PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers Appreciation

Chevelle2
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I just wanted to give a shout out to Aaron Rodgers. Certainly he has his flaws - holding onto the ball to long, misses open receivers sometimes, can improve as an onfield leader. But he has been classy throughout his entire time here, and has never complained about the oline, the playcalling, Favre etc.

In his press conference he took full responsibility for he bad offensive performance, saying a few times "It starts with me, and Im going to get better" :( It made me feel bad for him.

His 35 yard run, and 2nd TD to Havner on the pump fake were my favorite plays from last night.

So, here's to Aaron, and here's to us having 25 consecutive years of fantastic QB play!

elkopackfan
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I think it's great that A-Rodg has been putting up the big numbers, but what has it gotten him in the W column? How many times has he had the ball in his hands and has had the opportunity to march down the field and lead our team to victory these past two season? Several! How many has he actually won? One, and that was against Chicago this year when the corner fell down and left Jennings wide open. I never get the vibe that when we get the ball with the game on the line that he is going to win the game for us. We used to have a QB like that.

There was a radio station in Milwaukee that spent 30 minutes debating whether or not A-Rodg was HOF bound...are you kidding me??? I think us pack fans are giving him WAY too much credit and little to no blame. Truly great players never need their fans to constantly deflect blame for them. We are now 10-13 since he took the reigns.

I just don't see the fire and will to win from him, hopefully someday we will.

Cheesehead Craig
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I think it's great that A-Rodg has been putting up the big numbers, but what has it gotten him in the W column? How many times has he had the ball in his hands and has had the opportunity to march down the field and lead our team to victory these past two season? Several! How many has he actually won? One, and that was against Chicago this year when the corner fell down and left Jennings wide open. I never get the vibe that when we get the ball with the game on the line that he is going to win the game for us. We used to have a QB like that.

There was a radio station in Milwaukee that spent 30 minutes debating whether or not A-Rodg was HOF bound...are you kidding me??? I think us pack fans are giving him WAY too much credit and little to no blame. Truly great players never need their fans to constantly deflect blame for them. We are now 10-13 since he took the reigns.

Welcome aboard.

However, did you have to post this in the thread titled "Aaron Rodgers Appreciation"? Come on now.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Rodgers seems to be progressing pretty well. He needs to have more confidence in his offense and get the ball out earlier in games. Wish he would have thrown to Jennings on that 3rd and 8 (and Stubby should have let him carry the team on 4th and 8), but for a guy with a year and half under his belt he is improving and that's good considering where he is right now. Favre, with a comparable number of starts - mid 1993 - was in danger of being benched.

MOBB DEEP
11-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I just wanted to give a shout out to Aaron Rodgers. Certainly he has his flaws - holding onto the ball to long, misses open receivers sometimes, can improve as an onfield leader. But he has been classy throughout his entire time here, and has never complained about the oline, the playcalling, Favre etc.

In his press conference he took full responsibility for he bad offensive performance, saying a few times "It starts with me, and Im going to get better" :( It made me feel bad for him.

His 35 yard run, and 2nd TD to Havner on the pump fake were my favorite plays from last night.

So, here's to Aaron, and here's to us having 25 consecutive years of fantastic QB play!

QFT

Brandon494
11-02-2009, 02:41 PM

yea because Aaron Rodgers allowed the Vikings to score 38 points. Aaron Rodgers is not the problem, its the play calling.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 02:43 PM

yea because Aaron Rodgers allowed the Vikings to score 38 points. Aaron Rodgers is not the problem, its the play calling.

I would suggest you need to look at 3 first downs and 47 yards contributing to poor defensive field position in the first half. Some of that is on Rodgers. There were open receivers on several Rodgers miscues.

Brandon494
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM

I would suggest you need to look at 3 first downs and 47 yards contributing to poor defensive field position in the first half. Some of that is on Rodgers. There were open receivers on several Rodgers miscues.

Its kinda hard to find those open recievers when your running for your life. MM play calling with horrible. We all know Aaron Rodger had a bad first half, well how about try running the ball instead? We are so predictable on offense it makes me sick.

Chevelle2
11-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Its kinda hard to find those open recievers when your running for your life. MM play calling with horrible. We all know Aaron Rodger had a bad first half, well how about try running the ball instead? We are so predictable on offense it makes me sick.

me and my friend actually bet on what play is going to be called. Usually we are right.

1st down - run
2nd down - holding or sack (yes, thats a play)
3rd down - Deep throw or check down to Lee

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 03:51 PM

At least on two occasions, Rodgers was running for his life because he didn't get the ball out when he should have - both were cases where Jones was clearly open. Those were on Rodgers. There may be more. I don't know because I don't have the coaches tape of the secondary. But I'll look with what I have.

