PDA

View Full Version : Chargers cut Chris Chambers

pack4to84
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/02/norv-turner-addresses-decision-to-cut-chris-chambers/

Wow did see this coming. Wounder is TT would be interested in him.

Smidgeon
11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, he was only marginally better than Robert Ferguson who was taken before him, Miami was happy to get rid of him for Ted Ginn, and I'd take Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, and even Terrance Murphy before him. Yeah, I know Terrance Murphy can't play football anymore, but I liked him.

Deputy Nutz
11-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think Ferguson's best season even compares to Chambers worst season while the two were in the league together. Chambers was the far better receiver and football player.

Smidgeon
11-02-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't think Ferguson's best season even compares to Chambers worst season while the two were in the league together. Chambers was the far better receiver and football player.

Are we counting Chambers' current season?

Smidgeon
11-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Also, I meant "marginally" in terms of the same tier of receivers. Yeah, Chambers was clearly better, but he wasn't anywhere near the top of the league. Ferguson wasn't dregs either. He just was a walking injury.

pbmax
11-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Chambers had about the worst hands of any starter in the league. There was a big gulf between his production and his hype. That was one of the reasons the Dolphins traded him.

Smidgeon
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM

I think what I was trying to say was that if GB had selected Chambers over Ferguson in the draft that year, just like Ferguson, Chambers probably wouldn't still be with the team. So it's a wash in my opinion.

packerbacker1234
11-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Chambers had about the worst hands of any starter in the league. There was a big gulf between his production and his hype. That was one of the reasons the Dolphins traded him.

For a second I thought you were talking about Braylon Edwards.

Chambers has always been a solid WR. Nothing spectacular, but pretty good. No reason for us to go after him. He'll want to me at least #3 on someones roster and were offering 4 at Best.

retailguy
11-02-2009, 07:30 PM
It's sad to watch a players career end. Chambers can't do it anymore... It is over.

Smidgeon
11-02-2009, 08:13 PM

Or Tedd Ginn?

Brando19
11-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Or Tedd Ginn?

Or Brandon Marshall. led the league in drops for a long while.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, he was only marginally better than Robert Ferguson who was taken before him, Miami was happy to get rid of him for Ted Ginn, and I'd take Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, and even Terrance Murphy before him. Yeah, I know Terrance Murphy can't play football anymore, but I liked him.

Dude, you are so out to lunch on this call, that i'm seriously reevaluating the rest of your sane posts.

Chambers worst season was a fergie big year. what he is now is what he is now. But, to say a former pro bowl player and a guy who was routinely averaging 60 catches for 7 straight years is only marginally better than fergie is straight out FICTION.

Brando19
11-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Dude, you are so out to lunch on this call, that i'm seriously reevaluating the rest of your sane posts.

Chambers worst season was a fergie big year. what he is now is what he is now. But, to say a former pro bowl player and a guy who was routinely averaging 60 catches for 7 straight years is only marginally better than fergie is straight out FICTION.

Agreed...comparing Chambers to Ferguson is like comparing Jessica Simpson to Rosie O'Donnell. You just can't do it. Back in the day (and now) Chambers with the swine flu could outplay Fergie.

rbaloha1
11-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Worth a tryout. The Packers resigned Green -- why not CC?

Brandon494
11-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Finley and Nelson will be back in a week, don't see it happening.

KYPack
11-03-2009, 08:50 AM
It's sad to watch a players career end. Chambers can't do it anymore... It is over.

Saw him a couple weeks ago. I was amazed to see how much speed he has lost over the last couple seasons. He would drop a few, but he could make some great catches in his younger years. I agree w/ RG, he's all played out now.

Smidgeon
11-03-2009, 09:58 AM

Agreed...comparing Chambers to Ferguson is like comparing Jessica Simpson to Rosie O'Donnell. You just can't do it. Back in the day (and now) Chambers with the swine flu could outplay Fergie.

Did you read the post where I defined what I meant by "marginally"? I'm not comparing the two in terms of performance. I'm comparing the two in terms of "all things being equal" (i.e. injuries) and skill level. And even with those, never have I said that Ferguson was the same. I think they were in the same tier. I think Chambers was in the top edge of that tier, but never elite, and I think Ferguson was on the bottom edge of that tier, but never the dregs.

