PDA

View Full Version : views from the game...

ND72
11-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Just decided I wanted to voice a few things I saw/thought while at game.

#1 - Offensive play calls in the first half. We can bitch and moan about Rodgers holding on to the ball, or the OL not blocking. But many of us in the stands were commenting that some of their offensive sets and plays were not "usual" to us. Like we were trying to "trick" the Vikings or something.

#2 - I love all of my "friends" who like to tell me how great Brett Favre is. I have never said Favre is worthless, but he was not a difference maker in yesterday's game. Percy Harvin was a difference maker. If we returned Kickoffs to the 10 twice in a game, or started our field position at the 45, I think Rodgers would be even more deadly. Favre made completetions to wide open people....Daute Culpepper could do that.

#3 - Running Game? Running Game? Come on, Running Game? Not even an effort. My buddy and I talked a lot about our running game. Against good teams, we're so inconsistant it's a joke. and we do things that don't make much sense, especially against the Minnesota type teams. First we try to run up the middle, which is not smart. Then, we try to run outside, but generally don't have lead blocks, we run outside zones, so that doesn't work well either.

#4 - Percy Harvin...yeah, kid is good.

#5 - Adrian Peterson....can't lie, kid is fun to watch. BUT, Minny needs to take advantage now, cause he won't have a long career.

#6 - Minnesota gets away with a TON of B.S. I'm not real sure what was seen on TV, but wow. When Jolly headbutted Peterson, Herrera speared Jolly...why wasn't that called? Later in the game, Barbre got laid out WAY after the play....not a single flag or discussion about it. HOLDING...holy crap does Minnesota hold A LOT. And it's beyond obvious...but no calls for it. Mckinnie is the worst of all. And on both long Kick Returns, major holds happened with no flags. Again, most people in our section called it the BFL...Brett Favre League...can't do anything against them cause they have Brett Favre.

#7 - Dom Capers....what's up? Pressure/blitz's came at weird times. 3rd and 17, and we rush 3??? Why wouldn't you force a quick throw for like a 10 yard gain, rather than letting him sit and look for a gain of 20? Did anyone else notice our OLB, play MLB and rush straight up the middle, and our MLB become OLB, and drop in the flats? What the hell is the point of that?

#8 - I would say Grant was on the field 33%, Green 33%, and Jackson 33%....that doesnt' say good things for us.

#9 - I'm not in panic mode. Minnesota is a better team, I thought that before Favre signed there. They do little things very well, and our little things we do poorly become big things. I still think we will hit a peak towards end of year, which could be awesome!

#10 - I'm starting to think McCarthy needs to be on the hot seat. Just watching some of the stuff yesterday makes me question a lot of his decisions. 4th and 7, down 5, 6:00 left in the game, 51 yard field goal accomplishes little. You have to go for that then and there, tell your team you are in it to win it.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
I disagree with your view on Favre. He didn't make competions to wide open receivers, I would kind of dare you to go back and watch that game. His accuracy on his competed passes were special. Look at his last touchdown to Berian, there wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room on that throw. Favre still hits the slant with defenders less than a step behind the receiver, and it was funny as hell but when Harvin catches a ball between three Packers you can't claim that Favre was throwing to open receivers, not a smart throw, but a great catch made it a great throw.

News flash, Favre uses the middle of the field, something Rodger has not yet used because he has no confidence in his accuracy, or the coaches of no confidence in using the middle of the field.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 02:18 PM
#6- it really goes both ways. There was no fumble called on the Packers first series, when it was an obvious fumble, I don't care if the ref uses the lack of foward progress, if that is the case then Peterson's fumble a month ago that got returned for a TD by Mathews was a complete BS call.

Woodson had a no call on a obvious hold call in the endzone on Berrian.

There is always holding calls on both sides so I won't even get into that.

Herra retaliated on Jolly who did head but Taylor first. It all depend on when the penalty was thrown. I thought regardless it should have been a double.

Refs will be refs and there are going to be mistakes, so pointing the finger at them can be considered sour grapes

ND72
11-02-2009, 02:19 PM
I disagree with your view on Favre. He didn't make competions to wide open receivers, I would kind of dare you to go back and watch that game. His accuracy on his competed passes were special. Look at his last touchdown to Berian, there wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room on that throw. Favre still hits the slant with defenders less than a step behind the receiver, and it was funny as hell but when Harvin catches a ball between three Packers you can't claim that Favre was throwing to open receivers, not a smart throw, but a great catch made it a great throw.

News flash, Favre uses the middle of the field, something Rodger has not yet used because he has no confidence in his accuracy, or the coaches of no confidence in using the middle of the field.

Disagree with you on Favre. His Throw to Berrian...NFL Easy. Berrian ran a 7 yard stop. Favre threw the ball before Berrian even stopped his route, all 3 defenders were out of position. If they were in man, then one of the defenders didnt' guard him...if it was zone, someone didnt' cover their zone. I actually DVR'd the game, and watched the 4th quarter this morning, Collins was not as close to that ball as you think.

The throw to Harvin was not a great throw, and a great catch does not make it a great throw. Eli Mannings throw to Tyree is not regarded as a great throw, the escape he made to make the throw, and the catch are considered great, but many still say the throw was risky, as was Favre's. If it's picked off, or knocked down, everyone would say how stupid it was.

ND72
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
#6- it really goes both ways. There was no fumble called on the Packers first series, when it was an obvious fumble, I don't care if the ref uses the lack of foward progress, if that is the case then Peterson's fumble a month ago that got returned for a TD by Mathews was a complete BS call.

Herra retaliated on Jolly who did head but Taylor first. It all depend on when the penalty was thrown. I thought regardless it should have been a double.

Refs will be refs and there are going to be mistakes, so pointing the finger at them can be considered sour grapes

Even that is wrong...Had a Minnesota fan sitting next to us who even mentioned how often they get away with offensive holding. Peterson's 2 long runs, obvious holding penalties should have been called, and it was the Minnesota fan that pointed it out to me. Yesterday, ZERO offensive holding calls on Minnesota, 4 Holding calls on Green Bay.

And there is a huge difference between High School holding, and NFL holding...these were NFL holds.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Even that is wrong...Had a Minnesota fan sitting next to us who even mentioned how often they get away with offensive holding. Peterson's 2 long runs, obvious holding penalties should have been called, and it was the Minnesota fan that pointed it out to me. Yesterday, ZERO offensive holding calls on Minnesota, 4 Holding calls on Green Bay.

And there is a huge difference between High School holding, and NFL holding...these were NFL holds.

Really????? A Vikings fan told you so you quote it as truth? Barbre had a couple of nice drag downs of Edwards, and Wells was a bit grabby. But call it the way you want, the fact is the Packers lost and if you want to blame it on the refs go a head.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Disagree with you on Favre. His Throw to Berrian...NFL Easy. Berrian ran a 7 yard stop. Favre threw the ball before Berrian even stopped his route, all 3 defenders were out of position. If they were in man, then one of the defenders didnt' guard him...if it was zone, someone didnt' cover their zone. I actually DVR'd the game, and watched the 4th quarter this morning, Collins was not as close to that ball as you think.

The throw to Harvin was not a great throw, and a great catch does not make it a great throw. Eli Mannings throw to Tyree is not regarded as a great throw, the escape he made to make the throw, and the catch are considered great, but many still say the throw was risky, as was Favre's. If it's picked off, or knocked down, everyone would say how stupid it was.

I did say it wasn't a smart throw. It had to be thrown exactly where it was caught because it was right over the outstretched hands of Woodson and in between the two safeties who were late getting there.

You want to argue fine go ahead, but Favre carved the Packers up regardless if you want to believe receivers were open or not, even more pathetic if your views are correct.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 02:30 PM

That's all an issue of when the whistle is blown. Perhaps the officials wait longer for Peterson because they know he can break tackles better than a JAG like Grant!

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
It shouldn't be a judgement call, when forward momentum is stopped, then there can't be a fumble because the play should be blown dead especially when the running back is swarmed and being pushed back.

I wasn't sure that Grant's forward momentum was stopped.

ND72
11-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Really????? A Vikings fan told you so you quote it as truth? Barbre had a couple of nice drag downs of Edwards, and Wells was a bit grabby. But call it the way you want, the fact is the Packers lost and if you want to blame it on the refs go a head.

And Barbre was called for 2 holding calls yesterday....Thank you for holding up my point!

ND72
11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
It shouldn't be a judgement call, when forward momentum is stopped, then there can't be a fumble because the play should be blown dead especially when the running back is swarmed and being pushed back.

Peterson's fumble in Minnesota wasn't not a stoppage of momentum, he was still moving forward when it happened.

Bossman641
11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Where the hell were the screens yesterday?

I can remember one that went for negative yards. The team had some luck with them in the first meeting, should have done it again this time around. You can't allow pass rushers, especially one of JA's caliber to pin his ears back and only think about rushing the QB.

Freak Out
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Sour grapes.

sharpe1027
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM

I agree with most of this. Favre threaded the needle several times. Damn old fart needs to start his late-season slump pretty soon.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM

The refs were. And looking at Peterson in MN, he was still moving laterally at least. And to be fair, in both cases, the difference could just be a fraction of a second in when the officials blow the whistle. That's football.

sharpe1027
11-02-2009, 03:47 PM

The refs were. And looking at Peterson in MN, he was still moving laterally at least. And to be fair, in both cases, the difference could just be a fraction of a second in when the officials blow the whistle. That's football.

It is a judgment call. IMO, Grant's momentum was stopped "longer" than Petersons, draw the line where you want. Could have gone either way.

Given that at least one of the holding calls on the Packer's was a complete phantom (Lang), there were plenty of calls that should have been made against the queens. Reputations are a bitch, just ask Al Harris about illegal contact calls.

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
dp

mraynrand
11-02-2009, 04:00 PM

It is a judgment call. IMO, Grant's momentum was stopped "longer" than Petersons, draw the line where you want. Could have gone either way.

Given that at least one of the holding calls on the Packer's was a complete phantom (Lang), there were plenty of calls that should have been made against the queens. Reputations are a bitch, just ask Al Harris about illegal contact calls.

Lang also held a couple of other times that I saw that wasn't called. I don't think the officials had any affect whatsoever on the outcome of either game.

sharpe1027
11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Lang also held a couple of other times that I saw that wasn't called. I don't think the officials had any affect whatsoever on the outcome of either game.

Neither do I. I just don't understand not making holding calls most of the game, then when you do it is flat wrong. At least save your ammo for obvious calls.

packrulz
11-02-2009, 04:25 PM
The running game is a joke, we got 3 fullbacks and can't run the ball. What happened to Quinn "the Hammer" Johnson? Grant can't catch, BJack is hurt all the time, and Ahman is old. I don't blame it all on the offensive line either.

bobblehead
11-02-2009, 04:45 PM
the first game officiating hurt us bad...it was very lopsided. this game was called somewhat even. It certainly wasn't why we lost.

BF can still play when he is motivated, no doubt. If TJ were the QB we probably beat them at least one of the games. No way they would be 7-1.

My only gripe with the officiating was on our one decent kick return the flag came out WAY late. Same as the PI call on woodson in the first game. Official is standing right on top of the play, but the flag come from the other side about 3 seconds AFTER woodson has the ball.

The officials didn't make us decide not to block allen on 2nd and 2, they didn't make Babre whiff on the following 3rd and 8, and they didn't make Crosby miss the FG. That drive cost us a legit shot at winning. If we get a TD and the lead its a HUGE momentum swing, but if we even make the FG it puts a lot more pressure on the offense and we might have actually kicked off and not let them return it to midfield.

I still believe this team could peak. I don't think we have the talent that Minnesota does, but we have a enough to make a run at it if we get into the playoffs and Tauscher takes back his job. Lang seems serviceable, but not a long term answer at LT, guard or RT probably, but he just isn't physically an LT. College can start his late season turn around any game now too.