But with all playcalling, I challenge you to prove it was horrible, other than the result. Was the proper play called for down and distance, for defensive alignment and for offensive and defensive substitution? Did the players properly execute the play (for at least two plays I know Rodgers screwed up). What do you know for sure? Let me know what your analysis shows. I'll be very interested.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
1st down - run

Do you flip a coin? Run or pass, I bet you're right 50% of the time at least. If you have any more insight into McCarthy's playcalling, I'd love to see it.

bobblehead
11-02-2009, 04:49 PM

I would like you to google brett favre and look at his first two seasons as a starter. Not even close to ARod, but he did have a top notch defense at the time.

And for the record, ARod has given this team many chances to win in the 4th quarter. Even yesterday he got us to a close 2nd and 2 while down by 5 before we completely didn't block 2 guys on the next 2 downs.

Arod isn't HOF bound yet by any means, but we have an NFL QB without a doubt.

bobblehead
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
1st down - run

Do you flip a coin? Run or pass, I bet you're right 50% of the time at least. If you have any more insight into McCarthy's playcalling, I'd love to see it.

I've hammered MM's playcalling in other games, but it was fine in this game. (same as the officiating).

We ran the ball about the right amount until we were down 24-3 at which point we did HAVE to get lopsided and start throwing it most of the time. Early in this game we weren't successful at moving the ball, and that has to fall on the players at some point.

woodbuck27
11-02-2009, 05:14 PM

Welcome aboard.

However, did you have to post this in the thread titled "Aaron Rodgers Appreciation"? Come on now.

The new poster ( elkopackfan ... WELCOME Packer fan ) appreciates that Aaron Rodgers needs time to mature.

GO Aaron Rodgers!

Brandon494
11-02-2009, 08:12 PM

At least on two occasions, Rodgers was running for his life because he didn't get the ball out when he should have - both were cases where Jones was clearly open. Those were on Rodgers. There may be more. I don't know because I don't have the coaches tape of the secondary. But I'll look with what I have.

But with all playcalling, I challenge you to prove it was horrible, other than the result. Was the proper play called for down and distance, for defensive alignment and for offensive and defensive substitution? Did the players properly execute the play (for at least two plays I know Rodgers screwed up). What do you know for sure? Let me know what your analysis shows. I'll be very interested.

I'm tired of seeing shotgun formations when its 3rd and 1.

A very big play in the game when its 2nd and 2 down by 5 inside the 30. Instead of switching it up and running the ball we decide to pass it once again and what happens? Allen goes up blocked and sacks AR to make it 3rd and 8. We don't pick up the first down next play and fail to hit a 51 yard FG after that.

We run the ball on 2nd and 2 there and most likely we pick up the first or its like 3rd and 1. Even if we don't make it on 3rd down atleast you have another chance at making it on 4th and short, but we never got that chance because MM always gets away from the running game and we always have to work with 3rd and long plays.

Yes AR does hold onto the ball alittle long but its MM job to run the damn ball and take some pressure off the guy. I can see us not running the ball when we are down by 21 but when its a one score game and we have plenty of time. We drafted Quinn Jonhnson for a reason, get his that big mofo back there to block for Ryan Grant a couple times. Instead MM has him out there on passing plays out of the backfield. :roll:

Badgerinmaine
11-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm delighted with his play, and would gladly take a few extra sacks over a few extra picks.

MichiganPackerFan
11-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I've been pretty pleased with his play so far. Could get rid of the ball faster some times. He's made the comebacks, only to have the defense give it right back. A bit better play from the O-Line and improved defense will win some games. Shouldn't be expected to put up 30+ per game in order to win...

g4orce
11-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I've been pleased with most of his play, but at what point is he held somewhat responsible for missed opportunities (taking sacks, not audibling to the right plays, missing open WR's and throwing deep, ect...) I mean, I know we should've expected a drop in our offense when Favre left, but we really can and should be even better than what we are.

mraynrand
11-03-2009, 01:05 PM

I'm tired of seeing shotgun formations when its 3rd and 1.

A very big play in the game when its 2nd and 2 down by 5 inside the 30. Instead of switching it up and running the ball we decide to pass it once again and what happens? Allen goes up blocked and sacks AR to make it 3rd and 8. We don't pick up the first down next play and fail to hit a 51 yard FG after that.

We run the ball on 2nd and 2 there and most likely we pick up the first or its like 3rd and 1. Even if we don't make it on 3rd down atleast you have another chance at making it on 4th and short, but we never got that chance because MM always gets away from the running game and we always have to work with 3rd and long plays.

