PDA

View Full Version : Mark Tauscher likely to start at right tackle

packers11
11-04-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091104/PKR01/91104174/1058/Tauscher-seems-likely-to-start-at-RT

Clifton and Tausch will both be starting if everything goes according to plan... I thought going into this game I wouldn't be that interested (like the Lions/Browns) but now I can watch something when the blow out occurs...

rbaloha1
11-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Nice move. Maybe pass protection problems are fixed.

Partial
11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Good to see. This is the way the line was meant to look.

Bretsky
11-04-2009, 09:14 PM
gives more hope for the season

BF4MVP
11-04-2009, 09:45 PM
A week late :(

Nice that they're finally making the move, though.

Me thinks we really won't know how much it helps until the 15th, though.

pbmax
11-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Not good for the running game though. JSO seemed less positive about Tauscher. It will probably keep Rodgers upright.

pbmax
11-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Not good for the running game though. JSO seemed less positive about Tauscher. It will probably keep Rodgers upright.
Check that. McCarthy (or some Packer source) apparently said Tauscher got the majority of snaps to both JSO and GBPG.

Scott Campbell
11-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm going against conventional wisdom, and am not crazy about this. The young guys need to play.

Bossman641
11-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm fine with Clifton at LT, but I have a feeling Tauscher is gonna be a shell of himself out there. Hope I'm wrong.

denverYooper
11-05-2009, 01:02 AM

But will it get the ball out of his hand faster? *If* they do give him more time and better protection, we'll soon find out the answer...

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm going against conventional wisdom, and am not crazy about this. The young guys need to play.

Ty is with Scott.

Badgerinmaine
11-05-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm fine with Clifton at LT, but I have a feeling Tauscher is gonna be a shell of himself out there. Hope I'm wrong.
I hope you're wrong but fear you're right.

Fritz
11-05-2009, 06:29 AM

This is what I believe.

MichiganPackerFan
11-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Ty is with Scott.

I think that going with our old faithfuls will help in the short term and allow the younger guys to develop in practice and learn from the vets. On the other hand, if we were 1-7, there's no reason to play the old guys (unless prevention of AR having every bone in his body broken is important!)

pbmax
11-05-2009, 07:48 AM

But will it get the ball out of his hand faster? *If* they do give him more time and better protection, we'll soon find out the answer...
RG and MAR were debating this earlier this week. I think each plays a part in the other's performance, but I think one happened first. I don't think Rodgers was indecisive early or was watching the line for pressure until the walls fell in on him the first two games. Then he regressed, which kept the ball in his hand longer and made the line's job harder.

He needs a few clean games to get his confidence back. Cliffy and Tausch may help, but it going to come at a cost of the running game. However at this point, keeping Rodgers upright is job No. 1, especially since the running game is in neutral.

It does reinforce a message to younger players in a West Coast Offense. You better be able to pass block or there may not be a starting job for you here. Unfortunately, the Packers won't reap the benefit for at least a year if this lineup remains.

Maxie the Taxi
11-05-2009, 09:50 AM

Ty is with Scott.

I'm with Scott but not with Ty. :shock:

(Maxie wants MM to run the ball more...a lot more. He thinks consistent rushing attempts -- even if it results in several, early three and outs -- will make the OL more cohesive and, in the long run, put them into a position to succeed when pass blocking.) :shock:

Maxie will continue to say this often because it irritates Ty. :shock:

Cheesehead Craig
11-05-2009, 10:42 AM
While normally I would be with the "let the younger guys play" there comes a point where your QB taking that many hits isn't worth it any longer. Now, you can argue that Rodgers holds the ball too long, but I don't think that it's much worse than last year and he's almost at the # of sacks after 7 games this year as he was all of last year (34 vs 31). While this may not benefit the run game, Grant and Green are not our future while Rodgers is, so we need to put more of an emphasis on protecting our future.

rbaloha1
11-05-2009, 10:43 AM

We need to win now!

mraynrand
11-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Clifton and Tauscher are the future.

rbaloha1
11-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Hope you are wrong.

Smidgeon
11-05-2009, 11:35 AM

If by "the future" you mean "Sunday", then: yes.

Merlin
11-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Rest assured that this is only temporary this season. McCarthy: "We decided to go with the young guys" when asked if Clifton and Tauscher were ready why didn't they play. That idiocy comes straight from the top, play the young guys, Rodgers - bah he's young he can afford to take a few hits.

Freak Out
11-05-2009, 11:59 AM
They had to do something because Rodgers was getting beat to a pulp out there.....is this going to help long term? No....but if it keeps him on his feet more for the rest of the way then great. It's not like they can't go back if it's actually worse.

....does Campen still have a job after all this? Is there no one else out there that can come in and coach these guys?

g4orce
11-05-2009, 12:35 PM
The real question is will we have this same problem next season. Will we have to get Clifton and Tauscher back again?

MichiganPackerFan
11-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I think I officially HATE the zone blocking. It's such a varient from power running. Football is tough and tough teams win. You don't "POUND THE BALL" in the ZBS. It's dainty and NOT PACKERS FOOTBALL. Let your O-Line get up in someone's face and force the ball down their throat. This soft stuff does not belong in the black & blue division.

Packers4Ever
11-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Ty is with Scott.

Maybe so, but too many young guys on O is what
gave us this problem in

the first place ! It's past time to get a few good

men in there who don't need to be shifted around

every other play !! We're halfway

through the season already, time's a-goin' fellas !

Brandon494
11-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Ty is with Scott.

As much as I like Lang I think Clifton and Tauscher are the better tackles as far as pass protection. We might not be as strong at run blocking with them but this time right build to pass. IF they can block alittle better and IF AR starts making faster reads I think this offense could get back to the preseason form.

packerbacker1234
11-05-2009, 04:24 PM
NOTE: For those worrying about the "run game", we haven't had one all season with the young guys... so how can Cliffy and Tausch give us anything worse?

If anything, we should see an improvement, as grant had a decent year last year, and a great year in 07, with these guys as the tackles.

Cliffy not playing last week was a good move IMO. He hasn't played a full game since week 1, no need to rush him in against one of the best DE's in the game. Tausch may have needed an extra week of conditioning, who knows. Working them back in as starters against a really weak opponent is also a smart move too. Get their feet wet before having to face the better defenses down the road (baltimore, pitt)

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 04:53 PM

Ty is with Scott.

I'm with Scott but not with Ty. :shock:

(Maxie wants MM to run the ball more...a lot more. He thinks consistent rushing attempts -- even if it results in several, early three and outs -- will make the OL more cohesive and, in the long run, put them into a position to succeed when pass blocking.) :shock:

Maxie will continue to say this often because it irritates Ty. :shock:

Why do you hate Green bay?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Ty is with Scott.

Maybe so, but too many young guys on O is what
gave us this problem in

the first place ! It's past time to get a few good

men in there who don't need to be shifted around

every other play !! We're halfway

through the season already, time's a-goin' fellas !

Need to be shifted? You do realize it is because of the OLD guys that the young guys were shifted?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 04:56 PM
NOTE: For those worrying about the "run game", we haven't had one all season with the young guys... so how can Cliffy and Tausch give us anything worse?

If anything, we should see an improvement, as grant had a decent year last year, and a great year in 07, with these guys as the tackles.

Cliffy not playing last week was a good move IMO. He hasn't played a full game since week 1, no need to rush him in against one of the best DE's in the game. Tausch may have needed an extra week of conditioning, who knows. Working them back in as starters against a really weak opponent is also a smart move too. Get their feet wet before having to face the better defenses down the road (baltimore, pitt)

Ty must have imagined Grant being in the top 10 prior to the vikings game.

packerbacker1234
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Must have, given he has 1 or 2 100 + yard rushing games, and is barely sniffing the endzone. You subtract AR's rushing stats and were one of the bottom feeders in terms of rushing.

packerbacker1234
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Grant is currently #10 in the league, averaging 75 yards a game and has 3 rushing TD's.