The way I see skill positions is that you have the elite--those who every team covets, the middling tier--those who are serviceable and productive but won't hold their positions on the team for long for one reason or another (i.e. injuries, hands, attitude), and the dregs--those who don't see the field unless injuries strikes those above them.

I simply chose Ferguson to identify where Chambers was at because they were linked during the draft with Chambers taken after Ferguson. Chambers is/was better, but I'd take all of our top four receivers over him. If GB had taken him, I don't think he'd be on the team anymore either.

That's all I was saying.

Smidgeon
11-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I'll admit "marginally" was probably a poor choice of word due to the connotation. That much I'll concede debatelessly.

g4orce
11-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Well since TT already got rid of our one sure backup (Ruvell), I think with the injury to Swain and not knowing how Jordy will come back from his injury, we should think about giving Chambers a look, just to see if he could fit in as a possession WR in the west coast offense that we run.

MichiganPackerFan
11-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I'll admit "marginally" was probably a poor choice of word due to the connotation. That much I'll concede debatelessly.

It's perfectly acceptable on this board to simply respond "fuck you, ty" :D

Ty understands.

Smidgeon
11-03-2009, 02:39 PM
It's perfectly acceptable on this board to simply respond "fuck you, ty" :D

Ty understands.

Be that as it may. I'll withhold that sentiment until it's deserved. He called out a poor choice of words and a disagreement in statement of my point. The first I concede, the second I don't (yet).

KYPack
11-03-2009, 02:43 PM
The other deal with chambers is what finally retired Jerry Rice. rice was probably a decent 4 or 5WR at the end, but he couldn't play ST anymore. I don't think Chambers can do that at this stage of his career, either. and we would need someone who could gun or preferably, return in that spot.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Did you read the post where I defined what I meant by "marginally"? I'm not comparing the two in terms of performance. I'm comparing the two in terms of "all things being equal" (i.e. injuries) and skill level. And even with those, never have I said that Ferguson was the same. I think they were in the same tier. I think Chambers was in the top edge of that tier, but never elite, and I think Ferguson was on the bottom edge of that tier, but never the dregs.

The way I see skill positions is that you have the elite--those who every team covets, the middling tier--those who are serviceable and productive but won't hold their positions on the team for long for one reason or another (i.e. injuries, hands, attitude), and the dregs--those who don't see the field unless injuries strikes those above them.

I simply chose Ferguson to identify where Chambers was at because they were linked during the draft with Chambers taken after Ferguson. Chambers is/was better, but I'd take all of our top four receivers over him. If GB had taken him, I don't think he'd be on the team anymore either.

That's all I was saying.

Chambers was a #1 receiver on the phins or #2. Fergie SUCKED and never was a #1.Fergie wasn't even an average #2. He SUCKED. At best he was a mediocre #3.

There isn't any way to put them in the same tier.

I see your tiers, and Chambers doesn't fit your middle tier. A starter for 7 years averaging 60 catches a year is not a guy who didn't "hold his position for long."

Your tier system is so wide in the middle it houses almost EVERYBODY. Might be time to change that.

Let me put it to you this way. EVERY TEAM in the league covets a guys like Chambers in his prime. Now, they may not like his salary, length of contract. But, every team wants a guy that is going to catch 60 balls a year, get you 7tds, and be mentioned as pro bowl candidate.

Every team covets versatile backup lineman with good contract numbers. Does that make them elite?

Coveting is a pretty poor criteria for determining elite.

All things being equal: One guy was productive, one guy wasn't. Trying to pretend they were at the same skill level, when Fergie didn't display ANY skill level is a joke.

Dude, your posts have been solid. This post is ridiculous. Sorry.

P.S. YOu can say fuck you if it makes you feel better. :wink:

Smidgeon
11-03-2009, 04:44 PM

That's all I was saying.

Chambers was a #1 receiver on the phins or #2. Fergie SUCKED and never was a #1.Fergie wasn't even an average #2. He SUCKED. At best he was a mediocre #3.

