PDA

View Full Version : OPENING DRIVES

Bretsky
11-04-2009, 08:06 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/69055962.html

Noodle
11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
The failure of second-half opening drives is especially glaring.

It was interesting looking at comments to the article regarding the various reasons for the Pack's failure. Bad OL, bad RB, bad coach, inexperienced QB.

I really don't know, but I'd add penalties. It'd be curious to see how often our opening drives get killed, or mortally wounded, by a stupid-ass motion or holding penalty.

KYPack
11-04-2009, 09:23 AM
0 - 23 in drives to start the second half? Man, that's some sobering stuff. One of the things that I've been trying to figure out is why ARod's statistical success isn't yielding more wins. This well could be part of the answer.

pbmax
11-04-2009, 09:43 AM
0 - 23 in drives to start the second half? Man, that's some sobering stuff. One of the things that I've been trying to figure out is why ARod's statistical success isn't yielding more wins. This well could be part of the answer.
I think its more granular. We don't score as many points as you would think given our yardage at almost any point in the game. I think the penalties, sacks and bad special teams make the field much longer for us than for the opponent.

Noodle
11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
PB, that makes a lot of sense. We rarely get a bang-o return, and if we do, you know it's coming back for a block in the back.

Then, if they do manage to get a first down or two, you can almost bet on some stupid penalty or a sack to screw the whole deal.

The offense ranks 2nd in the league, trailing only Buffalo, for most offensive penalties (57 pens for 474 backward yards). Disgusting.

(Interestingly, the D is doing a much better job on pens, ranking 26th with 38.)

What the hell is going on here?

Packgator
11-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I think the penalties, sacks and bad special teams make the field much longer for us than for the opponent.

Yep! And it all adds up over the course of an entire game (and season).

rbaloha1
11-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Recall Holgrem teams started fast. Tried to get #4 in rhythm early.

For some reason MM teams stumble out of the gate. Penalties, dropped passes and sacks -- why? MM must find a solution for starting the offense more efficiently.

mraynrand
11-04-2009, 10:41 AM

For some reason MM teams stumble out of the gate. Penalties, dropped passes and sacks -- why? MM must find a solution for starting the offense more efficiently.

I'm not sure I buy the Holmgren bit.

bobblehead
11-04-2009, 11:29 AM

I've stated my belief many times that this stems from his non competitive practices. I think players get in the habit of going through the motions (so they can be assignment sure), and then they get whooped from a physical standpoint in the first half of games. By the time the juices are flowing and they are being competitive again its an uphill climb.

I base this opinion from things I have read and things I see on the field. I see so many piss poor efforts early in games that it makes me wanna scream....anyone think for a moment Holmgren would put up with that for long?? He would have the offenders working twice as hard and aggressively in practice the entire next week to make sure it didn't happen again.

Freak Out
11-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Does M3 script the first few series of plays?

Partial
11-04-2009, 11:43 AM

http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/doug/110409dmgregbedard.mp3

Yes.

Freak Out
11-04-2009, 11:57 AM

http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/doug/110409dmgregbedard.mp3

Yes.

Thanks P.

pbmax
11-04-2009, 12:49 PM

I've stated my belief many times that this stems from his non competitive practices. I think players get in the habit of going through the motions (so they can be assignment sure), and then they get whooped from a physical standpoint in the first half of games. By the time the juices are flowing and they are being competitive again its an uphill climb.

I base this opinion from things I have read and things I see on the field. I see so many piss poor efforts early in games that it makes me wanna scream....anyone think for a moment Holmgren would put up with that for long?? He would have the offenders working twice as hard and aggressively in practice the entire next week to make sure it didn't happen again.
Holmgren didn't do any hitting during the season either. And McCarthy has gone live hitting after one game this year. He also did live hitting with Green. I don't know of any information that this has changed much in teh past decade and 1/2.

g4orce
11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
man, that is some pretty alarming stats.

maybe we will get that cleaned up too!

Fritz
11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I think its more granular. We don't score as many points as you would think given our yardage at almost any point in the game. I think the penalties, sacks and bad special teams make the field much longer for us than for the opponent.

Penalties, sacks, special teams, oh my.

Pay no attention to that coach behind the curtain!