packer. You beat the best in the Superbowl, with all those stats, it's hard to argue against you. Plus, I had four tickets lined up (Won the ticket lottery ) and had two tix from a friend. Was going to meet the 'rents there for first Superbowl ever. Plus, Favre plays like shit in the second half - looks cold and pathetic - and his last pass as a Packer is a weak-hearted, wimpy, casual interception to the only receiver who was covered on the play - AFTER the Packers had numerous lucky breaks to still be in the game. The Horror, the HORROR!

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 08:39 AM
1. The first-ever Packers playoff loss at Lambeau, which happened in 2002 to Michael Vick and the Falcons. Pack was a prohibitive favorite but was blown out 27-7. That was a truly stunning defeat. .

It's not stunning when you lose to a team you barely beat in Aug. when you are missing 9 starters after halftime. The Packers were a whipped beaten team coming into that game. They should have been prohibitive underdogs. They sucked - they barely beat bad Vikings and Bears teams at home down the stretch. When faced with a decent Jets team, they got it handed to them. They were a bad, bad football team. Anyone who thought they were close to Atlanta was fooling themselves. Still, it was a painful loss, and because it was the playoffs and the first home playoff loss, i agree that it was a bitter loss - far worse than yesterday.

sheepshead
11-02-2009, 08:42 AM
1. The first-ever Packers playoff loss at Lambeau, which happened in 2002 to Michael Vick and the Falcons. Pack was a prohibitive favorite but was blown out 27-7. That was a truly stunning defeat. .

It's not stunning when you lose to a team you barely beat in Aug. when you are missing 9 starters after halftime. The Packers were a whipped beaten team coming into that game. They should have been prohibitive underdogs. They sucked - they barely beat bad Vikings and Bears teams at home down the stretch. When faced with a decent Jets team, they got it handed to them. They were a bad, bad football team. Anyone who thought they were close to Atlanta was fooling themselves. Still, it was a painful loss, and because it was the playoffs and the first home playoff loss, i agree that it was a bitter loss - far worse than yesterday.

Yeah, the pack were a shell of their former selves that year. The worse part was Art Blank walking down the sideline with a big smile on his face. Loosing to that idiot and his gimmick quarterback sucked.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 10:16 AM
1. Loss to the Broncos in the Super Bowl
2. Loss at Lambeau to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game
3. Loss to the Eagles in the Divisional round of the Playoff, 4-26.
4. Loss to the Falcons at home in the Wildcard round of the Playoffs
5. Loss to San Francisco in the Wildcard round of the Playoffs
6. Loss to the Cowboys in Dallas for the NFC Championship game
7. Loss to the Vikings in 1992 to keep the Packers out of the Playoffs.
8. Loss to the Rams in St Louis, Favre's 6 int performance.
9. Loss to Dallas in Dallas in 1993 Playoffs
10. Loss to Dallas in Dallas 1994 Playoffs

denverYooper
11-02-2009, 10:25 AM

+1

sheepshead
11-02-2009, 10:44 AM
The death of Reggie White.

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 10:54 AM
The death of Reggie White.
Hmmm...interesting approach. That was hard, though of course it was after he retired. I think if you look at it as a person, and actually are looking on the field, I think you would have to pick Paul Hornung's 1963 year-long suspension for gambling at the top of the list. That team was loaded--it had come off of back-to-back NFL titles--and was still good enough to finish 11-2-1. But in those games, only two teams made the postseason, and the Packers lost the Western Conference title because they lost twice to the Bears, who won the conference at 11-1-2. They only scored 10 points total in those two games, and you have to think having Hornung at halfback instead of Tom Moore could have made the difference in at least one game (or the 13-13 tie to the Lions).

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
Good list, though I still say the 1972 loss to the Redskins (with the one good team they would have between the retirement of Lombardi and the Dickey-Lofton era of the early 80s) should be higher than several of these. Dan Devine was a stubborn SOB and just kept sending John Brockington into a 5 man Redskins line set up to stop him.

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 10:59 AM

It's not stunning when you lose to a team you barely beat in Aug. when you are missing 9 starters after halftime. The Packers were a whipped beaten team coming into that game. They should have been prohibitive underdogs. They sucked - they barely beat bad Vikings and Bears teams at home down the stretch. When faced with a decent Jets team, they got it handed to them. They were a bad, bad football team. Anyone who thought they were close to Atlanta was fooling themselves. Still, it was a painful loss, and because it was the playoffs and the first home playoff
loss, i agree that it was a bitter loss - far worse than yesterday.
I don't know. Those Packers were 12-4 and had never lost at Lambeau in the postseason. You had a warm weather dome team playing there on the road in the cold that had a far worse record (9-6-1) and had lost three of their last four going in (though you're sure right that the Packers looked horrible against the Jets in their last game). I think they were at least a touchdown favorite in that game, plus you can't know going in who gets hurt during a game.

BallHawk
11-02-2009, 11:03 AM
4th and 26 in Philadelphia. That season, giving all that happened with Favre's dad and then the miracle in Arizona, felt like it was bound to be something special. And then you extend the game by allowing them 26 yards on 4th down. And then you get the ball in OT and Favre throws an INT that is just as bad, if not worse, than his INT in the NFCC game against the Giants.

That loss to the Eagles just killed me for weeks.

imscott72
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
The NFCC game in '07.

or 4th and 26

4th and 26 and the Super Bowl loss to Denver..

chain_gang
11-02-2009, 12:07 PM

Those two really took me some time to get over, especially the 49er loss. Mainly cause of the Jerry Rice fumble that wasn't called correctly on that last scoring drive!

Freak Out
11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
3. 4th and 26.

My thoughts as well.

gex
11-02-2009, 03:49 PM

Those 3 vs Dallas stick with me.
The SB loss was the worst.

MadScientist
11-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Somewhere in this list should be the Randy Moss mooning playoff game. Other than that, excellent list.

wist43
11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
3. 4th and 26.

#2 on ur list stands out...

Was at my brother-in-laws funeral - AND - my grandfather died that day. Not a good day.

bobblehead
11-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I think the one that stung me the worst was losing at home in lambeau for the first time ever in the playoffs (to the falcons).

The veil of invulnerability was lifted and it was a sad day.

I don't recall how favre played that game, good or bad, but it was irrelevant, I hated losing the "mystique".

the loss to the vikings after beating them twice in the regular season hurt a ton as well. If I recall Brett threw a pick in each redzone in that game and it was definately the game where I started feeling like I wanted him to retire because he just wasn't playing smart anymore. If only this seasons brett, he of 3 interceptions in 8 games, would have played for the packers.

Bossman641
11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
SB loss to Denver
2007 NFCCG
4th and 26
The playoff loss to SF after the Rice fumble non-call

Each of those games was 100x worse than this. I don't even know if this would crack my top 10.

woodbuck27
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
What Packer fans witnessed yesterday was just another good Ole Brett Favre ass whipin'. Any fan that thought he or she was smart booing Favre
( come on...any class Packer fan?)... deserved just what they got. A Packer fan of all people should know better than to instill such a positive on Favre and the opposing team by stupid booing and some of the other embarassing antics I saw.

The fan reaction didn't help the Packer team one little bit. The look on the Packer players as that game played out said it all. A through whiping. The Vikings have too many star caliber players and I'm beginning to think the Packers have too much Aaron Rodgers ego. As good as he is Aaron Rodgers is trying to get too much done. I'm sure he will adjust in his needed role as he matures.

Yesterday it was a clear case of Brett Favre schooling Aaron Rodgers. Again we saw results of sloppy OL play as well. Again we saw an inconsistent running game as I re-call it all. It was fun for me to see Ahman Green back in our colors.

I felt really sad for Ted Thompson. All alone up in the booth with that Haloween ghostly look. Someone's got to find him some friends. :D

For me these we're painful loss's:

1. The playoff loss to the 49ers. The Rice fumble... 'no fumble' and subsequent Steve Young march and the catch by? Who was that guy? Ohh T. O.

2. 4th and 26 ... the defense covering so very deep. A double up on a cover two.

3. The Super Bowl loss to the Broncos when it looked like we had two straight.

GrnBay007
11-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I felt really sad for Ted Thompson. All alone up in the booth with that Haloween ghostly look. Someone's got to find him some friends. :D

:lol:

woodbuck27
11-02-2009, 05:09 PM

:lol:

I mean ... really. It's too pathetic.

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Somewhere in this list should be the Randy Moss mooning playoff game. Other than that, excellent list.
That's the 2004 loss I mentioned before.

esoxx
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Not even close to toughest loss.

The Mother of all Losses was SB XXXII. The magnitude of the game, the chance to join the discussion of all time great teams with a win, 13 point favorites!

All just a fart in the wind.

It was a Coronation that never arrived. I remember showing up at the Super Bowl party at my buddies house, I got there just before kickoff and everyone was celebrating already like we had won. Not me, I was wary b/c football is a game that can change quickly. A tipped ball here, a bad call there and you're on the ropes.

That is a loss I will never be able to get out of my system. Especially given that it was since discovered that Denver circumvented the Salary Cap and in essence cheated.

Fuck the Broncos.
Lyin', cheatin', schemin', fuckwads.

I hate no team more.

MJZiggy
11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
In the days leading up to that SB, I saw it coming. The guys were talking like they'd already won. The expectations were so high and yet the Denver players just shut up and stayed focused. I thought we were fine with the NFCC until I saw Favre's face before the game.

CaliforniaCheez
11-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Deputy Nutz, Here is my most memorable top 10.

2. Loss to the Falcons at home in the Wildcard round of the Playoffs 2002
3. Playoff game with vikings 2005
4. Loss at Lambeau to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game
5. Loss to San Francisco in the Wildcard Round
6. Loss to the Cowboys in Dallas 1995 for the NFC Championship game
7. Loss to the Eagles in the Divisional round of the Playoff, 4-26
8. Loss to Dallas in Dallas 1994 Playoffs
9. 0-3 loss to the vikings after driving them all over the field Nov 14, 1971.
10. Loss to Dallas in Dallas in 1993 Playoffs

Any failure to beat the evil subhumanoid goatsucking uncivilized purple slime animals is especially embarrassing and hurtful.

MOBB DEEP
11-03-2009, 01:29 AM
All the pain runs together from 95 - 07

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 01:34 AM
This has to be the dumbest poll ever. Seriously, Ty means it.

Any packer fan. True packer fan could not even put this in the top 10 pantheon of bad losses.

There are the classics as mentioned. Then there are games like these. Ty arrived in Wisco in 72, moved from Texas and florida..so already a "fan" of the phins, oilers, and the bills, cause pops was from buffalo. Don't get him started on the great AFL Bills teams. Most of the 70s and 80s was filled with games like these.

Ty's mind is seared with fucking vike wideouts Ahmad Rashad and Sammy White snatching victory against our lame CBs and Chuck Forman carving us up.

Bad loss? Tell me it was worse than almost any of the second half losses in 78.

7-2 bitches! THE PACK IS BACK. Ty AND Wisco had our swagga back!

Lose to the Iggles 3-10 lose at home to the Boys 14-42, lose to the Broncos 3-16, TIE THE FUCKING VIKES AT HOME 10-10...GB in the lead 10-3 when Tark hits Rashad from 5 out in the 4th...Game tied and now TIED with the Pack for first, lose to the Bears 0-14, and end the regular season with a drubbing by the Rams 14-31.

8-7-1. FIRST PLACE BITCHES!!!!

Ah, but no playoffs. Did i forget to mention each of those teams were in the hunt. We lose every fucking tie breaker.

Did i mention we lost the first game with the Vikes. Yeah, sucked, 7-21. Fucking Rashad with 2 td catches. So we lost the head to head.

FIRST PLaCe Bitchees. :?

You want BAD LOSSES? Don't get Ty started on 3 consecutive years of 8-8 where there were a litany of bad losses, how about losing to the 5-11 Colts and Cards in 85.

A little bit of perspective from Ty to the Gang of Four..you that said this was the worst loss. Grow up and get a sack.

This loss ain't shit.

MichiganPackerFan
11-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Nutz, your 1-10 was just painful.

I took this one hard, but playoff losses hurt more, playoff losses at home hurt even more and a superbowl loss kills.

The 4-26 gave me one of my worst hangovers...

Smidgeon
11-03-2009, 02:35 PM
That is a loss I will never be able to get out of my system. Especially given that it was since discovered that Denver circumvented the Salary Cap and in essence cheated.

I'm uneducated on this. Please alleviate the burden of ignorance.

Pugger
11-03-2009, 03:14 PM
That Super Bowl loss still stings. I cannot watch 'lowlights' of that game. I get nauseous when I see that clip on the NFL Network with Elway pumping his fist and some guy on a voice over saying "this one's for John". The media that day were all giddy that Elway finally won and it took all my might to keep my brat down. :P

I attended that Falcon playoff game at Lambeau. If memory serves Farp had nobody to throw to. We had so many injuries that year half the roster was full of practice squad players. On top of that everything that could go wrong did. Horrid night. :(

The Shadow
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Not even close.
For me, it's always about the Bears, and almost any loss to them hurts far more - even virtually meaningless ones.