I see your tiers, and Chambers doesn't fit your middle tier. A starter for 7 years averaging 60 catches a year is not a guy who didn't "hold his position for long."

Your tier system is so wide in the middle it houses almost EVERYBODY. Might be time to change that.

Let me put it to you this way. EVERY TEAM in the league covets a guys like Chambers in his prime. Now, they may not like his salary, length of contract. But, every team wants a guy that is going to catch 60 balls a year, get you 7tds, and be mentioned as pro bowl candidate.

Every team covets versatile backup lineman with good contract numbers. Does that make them elite?

All things being equal: One guy was productive, one guy wasn't. Trying to pretend they were at the same skill level, when Fergie didn't display ANY skill level is a joke.

Nah. I'm willing to concede when I made a hyperbolic statement that didn't hold water. You win.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 04:53 PM

That's all I was saying.

Nah. I'm willing to concede when I made a hyperbolic statement that didn't hold water. You win.

the goal wasn't to win. your contributions have been solid.

P.S. You gotta be strong if you are going to diss a badger! Though, Ty will willingly concede that Chambers did drop some balls he shouldn't...kinda like DD. But, then again, we all knew that coming college...Chris, how could you drop that ball in the UM game. :x

Smidgeon
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Though, Ty will willingly concede that Chambers did drop some balls he shouldn't...kinda like DD. But, then again, we all knew that coming college...Chris, how could you drop that ball in the UM game. :x

I just have never been a fan of Chambers. For whatever reason. That probably contributed to my marginalization of his abilities and stats. (Get it? I poked fun at myself by using the same root word that I did in my first message, although in a different context. I kill me sometimes. :D )

Tyrone Bigguns
11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Though, Ty will willingly concede that Chambers did drop some balls he shouldn't...kinda like DD. But, then again, we all knew that coming college...Chris, how could you drop that ball in the UM game. :x

I just have never been a fan of Chambers. For whatever reason. That probably contributed to my marginalization of his abilities and stats. (Get it? I poked fun at myself by using the same root word that I did in my first message, although in a different context. I kill me sometimes. :D )

Look at who was tossing passes to Chambers. Put Chambers with Favre or Arod, we are talking DD like #s.

Smidgeon
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM

Look at who was tossing passes to Chambers. Put Chambers with Favre or Arod, we are talking DD like #s.

He had Philip Rivers throwing him the ball for three years. That's gotta count for something.

Charles Woodson
11-03-2009, 09:19 PM
The chiefs signed him

Zool
11-04-2009, 12:06 AM

I'm not sure about that. He drops a lot of easy balls. He's no Ted Ginn but i'm just sayin.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-04-2009, 01:29 AM

He had Philip Rivers throwing him the ball for three years. That's gotta count for something.

I was strictly talking about his #s at Miami.

Not really. He was traded and played 10 his first season with Rivers. Put up 35 catches.

Next year he was hurt. Started 9 games. 33 catches.

This year 5 games.

At best you could say he played 2 seasons.

Chambers may have indeed lost his wheels. But, there are also some personal issues that played into the Chargers decision to cut him. Do a quick google on him and Stacey Saunders.

bobblehead
11-04-2009, 04:00 AM

I was with you every step of the thread, but DD still has his speed, agility and ability at this stage of his career. The toll of time is showing DD to be the far superior NFL talent.

DD is 34 and likely on his way to another 1k season, chambers is 31 and on his way out. At his best he may have equaled DD's numbers with a good QB, but again, the weight of time is bearing out DD as the far superior NFL player.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-04-2009, 04:40 AM

I was with you every step of the thread, but DD still has his speed, agility and ability at this stage of his career. The toll of time is showing DD to be the far superior NFL talent.

DD is 34 and likely on his way to another 1k season, chambers is 31 and on his way out. At his best he may have equaled DD's numbers with a good QB, but again, the weight of time is bearing out DD as the far superior NFL player.

Again, I was STRICTLY talking about Miami years.

But, let's wait and see. Chambers had some off the field issues. You never know if he can come back and get healthy.