Yes AR does hold onto the ball alittle long but its MM job to run the damn ball and take some pressure off the guy. I can see us not running the ball when we are down by 21 but when its a one score game and we have plenty of time. We drafted Quinn Jonhnson for a reason, get his that big mofo back there to block for Ryan Grant a couple times. Instead MM has him out there on passing plays out of the backfield. :roll:

This seems like a pretty fair critique to me. Good observation on the 2nd and 2. On some of those 3rd and ones, Stubby goes for the (wait for it) FULLBACK DIVE!

It's weird how Stubby can get on a kick and run an entire series (at Cleveland) with the exception of one pass, and then turn around and have drives with all passes (like the drive down 31-26 v. Minnesota). I don't know what the reason is, but it seems like he completely forgets about balance. Holmgren was really good a going agaist tendancy - run on passing downs and the reverse. It seems like Stubby hardly does that at all. There's something bizarrely wrong there, but I can't put my finger on it. He seems like a clever competent coach, able to run all sorts of different plays out of similar formations, and it often works to confuse defenses. But it seems like he gets all stubborn and at times BY GOD he's going to RUN THE BALL, and then later forgets about it completely. I don't get it.

th87
11-04-2009, 01:43 AM
I have a bit of a worry:

Will all these hits he's taken negatively affect his confidence? If he keeps getting beaten up, will it rattle him to the point that his pocket presence suffers?

We need desperately for his pocket sense to improve for him to reach elite level status. If he's constantly checking to see whether the o-line is doing its job, I'm afraid that it could take away from his development as a QB.

I think some of that happened in the first half of the game. With him constantly looking to see whether he was in trouble, he kept getting thrown off of his rhythm, and had to look to throw out of sync. And since he's careful, he doesn't want to take needless risks, and so he'd decided not to throw out of sync.

In the second half, he stopped worrying as much, and went off of instinct. It worked well until the last drive, when we saw that lack of trust in the o-line and his instincts again.

I think if the o-line gets better, Rodgers can stick to his careful approach, and we'll be just fine. But if they don't, Rodgers will need to let loose and trust his instincts some more.

It's kind of like when Obi Wan was teaching Luke about trusting the Force. I think in time Rodgers will attain a better grasp of the game, and will rise to elite status. Right now, he can't be afraid to "experiment" with that a little.

bobblehead
11-04-2009, 03:47 AM
I have a bit of a worry:

Will all these hits he's taken negatively affect his confidence? If he keeps getting beaten up, will it rattle him to the point that his pocket presence suffers?

We need desperately for his pocket sense to improve for him to reach elite level status. If he's constantly checking to see whether the o-line is doing its job, I'm afraid that it could take away from his development as a QB.

I think some of that happened in the first half of the game. With him constantly looking to see whether he was in trouble, he kept getting thrown off of his rhythm, and had to look to throw out of sync. And since he's careful, he doesn't want to take needless risks, and so he'd decided not to throw out of sync.

In the second half, he stopped worrying as much, and went off of instinct. It worked well until the last drive, when we saw that lack of trust in the o-line and his instincts again.

I think if the o-line gets better, Rodgers can stick to his careful approach, and we'll be just fine. But if they don't, Rodgers will need to let loose and trust his instincts some more.

It's kind of like when Obi Wan was teaching Luke about trusting the Force. I think in time Rodgers will attain a better grasp of the game, and will rise to elite status. Right now, he can't be afraid to "experiment" with that a little.

I think everything you mention will play a partial role in him improving, not one of these things is an instant fix.

The point about his confidence getting rattled....he's more likely to become addicted to vicodin like another young QB who's line wasn't great, and his inexperience made him hold the ball too long at times. That guy came around pretty well in time, and hopefully this guy will too.

Fritz
11-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Brandon, here's what you wrote a few posts ago:

"I'm tired of seeing shotgun formations when its 3rd and 1.

Yes AR does hold onto the ball alittle long but its MM job to run the damn ball and take some pressure off the guy. I can see us not running the ball when we are down by 21 but when its a one score game and we have plenty of time. We drafted Quinn Jonhnson for a reason, get his that big mofo back there to block for Ryan Grant a couple times. Instead MM has him out there on passing plays out of the backfield."

I don't often agree with you, but I do in this case. I'm so tired of MM not even having a running back in the backfield on short down and distance situations. I've also been giving that same example - 2nd and 3, end of game, need a t.d. to go ahead. Run the ball! Cripes, if you gain a yard on it, you end up with 3rd and 2. Then you have options and the defense is guessing.

I don't think MM's playcalling has put this team in a position to be successful very much this year.