MJZiggy
11-03-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm pissed off about this one--not sad, not woeful or nauseated. There is no excuse for much of the crap that went on and I'm seriously thinking that they got themselves completely mental which is why it took 'til the second half for the team to even show up on the field. Favre had a good game, but these boneheads made him look like a genius. They did this to themselves and then the whole world sat back and said, "look what Brett did!" and that just burns my ass. But not as much as a boneheaded pick in 07. So as you can see, I'm doubly pissed at him at the moment.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm pissed off about this one--not sad, not woeful or nauseated. There is no excuse for much of the crap that went on and I'm seriously thinking that they got themselves completely mental which is why it took 'til the second half for the team to even show up on the field. Favre had a good game, but these boneheads made him look like a genius. They did this to themselves and then the whole world sat back and said, "look what Brett did!" and that just burns my ass. But not as much as a boneheaded pick in 07. So as you can see, I'm doubly pissed at him at the moment.

You are adorable when you are angry.

MJZiggy
11-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Beatrice was dead for most of that relationship. And she loved someone else even when she was alive.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Beatrice was dead for most of that relationship. And she loved someone else even when she was alive.

What is your point?

Should i call you Laura? Doubt you would get the reference.

MJZiggy
11-03-2009, 07:27 PM
The huge difference is that I'm not dead. Laura was dead before he even met her which should have been his first clue that the relationship was going nowhere.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 08:05 PM
The huge difference is that I'm not dead. Laura was dead before he even met her which should have been his first clue that the relationship was going nowhere.

Dead to me. All that flirting with Fritz. Ty hates Fritz and his grammer, spelln, and humer.

You have the story wrong. Dante met Beatrice at least once, usually said to be 9 years old, she 8.

He wrote that he met her once more, 9 years later, but that is often disputed as 9 plays into other themes (3x3x3..holy trinity, etc.)

The point was that she inspired his greatest works. And, he didn't see her, be it dead or alive. It is the channeling of emotion and the results which is our situation. I have several Big Chief Yellow Tablets of poems in your honor stashed under the bed. (yet, another literary clue....let's see how good you really are.)

Is this your coy way of letting ty know you aren't dead and that all it requires is me seeing you?

P.S. You inverted Laura into Dante's world. She is the beauty that inspired Plutarch. Ty is just another poet whose passion is ignited by a brief encounter with a women.

There once was a woman from DC
Whose posts to Tyrone were ectasy.
But a poster named Fritz
Stole her away with wits
For her a great loss, Fritz is chintzy

MJZiggy
11-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Considering my post of 8:44, I think I'm gonna have to let you have this one...

Badgerinmaine
11-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Not even close.
For me, it's always about the Bears, and almost any loss to them hurts far more - even virtually meaningless ones.
Remember the 61-7 beatdown the Bears gave Green Bay on Pearl Harbor Day in 1980, where the Bears made a point of running up the score (and severely pissing off Bart Starr in the process)? Good grief, Vince Evans threw three TD passes and no picks:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198012070chi.htm
Now THAT'S an ugly game.

Badgerinmaine
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Incidentally, a full 45% on the JSOnline site say Sunday's game is the most painful loss in Packers history. I think some of those folks have amnesia. :twisted:

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Considering my post of 8:44, I think I'm gonna have to let you have this one...

You are adorable when you let Ty have one.

Pugger
11-04-2009, 10:16 AM

You might be on to something here. I think in the first half the guys were trying to damn hard to make a play to avenge the first lost and played like shit. :?

Fritz
11-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Hell no.

Fourth and 26, and the Super Bowl against Denver.

Kiwon
11-06-2009, 07:22 AM
The 4th and 26 loss to the Eagles hurt the most because of all the excitement and momentum in the weeks leading up to the game. Missing on 4th and 1 was terrible as well.

The 2007 NFC Championship game stunk as well with Farve's final pass as a Packer being an INT.

The Super Bowl loss was bad but the defense had plenty of chances to stop Elway and TD and couldn't do it. The big boys up front were sucking wind at the end big time.

mraynrand
11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Not even close.
Remember the 61-7 beatdown the Bears gave Green Bay on Pearl Harbor Day in 1980, where the Bears made a point of running up the score (and severely pissing off Bart Starr in the process)? Good grief, Vince Evans threw three TD passes and no picks:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198012070chi.htm
Now THAT'S an ugly game.

I saw it. That was horrible. Even worse was the loss in Bart Starr's last game as coach as the Packers pathetic D couldn't stop a relatively anemic Bear's offense from driving down the field for a winning score to end the Packer's playoff chances in Ditka's second year as coach. Feast or famine that year with O and D, and the ending couldn't have sucked worse. A lot like '92.