PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay blast from the past

KYPack
11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
We've seen a lot of the throwback jerseys this year. Too much, IMHO. I mean, has everybody seen enough of the New York Titan uni? Or the Broncos old vertical striped socks? Although I do like some of the guys making barber poles out of their socks.

Another old time jersey will literally be brought back out of the closet this weekend. When we play TB, they will be wearing their old orange, creamsicle colored uni's with the funny logo pirate on the helmet.

When I started this post, I was gonna call the Buccaneer dude on the logo, "Bruce". Then I thought that would be a tad homophobic, so I googled the name of the guy. His name WAS "Bruce".
Bucco Bruce was the name of the fellow who adorned the Bucs helmets for the first twenty years of the franchise's existence. Most believe that he was a fictional character, designed to illustrate a style, virility, and daring befitting a warrior in the National Football League. Other people thought he was out of Key West, on holiday from Fire Island. I mean, did he have to be winking like that?

The Bucco's are keying up for this game, hoping to make it their first win. Lee Roy Selmon will be honored (about time) and other Bucs are being brought in for this game.

Are we gonna be wearing some strange, old road jersey? Has anyone heard?

Packgator
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Another old time jersey will literally be brought back out of the closet this weekend. When we play TB, they will be wearing their old orange, creamsicle colored uni's with the funny logo pirate on the helmet.

TB's play this year is worthy of those uniforms. They have been bad.

They've also had trouble selling tickets all year. Should be a ton of Packer fans in the stands Sunday.

KYPack
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM

They've also had trouble selling tickets all year. Should be a ton of Packer fans in the stands Sunday.

We used to toss some wicked fun Packer parties at the old sombrero. We all would gather at an old HOJo's that still had the HoJo markings, but used another name. Nobody bought tickets in advance, we just got 'em locally and sat in a group someplace.

The party ended when the Yucks got good and went to the Pewter uni's. So for that fact, I miss the creamsicle yucks.

Cheesehead Craig
11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
We've seen a lot of the throwback jerseys this year. Too much, IMHO. I mean, has everybody seen enough of the New York Titan uni?
Hell yes.

CaptainKickass
11-04-2009, 11:54 AM
The old Tampa jerseys were the inspiration for my nickname for them:

"The Tampon Bay Fuckin' Queers"

:D

KYPack
11-04-2009, 12:24 PM
The old Tampa jerseys were the inspiration for my nickname for them:

"The Tampon Bay Fuckin' Queers"

:D

Thanks for handling the homophobic work, CKA.

Pugger
11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I remember those Dreamsicle uniforms! I'll never forget the game in 1985 in the blizzard when the bucs wore their old all white unis. My hubby and I were at that game! We couldn't get the car out of the garage so we walked/trudged 3 blocks to the Goal Post Inn in Bellevue to take their bus. When we got to Lambeau there were unused tickets scattered all over the ground at the entrances! If you could get there without a ticket you could've found one and got in. Everyone had 50 yard line seats that day! I suppose there were 20,000 fans total there that day. Eventually everyone huddled in the south end zone so the blowing snow would be at our backs. I had to keep scooping snow out of my beer cup! :D You couldn't see the plays very well at the other end of the field but I remember seeing fans using flat cardboard boxes tobaggoning down the aisles! It was wild watching the GB players slide on their tummies after the game. Didn't John McCay bitch about that game for years afterwards? Crazy day for sure and I'll never forget it. Of course now there are 100,000 folks who say they were there, just like the Ice Bowl. :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I remember those Dreamsicle uniforms! I'll never forget the game in 1985 in the blizzard when the bucs wore their old all white unis. My hubby and I were at that game! We couldn't get the car out of the garage so we walked/trudged 3 blocks to the Goal Post Inn in Bellevue to take their bus. When we got to Lambeau there were unused tickets scattered all over the ground at the entrances! If you could get there without a ticket you could've found one and got in. Everyone had 50 yard line seats that day! I suppose there were 20,000 fans total there that day. Eventually everyone huddled in the south end zone so the blowing snow would be at our backs. I had to keep scooping snow out of my beer cup! :D You couldn't see the plays very well at the other end of the field but I remember seeing fans using flat cardboard boxes tobaggoning down the aisles! It was wild watching the GB players slide on their tummies after the game. Didn't John McCay bitch about that game for years afterwards? Crazy day for sure and I'll never forget it. Of course now there are 100,000 folks who say they were there, just like the Ice Bowl. :lol:

I was there too!! Twice!!