Looking at the list, I think being in the otp 10 doesn't mean much. #9 is Brandon Jacobs who averages 68 yards a game, and there are 4 others ahead averaging under 100, a couple under 90. I think overall you can pin that on the weakness of the run game this year across the league. Grant has hardly done much this year. Some isn't his fault. NFL.com has him at 4.1 yards per carry, so part of it could be MM just not running it.

Still, 75 yards a game and 3 TD's is not good numbers half way through a season. It doesn't matter what way you slice it. He is in the top 10 in the league, but not because he has anything special to be there, it's because everyone else is not doing too well.

pbmax
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Rest assured that this is only temporary this season. McCarthy: "We decided to go with the young guys" when asked if Clifton and Tauscher were ready why didn't they play. That idiocy comes straight from the top, play the young guys, Rodgers - bah he's young he can afford to take a few hits.
Yes, that is why Clifton and Tauscher are on the roster, so T2 can torture poor message board posters by first having the youngest team, then signing veterans and THEN ordering them not played. That is why Ahman Green didn't play versus the Vikings last week. And I bet you noticed that Driver didn't play either. Al Harris and Woodson were curiously absent as well. We are lucky to have lost by less than 20.

It can't have ANYTHING to do with their health and ability to function at a high level, or practice without limitations. Those are all smokescreens.

:roll:

pbmax
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Teach them well and let them lead the way.

pbmax
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I think I officially HATE the zone blocking. It's such a varient from power running. Football is tough and tough teams win. You don't "POUND THE BALL" in the ZBS. It's dainty and NOT PACKERS FOOTBALL. Let your O-Line get up in someone's face and force the ball down their throat. This soft stuff does not belong in the black & blue division.
Yes, because the 49ers never won a Super Bowl cut blocking. And those cheating Broncos didn't either.

pbmax
11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes, because the 49ers never won a Super Bowl cut blocking. And those cheating Broncos didn't either.
And those pansy assed Steelers of the 70s didn't win Super Bowls by trap blocking. Weaklings on steroids resort to subterfuge! Real men run fullback dives!

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Must have, given he has 1 or 2 100 + yard rushing games, and is barely sniffing the endzone. You subtract AR's rushing stats and were one of the bottom feeders in terms of rushing.

You might wanna check your facts about Grant. :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Grant is currently #10 in the league, averaging 75 yards a game and has 3 rushing TD's.

Looking at the list, I think being in the otp 10 doesn't mean much. #9 is Brandon Jacobs who averages 68 yards a game, and there are 4 others ahead averaging under 100, a couple under 90. I think overall you can pin that on the weakness of the run game this year across the league. Grant has hardly done much this year. Some isn't his fault. NFL.com has him at 4.1 yards per carry, so part of it could be MM just not running it.

Still, 75 yards a game and 3 TD's is not good numbers half way through a season. It doesn't matter what way you slice it. He is in the top 10 in the league, but not because he has anything special to be there, it's because everyone else is not doing too well.

Translation: The facts dont' agree with me so what i will do is disagree with the importance of being in the top 10. :lol:

If being in the top 10 doesn't mean anything cause the rest of the league isn't doing so well...then, your issue with our line is pretty bogus.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
And those pansy assed Steelers of the 70s didn't win Super Bowls by trap blocking. Weaklings on steroids resort to subterfuge! Real men run fullback dives!

The part of PBmax is being played by Ty this week!

Dang, PB getting all sarcastic!

MichiganPackerFan
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM

Damn right, they're sons of bitches!!!

Don't be trying to stomp on my emotion with all your fancy-pants facts and logic.

Fritz
11-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Translation: The facts dont' agree with me so what i will do is disagree with the importance of being in the top 10. :lol:

If being in the top 10 doesn't mean anything cause the rest of the league isn't doing so well...then, your issue with our line is pretty bogus.

I see this as an epidemic in this country: make bold statements. When someone brings up facts, statistics, and evidence that contradict the bold statement, claim that the facts, statistics and evidence don't matter.

The next step is to go on to say that dammit, only hard, cold facts matter and damn the pansy-asses who are wishy-washy.

My god, people have taken Stephen Colbert seriously.

mraynrand
11-05-2009, 08:30 PM

GIVE ME THAT FULLBACK DIVE!

http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/?action=view&current=fullbackDIVE.flv

Partial
11-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Tausch Interview. Guy is a solid interview.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/69316057.html

MJZiggy
11-06-2009, 06:37 AM
I read the comments. Packer Nation is a mess. :(

Bretsky
11-06-2009, 07:11 AM

all will be good until we lose to the Vikings again in the playoffs :wink:

denverYooper
11-06-2009, 09:02 AM

JSO's comments section is not a great representative sample of Packer Nation.

bobblehead
11-06-2009, 12:01 PM

Even if we pummel the vikings in the playoffs things will get ugly here. Some "packer" fans want BF to stick it to us, and some fans won't be able to take the high road if we beat them.

Personally, my version of a post Christmas miracle, beating the vikings would make me giddy, but I would focus on who's next before I would bother rubbing anyones nose in it.

mraynrand
11-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Even if we pummel the vikings in the playoffs things will get ugly here. Some "packer" fans want BF to stick it to us, and some fans won't be able to take the high road if we beat them.

Personally, my version of a post Christmas miracle, beating the vikings would make me giddy, but I would focus on who's next before I would bother rubbing anyones nose in it.

The only noses I want to rub in it are the Vikings. I don't have animosity to the 'Favre First' fans here. They are what they are - Favre fans. I do admit I get annoyed when they try to deny it, but there are only a handful like that. Nutz for example, is very open about cheering for Favre and wanting him to stick it to the Pack. I can deal with that kind of honesty. I don't like it, but I can deal with it.

Maxie the Taxi
11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Now that Favre has beat the Pack twice, what incentive does he have to finish the season?

Smidgeon
11-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Now that Favre has beat the Pack twice, what incentive does he have to finish the season?

(Disclaimer: Sarcasm ahead)

Certainly not the playoffs or Super Bowl. Neither were motivation enough the last two years (Super Bowl in 2007, playoffs in 2008).

(Note: Sarcasm ended).

mraynrand
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Zig brought that up in another thread. I find it to be very interesting. Favre claims he has noting to prove. I beg to differ. I think he has to prove that he can get through a December without fading like those Wrangler jeans he tries to sell. It will be interesting to see if he can stay sharp all the way through the playoffs and into the Superbowl. It will also be interesting to see what happens if he is faced with another Elway moment, like that chance he had to run for a score against the Vikings in the 2004 wildcard. Will he fold like he did against Pittsburgh after those turnovers or will he give up his old carcass to try and win one for the Nordics.

Maxie the Taxi
11-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Zig brought that up in another thread. I find it to be very interesting. Favre claims he has noting to prove. I beg to differ. I think he has to prove that he can get through a December without fading like those Wrangler jeans he tries to sell. It will be interesting to see if he can stay sharp all the way through the playoffs and into the Superbowl. It will also be interesting to see what happens if he is faced with another Elway moment, like that chance he had to run for a score against the Vikings in the 2004 wildcard. Will he fold like he did against Pittsburgh after those turnovers or will he give up his old carcass to try and win one for the Nordics.

I mentioned in another thread that Favre is an extremely emotional player. He was in tears after the 2nd GB win. That kind of tells me beating the Pack meant way more to him than he would admit. I don't know if he's got enough emotional gas left in him to go deep into the playoffs.