Seriously, that's a cool story...

KYPack
11-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Any game that has climate conditions that inhibit beer drinking is to be avoided.

I remember a play from that game in which one of our guys recovered a fumble or muffed kick by pretending it was in one spot, then diving to the "real" location, outwitting couple Bucs. Anyone recall that deal?

That was a classic. The Battle of the Bays was always interesting no matter how bad both teams were.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-04-2009, 03:22 PM

We used to toss some wicked fun Packer parties at the old sombrero. We all would gather at an old HOJo's that still had the HoJo markings, but used another name. Nobody bought tickets in advance, we just got 'em locally and sat in a group someplace.

The party ended when the Yucks got good and went to the Pewter uni's. So for that fact, I miss the creamsicle yucks.

The Mons!!!!!! :twisted:

Sparkey
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Since the Buc's are again an inept team, I thought it would be fun to look back at one of the funniest quotes from a coach of all times....

This frustration, and even anger, that Buccaneer fans targeted at McKay—which prompted the brief popularity of bumper stickers that proclaimed "Throw McKay in the Bay"--stemmed from the team's notorious 26-game regular season losing streak, including their then-record 0-14 season (a record since broken by the 2008 Detroit Lions, who went 0-16). The Bucs lost every game in their inaugural season, and their first 12 games the following year. The team became the butt of many jokes, especially from Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show, but also from the fans themselves, who late into the 1977 season, wore bags on their heads and encouraged the team to "go for 0," as in zero wins. After a particularly dismal effort during the streak, coach McKay gave perhaps the quintessential comment on the team's plight. In a post-game press conference, Tampa Tribune sports editor Tom McEwen asked McKay about the execution of his team's offensive line. McKay responded, "I'm in favor of it." Another choice quotation that summed up his frustration at the time: "We can't win at home, we can't win on the road, so we were going to petition the league for a neutral site."

KYPack
11-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Ty can get under my skin, too. But he is a gentleman of distinction, that can be said.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-04-2009, 07:13 PM

Ty can get under my skin, too. But he is a gentleman of distinction, that can be said.

Citadel players LOVE The Mons!!!!!

hoosier
11-04-2009, 07:38 PM

The Alfonso Carreker sack of Steve Young that day was a classic, where Young got up and instead of dirt in his facemask he had a big chunk of snow. That game was Carreker's 60 minutes of fame.

MJZiggy
11-04-2009, 08:46 PM

I loved the Sombrero!! We probably tailgated together once or twice and didn't even know it. I moved into town a season or two before the color switch. Those old uni's were so...so...cheerful!

Badgerinmaine
11-05-2009, 05:10 AM
I think it's cool they'll have the old uniforms for Sunday--it'll look like an old-fashioned NFC Central Division game. As for the AFL throwbacks: Yeah, the N.Y. Titans unis are drab, but I like a lot of the throwbacks far better than what the teams are wearing now--especially the Patriots, Bills and Chargers.

Iron Mike
11-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Are we gonna be wearing some strange, old road jersey? Has anyone heard?

I think we should sport the 1994 proposed uni change:

http://chancemichaels.tripod.com/packers_images/1994proposed.gif

Smidgeon
11-05-2009, 10:04 AM

I like this jersey.

mraynrand
11-05-2009, 10:09 AM

I like this jersey.

Plus it's accurate as shown - with respect to Favre.

Pugger
11-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Will the Pack wear throw backs this Sunday? :?: